PDA

View Full Version : Questions for all New York PT'ers!

CultureJunky
11-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Hello everyone,

Next Monday (A week from now) I'm off on holiday to New York, I'm veryexcited as I've never been there before and it's my first big holiday far away having previously only visited Paris.

So I know there are quite a few pet talkers on here from NY and was wondering if you could give me advice on some really good shops that are around, the ones that you may know being a native that wouldn't be hugely known or touristy.

I'm looking for some really nice gift shops, cheap(ish) clothing, like discount kind of stores and also some really nice places to eat that are not too expensive?

And any other advice about stuff that you may think I might like to know?

Kate

moosmom
11-05-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm not from NY but go to NYC every year. One suggestion would be to just walk around, enjoy the sights. Just walking around you'll find some really cool, inexpensive shops with unique gifts. Don't forget the museums. They are phenomenal too have also have giftshops.

Have a great time!

Edwina's Secretary
11-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I agree with Donna...the museum gift shops are wonder. MOMA has one at Rockefeller Plaza. It is terrific. There are often craft shows taking place somewhere.

As for discount clothes...I can't think of the name of it...but right across the street from Macy's.

And for fun shopping...go to Battery Park (you'll want to catch the ferry to Ellis Island from there. Ellis Island also has a great gift shop....) There are artist and artist wanabees and just plain people making a living selling all kinds of things. I bought a painting from a Haitian guy there once. He assured me one day he'll be famous and I will own one of his paintings!

moosmom
11-05-2007, 11:38 AM
*sigh* I'm homesick for NYC. The hustle and bustle of the city is like no other.

Anyone care to help organize a group trip to meet and nosh in the famous city? Possibly in the spring. Whenever is fine with me.

cassiesmom
11-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Culture Junky, my niece (26 years old) lives in NYC. She and friends queue for last-minute, discounted Broadway show tickets at the TKTS booth. They post a list each day of what shows they have tickets for, and what the prices are. People get in the queue before the office opens. The line sometimes looks long, but after the office opens it goes really fast. I don't think the TKTS booth takes charge cards, but that may have changed since my niece and friends last got tickets there. I do know they have a first, second and third choice in mind when they purchase tickets from TKTS. Not every show is available every day, or sometimes the show they want has run out of tickets before they get up to the window. Don't buy them from someone on the street; the last thing you want to do is buy counterfeit tickets. The one at Times Square doesn't carry tickets for musicals or dance performances, but only for plays - use the TKTS at South Street Seaport for those.

I'm not exactly sure why, but if you want a bagel and cream cheese at a New York Deli, they refer to it as a bagel and a schmear.

My niece told me it's really hard to get tickets for Saturday Night Live but you can get rehearsal tickets, and those are not as difficult to come by.

And Moosmom, just name the date and I'm there. My niece LOVES living there. She doesn't even have a car but gets to wherever she needs to be via public transit or sometimes a taxi.

jackie
11-05-2007, 03:16 PM
OMG I love NY shopping.

Cheap clothing is Century 21, I love it there, or there is a big place that you have to get to by the train, about an hour from NY, can't remember the name, but will find out. They have a lot of designer stuff (chanel, Betsy Johnson, coach, etc, super cheap).

I love it there!!!

moosmom
11-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Cassiesmom,

I take the train in from New Haven. It's cheap. I usually go for the weekend and stay at a place near the theater district.

There is a great department store that has discounted clothes. Last time I went there, it was right across the street from the Twin Towers.

I'm going to post something in general just to get the word out.

smokey the elder
11-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Places to get good eats: Hell's Kitchen (around 45-52nd st and 9th ave, I think? It's been a few years), Chinatown!, and Greenwich Village. I ate at a really good Vietnamese restaurant in Hell's Kitchen, a Thai place in the Village, and a Malaysian place in Chinatown. All were very reasonable in price.

Shopping: the Village, Chinatown; the "standands" on 5th and Madison, but the latter can be pricey. There used to be this enormous indoor market west of Grand Central on 42nd St. but I'm not sure if it still exists.

CultureJunky
11-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks for those suggestions, off tomorrow now, I'm very excited but really nervous too!! :D :eek:

cyber-sibes
11-11-2007, 01:29 PM
And any other advice about stuff that you may think I might like to know? KateBe very careful - last time I was in NY my car was broken into & I was robbed - right in front of the Cooper-Hewitt Museum. :mad:

critter crazy
11-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Wish I could help, but I have so far only made it to the Bronx, have yet to make it to NYC. Would love to go soon tho!:)