PDA

View Full Version : A bit early for Christmas gifts ideas, but....

catnapper
11-04-2007, 09:09 AM
My mom is coming up today to go Christmas shopping for the kids, and my youngest wants money to save towards a laptop. She's doing a good job saving herself, and isn't sure where she'll end up buying the laptop, so I can't exactly ask mom to get a $50 gift card to Circuit City not knowing if she'll end up buying it at Best Buy, etc.

Any ideas for laptop accessories my mom can get her? Mom typically spends $50 on each kid (and goes way overboard for Cam, but don't we all? ;))

She's a high school senior going to college next year. Not sure which college yet, but its going to be something in the medical field (not a doctor, but some kind of tech -- X-ray or MRI tech etc.) She likes to do all the typical stuff teens are into... IMing, music, Myspace, Facebook, games, etc. I have no idea what accessories one might need with a laptop since I don't have one. All I can think of are a few memory sticks. That wouldn't excite me to get as a gift :p

moosmom
11-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Kim,

How about an American Express giftcard?? They sell them at banks and retails stores. This way Heather can spend it wherever she decides to buy her laptop.

catnapper
11-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Mom looked into that last year and was told they have an activation fee.... did they change that? She didn't want to give a $50 gift card only to have them end up with $45 to spend (or something like that)

Rachel
11-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey, Personally I'm fan of good giving good old hard currency. I guess some people don't think that's enough of an effort but I too want all my gift put to use and none wasted. I've seen too many purchased gifts tossed aside with indifference and since the $$ used in gift giving are hard earned, I just can't get excited about buying presents unless I'm certain of what the recipient wants or needs.

catnapper
11-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Thats the tough question, isn't it? Mom (and I) want to put some thought and effort into a gift. After all, if we all just exchange cash or gift cards, then why bother? I mean, I could hand mom $50 cash and she could hand me the same. I think gifts should include some thought. Not just a last minute stop at WaWa to pick up a gift card at the counter on your way to someone's house... have you seen how many gift cards they offer? Best Buy, Barnes and Nobles, AmEx, etc. They have them all!

Then again, at least a gift card is almost certain to be used. Unless of course its like my uncle who gave us a card to the candle store when we're allergic to all the scents. Then I feel guilty not using it.

The big exciting gift that I asked mom for myself and hubby? New feather pillows for our bed. She must think I've lost my marbles, but its what I want! LOL Its something I'd never buy for myself but will be useful every night! :D

jennielynn1970
11-04-2007, 09:51 AM
What about a nice set of portable speakers for the laptop?? Or a flash drive so she can save things to it and use it on other computers at school if she can't take her computer with her that day (WP docs etc...).

AbbyMom
11-04-2007, 10:04 AM
How about one of those backpacks designed specifically for holding laptops for students? They're heavy and if she ends up hauling it around, her shoulder will begin hurting. (Speaking from experience here).

P.S. When I started giving cash instead of purchased gifts to the nieces and nephews, I suddenly became the most popular aunt. ;)

anna_66
11-05-2007, 07:34 AM
My brother sent us a MC gift card and there was no activation fee on it. I used it to buy a corless mouse for our lap, I love it!

Hellow
11-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Well, i would reccommend a web camera for the iming and a microphone for the same thing. I would also reccommend a carrying case and a wireless travel mouse.
PS: im going to be getting about $800 for christmas so im going to buy a HP dv6500t laptop: http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/images/cto/nb_entertainment_190.gif

emily_the_spoiled
11-05-2007, 08:56 AM
What about something like a wireless mouse? (She may get really tired of the mouse feature on a laptop.)

Here is a link for www.cnet.com and their peripherals. They are divided out by price, so you can lookat way if you want.

http://shopper.cnet.com/2001-3132_9-0.html?tag=shfd.dir

mina'smomma
11-05-2007, 10:52 AM
There are all types of accessories that are for laptops. As stated a wireless mouse, a webcam, some software for photos, a hard case carrier will be very nice especially if she goes away to college next year. (I was always glad to have mine when my nieces and nephews were visiting because then it didn't get damaged.) You could also buy her a photo printer that she could use.

Freedom
11-05-2007, 02:06 PM
When I bought my laptop, I was amazed at how many "other" things I HAD to have. Many of them you need toi know the size of the laptop (like the shoulder bag I bought; the one I LIKED was too small. :rolleyes: ) I see someone mentioned a jump drive, yup that is a great one, works no matter which one she buys. Is she planning to buy the laptop at the sales on the Friday after Thanksgiving? That would still leave plenty of time for ANOTHER shopping trip to get the bag for it.

Staples sells retractable connectors for your laptop to connect to the printer it's about $10, and that was a great item for me. (The printer is set up connecte to the desktop.) I also got the mouse with the retractable cord, easier for me than worrying about batteries. The laptop I decided on did not come with Microsoft Office (home / student edition) only with MS Works. So I bought that as well.

cassiesmom
11-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Hmmm, Circuit City or Best Buy? I'm thinking a college-bound student wouldn't have a problem spending $50 in either of those.

Hellow
11-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Also, dont waste your money on an office suite such as MS Office when you can find free ones such as Open Office ( www.openoffice.org ). The same for programs such as Photoshop, there is an program called GIMP ( www.gimp.org ) thats free.

emily_the_spoiled
11-05-2007, 03:24 PM
If your daughter is going to be a student next year I would avoid purchasing software for a computer. Universities and community colleges get exceptional discounts on software, so she is better off buying it herself because of the cost.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-05-2007, 04:29 PM
I highly recommend she get an external hard drive to back up her computer. Everyone should get into the habit of doing that at least once daily, especially a student who will have important school work on her computer. A best Buy or Circuit City gift card can go toward that.

Hellow
11-05-2007, 04:37 PM
I highly recommend she get an external hard drive to back up her computer. Everyone should get into the habit of doing that at least once daily, especially a student who will have important school work on her computer. A best Buy or Circuit City gift card can go toward that.\

I also reccommend that. Even though i dont do it because i have nothing of real importance on my laptop, i would reccommend a Maxtor or a Mybook external hard drive.