PDA

View Full Version : I am bunny sitting

caseysmom
11-03-2007, 03:20 PM
I just bought some really good corn, zuccini and cucumbers..can my bunny nephew have those? Does the corn and zuccini need to be cooked?

tatsxxx11
11-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Awww! What a good auntie!:) You'll get lots of good info. if you post this in "Pets General!":) I'm a pro with guinea pigs but don't have any knowledge on bunny eating etiquette re: what food is good for them but doubt the veggies need to be cooked, but best to hear from the pros!:D Have fun bunny sitting!

Karen
11-03-2007, 04:44 PM
No need to cook anything! Miss Hoppy never had any interest in zucchini or cucumber, and as they are mostly water, I'd skip them, but the corn he can nibble raw right off the cob - and even the husks are munchable!

And I moved this to Pet General for you!

caseysmom
11-03-2007, 09:28 PM
oooppsss I don't know where I posted it, I meant to put it in pet general. Thanks Karen I will take him some corn.

Marigold2
11-05-2007, 08:11 PM
A SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT CORN AND OTHER SEEDS

Some types of seeds (especially things like "Canadian peas" and corn kernels) have hulls that are indigestible to a rabbit, and can cause life-threatening intestinal impactions/blockages.

Corn, fresh or dried, is NOT safe for rabbits. The hull of corn kernels is composed of a complex polysaccharide (not cellulose and pectin, of which plant cell walls are more commonly composed, and which a rabbit can digest) which rabbits cannot digest. We know of more than one rabbit who suffered intestinal impactions because of the indigestible corn hulls. After emergency medical treatment, when the poor rabbits finally passed the corn, their fecal pellets were nearly solid corn hulls! Those rabbits were lucky.

caseysmom
11-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks Marigold, I know my sister gives him corn I just wasn't sure if it was cooked or not, he has had corn quite a bit with no problem.

Karen
11-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Miss Hoppy has eaten corn for most of her ten years of life with no problems at all. She is a small bunny, maybe she chops the hulls into smaller pieces than larger rabbits do?

Marigold2
11-06-2007, 08:33 AM
I got this info off of the web. I think House Rabbit Society also warns against corn but when I looked last night I could not find it. I am glad Miss Hoppy is fine, saw the video and it was so cute. Very precious little girl.

There are several websites that list all the foods buns can have. It's a wide varity that I try very hard to give both of mine. I have a list from a website called Annie & Emmie's Carrot Patch http://rabbitcare.cjb.net
Hope that helps. Have fun bunny sitting.

buttercup132
11-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Ive read corn is bad too, maybe thats cooked corn though.