PDA

View Full Version : Hunter recovering after being shot by dog

anna_66
11-03-2007, 06:16 AM
Hunter recovering after being shot by dog (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21545181/?GT1=10547)

Pooch accidentally stepped on owner's shotgun, Iowa official says

updated 10:40 a.m. PT, Tues., Oct. 30, 2007
DES MOINES, Iowa - A hunter is recovering after he was shot in the leg at close range by his dog, who stepped on his shotgun and tripped the trigger, an official said Tuesday.

James Harris, 37, of Tama, was hit in the calf Saturday, the opening day of pheasant season, said Alan Foster, a spokesman with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

“He had surgery and is doing pretty well,” he said. “He took between 100-120 pellets in about a 4-inch circle to his calf.”

Harris was listed in good condition Tuesday, officials at University Hospitals in Iowa City said.

Harris was hunting with a group about three miles north of Grinnell. The group shot a bird, and when Harris went to get it, he put his gun on the ground and crossed a fence. As he crossed the fence, his hunting dog stepped on the gun, Foster said.

The gun was about 3 feet away from his leg.

“The muzzle velocity is so great that the pellets don’t have a chance to spread out,” he said.

No one else was hurt, and the dog was not injured.

Foster said no citations have been issued.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No citations have been issued? Who are they going to charge? The man or the dog :p

Miss Z
11-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Karma, I say. :p

Alysser
11-03-2007, 07:50 AM
I always find these stories quite funny, I mean it's just so weird to hear of a dog "Shooting" someone. In a couple of years, I bet the hunter will be looking back on this and laughing. :p Citations? That was another funny one! ;)

JenBKR
11-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Hopefully he will learn to be more responsible with his guns in the future. It's amazing how quickly and easily an accident can happen.

moosmom
11-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Serves him right for leaving his shotgun LAYING around where a dog can easily step on it.

I'm glad the dog wasn't hurt.

Lady's Human
11-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Safe gun handling 101...............Leave it on safe until you're going to shoot. After shooting, put the gun back on safe. It's a simple concept, really.

RICHARD
11-04-2007, 01:21 AM
And the dog's name?

@^#$%#$)(&()#^%$#

---------------

That's why they are called HUNTING DOGS.....

lizbud
11-04-2007, 04:51 PM
It wasn't Cheney's dog was it? :)

RICHARD
11-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Now that I think about it....

One of my uncle's owned a springer spaniel/hunting dog. From what I have seen, all game dogs are pretty high strung.

Putting a loaded gun on the ground any where near a dog is asking for trouble.......I'd have enough problems just watching myself around the humans..... :eek:

Argranade
11-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Karma, I say. :p
I agree, I bet the pheasant's had a laugh. :D or cluck... chirp.. haha.

-Pickle-
11-10-2007, 07:53 AM
haha. he so deserved that.
oh, if only we could have those illegal fox cub hunters mauled to death by their own pack of hounds, then i would laugh twice as much.

Pam
11-10-2007, 07:58 AM
It wasn't Cheney's dog was it? :)

LOL! Liz!! I bet the hunter will be a little more careful in the future!

Cinder & Smoke
11-10-2007, 09:44 AM
It wasn't Cheney's dog, was it? :)

:D
<snikker>

GOOD One, Liz!!
:cool:

lizbud
11-10-2007, 11:18 AM
:D
<snikker>

GOOD One, Liz!!