PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Website

Giselle
11-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Okay, let me admit: I am just not smart when it comes to computers and technology. However, I'm thinking about creating a website, and I would love some advice. For example, how do I get started??? How much does it cost? Is the payment monthly/yearly? Are there domain scams? How does one design it? If one should choose to hire somebody to format the website, how much does that usually cost?

Also, I'm specifically looking to create a blankname.com website, not a freebie site like geocities.

Karen
11-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Most ISPs allow a subscriber a small website for free. A domain name costs less than $10 a year, use http://www.godaddy.com for the best price, and they have packages there to help you create a website as well.

BC_MoM
11-02-2007, 11:24 PM
I suggest Frozen Midnight Hosting. They are best. I always get the $2 a month plan. And their customer service is excellent. :)

Hellow
11-02-2007, 11:38 PM
I also reccommend godaddy.com (http://www.godaddy.com). They advertise that on the dl.tv online show. Also, if you are an regular watcher of their show (which i am), you can enter the code DLTV, no dot, to save an extra 20% off of your order at checkout. This does not apply to renewal products or bulk domain names. Get your piece of the internet at godaddy.com (http://www.godaddy.com)

Giselle
11-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks!

GoDaddy's custom design plans are a little confusing. $50 a month for 5 pages? :confused: Am I missing something?

So I can buy my own domain name. That seems simple enough; but should I learn to design my own website or hire a private party? Also, in your experience, how hard is designing a website? ;)

Hellow
11-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks!

GoDaddy's custom design plans are a little confusing. $50 a month for 5 pages? :confused: Am I missing something?

So I can buy my own domain name. That seems simple enough; but should I learn to design my own website or hire a private party? Also, in your experience, how hard is designing a website? ;)

If you have experience with HTML and you know how to type an document, its quite easy.

captain
11-02-2007, 11:58 PM
I know the lovely Karen will be able to give you advice ...... :-)

I create websites - pretty basic ones, to advanced ones (but those I am lucky I have some very helpful technical friends).

I am going to guess you don't understand HTML (which is the "language" many websites are written in). Don't worry!!!! If you are a Microsoft lover - you can use Frontpage, and they have templates you can download off the internet. Makes it easier for you.

If you decide you would like to learn HTML - this is a fantastic link
Lisa explains HTML (http://www.lissaexplains.com/)

Also

This site helped me understand alot
HTML Tut (http://www.htmltutorials.ca/)

If you need anything, PM me ... :-)

BitsyNaceyDog
11-03-2007, 02:40 PM
What do you want the website for? If you want a simple blog to write posts and post pictures I'd suggest http://wordpress.com/. There a lot of different designs to choose from and it's really easy to use.

If one should choose to hire somebody to format the website, how much does that usually cost? It depends on what you want. If you're looking for something you can just use for your own personal use you can probably find someone to do the whole site for $500- $1000. If you're looking for something more professional the very least you will probably pay is around $5000 for a static site. Most developers will charge hourly- $50-$100 per hour isn't at all uncommon.

binka_nugget
11-04-2007, 02:53 AM
I highly recommend Magicomm.net. You can buy a domain through them (I think I paid $9), and get a plan for as low as $1 or pay the yearly fee (I think it's lower than $12). The $1 plan is more than most people need too! I get a custom plan for $5.95/month which includes 2 GB space and 30 GB bandwidth.

I've been doing webdesign for over 7 years. This is my most recent site: oh-my-dog.ca It's not hard making a basic site, however, my sites in the beginning were an eyesore. It'll be costly hiring someone. I'd suggest looking on the barter section on craigslist.com There are usually some pretty good non-pro designers who are willing to trade.

vinjashira
11-04-2007, 05:08 AM
This is my most recent site: oh-my-dog.ca
nice website. one question though, why is there a big blank space at the bottom of your web pages?

I use a free software called pagebreeze to do my website. I like it because I can easily switch from HTML editor to WYSIWYG

kimlovescats
11-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I have always used www.homestead.com . It's very easy to follow their website builder and there are different levels of packages you can buy.

Kim

Suki Wingy
11-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Will this be a personal site or an informational site? I can probably help on the graphics.
I bought a domain from Godaddy in July and still haven't put up my site. :o I have the main page and graphics though! It's daft-like-jack.net. I payed $9 a year to own the domain, and got free hosting from godaddy, although there are ads. Last year I payed something like $60 that covered hosting the whole year, no ads. This time I want to find something a little cheaper.
If you end up going through GoDaddy, enter code "MUGGLE" when you check out for a discount.

ilovemypup
11-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi!

This will be soo much fun!

Now.. I don't know about which domains are the best..but when you actually get your website and you need help with things like HTML and stuff like that, I can totally help you with that!
I love codes!!

Good luck!

-alI

ScottieMommy
11-04-2007, 04:56 PM
I know a lot about HTML but have no idea how to start a website :( Well actually i have, but just for fun and the free ones anyways. Yes you can hire someone to do it for you.

What will the website be about?

Giselle
11-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Hopefully, the website will be for an up-and-coming business...hopefully. Stay tuned for more info on that!

Okay, so I was looking at Captain's links, and, it looks pretty simple (HTML codes and whatnot) but I highly doubt I'll be able to produce a nice looking website by myself. So either I can hire somebody or go the homestead.com route, and, seeing as web designers cost several hundred dollars, I'm leaning towards the latter.

That is, unless, I can find a friend/family or somebody to work with.

However, another question, I was reading some of your replies and apparently you have to buy the domain (one time fee) and pay for hosting (monthly/annual fee)? I thought these two were one and the same. I thought once you buy the domain, you're good! :confused:

BitsyNaceyDog
11-04-2007, 07:41 PM
However, another question, I was reading some of your replies and apparently you have to buy the domain (one time fee) and pay for hosting (monthly/annual fee)? I thought these two were one and the same. I thought once you buy the domain, you're good! :confused:
The domain name is an annual fee, though you can usually find places that offer discounts if you pay for multiple years at once.

The hosting is separate. That is usually a monthly charge.

Think of the domain name as land you bought, it's just an address, an empty lot. You need a place to live in and keep all your things and thats where the hosting comes in. Think of the hosting as a rental trailer where you keep all your things. (I hope I didn't confuse you even more.)