PDA

View Full Version : Are your cats indoor or outdoor?

buttercup132
11-02-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't agree with cats going outside and was wondering if any pter's cats are outside cats.
Mine have to option to go out in the back yard when ever they want but it's animal proof, nothing can come in or out.

lvpets2002
11-02-2007, 02:37 PM
;) Indoor Only.. Thats the safest way..

Grace
11-02-2007, 02:43 PM
I answered other. The boys, all 4 of them, can go out. The girls are indoor only.

When we got Reese, our oldest girl, we had just put the indoor-only rule into effect. However, Duffy was then 4 and used to going out, so we let him continue. The other boys arrived after Reese; all of them strays; all have issues with going outdoors. One of them, Red, is neurotic. We think he goes out on the off chance his original owner might show up. Of course, he has been with us for 4 years now.

They are all in every night, and pretty much all day in the winter. Traffic is not an issue - we are at the end of a dead-end, private, dirt road. No one drives down this far - except us. And if they do hear a car, the cats run and hide.

Flatcoatluver
11-02-2007, 02:48 PM
I voted other. The two cat's can go out whenever they want. But I have knoticed that since they are getting older, they don't like to go out as much. Which I prefer.

jazzcat
11-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Mine are indoor only. After Ripley was shot in the leg with an arrow when we first moved here almost 13 years ago I decided no outdoor cats ever.

Taz_Zoee
11-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Growing up we were not allowed to have any pets in the house. Of course that changed when my sister started bringing home her dogs.
But we had cats that were indoor/outdoor, there were no litter boxes in the house.
So when I got Taz I decided he was going to be an indoor only cat. I didn't want to lose another cat to being hit by a car or just disappear and I never know what happens to them.
So Taz is the oldest cat I've ever had (12). And I will do the same with any other cats I get in the future too. :)

cassiesmom
11-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Cassie is strictly an inside gal. If I carry her, she will go out on the balcony, but that's it. My fur-nephew Milo is allowed on the screened-in porch, but he can't go all the way outside without his leash on. He likes the porch because he can see, hear and smell everything that's happening outside. He's not too keen on the leash concept though. Same thing with my best friend and her cat. Outdoors on the balcony only; for the yard at their summer home, she must have her leash on.

Gin
11-02-2007, 03:15 PM
One of each. Striker is indoor, Missy is backyard only, and Sassy is indoor/outdoor, since there is no way to keep him inside. I've tried. Sassy has lots of street smarts, so I no longer worry about him. And Missy does not leave her own yard. I'd like to have all-indoor cats, but I don't like to keep them locked up against their wills either.

carole
11-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Gosh this thread keeps getting brought up alot on this site, anyhow my cats are indoor/outdoor, 95 per cent of cats in NZ are all, i am not saying i totally agree with it, and after being on PT i have realised indoor with an outdoor protected area would be ideal, and what is on my wish list, but it is neither financially viable or practical where i live at the moment, i keep my cats strictly indoor at night times, and two of my cats practically live indoors during the day anyway.

I am at home all day to supervise the cats as much as humanely possible, i know it is not ideal and i do fear for them at times,many times, but i do my best to ensure their safety, i had looked into cat fencing some of my property but it was way out of my reach financially and i also needed my neighbours consent, and i did approach her but she was not too keen because it does not look that great,and even a small part of the section could not be fenced off, it just was impossible to do.

In nz they would think you totally nuts if you kept your cat indoors, and when i say i keep them in at night they still think i am a bit weird, but i donot care, they are the ones who need educating IMO.

However i do have to respectfully disagree with the average life span of an outdoor cat being only 2 years, mine are 12,8,6 and approx 4, the eight and Four year old living a dangerous existence before i adopted them,and i know many nz cats that are well into their senior years of 16 and more.

columbine
11-02-2007, 03:26 PM
In. No fleas, disease, traffic, dogs, catfights, raccoon/porcupine/opossum fights, thieves, or crazies. Just safe food that doesn't bite or rot, clean water, toys, catnip, cuddles, and comfy places to snooze!

Love, Columbine

Glacier
11-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Mine are indoor, but they have a large outdoor enclosure that is escape proof, dog proof, predator proof ect. Boots and Felicia use the enclosure the most. Puff and Ivy won't go in it at all. The others go out occasionally.

sweetpatata6
11-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Oreo is indoor/outdoor. He's allowed inside if someone's home :) I answered other. Nothing to worry about seeing he's been an out door cat for 9 years

Freedom
11-02-2007, 03:55 PM
4 are indoor only.

4 go out in the backyard, which is fenced in, only IF we are out watching them. This summmer, we've been so busy with all the dogs that the cats only got outside maybe 6 or 7 times.

We have coyotes in the neighborhood, along with all the other things columbine mentioned. Just in 2007, 15 cats and 4 dogs that I know of have gone missing, we think to the coyotoes. It's Nature. The coyotes were here first, so we have to live WITH them. Some people want them moved or even shot, but I disagree with that. They ARE gorgeous to see.

I also believe cats should be indoor only.

I get SO irritated when I look on craigslist and someone hasn't seen their outdoor cat for 3 or 4 days. What did they expect to happen? Geesh.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
11-02-2007, 03:58 PM
My boys are indoor only, but do have the option of going out on the balcony. They enjoy laying in the fresh air, sunbathing and watching the birds. So I put other, since my cats' only outdoor space is my balcony. :)

catmandu
11-02-2007, 03:59 PM
COMPLETELY INDOORS AS TOO MANY BAD THINGS HAVE HAPENED TO THE PORCH CATS FOR ME TO TAKE A CHANCE THAT THE LESS STREET SAVY LUCKY FOUND CATS WOULD DO ALL THAT WELL OUTSIDE.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/cats1011392.jpg
A NEW POUNCER ROCCALNO, SORRY ITS DARK BUT SHES SHY AND SKITTISH AS ALL GET OUT.

KitCat
11-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Cocoa is an indoor cat with outdoor excursions. He is the reason we made the screened porch, and he's allowed out there all year in FL if we are around (we keep the door slightly opened so he can get to his food, water, and litter). He also is allowed in the fenced backyard. He has old injuries so he doesn't jump very high, and I kept a close eye on him for a year to make sure he wouldn't escape. I still check on him every 2 or 3 hours now, just to make sure. He's only allowed in the yard when it's light because the toxic frogs come out at night. I occasionally let him in the front yard under strict supervision, and if we go out of the yard, he wears a leash.

critter crazy
11-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Both my cats are indoor only cats(well till the dogs let them out:rolleyes: ) Mocha used to go out with me for walks around the property, but our vet suggested she be a strictly indoor cat, because of her health issues.

kittycats_delight
11-02-2007, 04:21 PM
All 5 of mine are 100% indoor only. We have had an escape by Bella (remember she was feral for almost the first year of her life and is inside not quit 6 months yet), and one escape by Vixen (brother in law left the door open and she went for a stroll around the yard and couldn't get back in cause the guy upstairs closed the door. she waited on the step to scamper inside when i got home as fast as she could go )Vega is terrified of outdoors and phoenix couldn't care less. Little mr frost is becoming interested but we shall nip that in the bud. He is going to be neutered on monday. :eek:

Medusa
11-02-2007, 04:41 PM
My cats are all indoor, safer that way. Perfect world, they'd be indoor/outdoor. When I was growing up, our cats came in during the day and went out at night. They also died young. The average life span of an indoor cat is 17 years, an outdoor cat, 2 years. So, I keep my fur posse in and safe but I still wish I could let them out.

G535
11-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Indoors only.

Who cares if some neighbors think I'm crazy, at least my cat is safe.

jennielynn1970
11-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Cocoa is an indoor cat with outdoor excursions.... He's only allowed in the yard when it's light because the toxic frogs come out at night.

TOXIC FROGS?! Holy cow!!! :eek:

KittyGurl
11-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Only indoors. My cats use to be allowed outside, but not anymore because Snow gets fleas and Angel runs away.

Catlady711
11-02-2007, 07:41 PM
I voted 'Other'.

For the most part my cats are indoor cats, however most of them are leash trained and I do sometimes take them out for a walk (or in Pooky's case a bike ride or golf cart ride also). They also have a custom built cat enclosure in the back yard hubby and I built that I take the cats out to when it's nice outside. Which is why I had to vote 'Other' rather than 'Indoor'.

DJFyrewolf36
11-03-2007, 02:57 AM
My kitties are all indoor dwellers. Spook at our old house would hang out in the yard with us but never strayed away (except for a couple of times we had to go hunt for her :rolleyes: ). Up here in the city though, I don't trust Spook to be outside as there are WAY too many idiot drivers up here, plus her being a black cat doesn't help. Remus has never any desire to go outside. Even when someone left the door open he would just sniff at it and walk away. Hoodini being a former feral, Im afraid he would be inclined to run off and not come back so I have no disire to let him back out! When we move to Oregon, I don't think I'll be letting them outside unless they are either leashed (Remus and Hoodini show signs that they may put up with this lol) or we end up in a place where I can set up an enclosure as I know at least Spook likes being out when the weather is nice.

momcat
11-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Groucho is, and always has been, strictly indoor. He loves to sit in the open window to watch what's going on outside and talk to the birds and squirrels that go by. Living in the city poses too many risks between traffic, other animals and the chance of getting lost. All Groucho has ever known is love and he may think that all humans are that way. Unfortunately that's not the way things really are.

Felicia's Mom
11-03-2007, 05:33 PM
When I could have cats, they were indoor only.

CathyBogart
11-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Charlie is indoor only, and I'll only adopt him to an indoor home.

krazyaboutkatz
11-03-2007, 11:12 PM
All of mine are indoor only.:) The condo complex that I live in doesn't allow cats to wander around outside and they set out cat traps from time to time to trap feral or stray cats. I also live on the 2nd floor and I would be scared that Sky would follow someone home because he loves people.

sandragonfly
11-04-2007, 08:07 PM
all strictly indoors, period.

they'll take their turn going outside under my supervisor with harness and leash on and there's only four I'd trust without leash, depends on whereabouts.

mruffruff
11-05-2007, 01:33 PM
11 strictly indoor, 1 indoor/outdoor. They do have a big outside pen they can use whenever they want to. It is totally fenced and covered with wire fencing.

Mac is allowed to go in and out during the day with the dogs but has to stay in at night. He's inside more often than not. He can tell time (somehow) and always comes in around 10 PM. I doubt that he goes far from the yard during the day.

kb2yjx
11-05-2007, 05:07 PM
All 9 of the Clan are indoors!!! Too dangerous out there. We have lots of windows, sliding doors, bird feeders, and the cats are never bored!!!

Kalei
11-05-2007, 05:17 PM
My kitties are 100% indoor. I can never let them out I get too worried that something would happen someday. Plus they don't want out since the house is all they know:)

moosmom
11-05-2007, 09:37 PM
I have 5 cats. They are ALL indoors. I do take MooShoo out for a stroll in the park behind our apt. in his Moo-Mobile. It's good exercise for me and he loves the fresh air and attention.

Tora Oni
11-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Uh I put outdoor on accident, because Stormy is and indoor cat with outdoor privlage. He was an outdoor cat when we found him and we haven't had any problems with dogs and other cats which he will freely chase the cats off his territory. Having a dog thats allowed out and a Cat thats already use to being allowed out it wouldn't matter if I didn't want him out because I don't make the rules of the house, even if he is my cat.

Pawla
11-06-2007, 10:12 AM
I would NEVER let mine out! I suffered too many heartaches as a child because my grandfather wouldn't let them come inside, and they ended up dead. I always said that when I grew up they would be inside only. I get so upset when I see one on the road that has been hit. It especially bothers me if they have a collar on, because I know they belonged to someone. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't know where my baby was.

Zippy
11-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Zippy and Pumpkin are indoors only.Poor Pumpkin is terrified(sp?)of the outdoors and with good reason.She was found outside half starved.I will never have outdoor cats.To many risks when they can be safe and sound inside.

catnapper
11-07-2007, 06:11 AM
All 5 of mine are indoor only. Allen is the only one with the priviledge of stepping out the back door, and its only for supervised visits while I let da dawg out. Pouncer's been trying to door dash again and I don't want him out at all, because once he is, the boy runs. I worry when Cam starts to try to open the door himself to go out. I have fear that all 5 guys will be stepping out when the door is open without us being aware.

-Pickle-
11-07-2007, 11:07 AM
in england rural areas, where i live, its ultra common for cats to go outside. there is very, very little risk and we think its natural for them to go outside IF THEY WANT TO . if not, they dont have to. its their choice.

slleipnir
11-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Mine stay in, but they have a window they can use to go outside into a little closed off area...not in the winter though. It's too cold to leave the window open.

Logan
11-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Please don't attack me, but I'm going to be honest. I chose "other" on the poll.

Butter was a stray, an adult stray, when he showed up at my house, almost 7 years ago. Butter comes and goes at will. He sticks close to home and we now require him to stay indoors at night because there have been coyote incidents where at least 3 cats have been killed. He's done pretty well with his new restrictions, though, and doesn't beg to go outdoors until around 6 am or so. He has full use of his claws and teeth, and believe me, they are quite dangerous!! I have been his victim many, many times.

I guess we could have forced Butter to be an indoor only cat, but he would not have been happy, nor would I have been. We reached a mutual agreement, long ago, where he and I decided to take the risk and let him have his freedom when he wants it. And he hasn't abused it at all. We've moved once, and he adjusted beautifully.

Mimi, Butter's "sister", who left us last year at age 17, was also an indoor/outdoor kitty. One thing I learned is that it is hard to "un do" the going outdoors thing, once they have experienced it. Mimi became an indoor/outdoor kitty when I was pregnant and married to my ex husband. I think Mimi moved 7 times in her life, and she handled it beautifully. We were lucky.

I know that no cat rescue group would adopt to me since my cats have historically come and gone at will. I have been lucky. These two chose to stick close to home, lounge on the deck with the dogs, and not venture far at all. But I also know that every time Butter walks out the door, there is a risk. I hope it is minimal. We don't have stray dogs in our neighborhood. There are no other outdoor cats that I know of. And I know that our Butter enjoys his time outdoors, but he really does prefer to be indoors with us, especially in the winter time.

I applaud all of you who have succeeded in having indoor only cats. I don't know that I ever would have one to stay inside all the time since there are many days when our doors are open for the dogs to come and go. I guess that is one reason why we haven't added another cat to our home since Mimi's death. I know what needs to happen, but I don't know that I can provide the safe home environment that a cat would need to be indoor only, at this point.

By the way, I have a sassy boy, Butter, right beside me as I type. He is feisty, but he is precious. :)

Logan

orangemm
11-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Since we have had our boys, their feet have never touched outside dirt (or concrete, etc). They were abandoned as kittens, so they lead a very spoiled (and safe) life!

We took in a cat years ago who was used to being outside a lot; we had him neutered hoping it would "calm" him down, made sure he was healthy and had his shots. He kept trying to escape. It was awful trying to keep him in and I was so scared because our neighborhood had a lot of traffic.

Sure enough, one day he managed to escape and I couldn't find him until the next day. Someone had hit him in our alley and he was lying by the back hedge. I remember crying for hours; I wanted to give him a good life and he ended up getting killed. :(

My guys will NEVER go out.