PDA

View Full Version : Caution, Malamute at Play......

Glacier
11-01-2007, 03:53 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202007/heypaly2.jpg
Get out of the way! Heyoka has a tennis ball and no brakes!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202007/heyplay.jpg
He is not adverse to using a human as a stopping method! At 130 pounds, he can send you flying pretty easy!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202007/heyball2.jpg
He's so much happier when the weather is cold!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202007/heysilly.jpg
It is safer to laugh at him from a distance!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202007/heysilly2.jpg
Such a doofus!

ScottieMommy
11-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Love the photos, i feel real bad for the tennis ball tho :x

Karen
11-01-2007, 04:15 PM
That is one happy boy! ;)

kimlovescats
11-01-2007, 04:16 PM
I know very well about being plowed over by a big dog! I'm afraid I would have to watch from a secure vantage point!!! He sure is adorable and I sure wish I were stronger so I could just get right in the middle of all that fun!!!

Kim

Ginger's Mom
11-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Oh my goodness, that is way too cute. :D Now that is one happy boy.

Freedom
11-01-2007, 04:43 PM
And I complain that tennis balls only last half an hour with Lacey. :rolleyes: Looks at that ball, it is DESTROYED, he he. Lacey says they taste better that way.

Such a happy guy. And with a mal coat, I'd say yes, the cold weather feels best!

Cinder & Smoke
11-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Caution, Malamute at Play......

He is not adverse to using a human as a stopping method!
At 130 pounds, he can send you flying pretty easy!

He's so much happier when the weather is cold!

To look at that RUG he grew ... he's good for 100* BELOW! :cool:

The first 100 pounds has got to be FUR!

:D

cyber-sibes
11-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Hee hee, what a happy boy! Stand clear! ;)

Glacier
11-01-2007, 06:12 PM
To look at that RUG he grew ... he's good for 100* BELOW! :cool:

The first 100 pounds has got to be FUR!

:D

LOL! Look at the top of his head! He's still blowing out last winter's coat! He is pretty skinny under all that fluff!

Freedom--Heyoka's tennis balls last two bites! He plays with the destroyed ones for awhile though! Then I throw them away! Good thing tennis balls are cheap! Pingo is much more careful with her tennis balls. She gets quite upset when Heyoka steals them from her!

critter crazy
11-01-2007, 06:15 PM
What a handsome happy boy!!! Great pics!!! Thanks for sharing!!:D

finn's mom
11-01-2007, 06:32 PM
He really looks like he's a happy boy, such a handsome dog!

Lunalu
11-01-2007, 07:10 PM
You can tell he is enjoying the snow. He is beautiful!

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-01-2007, 09:14 PM
He's such a gorgeous boy. Looks like he was having lots of fun!

dukedogsmom
11-01-2007, 09:21 PM
I love them! And that last one is just great. What a happy boy. I really think he loves the snow. I'll bet you had fun watching him.

chocolatepuppy
11-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Heyoka is such a handsome boy! He sure seems happy. :)

anna_66
11-02-2007, 06:37 AM
These photos are awesome! He's such a big teddy bear. I'd love to just give him a big ol' hug:D

At 130 pounds, he can send you flying pretty easy!
I so understand this! Bon's ran into a few people...knock you right off your feet :eek:

cassiesmom
11-02-2007, 09:38 AM
These photos are awesome! He's such a big teddy bear. I'd love to just give him a big ol' hug:D

I would too! Heyoka, consider yourself hugged! Looking at these pictures of you happily having fun with your ball has given me a big smile today!

Lori Jordan
11-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Holy Snow!Look at it all!
Very nice photos,I was recently at the dog pound with a friend of mine picking up a GS,Long story short when we pulled into the driveway there was this Huge Malamute in the driveway,It looked as if he was doing a little dance,It was priceless he would not let us by until he was finished lol.

gini
11-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Happiness is................seeing pictures of your kids!

DJFyrewolf36
11-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Awesome! That is one happy Malamute :D

Husky_mom
11-02-2007, 01:42 PM
LOL...... gotta love that goofy boy!!.....sooo cute!!......

If my two can make me dribble sometimes i can only imagine what he can do.....hehe

the same question for 1000th time :rolleyes: .... what camera do you used for that pics....especally the close up it seems so crisp and clear and AWESOME!!!

Glacier
11-02-2007, 02:07 PM
the same question for 1000th time :rolleyes: .... what camera do you used for that pics....especally the close up it seems so crisp and clear and AWESOME!!!

Those were taken with my Nikon D80. I think I had the 55-200 VR lens on that day.

cassiesmom
11-02-2007, 04:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202007/heysilly2.jpg
But Heyoka, sweetheart ... what's that on the snow by your eyes? Did you scratch yourself or something?

And Glacier (and everybody), I have a question - what is different between husky and malamute? All the Glacier doggers are fluffy and precious to me. Heyoka, you can use me as stopping help (or a tackling dummy??!) any time you want. I love your big pawsie pads, too.

Husky_mom
11-02-2007, 04:29 PM
And Glacier (and everybody), I have a question - what is different between husky and malamute? All the Glacier doggers are fluffy and precious to me..

here´s a brief on that:
The Alaskan Malamute vs. Husky
http://www.amrescueohio.com/differences.gif

The Alaskan Malamute and the Siberian Husky are both Northern Breed dogs from the Working Group. Both breeds have similarities in coat colors and patterns. Both breeds were used for similar activities. The Alaskan Malamute being strong and powerful, was used to transport heavy loads for long distances. The Siberian Husky, being a more of a medium size, was used for pulling lighter loads a shorter distance at a moderate pace.

Both breeds are prey-driven and will go after small animals including cats, squirrels, birds, rabbits or any other creature that mistakenly gets into their territory. Both breeds do dig. They have been known to ruin many landscaping beds and to dig up small bushes and trees.

Both breeds are pack oriented and can be very destructive if left unattended for long periods of time without attention. Crate training is advisable.

Both breeds are born to run. Neither of these breeds should ever be left off leash to run in fields, woods, or neighborhoods. They will keep on running and will never come back. Many Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskies have been picked up by local dog wardens who have found them running stray. Some of them are never claimed and end up in rescue organizations or euthanized due to overcrowding in local shelters.

Some of the differentiating characteristics are as follows:
The Alaskan Malamute is a heavy boned, powerful dog. The males weigh between 85 and 100 lbs and the females between 75 and 90 lbs. The eyes of the Alaskan Malamute are always brown. Their head is broad with ears set wide apart. Their tail is similar to a plume carried up and over their back. The Alaskan Malamute is known for being gender aggressive toward dogs of the same sex. They can also be food aggressive. They are very loving and affectionate dogs and carry a laid back attitude. They make good companions but are not guard dogs even though their size can be intimidating. Everyone is a friend to a Malamute. Malamutes enjoy hiking, backpacking, swimming, jogging and cuddling up with their owners. Malamutes are very intelligent and can be very stubborn. Unlike the Siberian Husky, the Malamute is not prone to fence jumping. If they are bored, they can easily dig themselves out of kennels or under fences. Lifespan 10-12 years.

The Siberian Husky is a medium sized, smaller boned dog. The males weigh between 50-70 lbs. And the females between 35-50 lbs. The Siberian Husky can have brown eyes, blue eyes, one of each or a split eye (one eye with two colors).

Their head is smaller and not as broad as the malamute with ears set high on their head and close together. Their tails are considered a fox brush shape and are carried in a sickle shape when alert and trailing when the dog is relaxed. The Siberian Husky does well in a pack situation. They do not have the gender aggression that is a characteristic of the malamute. They are, however, very high energy dogs that are very vocal. They are an intelligent breed with a stubborn streak. They are not a guard dog and not a "one-man" dog. Siberians require a lot of exercise and enjoy swimming, jogging hiking, and agility amongst other activities. The Siberian Husky can be an escape artist and is prone to fence jumping when left unattended for long periods of time. They have also been known to climb a chain line fence to escape. They do best is a 5' or 6' fenced yard. Life span 12-15 years.

These dogs can make wonderful pets and companions, but it takes a serious, long-term commitment to live with them. As with any dog breed, they are not for everyone.

Glacier
11-02-2007, 05:00 PM
what's that on the snow by your eyes? Did you scratch yourself or something?

And Glacier (and everybody), I have a question - what is different between husky and malamute?

I don't think he hurt himself. I suspect the blood is from dinner or a bone. The dogs eat raw meat several times a week so there is often a bit of color on the snow!

In addition to what Husky_Mum said, I find the biggest difference besides their size is that the malamutes are somewhat harder dogs. Heyoka can be extraodinarily stubborn. Puts the most stubborn husky to shame with his determination. He does nothing simply because he was asked. It is all his idea and he'll do it in his own time. All my mals are much more food orientated than the huskies as well. Treats don't work well on the huskies, but Heyoka finds them highly motivating!

Most of the huskies could tag along just about anywhere and get along with whoever or whatever they run into. The malamutes are much more likely to have issues, especially with other dogs. Heyoka barely tolerates several of my other dogs and he desperately wants a peice of Deuce! The feeling is mutual and should they ever meet it will be ugly. Heyoka harbours no aggression towards people. He is gentle and sweet with even the smallest of children.

The size difference has caused some problems. Heyoka outweighs some of the dogs by 90 pounds! Twice in the last year, I've taken other dogs to the vet with Heyoka inflicted injuries. Both times, my vet has commented that the only similar injuries he had seen, the injured dog had been hit by a car! I don't think Heyoka actually meant to hurt either dog, but he is completely oblivious to his own strength, size and power.

KittyGurl
11-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Heyoka is so adorable. he looks like he is having a ball outside playing!

captain
12-12-2007, 10:44 PM
HOW did I miss this thread?????
What beautiful pics .... :D

finn's mom
12-12-2007, 11:17 PM
I just saw this thread, what a gorgeous dog. Thanks for sharing these, they are such happy photos!