PDA

View Full Version : How do you hand out candy on Halloween?

K9soul
10-31-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm curious, for those of you handing out candy to trick or treaters, how you hand it out? I prefer to pick out a few pieces and portion it out rather than offer the bowl, because if I offer the bowl and kids start taking handfuls of candy I'm afraid I'll run out too early. I know not all kids would do that but you never can tell which will. I suppose at the same time if you offer the bowl they can pick out something they like for sure. Most of the kids didn't seem to care when I picked out the candy to give them (I usually have 3 or 4 different kinds and try to give a couple different kinds at least), but a couple while I was picking up some pieces just reached out for the bowl to take what they wanted.

So I started wondering how most others tend to do it. It's been quite a few years since I have lived in a place that received trick or treaters.

Catty1
10-31-2007, 07:32 PM
I live in a second-floor apt condo, so I get to miss it! :)

Two people in Calgary have been innovative - city pools have donated a number of swim passes for people to give out instead of candy - and the mother of a diabetic girl has set up some sort of exchange - candy for dollar store items, movie passes, etc.

Kind of cool!

Pam
10-31-2007, 07:33 PM
I choose the pieces myself for the same reason that you do. :) Unfortunately they have stopped coming now and I am left with way too much candy so I should have just let them dig in. :rolleyes: Now I will have to hide it from myself or else take it into work for my co-workers to feast on. :p The worst part of Halloween is trying to get the dogs to relax. When there is a knock at the door my house sounds like a kennel. :rolleyes:

slleipnir
10-31-2007, 07:34 PM
I pick them out and give it to them. I went to my friends last year and helped her hand out candy, and she had a bowl on a table. Some (younger) kids would just keep putting candy in their bags til their parents told them not to lol! Most of the older kids either took one or 2 or ask how many they could take.

K9soul
10-31-2007, 07:37 PM
I choose the pieces myself for the same reason that you do. :) Unfortunately they have stopped coming now and I am left with way too much candy so I should have just let them dig in. :rolleyes: Now I will have to hide it from myself or else take it into work for my co-workers to feast on. :p

LOL I think if I get any more tonight I'll let them dig in because I have not even gone through half my candy yet. And I have no work to take it into since I work from home! Admittedly I bought quite a bit because I didn't know how much of a crowd to expect. But I picked out kinds most people tend to enjoy, i.e. M&Ms, Reeses, Starburst. I'm sure I can pawn off some on my stepfather when he and my mom make it home again though. In my experience it's rare for a man to refuse sweets when they are offered :D.

RobiLee
10-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi Jess,

I pick out the pieces and hand them out myself. I always sit on the porch steps so the little ones can get to me easily and I give them the candy. I have been doing the trick or treating thing for a long time and know that if you just let them pick thier own they will either grab a bunch or sort through it forever trying to decide what they want and hold up the line...lol.

Did you enjoy passing out candy tonite? How did the dogs do?

Katie and Tori are usually inside when I pass out the candy but this time my girlfriend took Tori with her so Katie got to come out and pass out candy with me. She was so good and a huge hit! Everyone loved her. I think there was only one family that seemed a bit intimidated by her but other than that everyone seemed to be dog lovers tonite...lol. Katie got so many nice comments and lots of love from the kids.

My girlfriend came back and was amazed at all the comments Tori got. She got double compliments because she was walking around with her 3 month old baby girl and Tori. So she had people ooohhh and awwwwing over the baby and the husky...lol.

Ok, sorry to hijack your thread! :)

K9soul
10-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey Robin! Not a hijack at all. I rushed like mad today trying to get all done with work by the time they started coming in LOL. I went ahead and gated my three in the back. Raven is social generally but I wasn't sure how she'd handle people in weird costumes :o . She can be intimidating to little kids if she's barking and growling and her hackles are up even though she's actually a big mush.

I just had a little boy come while I was posting this. Decided to just offer him the bowl but he picked out one tiny piece of candy LOL. So I told him "here you can have more than that" and gave him a few more. His mom reminded him to thank me. I enjoy the kids who are so well mannered.

Sounds like Tori was quite a hit! I used to sit out with the collies sometimes when I was younger. Nothing fazed them much. I think I'm going to have a lot of leftover candy :rolleyes:

RobiLee
10-31-2007, 07:50 PM
I will be taking my left overs to work like Pam...lol. I have one huge bag of what I call the "good stuff" that I never even had to open and I am so tempted to keep it here so I can pig out on it.

Don't eat those left overs all at once, Jess ;)...lol

caseysmom
10-31-2007, 07:56 PM
I haven't got any yet but I usually get hundreds...I am ready and I pick out two pieces to give so I don't run out.

ramanth
10-31-2007, 08:20 PM
If I ever have a house I plan to ask the neighbors if the area gets a lot of trick or treaters or not. If a lot, I'll ration the candy. If not, I'd let them pick or do a mix of both.

I was a shy trick or treater and even when the bowl was offered, I'd prefer to keep both hands on the bag and just take what was given. :D

My grandma prefers to hand out the candy while my mom just lets the kids pick. :)

Taz_Zoee
10-31-2007, 08:28 PM
I said other. Because I think I will let the little ones choose for themselves. But I will give the older kids theirs. The older kids might grab HUGE handfuls.
My neighbors twins that have been the only ones so far got double from us. Because they came before I got home and then came again so I could see them.
Well, Zoee just had to be put outside. Kids are afraid to walk up to the door with her barking her head off. :o So now she's outside barking her head off. LOL

Catty1
10-31-2007, 08:29 PM
http://www.uclick.com/feature/07/10/31/cbw071031.gif

K9soul
10-31-2007, 08:29 PM
From the couple people I talked to there are usually LOTS of trick or treaters in this area, but my neighbor across the street stopped by tonight with his granddaughter and said there did not seem to be as many kids out as usual. Seems to be the trend elsewhere from what people have said here too. The weather is really pretty mild tonight, I wonder why there are fewer than usual out.

Anyway, that is why I was so loaded up on candy :o. Anyone want to come over and have some candy? :D

caseysmom
10-31-2007, 08:32 PM
It really ticks me off when the parents want some...that happened quite a few times last year. Our little neighborhood gets hit real hard they drive in here, I don't really mind if they are coming to a safer neighborhood but it is a bit overwhelming, my daughter said at school they all say they are coming here to our area.

Karen
10-31-2007, 08:40 PM
I put all the candy in a big bowl, and let the kids choose - I tell each one they can take two pieces, as they went through all the effort to climb the flight of stairs necessary to get to my porch. Some kids still only take one piece, and only occasionally does someone try to take more than two - and if that happens, usually another kid with him or her will say "Insert name here," she said TWO!"

37 trick-or-treaters this year!

BitsyNaceyDog
10-31-2007, 08:48 PM
In the 7 years we've owned a house we've only had 1 trick-or-treater (that was probably 5 or 6 years ago). We only had a couple neighbors at our old house and they were all older. We really don't have any neighbors here. We always buy a very small bag incase we get someone, but we never do.

caseysmom
10-31-2007, 08:58 PM
I have only had 2 so far it is really wierd....

carole
10-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Well we dashed out early last night to buy a six dollar bag of sweets (candy), and no -one came, i think halloween is dying off in NZ, although it is relatively new, as i talked with others who said the same thing, i always buy wrapped sweets and hand them out myself.

caseysmom
10-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh my goodness I am getting slammed....I am almost done with the second huge bag.

Taz_Zoee
10-31-2007, 10:01 PM
We got about 15 kids. It's 8pm now, so I'm not expecting too many more. Last year the older kids were the ones to keep coming this late, so we shall see.

smokey the elder
11-01-2007, 07:12 AM
I usually give out a few pieces. We don't get a lot of trick or treaters in our neighborhood; last night we didn't get any! I think parties are more in vogue. I'll add to the big pile of candy in Tox!

pitc9
11-01-2007, 07:45 AM
I voted other because I don't get trick-or-treaters at my house! :D

catnapper
11-01-2007, 08:03 AM
I was a grinch this year. None of my neighbors were handing out, so we decided not to be the only ones on the street with our lights on. Besides, our front steps are in sorry shape and I'd hate to see a kid in a robe tripping or falling because of it. Its the first year we didn't give anything out :o

Freedom
11-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Well, we had over 80 children, and I had to shut the light off when I ran out of treats.

I had out, I do not let them take what they want.

I never give candy. this year, everyone got three treats: an airplane glider, a glow in the dark super ball, and a Halloween themed coloring book. The last 4 only got the balls, as the other 2 items were gone.

An HOUR after I shut the light, I had a group of children at the door! :rolleyes: It was after 9 PM.

I really enjoyed it, the little ones in costumes are SO sweet. As it was chilly this year, had to keep the inside door closed until the doorbell rang. I'd open the door and say, "BOO!" One mom jumped, and laughed, and her little 4 year old son admonished me, "Don't DO that!" :D

Star Wars costumes were prevalent among the under 10 year olds, which REALLY surprised me!

ramanth
11-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Star Wars costumes were prevalent among the under 10 year olds, which REALLY surprised me!
It's the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars. Lucas is milking it for all it's worth. ;) :D

AmberLee
11-01-2007, 09:44 AM
I think we had a total of about 50 kids here last evening, they came in clumps.

I usually hand out a small handful per child, then offer them a book. I sort them out by age and sound the kids out by their interests. (No body wanted the nifty science themed books this year. Sniff!) The horror (Goosebumps and the like) went the quickest, but the mysteries were popular, too. Occasionally a child would say X, the one I was handing him/her looked nice but they'd LOVE Y, whose title they could see from the stoop. On smaller groups of youngsters, I'd invite them to step up to the table and pick. I was a bit shocked when one of the trick or treaters proved to be ... I guess in his 40s and yes, he wanted candy and a book, too. Sheesh.

I have about 20-25 books left, a small stash towards next year. I do love collecting used kids books, usually starting in the spring. I love books and it's wonderful to hear a child say " I got a book!!!" as they leave. Mom overheard one group say what a wonderful house we were to come to for this holiday and I think she was a lot happier about the extra set up time it took. *wry smile*

So that's why I picked "other".

beeniesmom
11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Man I had over 175 kids (not kidding). I purchased about 10 bags of candy and was out in less than 2 hrs.
The first year, I'd let them pick and they'd take too much.
From then on out I pick 2 pieces and give it to them.
I still have the occasional one that puts his/her hand in it and grabs a handfull, but since it's few, I don't say anything.

Lilith Cherry
11-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Most of my students here in China have never heard of halloween so I got dressed up as a ghoul , fake blood everwhere, lol and took candy to school for everyone.. 363 students!!! Then in the evening about another 100 from other classes knocked on my door to share the bounty! I have never bought so much candy before ever but oh what fun it was!

My students are between 18 and 21 but are far more innocent and childlike than western students... it was great to see them all!

dab_20
11-01-2007, 11:27 AM
We hand them the bowl and let them take what they want. We only had one trick or treater last night, so they could've take the whole bowl! haha

gini
11-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Living in the heart of Los Angeles I was disgusted by Halloween for many years. We could see the buses and vans being driven up and tons of kids pile out of the vehicles and storm our neighborhood. They were rude and grabby and never said thank you.

And then one year it was as though they had been educated in class or at home and all of that changed. I noticed that parents were always in the wings watching their kids - the kids were polite and all of them said thank you.

I still do get the occasional woman with a newborn which always stuns me - but I give candy anyway. It may be the only candy she will have all year.

I give away small candy bars and usually pick two for each child. At the end of the evening it is a good time to come to my house because you will get four or five candy bars. It is deadly for me to have that in the house!:D

I stop at 9:30 pm - I think from 5 pm to 9:30 pm is long enough to answer the door.

angelbow20
11-01-2007, 12:09 PM
I didnt pass out the candy but my mom did and she said she went through over 90 dollars in candy!!! the first night she went through to HUGE bowls and the second night she made my dad run to the store for more because she felt bad when she ran out..

Taz_Zoee
11-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I didnt pass out the candy but my mom did and she said she went through over 90 dollars in candy!!! the first night she went through to HUGE bowls and the second night she made my dad run to the store for more because she felt bad when she ran out..
Wait, you have Halloween for two nights? :confused:

angelbow20
11-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Wait, you have Halloween for two nights? :confused:

yep... a long time ago when I was young we did and the last couple years they started that again, its kinda a pain but kinda nice also for the people who didnt get a chance to pass candy out or go trick or treating one of the nights.

Taz_Zoee
11-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Wow, I'd love to live where you live if I were still a child.
Shoot, I'm not a child, and I'd love to have two Halloween's. :D

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
11-01-2007, 02:07 PM
last year we had maybe 10, this year we had 38(yes I counted) lol
we still have leftovers. We give 1 piece of candy and one sample of my aunts chips(wonks for frito lay HR).

I had a few brats say "But I want that one!!" :rolleyes:

mina'smomma
11-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I make up little baggies of candies and dental floss (I know I'm a little lame) to hand out to the kiddies. (could be the reason they didn't come this year)

-Pickle-
11-01-2007, 04:50 PM
i dont give them the candy i eat it all :P lol not really. though i give them satsumas when i answer the door. i dont like the trick or treaters that are usually older end of teenage that show up without a costume. stupid. they get nothing >=]

cyber-sibes
11-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I pas them out a couple pieces each. This is our first year for an in-city neighborhod Halloween for a few years - it was really fun! we must have had 75 - 85 kids, I ran out of candy so dear hubby ran to the store for more - I think he got a real kick out of it too. Towards the end, I let Star & Jack stand at the door & I stood outside - people just loved seeing them!

Lots & lots of really little ones this year. One very little boy & his sister were so cute - she was Princess Leia & he was (I thought) O-be-wan, but he corrected me & said "No, no, I'm Luke Skywalker!" took his candy & started to run off -- then he turned around & shouted "May the Force be with you!" & sped off --LOL! :D

critter crazy
11-01-2007, 09:27 PM
We dont get trick-or-treaters here, one of the disadvantages of living in the boonies. But when I lived in an area years ago, where we got Trick-or-treaters, I always handed out the candy. I picked out a few things, and put it in their bags for them.:)

Edwina's Secretary
11-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I usually hand out a small handful per child, then offer them a book. I sort them out by age and sound the kids out by their interests. (No body wanted the nifty science themed books this year. Sniff!) The horror (Goosebumps and the like) went the quickest, but the mysteries were popular, too. Occasionally a child would say X, the one I was handing him/her looked nice but they'd LOVE Y, whose title they could see from the stoop. On smaller groups of youngsters, I'd invite them to step up to the table and pick. I was a bit shocked when one of the trick or treaters proved to be ... I guess in his 40s and yes, he wanted candy and a book, too. Sheesh.

I have about 20-25 books left, a small stash towards next year. I do love collecting used kids books, usually starting in the spring. I love books and it's wonderful to hear a child say " I got a book!!!" as they leave. Mom overheard one group say what a wonderful house we were to come to for this holiday and I think she was a lot happier about the extra set up time it took. *wry smile*

That has to be the most fantastic thing I have ever heard of anyone doing for Halloween (and to think I was patting myself on the back for "name" candy! :rolleyes: )

You are incredible Amberlee!

Twisterdog
11-01-2007, 10:32 PM
I give them all a giant handful. I buy lots of candy. It's once a year, it's fun.

CountryWolf07
11-02-2007, 01:02 AM
From the couple people I talked to there are usually LOTS of trick or treaters in this area, but my neighbor across the street stopped by tonight with his granddaughter and said there did not seem to be as many kids out as usual. Seems to be the trend elsewhere from what people have said here too. The weather is really pretty mild tonight, I wonder why there are fewer than usual out.

Anyway, that is why I was so loaded up on candy :o. Anyone want to come over and have some candy? :D

You can mail it to me in Columbus. =)

Lizzie
11-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I think we had a total of about 50 kids here last evening, they came in clumps.

So that's why I picked "other".

As E.S. has already said, this is a truly wonderful idea, and one I never thought of - even though I work in a library. I haven't handed out anything for years because I can't afford relatively healthy treats for the masses of children I would get (I live within half-a-mile of two elementary, a middle and a high school) and I couldn't think of anything else. With used book-stores very close to where I work and a book sale held every year by our Information School (new name for library school) that has lots of children's books sent by publishers, I should start my own collection very soon - as soon as I don't have the expense of 19 foster cats in my home. Hmmm! I wonder if I could train one of my black cats to sit by my side on the front porch, on a leash?

Jenn&Dean
11-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I picked "Offer the bowl". I live in a neighborhood where I have so many trick or treaters, I can't keep up with them all, so I just open my door to them, I set up a table with Apple Cider, cookies, a huge bowl of candy, and try to "Scary Spice" up my entryway. It's fun for me, and I'm sure fun for them as well. It's kind of a neighborhood tradition, open your house to the kiddos, let them come in.

But most people have their houses decorated much better than mine, not everyone can keep up with the Jones's... You know?

AmberLee
11-02-2007, 09:50 PM
I love that my love of books has inspired some of you, too! :D

I counted the books left against the tally I'd set up for books to be offered. We had 52 "kids".