PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to like other cats?

CultureJunky
10-31-2007, 05:36 PM
When Jack was ill the other night and I was sat with him whilst he was sneezing blood, I thought he was dying. At this time I was very upset and crying and I felt a terrible pang of guilt because I check cats protection and catchat sites and look at the cats that are available for rehoming. I have no immediate plans to get a new cat, but I like to look at the ones that need homes and always think 'I like that one I would take them'. I like to think I could give a home to that cat that nobody else wanted.

This made me feel terrible and that it was my fault that Jack was ill because I look at other cats, I know this sounds really silly, and I was just thinking I dont want other cats I want Jack and I want him to stay with me forever, please don't take him away from me, I love him and need him, I don't want other cats.
I really felt like this was my fault, that I shouldn't look at other homeless cats and like them.
Has anybody else had this feeling? Am I just being silly, I just felt so guilty at the time

Kate

moosmom
10-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Of COURSE it's okay to like other cats! I adore cats, all kinds. And it's in no way saying you don't love Jack. So stop feeling so bad about it. Glad Jack is okay.

catmandu
10-31-2007, 05:42 PM
I LOVE MY LUCKY FOUND PARADISE HOTEL CATS, YET I OFTEN LOOK IN THE ROOMS WHERE THE POOR HOMELESS CATS ARE AND THINK WHAT IF THEY WERE LUCKY FOUND CATS TOO.
WE ARE PRAYING AS HARD AS WE CAN FOR YOUR GOOD FRIEND JACK TO BE WELL AND A HEALTHY CAT ONCE MORE!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/cats1011385.jpg

Taz_Zoee
10-31-2007, 05:52 PM
This brought tears to my eyes, because I had the same issue last year when Taz was sick.
There was a resident cat at the vet and I said.....If, God forbid, Taz doesn't make it, I will take him home.
I felt horrible that I was already thinking of taking in another cat when my heart cat was still with me. I still think of getting another cat when Taz's time with me is up. Because I can't imagine not having a cat. In fact, I just had that thought this morning while I was snuggling with Taz. And he is perfectly healthy now too.
I hope we are not bad for thinking this way. :(

jenluckenbach
10-31-2007, 06:05 PM
If it were a bad thing to look at, and feel love for, cats other than our own, then I am GUILTY. But it is a wonderful thing to care for those who are homeless and in need. If all we can do is look at their picture or read their story, it is still our way of helping them. Our compassion might somehow help them get what they deserve. (for example) We might read a story and pass it casually along to an aquaintance who might know someone looking for a new friend. Or we might just sit crying at the enormous population of homeless animals, hoping for a solution. But I ramble.

Do not feel bad. You did not make Jack sick or prevent him from getting better just because you have the heart to care about other cats.

G535
11-01-2007, 02:23 AM
I also care about all cats, I can't pass a cat in the street without talking to it. The RSPCA site is visited regularly just to look at the latest cats.

It's perfectly normal behaviour for cat lovers. :)

CultureJunky
11-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Thanks you guys that's made me feel so much better. I knew this would be the ONLY place that I would be understood! ;)

Medusa
11-01-2007, 06:10 AM
It isn't bad to look at or want another cat any more than it's bad to look at or want another child. It means you have a big heart, not that you're a bad person. Don't allow superstition to prevent you from acting on giving another cat a much needed home just because you're feeling like you may cause misfortune to the cat/s you do have. You're being prompted by your spirit to reach out and this is only a good thing. Relax. :)

smokey the elder
11-01-2007, 07:03 AM
The heart has an infinite fill capacity for love. Please don't feel guilty about looking at other cats!

jazzcat
11-01-2007, 03:36 PM
I've done the same thing before. I certainly don't now because we are overflowing already.

Don't feel guilty.

catfamily
11-01-2007, 05:57 PM
You do so much.The reason is because you really LOVE cats.You know them so well.I love reading some of your threads because you seem to really understand them.
I'm sorry Jack is sick.You can help other cats...don't feel guilty.I don't think your looking because you LIKE the cat.I think your looking because you know you can help that particular cat that noone else would want.That makes you a very unique special person.

Catlady711
11-01-2007, 08:51 PM
The only time I'd think it was something to feel guilty over or feel bad about was if you were neglecting Jack, not getting him medical attention, not paying attention to him, not caring for him and looking at other cats at the same time.

Since that doesn't seem to be the case here then you have nothing to feel bad about. Looking at other cats did not make your Jack sick. Relax and enjoy your time with Jack, he will appreciate it, even if you're petting him on your lap while you are looking at pix of other kitties. I'm sure Jack would be purring away and not mind one bit. :)

Catty1
11-01-2007, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't worry unless Taz starts examining you for strange fur every time you come home. And tell him that you are also allowed to HUG other kitties! :)