PDA

View Full Version : Northern California PT Members- Did you feel that?!

ilovemypup
10-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Heya!

Well maybe not all NoCal PTers..but the ones in the bay area, there was an earthquake!
5.6 . Epicenter in Alum Rock.. ( where is that?) , I just felt it here in San francisco!

Eek! I saw things move! We haven't had one like this in a while!

Good luck everyone! Take care!!

-Ali

caseysmom
10-30-2007, 10:30 PM
I am in a sacramamento suberb...I didn't feel it...hmmmm hope nobody is hurt...

ilovemypup
10-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi!

Oh that's good!:)
I don't think anybody was hurt, but because it was big there will be bigger afterquakes:(

:(

-Ali

Taz_Zoee
10-30-2007, 10:49 PM
I felt it here in Concord. Alum Rock is the south bay, near Milpitas I guess.
They keep interrupting the TV shows about it.
I thought Zoee just bumped my chair, but then the stuff on the wall and the blinds were moving and Zoee wasn't even in the room! :eek:
It wasn't as bad as the one earlier in the year though. That one freaked me out!!

ilovemypup
10-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Woah! :eek: scary!
Take care!

Ah ok that's where it is:)
I heard about the one earlier.. I didn't feel anything!

Hope everything is together and not broken!

Take care!
-Ali

kitten645
10-30-2007, 11:07 PM
I FELT IT!! Knocked me on my badongadonk! I was bending over feeding Smudge and the ground went out from under my feet! I'm about 20 miles from the epicenter. Ish kabible! Hard to tell right after if it was me shaking or still the earth rolling! Hope everyone is okay!
Claudia

sandragonfly
10-30-2007, 11:22 PM
darn...I missed it. :p

I just got an email from my grandmother wishing me happy birthday and mentioned about this, things did fall but none damaged. :eek: never happened in my or her area.. scared her to death and she's okay now, just shaking a little. :( poor thing!

I hope it wasn't too bad and everyone remained okay.

AmberLee
10-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Hmmm, Alum Rock park is on the north east corner of San Jose, roughly south of Milpitas. Most of my family felt the quake although we are about 80 miles east north east of the epicenter. Ironically, I was moving furniture when it hit and was SO confused when everyone was comparing notes on the quake! I thought they were teasing me.

I've gotten an email from Don Juan's Mom checking on me. She says she's fine, but Zerlina's set land records for a kitty! So glad to know she and they are okay, hope she didn't have any property damage.

Has anyone heard from KAK or Cathy Bogart or Wolflady or any of the other PTers closer to the epicenter??? :eek: :confused: :eek:

Giselle
10-31-2007, 12:18 AM
We barely felt it here in the Oakland/Berkeley area, but I guess it was pretty bad since it kept interrupting the TV shows here, too.

Well, ya gotta love Nor Cal :)

Taz_Zoee
10-31-2007, 12:32 AM
It actually lasted pretty long. Not that I have much experience with earthquakes. But the news said it lasted about 20 seconds. And that's why I was confused as to what was happening. Usually, the few I've felt, were only a few seconds. This one seemed to go on and on.
I think the news also said no major damage has been reported. Some places had things fall of shelves, but nothing serious. Thanks goodness!!

krazyaboutkatz
10-31-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi, I'm fine and so are my 6 furkids.:) I live on the second floor in a condo complex and there's another floor above me. At first I thought the people above me were jumping up and down and just making a lot of noise. I was standing in my dining room at the time and I had just finished feeding my cats.

Then my cats went crazy and they all ran like a herd of elephants and they scattered and hid. I went to my front door and the whole door was shaking. This was very scary.:eek: Poor Starr was all by himself in my bedroom because he eats back there. He hid for quite a while and then he was still very scared.:( I had to spray him with his herbal Kitty Kalm to help calm him down.

My roommate ran out of her room and she was very scared and upset. She tried to use her cell phone but the lines were down. I also tried to use my landline but I couldn't get through either. The phones finally worked about 20-25 minutes later. Some of my paperback books and papers fell onto the floor in my bedroom but everything else was fine. I hope that there won't be any more big earthquakes any time soon.

Cinder & Smoke
10-31-2007, 01:44 AM
Hi, I'm fine and so are my 6 furkids.:)

... I hope that there won't be any more big earthquakes any time soon.

Uhhhhhh ...
What you just had WASN'T a "big one"!

From CNN.com >>>
"A moderate earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.6 struck Northern California Tuesday night, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The quake's epicenter was about nine miles northeast of San Jose's City Hall. There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties, but the quake sent residents scrambling for cover."

Better practice the "scramble for cover drill" ...

Lissen UP!
When the howze **SHAKES** - we ALL meet under the Dining Room Table!
GOT IT!?? --- NO Hidin under the BigBed!
You can each bring ONE kat-nipp Mousie with ya.

:D

AmberLee
10-31-2007, 03:18 AM
...GOT IT!?? --- NO Hidin under the BigBed!
You can each bring ONE kat-nipp Mousie with ya.

Great rules, Phred. Are you a transplanted Californian? :D :D

CathyBogart
10-31-2007, 09:30 AM
I was standing in a parking lot with a bunch of my motorcycle friends...and we all just looked around, checked to make sure out bikes were OK, and kept chatting as it went on and on! It was quite long. The streetlights were swaying for several minutes.

ilovemypup
10-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Glad to hear you guys are okay!! We wouldn't want any hurt PTers! Uh uh.

krazyaboutkatz , aww poor kitties!

Exactly, Taz_Zoee.. It lasted pretty long. I have been in other ones (In alaska and In southern California) and those always usually lasted for like 5 seconds..seemed like 1 minute tho!

-Ali

caseysmom
10-31-2007, 10:32 AM
"What you just had WASN'T a "big one"!

Guess if it scared her she has a right to feel that way.

lbaker
10-31-2007, 11:22 AM
RedHedd? Wolflady?? Anyone hear from either? Glad you're OK KAK ~

krazyaboutkatz
10-31-2007, 11:39 AM
I know it wasn't a very big earthquake but it was big enough for me. Now they say to be prepared in the future because we'll most likely have a larger earthquake coming.:eek:

ilovemypup
10-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Yup, I hear one is coming.. now that will be even more scary! :eek:

gini
10-31-2007, 11:50 AM
http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/step/

Here is a site that forecasts California earthquakes.

I am glad that everyone is alright. In the bigger picture a 5.6 isn't that big - but it is big enough!! And 20 seconds is FOREVER!!!!

Poor kitties!

RedHedd
10-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Oh yeah! That was a good l-o-n-g one and scared the heck out of me. Mitzi just looked up at me, scrambling to get into a doorway, and then went back to sleep - she's a true San Francisco kitty :rolleyes:

ilovemypup
10-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Yup, for me 5.6 is wayy big enough!

Glad to hear your okay RedHedd! Awww she is a SF Kitty Cat!
Cute!

My puppy was a bit startled, but nothing else,

-Ali

Taz_Zoee
10-31-2007, 12:22 PM
How big was the one we had back in Jan or Feb? THAT one freaked Zoee out, she jumped up and started barking. Or maybe it was just closer to me then. I don't know, but even the tinniest ones freak me out a little. I don't want the BIG one to come.......please. :(
I'm glad to hear everyone is okay. :)

ilovemypup
10-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Heya:)

I remember the one your talking about! I have no clue how big it was but that really scared us! My pup started barking and everything.....thankfully back then she was really little and I could just scoop her up and head to the doorway!

RedHedd
10-31-2007, 03:34 PM
The one earlier this years was scary, but it wasn't as long as the one last night. The one last night just kept rockin' and rollin' and the house keep creaking. I felt several aftershocks too - had a hard time getting to sleep.

kitten645
10-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Well in the big scheme of things it wasn't really a BIG one but it rattles you just the same. My first thought is always, I hope it's centered close to here cause if it was THAT strong and it's centered in SF, there's gonna be some hurt people. I lived thru Loma Prieta and THAT was a freaking big one! I came home to my two cats under the dining room table with everything including large book cases toppled around them. Now THAT"S a CA kitty..they know to get under the table! LOL..
My two at home are donning hardhats today just in case. :D