PDA

View Full Version : Tabby's infection is back

Donnaj4962
10-30-2007, 09:28 PM
I came home from work tonight to find my sweet 19 year old's widdle face starting to swell again. She had an infection about a month and a half ago, but the clavomax cleared it up and all had been fine.

I called the vet and they had me come get another round of clavomax for her. Poor little girl. She HATES taking medicine, but was a real trooper tonight with her first dose.

Anyone had any experiences with infections coming back like this? It seems quick to me, but I am hoping it was just not completely gone. :confused:

The vet indicated to me the last time that if the clavomax didn't work then she would recommend me having a dental done on Tabby. I don't like the thought of that at her age. Anyone have any insight? Suggestions?

I am so worried about my sweetie.

Catty1
10-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Well - all I can think of, if her teeth are up to it, is to switch to Hill's Dental dry food, and limit treats to Medical (from vet) and a few Greenies.

If there is tartar and plaque on her teeth, that might help a lot. I understand your concerns about a general anesthetic.

There are products like this one that are added to water; see if there is something similar in a good pet store near you, or check with your vet:

http://www.petacular.com/products/Plaque-Off-C.html

Maybe a month of intensive dental food, treats and treatment will prevent the expense and hassle of a full dental.

HUGS!

Medusa
10-31-2007, 07:03 AM
There's always a concern about general anesthesia no matter the age but I took Pigeon in not too long ago for a teeth cleaning and she's 18 now and came through it w/no problems and no extractions either, if that helps any. Prayers going out that all will be well for your Tabby.....

Donnaj4962
10-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the responses Catty1 and Medusa. Tabby was a little STINKER about taking her medicine this morning. (Reminder to self: wrap her in a towel and you won't come away with scratches!) :eek: :rolleyes:

Catty1, the vet doesn't think the problem is necessarily tarter. The problem is that when she tries to open Tabby's mouth, Tabby clamps down and REFUSES to open! So she can't see in. I, however, have had better luck and I don't see a tarter problem. She has never been fond of dry food, and treats must be moist and broken into pieces! So changing her food is not going to be an option.

Medusa, thanks for the information on your baby having a dental done. It just scares me! But if the infection doesn't get better and/or comes back, then I will probably go ahead and have it done.

Thanks for your well wishes and keep those prayers coming! Donna and Tabby

Catty1
10-31-2007, 11:37 AM
Donna, you could always try the dental stuff in the water...or mix a bit in with her wet food (add a bit of water as well).

See if a pet store will give you a sample of Greenies, or sometimes the company has free sample bags.

The Meditreats have a nice fishy smell for kitties - I'm sure your vet could give you several just to try.

Easy to understand why a general anesthetic is needed for a mere tooth-cleaning - to get those strong jaws to relax! :)

columbine
10-31-2007, 01:06 PM
You could try C.E.T. dental health chews - they come in chicken or fish flavor, and they're soft (and Smudge says they're quite tasty!)

Love, Columbine