PDA

View Full Version : Buddy's off to the white coats! *UPDATE*

pitc9
10-30-2007, 04:21 PM
His feet are fine, he's stopped licking/itching them. It's his ears now, they are bothering him so bad that he's been keeping me up at night.

If you don't know what I'm talking about with his feet... see this thread:
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=134972

They look a little dirty and he's good about letting me clean them, but now they are getting crusty and scabby and he's not being so good about letting me clean them anymore. :(

He's up all night long shaking his head and is just miserable! :(

I don't know if this problem with his ears have anything to do with the food.... ugh.

My poor little baby boy.

Ginger's Mom
10-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Aw Buddy, sweetheart, you have to stop worrying your mother so much. I hope you are feeling better soon and that this is the end of your itchies and boo-boos for a while.

lizbud
10-30-2007, 04:56 PM
It might be some kind of food allergy. I do hope the Vet can help Buddy
feel better real soon. Sore ears sure can make you feel miserable.

Taz_Zoee
10-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Aww poor Buddy. I hope you can get a quick fix so you won't drive yourself and mommy insane! :)

Freedom
10-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Buddy, hoping the white coats find a quick fix for the ears!

ramanth
10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Poor Buddy. Hope the trip to the vet helps!

chocolatepuppy
10-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Poor Buddy, I hope you are all better soon.

dukedogsmom
10-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Get well soon, Buddy!

4 Dog Mother
10-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Poor Buddy, I hope the vet can find something to make your ears feel better. Jack's ears bother him a lot too but I think it is because of the old infections he had before we got him and because hair grows way down into his. It is very hard to get it cut out. Will be thinking about you!

Catlady711
10-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Please let us know what the white coats say about the ears and feet. I hope they get the problem nailed down and provide quick relief for the itching.

I have one of two guesses, although I'm not a vet but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ROFL :p :p

Seriously though, yes ear problems could be related to the food as well as the feet. Skin and ear problems are frequently a symptom of allergies in dogs/cats.

My second guess would be a staph infection. We have occasionally seen where it starts in the ears and when the dog paws at it's ears the infection transfers to the feet, although actually it affects the whole body even where you don't see it. Usually though a staph infection is accompanied by a foul smelling odor which I didn't notice you posting anything about.

Keep us posted and I hope things go well at the vets.

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Poor Buddy. I hope he's feeling better soon!

joycenalex
10-30-2007, 10:34 PM
aw poor guy! prayers for buddys' ears and for angies' sleep

anna_66
10-31-2007, 05:21 AM
Gosh Angie, I'm really sorry to hear about Buddy. First the feet, now this:(
I hope he'll be feeling up to par asap!

Lots of hugs to ya boy (and of course your sister too!)

Ginger's Mom
10-31-2007, 06:13 AM
Just checking for an update. Hope Buddy is feeling better today. Lots of scritches for him and his pretty sister.

pitc9
10-31-2007, 07:09 AM
although I'm not a vet but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ROFL :p :p

Okay... I seriously bursted out laughing when I read this!! LOL!
That was great! :D

We go to the vet today at 3:30 (sorry... guess I left that part out yesterday huh, :o )

As far as the staph infection, his itching started with his feet, then went to his ears. You said you had a case where it went from the ears to the feet. Could it go the other way too?

The thing that baffles me is that I stopped feeding him the food back on the 16th. And I started giving him Benydral on the 18th. He's not itching his feet at ALL anymore (just waiting for the fur to grow back) and NOW, a week and a half after his feet stopped itching and 2 weeks after I stopped feeding him the food, his ear starts bothering him. :confused:
We shall see what the white coats say today at 3:30.
He looks so silly, he's holding his ear funny and looks like a goof ball. It's bright red and warm to the touch. I swipped his ear with a a q-tip yesterday and it is starting to smell. I've smelled worse... but it smells more than it did a day or so ago.

Last night I told him we were going to the Dr. today for medicine to make his ear feel better and I think he heard me because he only woke me up once last night!! :eek:

I'll let you all know what the Dr. says today after our 3:30 appointment.
Thank you all!

pitc9
11-01-2007, 09:21 AM
It's a yeast infection from food allergies. :(

*kicks self again for trying to switch food* :mad:

$126 later he got a shot and we were send home with ear wash, pills and ointment.

He was a very good boy! When the tech started cleaning his ears she told him that he had potatoes growing! :D

He only woke me up once last night, so I'm sure he's feeling better!

cyber-sibes
11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
oh good, at least you know what your dealing with.
Hope the Budman starts feeling better soon. They look so sad when they're shaking their big ol' heads around!

chocolatepuppy
11-02-2007, 04:52 AM
Poor Buddy. At least now he can get all better. :)

she told him that he had potatoes growing
ha ha, that's what I tell my dogs all the time when I clean their ears! :D

Ginger's Mom
11-02-2007, 05:48 AM
Hope Buddy is feeling better today. Never kick yourself for trying to make things better for the kids. ;) We have all learned such lessons.