PDA

View Full Version : Jack gave me a huge scare!!!!!

CultureJunky
10-29-2007, 06:09 AM
The past week Jack has been a bit snuffly and I thought he had a bit of cold. Well Saturday around 4.30am we woke up to hear him sneezing terribly.
He had a lot of smelly mucus coming out his nose, a browny colour, and just wouldn't stop sneezing, so I was frantically trying to call a vet, but they were all no answer or not there until the morning, in the end I had to settle for his usual vets at 11.00am in the morning when the emergency vet came in. He then started to sneeze blood!
So we took him in and the vet said he had a nasal infection and gave him an anti-biotic injection and a steriod injection. He has a course of both for a week, 3 tablets a day.

Well anyways when we got home, he started sneezing more blood and I noticed something green coloured hanging out of his nose, so I wiped it with a tissue and what should come out but a 4 inch blade of grass from his nose!

I couldn't believe it, he hasn't sneezed since and is back to his old self today. I have several ideas how he got it in there, the main one from just eating either grass on it's own or grass on something he's brought home like chicken bones and it must've got stuck in his mouth, he must've snorted and I assume it worked it's way up into his sysnuses, it's obviously been working it's way down his nose all week!

I can't believe what he's done, and I was so upset particularly when he started to sneeze blood as I thought he may have had a burst tumour or something, he's so naughty!!!

He has had his tablets today wrapped up in a slice of chicken and they went down no problem.

I am so glad he's okay! I thought I would share my little weekend adventure with you...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Razorbladebeat/JackInTheGreenSink.jpg

Scooter's Mom
10-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Oh goodness - poor meowmie! That must be scary. Naughty Jack for scaring you so. I hope that blade of grass is all that was wrong and he is fast on the road to recovery!

Love the photo you've attached!

Killearn Kitties
10-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Jack! You naughty boy! Please do not be snorting any more grass!

Your poor mummy. :(

cassiesmom
10-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Awwww, Jack, sweety. Take good care. I think your meowmy is right on when she says you swallowed the grass and somehow it got back into your nasal passages. I hope that was the cause of the problem and you're all right now. The photo of you in the basin is just precious. Please ask your meowmy to give you a pet for me, one for Sunny too. You are so handsome.

Cassie Kitty loves to eat cat grass and I've noticed that she sometimes vomits it back up "full length". I'm trying to be more careful with her eating grass right from the pot.

Taz_Zoee
10-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Oh my goodness Jack, please don't do that to mommy again. I had a cat years ago that sneezed blood. My brother found him later by his house...dead.:( But I think he got hit by a car and did not have external, visable injuries. This would be why my Taz is indoor only.
I am so glad Jack seems to be better now. He looks so handsome in the neatest looking sink I've seen!! :D

catmandu
10-29-2007, 09:41 AM
THEY DO GIVE US THE ODD SCARE DONT THEY!!
JJJ3 ALMOST GOT OUT SATURDAY WHEN OUR GOOD FRIEND DALE FROM THE ANIMAL WELFARE COME OVER WITH TEN BAGS OF LITTER AND TREATS FOR US.
BOTH DOORS WERE OPEN FOR A SECOND AND IF DALE WASNT QUICK, HE WOULD HAVE ESCAPED.
WE ARE SO GLAD THAT JACKS BETTER NOW, AND WE KNOW THE SCARY FEELING YOU GET WHEN OUR PETS ARE NOT WELL, YOU WONDER HOW BAD IT WILL BE!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

CultureJunky
10-29-2007, 10:54 AM
I shall tell Jack that all on PT said he was a naughty boy but sweet, though he probably knows that already, he hears it often enough from me! Lol :D

CultureJunky
10-29-2007, 10:55 AM
I shall tell Jack that all on PT said he was a naughty boy but sweet, though he probably knows that already, he hears it often enough from me! Lol :D

Edwina's Secretary
10-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Oh my gosh! I thought Edwina was the only one! Last winter she developed a sneeze and a watery eye. I watched it closely but she seemed to get better.

Then I started finding speckles of blood where she would sleep. Bloody mucus. But otherwise she seemed find. But her sneeze was an odd one. I am imitating it but you probably can't hear me.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Much more through her nose than normal. And this went on occasionally for some time.

One day she came to me and started her wierd sneezing and .....a blade of grass came out!

I was VERY relieved and told her that is what she gets for sticking her nose where it doesn't belong!

Silly kitties! Glad Jack is grassless again.

Freedom
10-29-2007, 11:25 AM
oh Jack, you did give your mom a scare! I know I would be quite worried and upset if that happened here, as well. I am glad you cleared that out!

jenluckenbach
10-29-2007, 01:30 PM
What a silly, nawtee kitty!! Glad he is OK! :)

kimlovescats
10-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Oh my goodness!!! So glad you actually found the blade of grass, so you will know in the future!!! Get well soon, Jack!

Kim

Catlady711
10-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Wow that would scare me to death too! I'm glad the vet gave you some antibiotics to keep out any infection the grass may have caused and I'm very glad to hear you got the offending grass blade out and the sneezing stopped!! :)

sandragonfly
10-29-2007, 07:37 PM
oh my goodness, yikes! so relieved you have saw the green part - I never knew that! ..poor jack boy and you! I'm happy both of you are okay now. :)

((hugs to both)).

krazyaboutkatz
10-30-2007, 12:42 AM
Poor Jack.:( I'm glad that the piece of grass came out and that he's now on meds to help with his infection. I hope he feels better soon and heals up quickly.:)

My old vet had mentioned this to me when one of my cats was sneezing a lot. I guess the grass up the nose is fairly common in cats. When I buy wheat grass I make sure to cut it into smaller pieces so that this won't happen.

jazzcat
10-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Oh my, I haven't heard of that happening before. How scary, but I'm glad it's out now and you know what it was. Hope Jack feels better now.