PDA

View Full Version : Some of you know..............

DrKym
10-27-2007, 09:53 PM
that Ranger (moluccan cockatoo) and an insane bird...came to visit and to stay as a foster.

he had a very bad beak issue due to an idiot and toenail clippers......... however he has now delivered his 3rd disfiguring bite.

Now as a resue we are putting out the option of euthanasia,however 1 person on the board has a foster home that would be willing ot take on the risks.I an against this as I have seen in a 24/7 for 6 months his aggression
toward people and also that we know by history he is a killer of other birds. He has been with us 9 months and was for the first 90 dyas on honeymoon time, he gave the vet tech 24 stitches in the face for a routine trim

Our vet has given us 2 legal options............keep him and take him down from the adoption pool or PTS. We have a board meeting scheduled, but I would love some insight from PT people before I make uop my mind as to his future.

Love

Doc

Catty1
10-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Kym, how old is he? And are there trannies for birds?

And - I wonder if Nancy Efrusy reads birds??? jenluckenbach was a huge skeptic, but was amazed at how spot-on she was with her cats.

efrusy at-symbol yahoo.com

Just a thought.

Good luck with him...it's really maddening when an animal's problems are due to a stupid owner!

DrKym
10-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Candace my sweet.............

Have taken him to psychics (I am one) and used everything safe on him......... but toos are VERY VERY social and he had 11 homes in 7 yrs his spirit and his mind are broken!

To be homest I used Nancy .............she said he has nothing in him left to love with :( (wish I had a teary eyed one) he is probably the most misused baby in 25 yrs of rescue

I need to think, and to put him first,,,,,the board meeting on him is teusday at 3..........

Suki Wingy
10-28-2007, 12:14 AM
I think in this situation putting him down would be best for him, because I see no reason for him to live in a situation where he constantly will not be getting the attention he needs because of his agression.
Whatever you choose, I'm sure it'll all work out in the end in some way or another.

DrKym
10-28-2007, 12:22 AM
I am placing it before the board.....................

he is truly insane, and I wonder if anything can bring him around, toos are very social they live inlarge flocks, he cannot even handle his own specie
let alone humans.

My partner in the rescue wants to to try him in a foster home with a behavorvist. I am willing to try this if it means mor time for him. according to his foster mom he is 9......acording to vet records we have derived from his chip he is 19-23 which still means he is a young bird :(

Prayers will be appreciated......on behalf of Ranger we thank you all. While I mull over this.

Alysser
10-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Oh, poor guy. :( What a sad situation. I think it's best for him to be PTS well. I don't want to compare apples to oranges but this reminds me of when they have live fighting dogs and they have to put to sleep because all these dogs know is to attack other dogs and they can't live in society wanting to attack everything that moves(other then humans..they usually adore humans). I don't know if being scared and aggressive toward everything is much of a life to this poor baby. I am sorry you have to deal with this. (((hugs))) for you! :(

moosmom
10-28-2007, 09:04 AM
It breaks my heart to read stories about animals so abused and neglected that they become "broken".

I do hope that a satisfactory solution can be found. Afterall, it's not Ranger's fault that he is the way he is. It's thanks to idiotic owners that should rot in hell.

Hellow
10-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Under these curmstances i believe that it would be more humane to have him PTS. It would be better because otherwise he would be living an life closed off from the world around him, including his owner.

Argranade
10-28-2007, 09:52 AM
I would not put him to sleep,

Why not just keep him in a huge cage with many toys, treats ect.. and just let him live his life with out human touch, maybe he just enjoys looking at people talk to him instead of trying to touch him or work with him. I'm sure if he was given a home with out any other birds and he was just talked too every single day gently and given treats he would at least not mind that. Well I'm not sure how bad his background is but it can be pretty hard to find a loud, biting, not human touch loving cockatoo a home but it's worth a try.

Maybe if given a year of a soft human voice and treats he'll cawm down. :(

If he would at least step up the blanket game sure could come in handy.

Too bad he does not like other cockatoos, or he could have lived with a female.

Hellow
10-28-2007, 10:08 AM
I would not put him to sleep,

Why not just keep him in a huge cage with many toys, treats ect.. and just let him live his life with out human touch, maybe he just enjoys looking at people talk to him instead of trying to touch him or work with him. I'm sure if he was given a home with out any other birds and he was just talked too every single day gently and given treats he would at least not mind that.

Well, i have read that Cockatoos enjoy human touch, and without it they are very unhappy.

DrKym
10-28-2007, 10:29 AM
He is in a huge cage with toys and treats etc. He has broken blood feathers beating the cage bars when being fed.(outside acces cups)

Toos enjoy human contact in place of other birds, as for living with a female first off he would never be allowed that in rescue they would breed. Why would I add to the problem? and even my male is ok with the other toos he will preen them and "sing" and talk to them. Ranger cannot even enjoy that through a screen he tries to kill them.

Catty1
10-28-2007, 10:48 AM
And as you said, Kym - he does need claws trimmed from time to time - and has seriously injured the person trying to do so.

Unless there is a tranny to add to his food or water - only to make him feel better and calmer - he is going to stay this way. Sad - unless someone has another idea.

Poor guy - like I said, this is a human's fault, not his! :mad:

DrKym
10-28-2007, 10:57 AM
After being able to hear your AMAZING voice I will never read your posts the same way again!

no there are very few safe trannys for birds. Those used are usually done for shipping and/or surgery.

I will be talking to Phyllis again on Monday about this behavoirist she knows, however this woman also has other birds. She is suppossed to be amazing and is the saint of lost cause birds, I am willing to give this a try, but I truly don't see a different ending for poor Ranger. I will be posting pics of him soon.

Queen of Poop
10-28-2007, 07:12 PM
I would be interested to see what the behaviorist thinks, if there is any hope to change his life. That would be my first choice. If she sees no hope for him then PTS would likely be the only choice. It's not his fault he's aggressive. Several rotten humans did that to him. At least he'd have peace at the bridge. Damn those people who did this.

Argranade
10-28-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't know if this will help or not,

http://www.parrothouse.com/sf4.html

as for living with a female first off he would never be allowed that in rescue they would breed. Why would I add to the problem?
I've read too's should be paired if they don't like too much human contact but bird owners should test out there too's first to see how they react to another bird. There are ways to not let them have babies but I did not know your too was this agressive so it's out of the question. I'd try out a behaviorist like said for at least a few months and see how it goes, anyway hope everything turns out right for the bird.

Catty1
10-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Ranger has killed two other large birds, one of them his mate.

DrKym
10-28-2007, 11:50 PM
and we will not allow him the chance to harm another.