PDA

View Full Version : these dogs need help!!!!! ASAP!!!! UPDATE 11/9!!!!!!

lute
10-26-2007, 11:15 AM
News story here (http://www.weht.com/dsp_story.cfm?storyid=3679&RequestTimeout=500)

This story broke out yesterday. This is where I live! I called the Washington Animal Control this morning to offer my assistance and I was told that The animal control facility couldn't help any longer. They don't have the equiptment and help they need to get the dogs. They also have no place to keep the dogs. There are anywhere from 10-15 dogs left and according to the man that runs the animal control they will stay there until Petersburg decides to do something about them. I know they have lil care to do anything at all. They will act like they are interested until the story isn't hot anymore then will go right back to the way they were.

Who can I call to get these poor dogs out of there and get the county into shape? Possibly get the county into some trouble for not having animal control? If anyone has any advice please let me know ASAP!

lizbud
10-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Is the petition is ongoing? I don't understand. The article said some of
the dogs were picked up by Animal Control and some were left there. :confused: Which AC picked them up? Why were some left there?

All I could suggest is to keep calling government officials & maybe even
contact the Indianapolis Star newspaper or Indy TV news groups to get
more press onto the animals problems there.

Freedom
10-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Do you have any rescue groups in the area, or even in the state? Like an SPCA? They should be able to step in and help.

What about asking for help from ASPCA, or HSUS?

Geesh! Make sure the dogs get food and water, THEN worry about finances. :(

lute
10-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Is the petition is ongoing? I don't understand. The article said some of
the dogs were picked up by Animal Control and some were left there. :confused: Which AC picked them up? Why were some left there?

All I could suggest is to keep calling government officials & maybe even
contact the Indianapolis Star newspaper or Indy TV news groups to get
more press onto the animals problems there.

The pitition is ongoing as far as I know. 4 dogs were picked up. They were the only 4 AC could catch. The Washington Animal Care and Control is the AC that took the dogs. They can't take anymore of them though. They don't have the room for them, enough people to go catch the dogs and care for their own dogs. They just don't have the equipment to do this either.

I'll be calling news stations and news papers tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work. Also be calling Indiana officails on Monday. I won't be able to get a hold of them Sat or Sun.

Do you have any rescue groups in the area, or even in the state? Like an SPCA? They should be able to step in and help.

What about asking for help from ASPCA, or HSUS?

Geesh! Make sure the dogs get food and water, THEN worry about finances.

I think neighbors are feeding the dogs as best they can now. I'll ask my police friend tomorrow for sure. They still need food and care.

We do have rescue groups around the state, but I don't know who all could really help. I'll probably contact some tomorrow. I looked up the ASPCA and HSUS websites and couldn't find any contact info for anyone that could help in a problem like this.

I also called Tracy from ReachOut Rescue in IL. As a fellow PTer and friend of mine I asked her who I should call. She also told me to call Indiana officails.

If you ask me the county should not get away with just getting someone to get the dogs and they not have to worry about it. I think they should get in trouble for not having an animal control facility here.

I'll keep everyone updated!

lizbud
10-27-2007, 09:54 AM
I think neighbors are feeding the dogs as best they can now. I'll ask my police friend tomorrow for sure. They still need food and care.

I'll keep everyone updated!

Thank you for all your efforts so far. I do know that most all animal control
groups operate at capacity or near it anyway, but through their contacts,
maybe they would have more info on other groups who could help. How about
AC in Vincennes or Evansville? They are close to that area.

I do agree that Petersburg should have more animal resources. You can't
be the only dog person in town. I still think that officials seems to move
a lot quicker to solve problems once the bright light of TV or newspapers
shine on them & their lack of response to animals in need.

lute
10-28-2007, 07:52 PM
A lil update! Some great things have been happening! I'm teaming up with a lady that has law smarts and is a dog lover! We put together a petition to get an animal control shelter here. We want at least 1500 signatures. We have just over 650 now! We have a meeting with the chamber of commerce soon and she will be taking some action in other ways as well. This morning I went out when I walked Brick and took pictures of a ton of stray and unconfined dogs. Dogs that were unreasonably thin, had no shelter, food or water, a chained dog who's chain went as far as the middle of the road, etc.

I don't go to work until 2 tomorrow so in the morning I'll be walking the town and getting signatures for the petition.

A real plus to getting an animal control shelter here is we already have two people aching to be animal control officers....Me and my partner in crime! I could use a second job! :D

Anyway, we are definatly making headway and the fun thing is the county HAS to provide us a building and such because according to Indiana state law every county MUST have an animal control facility or humane society.

The lady I am working with also made a Myspace page for support. Add yourself if you'd like. Myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/saveourpcanimals)

I'll keep you all updated!

lute
11-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Well, We almost have all the signatures we need! We also have heard the state has the money for the building we just have to kick the county's butt into gear to start building. We start our first round of meetings soon! I'll let you know how it goes!

loveallfurryfriends
11-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Wishing you and your friend great success! Keep up the good work.

pitc9
11-09-2007, 02:31 PM
WAY TO GO!!!
:D

Wishing you the best of luck for getting the rest of the signatures you need!

crow_noir
11-10-2007, 02:27 AM
Congrats and good luck!