PDA

View Full Version : I recieved this in email

DrKym
10-25-2007, 02:00 PM
and couldn't believe it so I tried my own phone numbers, it is true :eek:

Please be aware it is a serious concern to all of us parents!Aunt Uncles Grandparents etc. What if a sitter gives out the number? :eek:

Google has implemented a new feature which enables you to type a telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and you will be given the person's name and address. If you then hit Map you will get a map to the person's house.. Everyone should be aware of this! It's a nationwide reverse telephone book.

If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming!!!

Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried my number and it came up along with the mapquest and directions straight to our house. I did fill out the removal form for myself, and encourage all of you to do the same. Quite scary!

Please look up your own number!!!!!!!

In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: Go ogle ( http://www.google.com/ ) Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on your telephone number and then click on the Removal Form. Removal takes 48-hours.

Check your own number and (although this may not apply to you if you have an unlisted number or cell phone as primary contact).

You may know someone else who needs to know this.

It takes Sex Offenders right to your front door!!

Please share this information with friends and family

Taz_Zoee
10-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Interesting. I put in my number and nothing. I put in Bruce's (we have separate lines) and all of the websites he's ever had come up. Nothing with a map direction on it though. But it's still kinda scary.
Thanks for the heads up Kym.

Craftlady
10-25-2007, 03:50 PM
No maps/directions for our phone number. However, it does come up with our name and address and the article for hubby's recently published poetry book (press release we did for the book).

Karen
10-25-2007, 04:13 PM
That has been true for a long time - Google is a compendium of public inforation. Think about it ... if your name and address are in the phone book, it's not hard, even without the Internet, for someone to find you. Most children's names, however, are not, so parents need to be careful about what information kids give out on and offline.

gemini9961
10-25-2007, 04:17 PM
My phone number did come up, requested it to be removed. Thanks for the heads up.

DrKym
10-25-2007, 04:19 PM
That has been true for a long time - Google is a compendium of public inforation. Think about it ... if your name and address are in the phone book, it's not hard, even without the Internet, for someone to find you. Most children's names, however, are not, so parents need to be careful about what information kids give out on and offline.

Mine is non published and it still came up! :eek:

Karen
10-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Has it always been nonpublished? I don't know from which years they started the database or how frequently it is updated...

jennielynn1970
10-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I remember doing this a while ago. The only thing that comes up for my phone number is for my shelter cats adoption pages on PetFinder.

Ginger's Mom
10-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Here is another one for you. http://www.zabasearch.com/ . I sent an e-mail about a year ago asking to be taken off and I am still on there. Although it doesn't connect to a map, it is easy enough to goggle map the address it gives.

DrKym
10-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Has it always been nonpublished? I don't know from which years they started the database or how frequently it is updated...

yes, its listed through 411 but is NOT published in the book.

Edwina's Secretary
10-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Very true. You can also put a number in reverse directory and...if it is published.... you will get a name, address and map. You can also call a phone number for reverse directory....Heck...you can put a last name and state in White Pages and get an address, phone number and map.

IRescue452
10-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Reverse phone number searches have been around for a long time. In fact, for a subscription cost, you can do cell phone numbers, background checks, all sorts of stuff. You can get a reverse phone number from services available on the phone rather than the internet as well. This has been available before the internet. The internet might be faster, but it in no way makes you less safe.

Other than that...

1) most criminals of the predatory sort know their victim
2) if I wanted a map to a stranger's house, I'd look in the phone book
3) if I were just picking out a house with a kid or a young girl, I'd pick a block and sit and watch after school

Dorothy39
10-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I've known for some time about this special feature that Google now provides ,(images and the like) but I've never typed in my phone number to see what pops up~ Hum~ ....... I'll have to go there and check this out.

DrKym
10-25-2007, 06:44 PM
I was aware you can do reverse look ups on yellowpages.com or whitepages.com I did not know that maps were provided, as is prudent I have removed my info from all that I could and will be calling Charter in the AM to remove ANY info that isnt allowed by calling 411.............

chocolatepuppy
10-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Here's what I got...
Your search - ***-***-**** - did not match any documents.
I've had an unlisted phone number for years.

sirrahved
10-25-2007, 08:36 PM
It doesn't really make me worry. Lots of phone books have had reverse directories for a long time. You can be wise without living in fear.

Catty1
10-25-2007, 09:00 PM
I know a person can refuse to have their number printed in a phone book...but if it is still available through 411, it's open season, unfortunately!

Cool! My phone number went to an older webpage where my bassist and I have a little writeup...a promo!

The email address is LONG gone, however. :-)

If I do a search for Canada only - nothing.

I do have my info on a do-not-call registry, so maybe that is why.

Hellow
10-25-2007, 09:18 PM
I did an search for mine and it gave my moms name but the map couldnt find our address, i dont know why?

ilovemypup
10-25-2007, 09:33 PM
omg! I found our number.. and it said my moms name AND our address! Creeepy!

Thanks so much!

-Ali

dukedogsmom
10-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Here is another one for you.zabasearch dot com/ . I sent an e-mail about a year ago asking to be taken off and I am still on there. Although it doesn't connect to a map, it is easy enough to goggle map the address it gives.
This is bad. It even gives the month and year you were born. Not cool.

sparks19
10-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Nothing shows up for mine either.... perhaps it's because I am with Vonage.

pitc9
10-26-2007, 08:31 AM
WOW, Val you're right!!
That's seriously not right that they list your date of birth!!! WOW!

Hellow
10-26-2007, 03:37 PM
WOW, Val you're right!!
That's seriously not right that they list your date of birth!!! WOW!

Well, as long as the person listed can remove them from the listing, i guess it is legal.

Hellow
10-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Nothing shows up for mine either.... perhaps it's because I am with Vonage.

LOL love the music on the Vontage commercial!

dukedogsmom
10-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Here is another one for you. zabasearch dot com/ ]http://www.zabasearch.com/ . I sent an e-mail about a year ago asking to be taken off and I am still on there. Although it doesn't connect to a map, it is easy enough to goggle map the address it gives.

Well, as long as the person listed can remove them from the listing, i guess it is legal.
Apparently, you can't.

G535
10-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I just checked out a few US people on Zabasearch and it shows their current and past addresses, phone number, approximate home value and heaps of other stuff that I can't remember! Also if you pay them $$ you can find out a lot more stuff that should not be available to just anyone. They can even tell you the relatives and neighbors of some people. I must have a look and see if something like that is available here. :(

Ginger's Mom
10-27-2007, 08:41 AM
There are many internet sites where you can pay to find out personal information on people. Some have been shut down, some are not doing anything "illegal", and more keep popping up every year. It is tough to keep up. Unfortunately, a lot of it is public information that people are not aware is out there, but some clever site operator will put together in one place. If you have never visited your County or State website, take a look around, you may be surprised at what you find.