PDA

View Full Version : Off to Tradex tomorrow

wolfsoul
10-25-2007, 01:30 AM
Well, Visa and I are heading to Abbotsford in the morning. We show from Friday to Sunday.

Tradex is the biggest show in Canada. And very scary. :eek: Visa LOVES shows now, and she is very sound, so I think she will do okay. People just keep telling me that even a sound dog can freak out at Tradex.

I am really hoping for points. I checked out the judges and the first two days look okay, but the Sunday I can relax because it is pretty much impossible for us to place under a European judge, so I already know we won't get points. And if we did place under a European judge...I'd have to be very very proud of my very American-style girl. Since we don't know who is entered until we get there, I am very anxious to know who all these Belgians are. I know who two of the special males and one of the class males are. Visa went Best of Opposite under one of the specials and she beat the class male at the same show to place Best of Winners and then Best of Opposite.

Anyways, I am dead tired. Been running around getting all my stuff together. Wish Visa luck. :) And pray that I don't freak out lol.

Taz_Zoee
10-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Good Luck!!
Can't wait to hear the results. :D

Ginger's Mom
10-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Good luck, Jordan. Go Visa!

cassiesmom
10-25-2007, 01:09 PM
BEST WISHES to Wolfsoul and Visa at the competition!

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Good luck!! I hope everything goes well. :)

animal_rescue
10-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Awww Good Luck Visa and Jordan!! :D

tikeyas_mom
10-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Good Luck!! I'm sure everything will be fine, you have got one beautiful show dog , Visa will win the judges over I'm sure :D. I cant wait to hear all about it, and see some pics too of course :D

wolfsoul
10-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys!

We took Winners Bitch today! 2 points! Only need 3 more. I'm hoping we'll finish this weekend. Two of the females we beat were European imports. :D The judge was very nice. Visa did not show well today unfortunatly, she kept her ears back the entire time we were in the ring and was too busy looking at everything to pay attention to me. So I'm surprised we did as well as we did. Must have been her movement. The other breeders commented on her movement. So altogether a good weekend so far! 3 more points!

Husky_mom
10-26-2007, 03:30 PM
YAY VISA!!..... congrats on the points...... you sure have a very nice girl there!! glad they appreciated it too

good look on the seek for those 3 points.... paws crossed

Karen
10-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Congratulations, Visa, and good luck for tomorrow! WE know you're beautiful, it's good to know the judges concur!

binka_nugget
10-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Congrats!! :D We'll see you guys tomorrow!

wolfsoul
10-27-2007, 04:59 PM
No points today, we took Reserve Winners. Visa was an absolute poohead. Ah well, tomorrow. I'll have somebody else handle her tomorrow, I get too nervous and it freaks her out.

Hellow
10-27-2007, 05:11 PM
This may saund stupid but what is Tradex?

wolfsoul
10-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Tradex is the biggest show in Canada, held by the Lower Mainland Dog Fanciers.

You know the judge went back to Visa, kept looking at her. I think he was really going to pick her. Outside the ring she is fine, inside the ring I am so nervous. When she took reserve one of the breeders told me that I need to calm down, I'm showing her too fast, and my anxiety is wearing off on Visa. She said if someone else handled her she would have taken it from the classes. The judge pulled me aside for a second, looked at her again, and told me "You know, she is very nice. But she is a little shy." He looked very apologetic, I just knew she would have won. Visa is such a friendly outgoing dog, it is so embarassing to see her in this state. I can handle other dogs, but apparently I am not one to handle my own, I just have too much anxiety with my own dogs, and I probaby put more pressure on them. I think with my next dog I will be alot better though. I think my biggest anxiety with Visa is that she will revert back to what her handler made her into (at shows), and in the midst of being anxious about it and trying so hard to keep her happy, I make it worse. She was excellent at the last two shows, no issues there. But those were smaller outdoor shows, I wasn't so nervous then.
Very frustrating situation, I LOVE showing, and Visa loves it too -- but together we are just not a great team. Atleast not until I can calm down. She is excellent. The other breeders keep commenting on her. But I will get somebody to handle her tomorrow, and if she doesn't finish tomorrow I will probably get Marla to handle her for me in January. I think I will be better with my next dog, with a clean slate...no past issues with handlers...I'm probably importing a female in a couple of weeks so we'll see how it goes with that one lol.

Riptide
10-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Congratulations on your accomplishments with Visa!

About your nerves/anxiety -- have you ever tried using Bach's Rescue Remedy? It is a mixture of flower essences that has a calming effect on both people and animals. I first found out about it when, at my first agility trial with Kayla, I was extremely nervous and my instructor squirted some in my mouth (and Kayla's). About 15 minutes later, we were BOTH very calm and focused. I say it's worth a shot!

http://www.bachflower.com/Rescue_Remedy.htm

cassiesmom
10-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Yay for Visa! Congratulations!

wolfsoul
10-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Today went very well! I decided to risk it and handle her myself. I was calmer anyways because I figured she would not do well under the European judge, so I had nothing to lose anyways. I practiced lots of tricks in and out of the ring, and it loosened me up so well, I was concentrating on her tricks so much, by the time it was out turn for examination, I wasn't that nervous. I figured we'd be last in our class. Low and behold,we took Second. I never would have thought it. Visa is as American as you can get, and the other two dogs were MUCH typier than Visa. The Europeans typically like a very different dog, I was very happy -- it is an HONOR to have such a placement under a European judge. We had a great day today. Visa just has an amazing temperament, we had to squeeze through the huge crowd of people while watching and shopping, and she never once complained. So well-behaved, I am very proud of her as Tradex is nervewracking for alot of dogs (and apparently myself!). She is just great.

All of the judges this weekend were excellent. Very understanding of my anxiety, all of them. I would show under any one of them again. They were just awesome and I will recommend them to anyone. I had a wonderful time with the other breeders, they were all so great and helped me alot with my nerves. They showed me how to slow it down a bit and take my time. They were all so great. And I got alot of great comments about Visa. One breeder even wants me to breed her to her stud. I had a great time. Even with yesterday being so terrible in the ring, this whole weekend has been wonderful.

About your nerves/anxiety -- have you ever tried using Bach's Rescue Remedy?
I take my flower essences everyday with tea (I use six of them, to calm my nerves, boost my confidence, etc), but I haven't found it to help -- atleast that I notice. I do believe in homeopathy though. I tried some other stuff before the show -- stuff for dogs, actually, and didn't think that it did anything for me. But who knows, maybe I'd have been worse without it?

In other news, I have decided to change my kennel name back to Uniquity. I want my own reputation, my own name, and my own identity. So I got some forms today to reserve my kennel name. My second choice will be Catalyst, which I'm actually hoping will be the registered name of my next pup (Uniquity's Catalyst). But we'll see, hopefully I get Uniquity!

Ginger's Mom
10-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Waht a wonderful post. :) Jordan, I feel so happy for you. I can feel your excitement, joy and satisfaction of the whole weekend. What a great experience for you and for Visa. I have only experienced dog shows from the other side of the ring, and I can only imagine the anxiety involved for both the dog and handler. But, a few more good experiences like that I think your anxieties will disappear.