PDA

View Full Version : I need help ASAP!

racing_gurl07
10-24-2007, 08:14 PM
My dog, Spencer needs a new home. I am moving to an apartment where there are no animals :( and im trying to find the right home for him. Its so sad iknow :( I feel horrible, but if i find the right home i think ill feel a little bit better.

Anyone in south western Minnesota up to eastern South Dakota? or around the area? I can meet half way if anyone is intrested in him.

Does anyone have any ideas to find him a good home?

thanks for the help-

Jen

Giselle
10-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Petfinder classifieds. Also, some rescues have "Owner Assistance" programs where they'll put your dog up on their site if you pay a small donation fee. As a last (maybe even first) resort, find a good rescue that fosters their dogs and does homechecks. But if you want to personally find your dog a home, screen potential owners well. Get their phone number, e-mail, references, past experiences, their veterinarian, and, if need be, do a home check (safely, of course). Meet with them and all of their other pets in person prior to giving them the dog. If they aren't willing to comply with you, they aren't good potential owners. Be specific and don't be afraid to nitpick. Your dog has been your devoted companion and he deserves for you to find him an owner with the same qualities.

ETA: Did you get your dog from a breeder or rescue? Most rescues require that you give the dog back to them no matter the situation. All reputable breeders require this. Unscrupulous breeders probably don't have this in their contract, but you should check to be safe.

racing_gurl07
10-24-2007, 08:42 PM
we got him from the shelter which is 2 hours away, and i dontknow when illl make it there again. but i think thats what the contract says, is to return the dog if you can care for them. and i trust this humane society, so maybe thats what i have to do? I feel like a bad dog mom, but i have no choice:( the shelter will understand right?

racing_gurl07
10-24-2007, 08:58 PM
I did post a ad on petfinder classifieds, I will see if anyone will answer. If not then I will return him to the sioux Falls, SD shelter.

BC_MoM
10-24-2007, 09:00 PM
They may understand. Then again, maybe not.

On most adoption papers, they ask what will happen to the dog if you ever decide to move. I'm guessing you said it would come with you?

In my opinion, when you adopted Spencer, you commited yourself to him. I don't know why you are choosing to move into an apartment that does not allow pets.

mousie
10-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Aww I'm sorry about having to find a new home for your dog. I live in minneapolis but my parents are not fond of the idea of another dog moving in. But please, talk to the apartment manager, you never know. But really, please don't bring him back to the shelter! Instead, try really hard to find a home for him.

~abigail

loveallfurryfriends
10-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Finding this dog a suitable home is your responsibility. You promised to save his life when you rescued him. Please do not give up.

Taz_Zoee
10-24-2007, 09:40 PM
What about that letter/resume Catty1 was working so hard on?
I will try to find the thread.

Genny
10-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi, sorry you're having to give your dog away, but don't carry him back to the shelter; he would be so scared and you don't know what might happen to him there. Can you not move somewhere else? Is there a family member that can take him? A friend maybe? Just try to do all you can and maybe you can find somebody, I'd just hate for you to have to carry him to the shelter :(

Catty1
10-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Hey racing_gurl!

Taz just Pm'd me. I will PM you with my email addy.

If you can send me a pic of your pup, vet references, neighbour/other references, I will put together a Pet Resume for you.

Freebie.

I know this helped NicoleJ get into places that said they were "no-pet".

Why not try this, and offer to pay a (refundable) deposit?

I probably can't get it to you til tomorrow, but why not give it a shot?

Cheers

pitc9
10-25-2007, 07:28 AM
In my opinion, when you adopted Spencer, you commited yourself to him. I don't know why you are choosing to move into an apartment that does not allow pets.

WELL SAID!!!

Please look into other housing options.

:(

Aspen and Misty
10-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I have to agree with what others have said. I just went through this a few months ago when I was looking for an apartment. We looked at just about every apartment complex before we chose the one we did. The reason we got this one is because it allows dogs. I have 2 large lab mixes and was not willing to leave them behind. It does take extra work, but it's so worth it because I love my pups like they are my kids.

Look around in your area you can find an apartment complex that allows dogs.

Ashley

sandragonfly
10-25-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm sorry to hear this, I sure hope it's not because of the new baby. :( are you going to keep your jigger and tiel too?

I don't know about "no choice" but please try looking into other places along with copy of resumes a poster offered here if you truly wanted him and with some reference letters if you have them. with all of my animals I have, it took me about two and half months the longest, and even we lived in car to find a new home for all of us - I'm not saying I reccomend that but it was worth it in a long run putting in full effort! I am more than sure someone out there could help you temporarily also. what kind dog is he? his age? can you please re-post here what you posted on petfinder and maybe I can help spread the word.

good luck finding his home and whatever happens I hope spencer will get the loving home he deserves.