PDA

View Full Version : Heartbreaking! Suggestions?

Catlady711
10-23-2007, 08:25 PM
I appologize ahead of time for how long I think this post will probably end up being. Bear with me please.

Where I work at has been getting these cases of free sample packs of dry food sent by a pet food company. We're supposed to hand these out to clients to get them to buy their product. Problem is the boss man doesn't want us to get into being a pet store and 'pushing' a particular brand on people, and we simply do not have enough storage space for the excess food. After this last shipment, that we didn't ask for, we simply have run out of storage space for it. I asked the boss man if we could just pare it down to a couple cases and donate the rest to our local Humane Society. He agreed to let me do that, if I would sort through it, load it up and take it there myself. NO problem. I called first to make sure they could handle and store that large of a quantity of food, they were exstatic (sp?) said go ahead bring it over.

Our county Humane Society has always been an extremely small, severly under staffed (volunteers only) and poor no kill shelter. They have been trying to raise money for a new builiding for 10 YEARS and still have not gotten enough. Our area isn't a rich one, and the shelter they have now is practically falling apart.

Normally hubby and I buy a bunch of cat toys, some cat food or litter, and some doggie rawhides and donate to the shelter every Christmas. During the rest of the year I take extra cat food/toys/beds we don't need anymore to them also. I'm always suggesting to people that have extra pet items to donate it to the shelter.

So after work tonight I loaded up the car the freebie food and took it over there with the help of my hubby. They sent out a few people to help carry it in and thanked us profusely and told me to thank my boss man.

It's been almost a year since we've been in there and were SHOCKED to death to see how things had changed!!!

I can't say for sure on the dog kennel area changing any,as we weren't allowed to go in there because it was closed/quaranteed because of raging kennel cough.

As for the cat area it was heartbreaking and shocking. I also found one poor cat who was abandon there as a kitten and now 4 YEARS old! He's lived his whole life in a cage!

Previously when we'd been in there the cat room occupied only one wing of large cages and the cats looked well cared for and most of them reasonably healthy. First thing in the door I realized the area that used to be the lobby/reception area has been converted over to cat cages, I mean wall to wall, floor to ceiling, cat cages! Not all big ones either, some were simply oversized carriers!! Each cage had at least 2 cats some had 3-4 if they were littermates or got along well with each other. Their lobby reception area had been moved into what used to be a storage closet. No joke, they were trying to handle paperwork and adoptions out of a storage closet!!! It got worse from there.

Many of the cats had a nasty URI. Cage after cage was full of cats with runny puffy eyes, runny noses, and you couldn't stand very close to some cages or you'd get sneezed on with plenty of mucus! The staff was running around from cage to cage like mad trying to get Clavamox into about a dozen or so cats, and wiping eyes to keep them from getting stuck shut with gunk. This was just in what used to be the lobby area!!

I honestly think their sickest cats were in this room as the regular cat room fared somewhat better with the URI's but they had two diabetic cats they were giving insulin injections to while another staff member was trying to go around with a watering can to refill water bowls while at the same time trying to change litterboxes! I saw one cage where the cat had apparently drown one of it's toy mice in it's waterbowl, the water was the same color as the mouse had been and was not drinkable anymore. Many of the cats had flipped over their food bowls or scattered food into the water or just plain raked litter all over the cage.

While I realize cats just make a mess sometimes but they were in no way, shape or form able to care for so many cats at the same time. No staff member was idle or dawdling. It was total chaos of them running from cage to cage trying to take care of the cats as well as answer phones and normal office stuff.

Even my hubby, who will publicly deny he likes cats (although he really does) was shocked and heartbroken over the conditions there. When we got home he picked up several of the cats (after changing clothes and washing his hands of course), hugged them and told them how lucky they were to have a home with us. Although he'd never admit to doing such a thing.

Anyways the point of this whole heartbreaking post is that hubby and I decided we want to help out the shelter far more than we have in the past. We don't have alot of extra money as 7 cats take up a large portion of the income even with my discounts, and because of our work hours and the shelter's hours it isn't feasable to help out directly as I don't like the thought of exposing my own cats to more diseases than I curently encounter at work. I have to think of my own kitties first.

However...

Hubby and I are both avid photographers and thought maybe we could volunteer to take pictures for their website for adoptions/fundraisers/newsletter. We both could post the shelter's 'want list' up at our workplaces and I'm going to ask the boss man if I can put a bin for donations for food etc. at the hospital and then run that down to the shelter once a week or whatever. My workplace already strongly advocates spay/neuter with our clients.

My mom suggested asking local hotels if they have any old towels they could donate and I could take them down to the shelter for them.

I was wondering if anyone else had some suggestions of small ways we could help out that didn't involve alot of money or caring for the animals directly???

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hubby and I felt terrible to see how bad things had gotten there and want to help out in ways that we can manage to do. I doubt that we could help out enough to allow them to get their new building but they can use any help they can get right now.

I'm NOT asking for any donations from the PT family. While I realize many of you may want to help out, I'd FAR rather your time, money, effort go to helping your own local shelters out. I hope you all understand. All I'm needing is suggestions of ways hubby and I can help our own little corner of the animal shelter world.

Thank you in advance and for bearing with my overly wordy post! :)

Karen
10-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Compose and send a letter each to local schools - pick a specific teacher is best to address it to - and to local churches, listing specifically what donations the shelter needs. Old towels, old stuffed toys, any cat or dog food ... and, most importantly, who they can contact at the shelter to arrange a time to drop stuff off.

And have a list attached of the volunteer opportunities and parameters if people have to be a certain age or have any kind of trainng, or whether, for example, a Scout troop could volunteer to come by once a month and clean cages and walk dogs, for example. If various groups volunteered, they could be spread out throughout the month so that it happens regularly.

Stress that time is just as important as money, and if for example, you are poor and on a fixed income so cannot donate anything, but have time you could donate, that would be great!

Catlady711
10-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Compose and send a letter each to local schools - pick a specific teacher is best to address it to - and to local churches, listing specifically what donations the shelter needs. Old towels, old stuffed toys, any cat or dog food ... and, most importantly, who they can contact at the shelter to arrange a time to drop stuff off.

And have a list attached of the volunteer opportunities and parameters if people have to be a certain age or have any kind of trainng, or whether, for example, a Scout troop could volunteer to come by once a month and clean cages and walk dogs, for example. If various groups volunteered, they could be spread out throughout the month so that it happens regularly.

Stress that time is just as important as money, and if for example, you are poor and on a fixed income so cannot donate anything, but have time you could donate, that would be great!

Good ideas Karen thank you.

I don't know about my own church members as they struggle financially, however other churches in the area have more money and larger congregations than ours does, I'll see what I can do with writing a few letters to them.

I myself am not 'poor' per se, but to take care of my cats in the manner I think they should be does take up a large portion of the income though. We do have some time to donate and I'm sure any little bit would help.

I hadn't even thought of writing letters to the school or scouts, great idea.

I'm thinking that, compared to other humane societies I've seen that ours doesn't do a very good job with adopt-a-thons or advertisement/fundraisers due to lack of volunteers or organization and that could be part of the problem. I realize people in our area tend to be more along the line of needing the services of the spay/neuter/vaccination clinic more than donating to it's cause. But I honestly believe that if more people knew of how badly the help was needed there some would donate more or at least donate if they haven't before.

Thank you for the great ideas!

jazzcat
10-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Try Public Service Announcements on local radio and tv/cable stations. They are free. Also see if your local paper would be willing to feature an "Adoptable Pet of the Week" with a picture and also if they would run a story on the plight of the shelter and the need for funds, donations and volunteers. Those are a few things that might help get the word out to the public, of course only if the shelter is willing to go that route.

I think your idea for helping with pictures is great. Getting them set up on Petfinders with good pictures and descriptions might really help the adoption rate.

Catty1
10-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Those poor pets and people!

I agree, they probably just don't have time or energy to get the word out!

Would the local town government help at all?

Write the schools and everything - even the papers and radio stations...

..wouldn't it be wonderful if some building stores or companies donated materials (even used), and a bunch of people volunteered to paint and build and refurbish?

There might even be grants available for them that no one has had time to find out about.

If you get the word out, and through the media too, things are bound to happen. If people in that town saw TV pictures of what it is like in there, I bet there's be another volunteer or two.

PRAYERS that the shelter gets everything it needs and more - and bless you and hubby for DOING something about the situation.

kitten645
10-23-2007, 11:47 PM
The shelter I volunteer at has an after school program for high school kids. It gives them school credit for the time they volunteer. Scouts also earn points for volunteering.
Are you familiar with Free Cycle?? It's a email group where you post what sort of things you have to give away or want for free. There are local ones everywhere. Ask for everything you can think of. I'm amazed at what people have lying around just waiting to get rid of. www.freecycle.org
You might also post on Craigslist for donations AND volunteers. I bet it would be a big help to them to just co-ordinate volunteers. I know from experience it's a huge time consuming process.
My shelter also does fundraisers. Get stuff donated thru methods mentioned above and have a garage sale with all proceeds going to the shelter.
Get local businesses to donate services and goods and sell raffle tickets. You can print them up at home. ie raffle off a meal at a restaurant. Or a manicure. The business gets publicity and the shelter gets $$. If you get big enough donations ie art or something of value, you could also do a silent auction.
Perhaps local businesses have merchandise they put on clearance and at some point it just needs to be gotten rid of...ask if they will donate to the shelter. If it's xmas towels in mid jan you could use them for the shelter or if it's merch the shelter doesn't need you could use it for a garage sale.
You have to get creative! LOL! It isn't just money this shelter needs but time and people.
Good luck and pm me if you want further help or advice.

Freedom
10-24-2007, 08:11 AM
It sounds like they need to to say "no, we can not take any more at this time, we are FULL!"

Many churches require confirmation students to be invovled in a community service project for one year. Let them know this is an opportunity!

catmandu
10-24-2007, 06:14 PM
SADLY I HAD THE FEELING THAT THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN MORE AND MORE AS THE ABANDONED PETS START TO MULTIPLY AND MORE AND MORE UNWANTED PETS ARE PICKED UP AND TAKEN TO SHELTERS.
AND THATS NOT COUNTING THE LUCKEST PETS WHO DIE N THE WILD OR ARE RUN OVER BY CARS OR KILLED BY PREDETORS, HUMAN AND WILD.
ITS A HIGH PRICE THESE PETS ARE APYING BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE SO IRRESPONSIBLE.
A VERY HIGH PRICE INDEED.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/cats1011292.jpg
THEY ARE MORE LUCKY THAN THEY KNOW.

G535
10-24-2007, 07:00 PM
The thought of that poor cat kept in a cage for four years is heartbreaking, would he not have been better off put to sleep? Our shelter keeps cats for a few months, even longer if someone shows a bit of interest, but they would not keep them in cages for so long.

moosmom
10-24-2007, 09:46 PM
I have ALWAYS said, MEDIA, MEDIA, MEDIA!!!!! Call every tv, radio station and tell your story. Show pictures of what the place looks like with floor to ceiling cages. See how fast things turn around.

Fundraiswers can be anything from a bake sale, have everyone empty their attics and have a charity tag sale. One man's junk is another man's treasure. Go to placed like Petco, Pet Supplies Plus, any kind of shop that deals with pets. Ask for donations and do a silent raffle.

Those poor creatures need to be noticed. No one and nothing should have to live like that.

That reminded me of the Dearborn Animal Shelter in Dearborn, MI. Ugh!! :mad:

Katjaye
10-24-2007, 10:00 PM
I have no advice but I will be praying for you and your husband and for the cats and the shelter...Good Luck!

Catlady711
10-25-2007, 01:01 AM
I belong to several freecycle groups in my area, I'll keep my eyes open on offers for stuff the H.S. can use. I'll also try posting a wanted ad there as well.

I'm not very good at face to face dealings with businesses and stuff, I'm very shy, and prefer to help behind the scenes. However I'm usually good with letter writing so I'll be writing up some letters to our local papers and business' and see what they say.

I agree they should just say no more pets, but I think they are too kind hearted to turn away a pregnant cat dumped on their doorstep. I agree with no-kill shelters to a point, but I agree that keeping a cat in a cage for 4 years seems like it's doing almost as much harm as good. It's a catch 22 there.

Thanx for the ideas, keep them coming along with your prayers!

orangemm
10-25-2007, 04:20 AM
Our library has large boxes in the foyer that are marked for pet donations; food, towels, blankets, bedding, litter, etc. Maybe you could ask the libraries in your area for help also. I always find something to donate and the boxes usually fill up pretty quickly.

Freedom
10-25-2007, 08:39 AM
I was going to suggest libraries but for a different reason. The often have teen group events. Book discussions, holiday crafts and so forth. Another place to let people know they can volunteer and make a difference.

See, the thing with volunteers is, you have a constant turnover, so you need a constant stream coming in. Plus some of them are like we here on PT; we end up adopting!

Catty1
10-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Our local library has 'meet-a-pet' or something from the local HS once a month - maybe more.

Can't recall if the kids actually get to meet a pet - I think they do - and they and their parents get some education on looking after a pet properly!

Please keep us posted. I agree with Donna - MEDIA FIRST! Then there will be a few more people to help with putting boxes in libraries etc. :)

Catlady711
10-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Hmmm I hadn't thought of the libraries. I have noticed donation bins for other things in there before and they do have a buletin board. I'll have to ask the librarians and see what they say. Thank you.