PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

slleipnir
10-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Ok...this might sound kinda gross, so forgive me.

A friend of mine was telling me about his cat. He said he was holding it or something and after he put her down he had this discharge or something on him. I think he said it was really smelly. She is a young(ish?) female and is spayed. Any ideas? I think he says it was sorta clear or grayish?

jazzcat
10-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Do cats have anal gland problems like dogs? I don't have a clue other than that.

kt_luvs_kitties
10-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Yes it was probably anal glands. If it happens again, it wont hurt to get her checked out ;)

moosmom
10-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Could be pyometria which is a uterine infection in unspayed females. She needs to see a vet.

Medusa
10-24-2007, 07:43 AM
I've not experienced this w/my cats but a discharge doesn't sound normal to me. When in doubt, check it out. See your vet now.

slleipnir
10-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll let him know that. If it is anal glads is it similar to what dogs get? Josie used to drag her butt on the floor a lot and needed her glands expressed...is it the same idea?

Could be pyometria which is a uterine infection in unspayed females. She needs to see a vet.

She is a young(ish?) female and is spayed.

catmandu
10-24-2007, 06:39 PM
That Could Well Be The Reason, Actually It Must Be As They Would See A Dscharge From Another Source, And I Would Get Her To A Vet Asap.

Katjaye
10-24-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't know if this applies but a friend of mine had his kitten spayed and then the kitten had a discharge and it was an infection from the surgery...so...maybe to play it safe he should have it checked out?

slleipnir
10-24-2007, 10:43 PM
The cat is probably a few years old atleast...I think she was spayed as a kitten.

sandragonfly
10-25-2007, 12:03 AM
I'll let him know that. If it is anal glads is it similar to what dogs get? Josie used to drag her butt on the floor a lot and needed her glands expressed...is it the same idea?
yup, same as dogs. the odor substance that express by pooping (or spontaneously by being alarmed) and if he says it's really smelly then yeah, must be anal glands (unless coming from somewhere else than rectum). my few of cats just had expressed and sometimes it gets on me before they could get a chance cleaning it up. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be worried but if the cat continues doing so, rubs, wipes, licks his rectum too often, he may have anal sacs infected and should be checked, and expressed regularly by vet. unless you can too, it's not too hard. :) but use some gloves - the smell doesn't get rid of easy!