PDA

View Full Version : My Dog ate a key

way2flylucy
10-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I stumbled across the forum a little while ago and have done some lurking. Now I have a question. My 7 month old puppy is quite the escape artist and learned how to open her cage. We put a lock with a key on the latch to keep it shut. We have been keeping the key in the lock, thinking she wouldn't be able to turn the key. Today, when I went to get her out of her cage, the key was missing, and just the little silver chain was sitting inside her cage. I'm afraid she somehow knocked the key loose and ate it because I can't find it anywhere. Any thoughts on whether she will just pass it, if she ate it. Could the key be made from a toxic metal? Could it cause serious injury? The key was silver.

Thanks.

humm
10-24-2007, 02:46 PM
you should really call a vet. if she ate the key it could get stuck and cause a blockage, which would not be good.

lvpets2002
10-24-2007, 02:52 PM
:o Oh I yes I agree with humm on take this baby to see the Vet.. Poor wittle puppy.. Sounds like your puppy is a lot of fun & funny.. Welcome to PT & enjoy all the talks & pictures..
you should really call a vet. if she ate the key it could get stuck and cause a blockage, which would not be good.

luvofallhorses
10-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Please take him to the vet!!! Keys can dissolve in their stomach and it won't be good!!

Alysser
10-24-2007, 08:13 PM
A key is a sharp object that can cause internal bleeding! PLEASE take your pup to the vet.

way2flylucy
10-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Oh, dear! I'll definitely call the vet in the morning. I haven't seen the key make a reappearance, if she even ate it. I really think she must have since it's nowhere to be found. Thanks for your opinions. I'll let you know what happens.

Alysser
10-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Well, it's better safe then sorry! Thanks for calling the vet. He'll probably take an x-ray. I hope there really isn't a problem but I think it's important to solve it early then have a bigger or worse problem later.

ScottieMommy
10-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Call your vet ASAP my friends Pug ate a penny years ago and died two days later because of the acid the penny released i believe, if she told me corectly.