PDA

View Full Version : MISSED A THREAD? Here's what works for me.

Freckles
08-06-2002, 08:18 PM
Sometimes someone says they stay in the dog threads and missed something in the cats - or visa versa. When this version of Pet Talk was new,I used the index of Dog, Cat, Pet, Other threads often, checking all the Generals, Health, etc. but I seldom use it now.

This method keeps me up-to-date on all the topics. See if it might work for you:

First thing in the morning, I go to "View New Posts". These are sorted by most recent post at the top. Usually there are a couple of pages. I scroll down the Search >Thread Results to familiar titles, such as "Boots the Kat, visits the Vet"., click on it for the latest info, go back to Thread Results and check the other titles. If I'm in a hurry, I may check just a few old threads or interesting new titles. If I'm not in a hurry, I open all the threads. But I'm looking in all the categories so I'm not missing anything important. I may click on refresh/reload once in a while because topics with new posts rise to the top.

I close off the web several times a day. When I come back to Pet Talk, I use "View Today's Active Threads". This may be three or four pages, but newest stuff is always on top. I also check the other columns to see who posted last, the time, etc. I browse here a lot. Stuff on the last page are usually yesterday's posts.

I can tell some of you already use this method. Others may want to give it a try. Or not. That's OK, too.

Fuzzy317
08-06-2002, 08:53 PM
I have a Pet Talk bookmarked, but the one I use 9 times out of 10 is a bookmark that brings up the daily active threads. I scroll down through the list of threads, look at most of them, respond to some.

Freckles
08-06-2002, 10:24 PM
Gee whiz, Fuzzy, you said the same thing I did with 80% less words. :D

Fuzzy317
08-06-2002, 10:37 PM
I think you talked more about "why" than I did. If my post had been first, it may have had all the "whys" your did.

kohala
08-07-2002, 12:40 AM
I get email notices to threads I have subscribed to, is this standard practice? I like your suggestion, both of you! Obviously, if there's a new thread I haven't seen, they won't email me (another "Duh" moment!):p

Fuzzy317
08-07-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by kohala
I get email notices to threads I have subscribed to, is this standard practice? I like your suggestion, both of you! Obviously, if there's a new thread I haven't seen, they won't email me (another "Duh" moment!):p

Subscribing to a thread is common practice on each BBS, as far as I know. For me, it is easier to just check the new posts or the daily active.

Randi
08-07-2002, 04:27 AM
I always open active threads immediately, as Fuzzy. That way, you can see what is happening in all forums and check the ones of interest - new posts will always be on top! ;)

Kohala! After a while of getting e-mail notices, you may want to uncheck that botton in "Edit Options" unless you want loads of e-mails! ;)

Rachel
08-07-2002, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm going to try this approach.

Piglet
08-07-2002, 06:39 AM
I just tried the 'today's active threads' option and it works great! much quicker than checking out every PT e-mail notification...
...although all those e-mails do make you feel like you've got loads of friends and are real important..;)

Ann
08-07-2002, 07:10 AM
I only check Cat General, Dog General, Pet General and General. Sure, I might miss a lot but I honestly don't have the time to look through everything. I've done the active threads thingy in the past too, but I like the way I'm doing it now better actually.

tatsxxx11
08-07-2002, 07:50 AM
Great suggestions, guys. In the past I rarely took advantage of these organizers/time savers that came with the new software!

momoffuzzyfaces
08-07-2002, 11:10 AM
I like getting an email on certain threads. For example; Boots the cat's vet visit: I can tell when Cinder and Smoke update on his condition and check it out. I sometimes have trouble remembering the title of a thread so if it's one I want to check on again, I'll have an email notice sent. I don't mark receive email on everything but it's a nice option to have. I was glad to have it when Perry and Daisy were so ill. I'll also admit to using it when I start a thread, just to see if any one has posted on it. I usually start the day with looking at the new posts then later check out the entire days posts. But I have more time on my hands than lots of people. Even at that, I miss some that I would like to reply to.:D

Randi
08-07-2002, 03:55 PM
MOFF! Do I know the feeling! :rolleyes: Some days, I'm rather busy with other things and I just don't have the time to reply to all the threads I want - then, a few days later, I often think it's too late! :o

I also try only to look at Cat forums and General - and Puzzles. ;)

sasvermont
08-07-2002, 04:00 PM
I thought everyone looked at every post! Just kidding. I, too, usually look at the newest....but I miss seeing somethings just because the Thread Label is old or I think I'm not interested....Then weeks later I find out a pet is deathly sick or some other thing that I wished I had known about.

I just don't have the time to look and post and work and live!!!!
All at the same time!

:(

kohala
08-07-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Randi
Kohala! After a while of getting e-mail notices, you may want to uncheck that botton in "Edit Options" unless you want loads of e-mails! ;)
Thanks, Randi! I just open everything, but then I have to have major "delete" fests! Your tip will get me to what I want, the latest "news"! Thanks, all!!!

Randi
05-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Yes, it sure is! There's quite a few "Newcomers" since. :)

Cataholic
05-07-2004, 11:19 AM
I always forget to check the date of the first post! I was like, "where was I when this was going on..." and come to realize it was 2 years ago!

It is a good idea, to use the active thread finder. I wish I had time to check every post. **must get new job***...

Barbara
05-07-2004, 01:01 PM
I always check the threads in between things at the office:o
So I go under Cat General and General- unsystematically- just as I want.. If there is more time, I also go to Cat health and Cat rescue. I had the e-mail option of active threads earlier but I cancelled it as I get too much mails.

BTW I try to answer the COTD thread daily (sometimes I start it - due to time difference;) ) I remember how much I liked the posts Filou and Tigris were getting when they were COTD:D

RICHARD
05-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Freckles

I close off the web several times a day. When I come back to Pet Talk, I use "View Today's Active Threads". This may be three or four pages, but newest stuff is always on top. I also check the other columns to see who posted last, the time, etc. I browse here a lot. Stuff on the last page are usually yesterday's posts.
NOOOOOOO!!!!

And waste more time doing work????;)