PDA

View Full Version : HOME NEEDED FOR A DIABETIC CAT 5.5 Years Old

Anikaca77
10-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi All,

Here I go again trying to save more cats! Isn't that what we all do for a living :) Anyway there was this post on craigslist and I contact the lady Tonya and asked her more information about her cat and if she could provide meds for the cat for a year if someone could take her and she said she is not in a position to do that. She said she would do this though:

The meds are perscription so I could not supply them.
I was told from my vet it would cost about $75-$100
for a supply of insulin and suringes that would last
around 3 months. A bag of perscription diabetic food
is $25 and that last almost 2 months. I will give
remaining food and blood sugar level testing equipment
to anyone willing to adopt her. I am not in the
situation to be able to continue to pay for her care
though.

Thanks,
Tonya

Here is her ad from craigslist:

5.5 year old cat free to a good home. She has diabetes and I am not able to give her the insulin she needs. She is very affectionate and would prefer not to be in a house with dogs. She is an indoor cat and is fixed, but has her claws. Please adopt Jasmine and give her the love and care she needs. Call anytime 814-571-4722

I just e-mailed her to find out if there is a timeline that the cat needs to go or what. I'll keep you all posted.

phesina
10-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Where is the cat located? (What area or part of the country?)

Anikaca77
10-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Jasmine is located in Boalsburg, PA which is just 3 miles from where I live. If I didn't have 6 of my own and a bigger place and well extra $$$ I would take Jasmine in a second.

jennielynn1970
10-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Poor Jasmine. She's really sweet looking. Sigh. I don't deal with needles (I pass out, lol), so this one isn't for me.

catmandu
10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Aaaaw!!
Jasmine Has Such A Sweet Little Face, We Pray That Someone In The Keystone State Will Want A Cuddle Bug Who Heeds A Little Extra Care!!
She Does Look So Sweet!!!

Medusa
10-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Boy, I hate to hear this. I hope Jasmine finds a home soon. Good luck.

Anikaca77
10-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Any suggestions as to where else I could tell this women to post so maybe she could find a good home for her cat.

Craftlady
10-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Has she checked into mail ordering the supplies (should be way cheaper than getting from the vet's office)?

doolittleky
10-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Tell whoever adopts her that get her syringes and insulin at Walmart. A box of 100 syringes is approximately 13 dollars and vial of insulin, at least the kind I use for mine is about 18.00 dollars. At one time I had SEVEN diabetics, most of now died and I only have 3. Giving shots is not hard at all. The main thing is keeping them on a regular schedule and paying close attention to them in case of their blood glucose getting too high or too low.
melissa

Craftlady
10-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Maybe getting supplies at Walmart will allow her to keep Jasmine?

Anikaca77
10-25-2007, 02:45 PM
I sent her the idea and hopefully I will hear from her soon. I did ask her if there is a certain timeline and she never replyed.

Jasmine is so beautiful I'd hate for her to end up in the pound.

doolittleky
10-25-2007, 02:49 PM
I also just thought about something. There is a diabetics group on yahoo. I don't know the link but if you google it you probably can find it. Also critters blongs to a group handicapped pets that if I remember right has a meesage board for diabetics. I use to have the link on my favorites but they worked on the computers at work and I lost all of them. I will try to look it up or pm critters.
Melissa

DrKym
10-25-2007, 03:14 PM
After MUCH thought and several family discussions..we would take her, I spoke with my vet and he is fine with monitoring her sugar and also dealing with the thyriodic dog and the vWB dog. As this will not add much more to our vet bills we are willing to adopt her. If we can get some transport help. Please let us know.

Anikaca77
10-25-2007, 03:22 PM
OH that would be so great.

Where do you live?

Thanks,
Melissa

After MUCH thought and several family discussions..we would take her, I spoke with my vet and he is fine with monitoring her sugar and also dealing with the thyriodic dog and the vWB dog. As this will not add much more to our vet bills we are willing to adopt her. If we can get some transport help. Please let us know.

Taz_Zoee
10-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Kym (and family) you are amazing!! :)

DrKym
10-25-2007, 03:49 PM
No we are not. I can take on a very few more, and I am a bit choosy as to whom we will help. Jasmine needs someone that understands being sick. I can do that, and my darling Lex is the most accepting cat ever,so in memory of Io we decided that Jasmine should be here if we are approved.

Anikaca77
10-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Well everyone, I'm going to be needing some help I'm sure to get Jasmine from State College, PA to Illinois.

Any volunteers please PM me.

I'm going to be calling Tonya tonight and see what she thinks but I'm sure in the best interest of Jasmine this is what is best and I have a feeling that this women will not be able to help contribute to this $$ wise but we'll see.

I'll let you all know what she say's when I speak with her tonight.

Melissa

cassiesmom
10-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Melissa ... when does kitty make the move?

Anikaca77
10-26-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm not sure yet exactly I need to talk with Kym about it and the owner of Jasmine.

Melissa ... when does kitty make the move?

smokey the elder
10-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks for adopting this cat. Have you had a diabetic cat before? It's not too hard to manage.

GILL
10-26-2007, 01:59 PM
A diabetic cat is very easy, our PATCHS was with us for almost 18 years.
She ate regular food and got her shot every morning. In the end she had no teeth and her caterats were so bad that I know she could not see from one eye and very little from the other, but she still rulled the house. She was never a large cat she averaged 6-7 pounds. I watched her put our Main coon in his place one day. I still miss her.

cassiesmom
10-26-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure yet exactly I need to talk with Kym about it and the owner of Jasmine.
Please keep me in mind. I'm in the Chicago area.

Anikaca77
10-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Please see the New Thread I started reading Volunteers to help drive Jasmine!

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=135295

phesina
10-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I will be glad to contribute some money.

Pat

jennielynn1970
10-26-2007, 04:18 PM
OH, here's a way I can help!!! The woman who I got Smudge (or whatever name he ends up with, lol) from ordered one of those HUGE cat play crates. It's still in the box. How about I drive it to you Melissa, and then that can go along with the kitty, and Kym can use it however it would benefit her?? Would that work out for you, Kym?? I haven't even opened it since it was shipped here.