PDA

View Full Version : some people really amaze me

humm
10-21-2007, 09:25 PM
my sister works at the local SPCA, and she's fostering a pit bull named lexi for a few days. this dog is great! she's super mellow and loves to cuddle.
anyways, here's where it gets crappy...
two random people today called lexi ugly. this completely pissed me off. i guess since she's a pit bull that equals "bad". then as i'm taking her for a walk people are looking at us like we're scum. i don't get it. i just had to vent this. this really bothered me.

luvofallhorses
10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
some people suck when it comes to pit bulls. :mad: no dog is ugly, I love pit bulls and think they are one of the best looking dogs ever. :)

caseysmom
10-21-2007, 09:42 PM
I was at the shelter volunteering today, a husband, wife and toddler walked by, the husband was showing an interest in a pitty that is an absolute love, the wife said "forget it, it will rip her head off" infering it would rip the babies head off :(

humm
10-21-2007, 10:35 PM
I was at the shelter volunteering today, a husband, wife and toddler walked by, the husband was showing an interest in a pitty that is an absolute love, the wife said "forget it, it will rip her head off" infering it would rip the babies head off :(

:rolleyes: how typical. poor dog. i feel sorry for the husband too. wife sounds like a real tool. you can't lump dogs like that into one group. they're all different.

Giselle
10-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Welcome to the pittie owner's life, the Tosa Inu owner's life, the Akitas, Dobermans, Great Danes, GSDs, Rotties, Mastiffs, Chows, even Huskies/Mals. These and more are all targeted breeds - targeted by homeowner's insurance, media hype, and public ignorance. It's sad, but it's the life of a 'bad rep' breed. The best we can do is to present an honorable image of our dogs and hope that we can dispel the ignorance through ardent education :) And it doesn't hurt to have some thick skin!

ETA: Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder ;) Some people think greyhounds are ugly because they're so skinny and streamlined. Some people think Pekes are ugly furballs. But if you ask me, I've never seen two more beautiful dogs than my grey and my peke.

Jessika
10-22-2007, 01:22 AM
ETA: Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder ;) Some people think greyhounds are ugly because they're so skinny and streamlined. Some people think Pekes are ugly furballs. But if you ask me, I've never seen two more beautiful dogs than my grey and my peke.
Yup, that's what I was going to say. Not that I would walk up to someone and tell them their dog is ugly, though, that's just plain rude! That's just as bad as walking up to someone's child and telling the parent how ugly it is. It's just rude. I personally never say "ugly", but some dogs are just more appealing to me than others ;)

But yes, unfortunately stereotypes are going to follow pitties no matter where they go and unfortunately people choose to listen to these stereotypes and the media instead of forming their own opinion. But that's why we need more people like your sister out there with well behaved pitties to change their opinion when they meet one on the street :)

Besides, most people couldn't correctly identify a pittie if they saw one lol I've had people think that a lab was a pit before, simply because of its broad head.

3muttsandaboston
10-22-2007, 03:08 AM
I absolutely hate it when dogs are stereotyped. And I also hate it when people call my dogs ugly. People used to always tell me how ugly my heart dog Zoe was. It always made me so angry. My parents and sister tell me all the time how ugly Lucy is too. :eek: And my friend always comments on how ugly Maggie is. It really makes me angry.

Freedom
10-22-2007, 08:39 AM
It's a reflexion on the person who made the comment; not on the dog! Gotta keep that in mind, it helps sometimes.

Can we see a pic of a foster?

lute
10-22-2007, 08:40 AM
It takes a special kind of person to be a Pittie owner. There is not a day that goes by that I don't hear "That dog is gonna snap." "You should get rid of that dog. It will eat you." "That dog will attack your other dogs!"

I have answers for every last one of those statements. No, Brick will not snap. I'd fear a Cocker Spaniel snapping around children than my Pit Bull. Riiiight. My dog is going to EAT ME! Do you know how stupid that even sounds? Eat my other dogs? Did you know that I have a 3 1/2 week old puppy at home and my Pit Bull is the only dog I have that is gentle enough to be around her.

No Pit Bull is ugly! They all deserve a chance at a home just like any breed. It's incredible that your sister is fostering a Pittie. I wish more foster homes were open to it. BTW, do you have any pics of this cutie?

humm
10-22-2007, 11:50 AM
here she is...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/dethlikesilence/lexi.jpg

look at those big brown eyes! :)

here's a link to her page on petfinder, more pics (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9379489)

humm
10-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Besides, most people couldn't correctly identify a pittie if they saw one lol I've had people think that a lab was a pit before, simply because of its broad head.

she couldn't!! after she calls her ugly, she goes in to pet her and asks what type of dog she is. as soon as i say pitbull she quickly pulls her hand away. lol, what an ass. i didn't want her touching lexi anyway. she wasn't good enough. ;)

humm
10-22-2007, 12:03 PM
It takes a special kind of person to be a Pittie owner. There is not a day that goes by that I don't hear "That dog is gonna snap." "You should get rid of that dog. It will eat you." "That dog will attack your other dogs!"

as i was taking her for a walk, we passed two other dogs that were in a little spat [the one dog's owner didn't have her dog on a leash and it ran after another dog] and she glanced at them once and kept on walking. she couldn't care less. it was great, the "big mean pit bull" just ignored the dogs that were fighting. one was a border collie i think and i'm not sure about the other one. :D