PDA

View Full Version : Biting???

SheltieLover234
05-09-2001, 04:04 PM
How do I get my dog to stop biting?

aly
05-09-2001, 04:39 PM
Is your dog a puppy? Is it playful biting? What we do at the shelter when a puppy starts mouthing and biting us, we say "OUCH!!!" in a loud, high pitched voice. This gets most of them to back off. The ones who don't back off and usually the really dominant ones who require extensive training. The important thing is to make your voice really loud when you say ouch. Try this and see if it works.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-09-2001, 04:53 PM
Is your dog a puppy? Most puppies bite like that. What kind of dog do you have? Anyway-
do you get Dog Fance magazine? I do. If you do, look at page 66-67. There's an article about 4 easy steps to stop nipping and biting. I suggest that you buy your dog a SOFT muzzle, so it won't hurt him, DO NOT buy a muzzle with a basket, because it does not leave enough room for your dog to pant when he/she is soft. Or, talk to your vet, mabey they can help you solve the problem!!!
And when you are out in public, bring a chew toy, or a few dog treats, so you can distract he/she when wanting to nip or bite!!! Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

tatsxxx11
05-09-2001, 06:13 PM
Much more info needed! Sheltie? Age? Biting under what circumstance, e.g. fear aggression, protecting you or your home? For how long? Since puppyhood, or as an adult? Has he or she ever attended obedience classes? This is definitely a topic for Carrie, if she's out there!

willemyn
05-12-2001, 05:25 PM
I usually say ouch and stand up and look at the sky for a 1 minute and when he/her stops biting I tell him he's wonderful and I give him/her a cookie but you have to keep doing this and don't look at him/her because then if you look at them they think it's a game and you want them to keep biting you.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Willemyn

barbi
06-06-2001, 09:34 AM
My flat-coat retriever was into heavy nipping when she was one month old. I tried the approach of screaming "OUCH" then saying "NO!!" really firm and putting her in the crate for 10 minutes. It took 2 days for her to get the message, which really amazed me that she figured out what I meant so fast. We're trying this approach with a new chihuahua puppy we have (Buffy) - so far it's been 3 days and she's nipping less, but we're still at it. Below is a link to pictures of my dogs. Hope you like them.
http://www.geocities.com/youngcasanova1/MansBestFriend.html

Barbi

gotta_hava_dog
06-08-2001, 11:19 AM
You have a border collie, right? I do, too. They are very oral, at least mine is. The loud 'Ouch' works well. Also praise him when he switches the behavior to licking instead. BC's will get it very, very quickly. Also, be sure he has lots and lots of his own toys.