PDA

View Full Version : Computer people please help

3muttsandaboston
10-20-2007, 04:55 PM
My computer is fairly new. I got it christmas of 2006. It has windows xp. Well my problem is the dvd drive. It is supposed to be a cd/dvd readable writable drive but it only reads cd's it doesn't read dvds. Recently I got a new cd/dvd drive and it also only reads cds but not dvds so I don't think it's a problem with the drive. Can anyone help me? :D

Sirrahsim
10-20-2007, 05:08 PM
If you are trying to watch a movie DVD you will not be able to unless you have a special plug in. Many cd/dvd drives come with the plug ins but mine, for example, did not. What happens when you put a DVD in?

edited to add: A plug-in is basically a piece of software that you download for a fee. It is not something that you physically plug in! :)

Hellow
10-20-2007, 05:18 PM
If you are trying to watch a movie DVD you will not be able to unless you have a special plug in. Many cd/dvd drives come with the plug ins but mine, for example, did not. What happens when you put a DVD in?

edited to add: A plug-in is basically a piece of software that you download for a fee. It is not something that you physically plug in! :)

Actually, an plug-in is found for free online mostly. Did you install the software that came with your cd-rw/dvd drive? There are multiple reasons this could be caused by: Malfunction in the cd-rw/dvd drive, bad connector, defective card, the list goes on. I cant give you an exact diognostics unless you provide the exact specifications: Memory, CPU, CD-RW/DVD drive maker, Computer brand, and year computer was made.

Sirrahsim
10-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Actually, an plug-in is found for free online mostly. Did you install the software that came with your cd-rw/dvd drive? There are multiple reasons this could be caused by: Malfunction in the cd-rw/dvd drive, bad connector, defective card, the list goes on. I cant give you an exact diognostics unless you provide the exact specifications: Memory, CPU, CD-RW/DVD drive maker, Computer brand, and year computer was made.
the plug in that I am referring to is not freeware. If you are using a freeware version then you are stealing.

3muttsandaboston
10-20-2007, 05:27 PM
When I put a dvd in and click on the drive in my computer it says "Please insert cd into drive D" How do I find the right type of plug-in for my problem. I don't want to have to pay for something and then it be the wrong thing.

Catty1
10-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Do a re-install of your CD...I hope you still have it.

Or Google "Plug in for (brand of) CD/DVD Windows XP". You should be able to find one.

You might even find one on the Windows site itself.

Good luck.

3muttsandaboston
10-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the info. My computer is a:
Emachines, microsoft windows xp, 2006, 160 gb hard drive, dvd-rw drive. I was hoping the new dvd drive that I got would come with something to help me but it just came with roxio. I really don't want to reinstall everything since that will erase all my pictures and everything.

G535
10-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Some of the newer DVD burners require an 80 wire cable instead of the old 40 wire cable. What sort of DVDs have you tried in it?

3muttsandaboston
10-20-2007, 09:56 PM
the burnable dvd-rw types and normal movie dvds.

DrKym
10-20-2007, 09:59 PM
the plug in that I am referring to is not freeware. If you are using a freeware version then you are stealing.

My husband designs and builds freeware.it is NOT stealing hence the Freeware if you are repeatly using shareware that can be considered stealing.

Freeware is JUST that free.........

G535
10-20-2007, 10:46 PM
For playing movie DVDs you'll need player software, something like Power DVD and for reading DVD-RW disks you probably need packet writing software. Google for free versions of both.

3muttsandaboston
10-20-2007, 10:52 PM
I have dvd players on my computer the problem is my computer doesn't recognize dvds when I put them in.

Jessika
10-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Freeware is not stealing... freeware is software created by someone that owns the rights to that software and gives it away for free. There is no one software for every aspect of your computer... there are literally hundreds of programs that all do the same thing, some freeware, some not. Freeware is not stealing :)

I just recommend installing drivers, if not then reinstall them. If nothing else..... check your cable. You could have a bad cable (the cable that hooks the CD drive to your computer).

But from what you have described, it sounds like a driver issue. When you got your new CD/DVD ROM, did you uninstall the previous drivers for the old one? Try that, because they could be conflicting with the new drivers.

3muttsandaboston
10-20-2007, 11:08 PM
How do you uninstall the drivers?

G535
10-20-2007, 11:28 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308012

Seems to be a lot of DVD problems with XP, there are some answers in the above MS article.

I have recently installed LG DVD burners in three of my pcs and only installed the version of Nero that came with the drives, XP and Vista already had the basic drivers for the hardware.

Sirrahsim
10-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Of course freeware is free. With the legal aspects involved in decrypting a commercial dvd for viewing on a computer as they are, a freeware version of the plug-in is not available. If someone is claiming to be distributing a "freeware" version then they are ripping off the patent holders. Then again I guess it isn't any worse then stealing music by downloading it for free online..

This is an excerpt from pchell.com:
Developing and certifying a DVD decoder requires that additional licensing and royalty fees be paid to the various patentholders of DVD technology. This is why DVD decoders are not available as "free" software. Usually when you buy a DVD player for a computer it comes with DVD decoder software, but what if you bought a second-hand computer or purchased a refurbished computer and it didnt come with decoder software.

Hellow
10-21-2007, 03:20 PM
For playing movie DVDs you'll need player software, something like Power DVD and for reading DVD-RW disks you probably need packet writing software. Google for free versions of both.

Windows XP comes with its own DVD player integrated withen Windows Media Player. Go to your DVD-RW drive manufactures website and search for your dvd-rw player model. It should have drivers on the page as an link. If you could tell me that info i could do it for you if you wish.

Hellow
10-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Of course freeware is free. With the legal aspects involved in decrypting a commercial dvd for viewing on a computer as they are, a freeware version of the plug-in is not available. If someone is claiming to be distributing a "freeware" version then they are ripping off the patent holders. Then again I guess it isn't any worse then stealing music by downloading it for free online..

This is an excerpt from pchell.com:
Developing and certifying a DVD decoder requires that additional licensing and royalty fees be paid to the various patentholders of DVD technology. This is why DVD decoders are not available as "free" software. Usually when you buy a DVD player for a computer it comes with DVD decoder software, but what if you bought a second-hand computer or purchased a refurbished computer and it didnt come with decoder software.

You dont need on plug-in to decode dvd's. But you do need one to use the DVD drive. Windows media player works just fine to play DVD's. Right now i am playing Irobot in WIndows Media Player.

3muttsandaboston
10-21-2007, 04:34 PM
I can't find my model number on the paper work i'm guessing it is on the drive which would cause me to have to open my computer again. I know it is a samsung. The original i'm not sure which brand it is. But the newer is a samsung.

Jessika
10-22-2007, 01:12 AM
To uninstall/update drivers --

Go to your control panel and look for "System Properties". You should see a button that says "Device Manager" under the "Hardware" tab. This will bring up a new "Device Manager" window.

You should now see a list of devices on your computer. Search for your DVD drive or what have you. Right-click it and choose "properties". This will bring up a new window. Click the "Driver" tab. Now you have a few options. :)

Choose "update" to update the driver. It will search the internet for a newer version. If you do update it and find more errors, then you can always click "rollback driver" to revert back to the previous working driver. And uninstall obviously does as it says :)

PS: You can also find the model number of your device this way, it will show up under "Device Manager" as the make and model of your drive.

Hellow
10-23-2007, 03:08 PM
PS: You can also find the model number of your device this way, it will show up under "Device Manager" as the make and model of your drive.

Thats what i need to diagnose the problem.