PDA

View Full Version : You can save the world for only $3999! (Gap Year conservation)

Suki Wingy
10-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Ok, so I'm a hs senior and I really want to do something before I head off to college. I've been looking everywhere for an opportunity to volunteer and work out in the bush for free.

EVERYTHING I'm finding is just a pre-planned adgenda for turists cleverly disguised as a conservation effort. It's making me SO mad that all of these trips cost over $2000! I honestly just want to go live out in the bush somewhere and do something meaningful. I've even looked for reserch intern jobs in Antarctica- and had no luck! Just pricey 1 week cruises from Argentina to the tip of the continent and back.

I also looked at PBS's "House" series, because I LOVED watching Colonial House and Frontier House but I was too young to apply at the time for the latest one, Texas Ranch House, which already aired.

Does ANYONE know of a way I can get a meaningful experience like this without the ginormous pricetag??? My mom is suggesting working as a ranch hand since I don't mind hours in the saddle and I'm used to barn chores, but I was hoping for something a little more international.

Any imput is greatly appriciated.
:)

jackie
10-20-2007, 02:47 AM
To be honest, 2000 doesn't seem that much, as long as it is including your flights and accommodation.

If you are looking for 100% free, I don't think you will find anything, especially abroad.

My best friend spent a year teaching in Burkina Faso, I will ask her what organization she went through. She did have to pay to volunteer, but the organization gave her ideas about fundraising, and she paid for the trip in full that way.

sweetpatata6
10-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Have you looked at the peace corps? My friends' mom did it when she was younger and LOVED it and ever since then has wanted to go back and do it again.

Suki Wingy
10-20-2007, 08:17 PM
I guess I hadn't thought of the travel expenses, it's usually $1000 round trip to anywhere as far away as I'm looking. I forgot about the peace corps, I'll check that.

Suki Wingy
10-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Peace corps seems like something you do after college- they usually want you to be at least 21 and have had some schooling.