PDA

View Full Version : Have a kitten question...

Katjaye
10-19-2007, 05:33 PM
I wasn't sure if this should be in cat behavior or not...so, I put it here.

I have had cats almost all my life but I adopted them all or found them as strays and only occasionally got a kitten. My sweet wonderful little Puffkin does something that I am not sure if it is "normal" kitten behavior so I thought I would ask.

She does this once per day at least and it usually last for 20 min. To an hour...she gets almost frantic in her playing...her little ears cock back but aren't totally flat...her tail poofs out and the hair on her back stands up...and she attacks EVERYTHING, people, other cats, toys...whether they are moving or not...but she attacks and then is gone in nothing flat to attack something else...then she tries to climb the two brick columns we have in our entranceway...and she's totally ferocious...then she's back to her normal playful, loving self. We got her from her foster mom (she and her littermates were found and brought to a local shelter) and she was the runt of a litter of 7. She is 2 1/2 months old and has been spayed has all her shots and is de-wormed and de-flea'd.

I am unsure if this is just "normal" kitten behavior of running off excess energy or if it is something I should be concerned about. So, I thought I would ask...I have only had 2 cats since kitten hood and neither of them did this...but all cats are different and that is why I am asking. Any thoughts, advice or comments are welcomed. Thanks for your time!

Catty1
10-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Hee hee hee! Sounds like a normal nutball kitten to me!

I visited the kitten room at our local Humane one day. Well, it wasn't REALLY just a kitten room - but about eight kittens were out, ALL black, ALL between 8 - 10 weeks old! Holy Orangutan Batman! :D

They were up and down the cat tree, up and down and out and in the long plastic cat tunnel, bounce on my shoelaces and off again!

I used to work at a boarding kennel, and my boss's comment was: "They're always remembering they're supposed to be somewhere else!"

Those orangutan moments of Puffkin's are normal, by my reckoning! :)

Medusa
10-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Sounds like normal fuzz nugget behavior. :p Makes me wish I had a kitten now. I miss that kind of antics.

Fuzzybuns
10-19-2007, 05:56 PM
My cats still go through crazy cat moments...even my 9 year old. They arch their backs and hop around sideways on their toes with airplane ears and bug eyes. I can't tell when Dixie and Churchy puff up but when Toby does, he has a ridge down his back and his tail gets like he stuck a paw in a socket, lol.

They'll go after everything from the dog to invisible ghosties and sun fairies, lol.

Normalcy is all relative anyway and it sounds like Puffkin is right up their with the rest of the "normal" cats.

Freedom
10-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Oh goodness, the kitten crazies! Aren't they hilarious to watch? Quite normal for your littel one, he he. Just sit back and enjoy!

RedHedd
10-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Oh yes! The flying fluffies! Completely normal and wonderful to watch and catch pictures of for us to all aww over. Enjoy it - they don't do it as often as they get older

Katjaye
10-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Lol! Ok...I wasn't sure...so, I thought I'd check! She is hilarious when she does it! I wish she would climb the kitty tree we got her instead of the brincks...I worry she'll hurt her lil paws and nails. We do watch her...my daughter says mom you got a looney bird of a cat! Lol! OKies...i won't worry anymore then and just enjoy it. I will try to catch it on video and share it. Unfortunately, I can't take pictures or video to save my life and have to wait till my hubby gets unbusy! Lol! I'll share as soon as I get some! I plan on putting pics up too but I just got a new hard drive and haven't compied all my pics off my old one...so, I only have pics of Puffkin right now...and I wanted to be fair to all my babies and not just let Puffkin hog all the glory! Lol! Thanks again everyone!

Scooter's Mom
10-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Ask Dave if he remembers how Twinkie was, before we got Cassie Kay... Twinkie was like that too. Hyper little bouncy BITEY kitten.

Can't wait to see Puffkin in action!

Love your signature by the way... lol just like you signed all those notes we passed back in our High School days!

kitten645
10-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Ahhh the six o'clock crazies! :D My boys are seven YEARS old and do this just after I get home before dinner. Wild ones! Unfortunately , since they are rather large and clumsy, It usually winds up with calvin clearing the tabletop of everything as he skids across it...mail, magazines, keys, purse..everything! I've learned not to put breakables there...LOL..Calvin and Hobbes both shoot up all three kitty condos ocassionally knocking them over. Then it's all over and they look at me like "What?"
Claudia :rolleyes:

DJFyrewolf36
10-20-2007, 01:06 AM
Kitty crazies usually end up with stuff flying around my house! Remus and Spook are both about 3 and they get into some hilarious chase fests (well hilarious untill the couch gets knocked over, yes I did say the couch). Hoodini being about 5 months old doesn't help matters much at ALL and Onyx the thundering moron of the group tends to forget how big he is. He'll get a good runner going and knock over nightstands if we don't curb his enthusiasim :rolleyes:

I wonder WHAT it is exactly they see...is it ghosts or farries or gnomes or...? :D

DrKym
10-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Sounds like normal fuzz nugget behavior. :p Makes me wish I had a kitten now. I miss that kind of antics.

Fuzz Nugget? ROFL I love that term!

but Honestly Mary and Candace are right! sounds like normal behaviour to me too! Even the rescue kitties do that now and again. To this day Woe Kitten who is now almost a year old will do it! we call it the "Spazz Kitty Syndrome"

RICHARD
10-21-2007, 10:16 AM
You may want to put all the glass/precious breakables in a safe place until the possibility of a cat-tastrophe passes..

Or you can buy a laser pointer and "choreograph" the cat's playtime!

Katjaye
10-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Lol! We all loved the Fuzz Nugget comment too! We have stolen the term too! Lol!

We already locked up all the breakables! Lol! We do use a laser pointer too...but sometimes it's just not enough for her! I am trying to catch it on video to share! Lol! I won't let her climb the bricks though...I am seriously worried she'll hurt her paws or nails. LOL! Thanks everyone for all the advice and for letting me know not to worry!
Huggells, Squishells and Purrrssssss...

critter crazy
10-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Oh yeah definitely normal!! My kitties both do this!! It is exceptionally funny to watch my 10lb Mocha do this, as she is a Lrge one to begin with, but once she poofs up, my goodness, a monster cat!!:D

Katjaye
10-21-2007, 07:07 PM
LOL!!!! Maggie, I wanna see a picture or videos of your MONSTER cat! Sounds Hilairous!!!!

critter crazy
10-21-2007, 07:08 PM
LOL!!!! Maggie, I wanna see a picture or videos of your MONSTER cat! Sounds Hilairous!!!!
I have never been aboe to catch her on the camera! She always does this when I dont have my cam, and then of course stops once I finally get the camera!!:rolleyes: Go figure!!

Katjaye
10-21-2007, 11:33 PM
I have never been aboe to catch her on the camera! She always does this when I dont have my cam, and then of course stops once I finally get the camera!! Go figure!!

LOL! Puffkin is the same way! Which is why no one has seen a video of her in action yet either! Lol!