PDA

View Full Version : Bourke’s Parakeets

critter crazy
10-18-2007, 01:41 PM
You know you realy do learn something new everyday. I was at the petstore today, getting some bones for the dogs, and of course had to look around. I was looking at the parakeets, and in a cage next to them was a bird Labled as an "Australian Parakeet" Of course I had to scratch my head, cause well arent all parakeets australian??:confused: It was a pretty bird, looked like it was dyed pink, and slightly larger than a normal parakeet, of course the price tag was way more at $149.99. So now I am realy confused!! :confused:

I came home, and did a search on-line, and turns out it was a Bourke’s Parakeet!! i had no idea there was even such a thing!! He he he he he he!! heck i just thought the pet store just found a new way to make more cash!! Sure was pretty!

Here si a pic I found

http://www.birdchannel.com/images/species/subspecies/bourkes-parakeet.jpg

Such cool coloring!

anyway, not much point to this thread, just thought I would share.:D

Argranade
10-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes it's a bourke's parakeet,

They also look very much like red rump parakeets.

There very beautiful and come in so many colours.

Make great pets too! :D

DrKym
10-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Bourkes are a very pretty bird and sexually dimorphic, I am surprised to see them in a pet store as not many stores carry them.

They can make great pets , have a tendency to be loud an bit nippier than other keets (except for Quakers which are nippier). Not all parakeets are australian but most are.

Red rumps are a completely different bird, but can also make an engaging companion.

Chilli
10-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Aww, I've always found Bourke's to be so cute!
Its neat that you got to see one, Indie's breeder had a few for sale when I picked her up. I've never seen any in a petstore before, though.
Originally, I had planned to get one instead of an IRN.. funny how things change. :)