PDA

View Full Version : Take or Leave Them: Help??? (Oh My God #15, Update #25) (& Pictures #28!)

sandragonfly
10-18-2007, 08:38 AM
ok, I usually know by heart about what I should do with situations, etc. but in this case, I need your help!

well, for how close I could have been killed by a train last summer not listening to crayola's alert carefully (crayola is my hearing dog in case you didn't know) so just recently we was walking out - heading out for the meeting now - crayola flicked turned his head. then twice. (usually he'd look back where to walk but he sticked his head over there as we walk) I stopped, looked and couldn't see anything then waited and see if he heard anything more... his ears kept getting up, down, up and down.. yep so we turned the direction, had him led me to the sound and saw two wiggling kittens under tree, behind the raggy bushes!

oh my sweet mother they're sooo LITTLE, just like the peanuts - their eyes are closed and their mommy was nowhere to be - that bothers me uncomfortably. while we was waiting for my friend to come down, I was hoping since we got so close to them, the mother would jump out somewhere... nope.

the problem? I SEE they're alone and it has been raining lately .. if it's gonna pour at some time soon, I would imagine them drowning in the puddles. :( but I don't really want to infer because their mother may be around looking for food for them?? oh I don't know.

so I left them alone for now in case the mom comes back, your suggestion?? leave them or take them in? I'll keep checking on them as much as I can when I get back of course!

Pawsitive Thinking
10-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Tricky one.

If there is no sign of the mother I would be inclined to take the kittens in so they can be fed and kept warm. I would then keep going back to where they were found just in case Momma returns

catmandu
10-18-2007, 09:56 AM
That Is Tough , But I Would Take Them In In Case That Thier Mamma Has Had Something Happen To Her , As Kittens Can Lose Thier Body Heat Very Quickly, And Are So Vulnerable At That Young Age.
We Are All Wating To Hear How Those Little Ones Are.

sandragonfly
10-18-2007, 10:23 AM
the other thing worries me, they're half way to the street... especially the way I saw them, crawling facing it. I wonder if the mommy had dropped them while carrying and running off? well, we have a huge back yard and we'll be heading home soon, around a bit after noon so we should get there in time before them.

the very first few days I arrived back here from california (very beginning of september), I did spotted a black/white (stray or an outdoor?) cat to near where I saw the kittens today, but then I've not seen her around after that.. I thought shouldn't the kittens be a bit bigger (60 days cycle) or should there be more than two? because she was pretty huge at that time I saw her. and one is black/white like her... oh. :( I sure hope the mother is okay.

Medusa
10-18-2007, 10:30 AM
I'd take them in and keep checking back for Mom. If she left them there, she'll come back for them and maybe you can get her, too, and have her spayed so that this doesn't happen again. Good luck, girl. We're rootin' for ya.

Catty1
10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Is there a rescue with a volunteer who can bottle-feed the babies? If you can do it too, you might want to bring them in and at least get them warm..especially if they are crawling by themselves.

HUGS!

Taz_Zoee
10-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Good Boy Crayola!
I agree, bring them in and save their little lives.
I hope the mama kitty is okay. :(

shais_mom
10-18-2007, 03:20 PM
:confused: i have no idea if you are still on crutches or not but with me being on crutches for the last 9 weeks I can't hardly carry my purse let alone catch a wily kitten. If you can catch them, at least take them to a shelter or a cat rescue, with all your problems lately, you do not need to add to your troubles, physically or financially. :confused:
And I'm thinking of all your animals not just trying to be difficult.

sandragonfly
10-18-2007, 03:23 PM
I've been checking them constantly, they're right out of my back window (2nd floor). I saw a big grey tabby across the street pretty far away when we got home about an hour late - not sure if it's the mother or father.. never have seen that cat before.

if I don't see her by tonight with her kids before dark (a couple more hours), I will take them in! at least it has been sunshinning all afternoon, they're still in the same spot.

will keep you updated..

edit ~ we posted at the same time. I am only on one crutch now and I don't see why that really matters. the kittens seem only to be about a week old and are beyond faraway from wild yet. however yeah, I'm already tight in budget (ophraned sugar glider and locke to the vets and my new lease all in few days) but it's too cold here at nights and I just can't leave them like this. I am sure I can find a way, always have.

sandragonfly
10-18-2007, 04:10 PM
they're not the "troubles" to me, but the little "flowers" who will keep me busy! :D only if I take them in.

I forgot to say, I have had done bottle peanuts before and it's not too hard.. especially I have no schedule right now. :)

shais_mom
10-18-2007, 04:33 PM
[color=slateblue]edit ~ we posted at the same time. I am only on one crutch now and I don't see why that really matters. [color]
I didn't realize they were only that old, I thought they were older as I'm picturing trying to chase them down the street on crutches. Why does that matter? You must be more adapt at chasing things than I am b/c as I said I can barely carry my purse around my neck let alone carry a squirming animal! :eek:
I'd rather be on 2 crutches than one - I couldn't get the hang of that at all.

Catty1
10-18-2007, 04:45 PM
"bottle peanuts" :D That is SO cute!

If they are staying in the same place, maybe momma left them there...she might not come back til night time...but you'd think they have to be nursed pretty often.

Tough call - I'd say take them in if you can, see if another shelter can foster them...if the momcat shows up, you will HEAR her calling for her kittens! I hope she is tame enough to pick up and bring to her babies.

The place you are staying - does your friend have a large dog kennel or something to keep them in?

Good luck! :)

moosmom
10-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Gina,

I'd take them in. There are way too many predators out there. If the mama sees you she's liable to move them fearing they'll be in danger. Then you'll never find them.

Good luck.

jackie
10-18-2007, 05:36 PM
When you check on them, are you always taking Crayola out with you?

He might be scaring momma cat off.

sandragonfly
10-18-2007, 10:47 PM
you're not gonna believe what I'm going to write..

ok, I was napping.. about 40 minutes later, I woke up to see how dark it is but guess I wasn't quite in my mind; very tired. then I looked over my body barely realizing I saw nobody, not a cat. :confused: it was just odd, usually I'd have at least one cat on me AND one around in the room too. again, my fuzzy mind so I thought to go back sleep for another five minutes. crayola was by me and had his ears perked up very little - means not something so alert but...

forget it! I went downstairs and see what the kids were UP to.. I walked down and saw almost all of my cats straggling over something in the center. I walked in, bended over ... :eek: :eek: it was one of kitties I saw wiggling right there!! (the all black one).

HOW THE HECK DID IT GET IN HERE???!? I picked it up quickly before she (appears to be a girl) gets hurt and while my mind was blogging, checking the windows, I saw zephyra coming down the stairs all wet and webbed scruffing in the another one! I gently removed him (seems to be a boy) from her mouth and ran upstairs - there was a tiny window up in attic we forgot to fix and close! well, my heartcat zephyra is soo small, a petite - tiny enough to go through that window crack anyway! now guess who made the decision for me! :rolleyes:

I was so amazed and am still antonished by this... I walked outside to figure how in the world did she climbed down and back up with the babies! she must have heard them crying and went for them. :( (but that's my girl!!) I then realized they're in my hands crrrying and wigggling :o I ran over to the store and got an emergency kit (KMRmix). they ate pretty well - it was hard to get the (black/white) boy to eat! and are sleeping snuggly right now in a cozy shoebox.

oh boy.. I'm proud of my little girl and of my boy crayola!! :D how I love their instincts.. I'm glad crayola told me earlier or else I'd have an heart attack seeing two wiggling little peanuts out of nowhere. :o :p I'm so proud of them!! they will for sure get a lot of treats. :)

excuse me while I breath this out... and will be back with more details on them.

Scooter's Mom
10-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Truly amazing kitty you have, Gina! May God watch over your new little peanuts... please keep us updated.

Hugs,
Crystal

Catty1
10-19-2007, 12:19 AM
WOW! I can imagine your astonishment!

What a sweet little Zephyra you have. :)

I am glad they ate well, and I pray they will continue to thrive, as long as they are warm.

Has Zephyra shown any signs of wanting to mother and cuddle them?

I know you just moved and all...but hopefully you can take some pics!

{{{hugs}}} Give Zephyra some treats and scritchies for me!

Taz_Zoee
10-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Wow, Zephrya is an amazing little girl. That must be nice that she made up your mind for you. Obviously the mama cat had not come back. That makes me worry even more about her.

G535
10-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Somebody may have just dumped the kittens, mother cat might not have been there at all. Glad they have a safe place to stay.

Medusa
10-19-2007, 05:42 AM
There's no way they could be Zephyra's kittens, could they? This is just a fantastic story and I'm so glad that the kittens are safe.

K & L
10-19-2007, 06:13 AM
What an amazing story. You've got one special cat there!

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Perfect!!! She made the decision for meowmie!!

* PICS !!! * (please :D )

smokey the elder
10-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Well, I guess that settles that! Your critters took matters into their own hands!

moosmom
10-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Good girl Zephyra!!

Gina,

If you have one, put a towel around a heating pad (set it on low) and put it underneath the babies so they stay warm.

You're gonna have your hands full, girl. Babies that tiny need to be fed every 2 hours and they need to be stimulated to potty.

Good luck.

sandragonfly
10-19-2007, 09:57 AM
wow.. I never got to sleep at all this morning! *yawns*....up, rest, up, rest, up every one or other hour .. I don't like naps but I now understand why I had one last night. ;)

has zephyra shown any signs of wanting to mother and cuddle them?
oh YES...absolutely. this is why it was hard to feed the boy - everytime he bawls his lungs out (way much more than the girl), zephyra runs up, frantically pawing and trying to scruff-rescue it from my hands...:rolleyes: there was at one point where I'd let her take him because I wanted to see where she'd put it.. she ran back upstairs (to my room where she came through the attic) and running around to and from every corner to other in a loop thrice, didn't really know where to put him down :( then onto my bed! layers of quilts, right by the pillow and flopped down, started licking, cuddling trying to nurse...I feel so bad. so I had to bottle-feed them IN bathroom! and finish.. poor my girl.

zephyra and two other cats sticked by the door all night...aww. she won't and didn't sleep with me last night as usual, I miss her! but now they're right next to me, I've found a bigger box so they all could cuddle in! and purring up a storm. better than the ziplocks, right?

there's no way they could be zephyra's kittens, could they?
nope, not at all and in fact, they have two mommies, one uncle and an aunt. :D

moosmom, there's no electricity up here so I've had ziplocks re-filled with warm water every 3 - 4 hours as keeping them warm is critical. we don't want any FKS. (fatal kitten sydrome - undeveloped organs from coldness). there's also a fuzzy stuffed animal in the box when needed, a fuzzy froggy (only one I have that has leggies!) crayola's willing to share. :cool:

ok, more details on them - I assume they are about 7-9 days old as they're THIS small.. eyes and ears still closed, no teeth yet. the girl's bellybutton is still harden and the boy had a little umbilical cord left.

the girl LOVES to eat...seems to be a bit bigger than her brother and they both've been suckling well and grunted their littlest logs out. :D (stimulated with warm moisty cottonballs). I can't get over how little their (plastic) claws are .. I am used to clip 188 large crunchy claws biweekly!

anyway, while you wait for pictures, I'll try my best describing them.. sorry. :D

the girl .... totally all smoky black. she was infected with fleas. :( (I've just bathed them gently to see fleas better, they were covered with dampy soil clumps! and now are muchmuch cleaner now poor dears.) this girl seems to have a butterfly pattern, hard to see.

the boy .... overall black, has a white river starting from his forehead? muzzle? all way down to tummy, has white paws in front but white legs in back. oh! he also has a little spockle on his right nose. no patterns.

oh yeah and, the girl has black paws, the boy has white (pinky) paws. :D pictures coming soon. :)

Pawla
10-19-2007, 10:45 AM
OH I CAN'T WAIT...PICTURES :D !!! I do hope they will be okay. You have one special kitty! My girl probably would have NEVER done what yours did :rolleyes: .

kimlovescats
10-19-2007, 12:21 PM
WOW, what an amazing rescue by your pets, Gina! I'm so glad those babies are inside now where you can give them a fighting chance at life!!! I pray that they will continue to thrive for you! I know it's a long shot, but if you could maybe find (through a vet) another nursing mother cat around that might take them in to feed? That would sure help you out a bunch and also give them the immunities that come from a momcat's milk!

Good luck and keep us updated on the little peanuts! :D

Kim

sandragonfly
10-19-2007, 01:50 PM
the little fiesty black girl ..
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t88/americadroplets/DSCF2854.jpg

I want to turn around and see the world!!
she sure is a little fighter. :eek:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t88/americadroplets/DSCF2856.jpg
(aboves, you can see her reddish skin) :[

the sweet white boy .. and he fall asleep like that awww...
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t88/americadroplets/DSCF2848.jpg

a better view of him - here, you can see his umbilicalore.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t88/americadroplets/DSCF2851.jpg

and together, sooo little that both fit in my hand!
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t88/americadroplets/DSCF2842.jpg

and . . . .

my little special amazing girl! :D
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t88/americadroplets/DSCF2586.jpg
she gave me that look all morning - hey, gimme them back. :p and wouldn't come on me until she sees them. oh she's just a clever little girl and I love her to pieces! :)

Medusa
10-19-2007, 01:58 PM
OMG! You truly do have your hands full literally! They're so adorable and I'm so thankful that you and your special little sweetie pie are taking such good care of them. I love you both!

critter crazy
10-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Awwww....how cute!! great job zephyra and Gina!!:D

smokey the elder
10-19-2007, 02:16 PM
I think those kittens are between 5 and 7 days old. Good luck with them!

Catty1
10-19-2007, 02:21 PM
I am glad Zephyra is keeping them warm...and they are eating well!

Is she grooming them too? To help them potty? Or is that Aunti Gina's job? (Zephyra KNOWS she is the mom! LOL)

If there is a store nearby where you get the supplies for them, see if they will set up an account that a few dollars could be donated to. If they have PayPal, so much the better.

They are so cute! I hope they make it. Seems they will! :)

cassiesmom
10-19-2007, 02:27 PM
If there is a store nearby where you get the supplies for them, see if they will set up an account that a few dollars could be donated to. If they have PayPal, so much the better. -- Catty1
just me know, today is pay day :) YAY for Gina, Crayola and Zephyra and a gentle yay for the tiny baby kittens too! I wonder where their mom-cat is? Maybe something happened to her :-(

jennielynn1970
10-19-2007, 03:08 PM
oh my goodness, they are soooo tiny!!! I hope they keep doing well and will grow up to be big and strong! Keep us updated! :)

sandragonfly
10-19-2007, 03:31 PM
oh wow, things are getting better!! :D read on..

about an hour ago, I was downstairs (little peanuts are upstairs with zephyra and whispers), preparing thatcher (the sugar glider's) food for tonight and guess what I saw right by my foot when I felt a crawl?? whispers brought the girl down, dropped her on the floor right by my foot then looked up at me - feed her now please! :eek: :eek: wow. all is soo good here! they must have KNOW they have their deaf meowmie. :D I'm still amazed and couldn't get any more proud... :D :D :D maybe I can get a video of it if I see that again.

I think those kittens are between 5 and 7 days old. Good luck with them!
yeah probably..I just looked up online, wanted to be sure - they say umbilical cords are usually cut off around fifth day and the girl's is already, so. and thank you!

If there is a store nearby where you get the supplies for them, see if they will set up an account that a few dollars could be donated to. If they have PayPal, so much the better.
that's sweet of you offering. I think we have enough supplies for now, not really sure where the good store would be anyway. but I'm more concerned with vet visits in order for them soon in future (to have them dewormed, physically checked, etc.), maybe you (and cassiesmom) can help with that later. then I'll set up a paypal account. I thought of this fun idea this morning, if everyone could donate as much as $2 (the # charms of the kitties!), catnips, mice, little blankets or whatever in mail - to the little peanuts - just for them! they will feel more special that way. :D but I can understand that it's not the best direct you want and everyone may be under financial stress but if anyone would like to, be sure to post it so we can keep a record. I just thought it'll be fun getting things in mail. :) thanks both.

I wonder where their mom-cat is? Maybe something happened to her :-(
I've been looking outside, never saw any other cat.. so sad. I am keep looking on for her! I really want her to be fixed.

oh my goodness, they are soooo tiny!!!
yes!! like I told you!

krazyaboutkatz
10-20-2007, 12:33 AM
They sure a widdle kitties and look so cute. I hope that they'll continue to thrive in your care.:) You sure have some very wonderful furkid helpers there.:)

kitten645
10-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Wow your furkids are amazing!! The peanuts are so tiny. This sounds like a great human interest story. I bet if you called a local paper and they ran an article, you'd get donations right left and center!!
Claudia

momcat
10-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Zephyra is one special, outstanding and remarkable kitty girl for "adopting" those sweet little peanuts! She definitely deserves lots of extra special treats and lovies for helping such tiny little newborns. What a wonderful story.

And bless you for saving these little ones. Now they have a real chance to be some lucky person's loving and loyal companions. How sad that their mommy is nowhere to be seen.

Please keep us updated on their progress? Will you keep them? The peanuts are and will remain in my prayers. Could I ask you to give your sweet Zephyra lots and lots of scritchies, tummy rubs and smoochies from me?

Catty1
10-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Gina, I don't know how you feel about kitten645's suggestion about a human interest story on the peanuts. 1. Maybe someone will know what happened to the mom, 2. It's a chance to educate people on another type of service doggy that they may not know about (and Crayola would love the camera!).

If you know the vet they will be going to, maybe donations could be sent there. Something to think about. If you want to be anonymous, they can take photos from the back, or something.

HUGS and in a few days the peanuts will have their eyes open! :)

catmandu
10-20-2007, 04:09 PM
That Has To Be The Heart Warming Story Of The Year And If You Need Toys For Them I Will Call The Animal Welfare And Put An Order If , Not Just For The Kittens But Zephyra Too.
There Must Be Somethimg About Black Cats As Tubby Angel Went Out In The Rain And Cold And Brought Home The Runaway Pouncierge!!
Momma Pet Angels Are There To Help Out With Those Little Ones.

phesina
10-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Oh, such beautiful infants.. and you, Gina, and Zephyra and Whispers taking such good care of them.. God bless you all.

Love from Pat and cats

sandragonfly
10-22-2007, 03:44 PM
oh my......they're growing and growing and growing! they make sure they voice their requests out of their little lungs very well, probably about every other three hours or so then all is quiet in the next second LOL. we're going outside soon (it's beautiful outside!!) and will do some little photoshooting. :D

Please keep us updated on their progress? Will you keep them?we definitely will update you all. and we absolutely will keep them!! I already see a big "F" on my (fostering) test.. a big failure! :D really, the way we had found them, I can't imagine I can divide away from these special flowers, my blossoming peanuts. :(

catty, yeah, I am thinking about it!! thanks kitten645! :) I will let you guys know.. candace, I missed your questions earlier - zephyra AND whispers are the mommies too! I do the bottles, zephyra does the grooming and potties, and whispers does the calling 'feed-time now!', watches/guards them and grooms them too; at least they're willing to share their duties - I wish I could do more lol!

catmandu - we would love to have some more, we still have your two catnip mice alive from last year! and the mice are starting to worn out... all of my cats are too sweet to destroy them instantly. :p

thank you everyone!! zephyra of course had TONS of proud smooches, stritches and snuggles from me but I will also give her yours too! and some to crayola and whispers as well. :)

Reachoutrescue
10-23-2007, 09:01 AM
I am so glad that the "peanuts" are doing well. They both are adorable and I commend Crayola and Zephyra for assisting...or actually completing the rescue of those tiny wonders. I sure hope the mama is some place dry, warm, and safe. The sad reality may not be good though. Thank you for being a great foster meowmie to you and your kitties! Can't wait to watch them grow!