PDA

View Full Version : My puppy, 3 months old, questions

Kaiko
10-18-2007, 12:17 AM
My new puppy is now 3 months old. The potty training is tottering from bad, to ok, to pretty darn decent. I made the mistake of using potty pads instead of just encouraging outdoor use. Now when we go outside, its all play for him. Then when he comes back inside he does his business.

But thats not my main worry. Being in college and both my parents working full time, we can't always watch our puppy. I love my little puppy to death and want him to be happy always. But recently my parents decided he should start living outdoors. I know dogs are pack animals, and they wish to stay with people, but it doesn't seem like its going to work that way.

I want to help his transition into the outdoors as best as I can. I want him to be happy outside. I've bought him a couple new toys, chewy items, etc. He enjoys being outside for the most part, but he wants to be with us, obviously. I just want him happy. So, any suggestions?

http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0916071841ll5.jpg

Giselle
10-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Keep him inside. If this is your puppy, if you chose him, if you paid for him, it's your decision. You may have to debate a little with your parents, but what is there to argue about, really? If your puppy sleeps indoors, he should be in a crate. If you all are working, he should be crated. And if you all work at the same time for extended hours, put him in day care or with a friend. Don't leave him outside, especially not at 3 months. Not only is he at risk of escaping, but he's also at risk of being stolen and being a cute puppy is not playing in his favor.

Also, if you need tips with the potty training, we're more than happy to help :)

Danegirl2208
10-19-2007, 02:41 AM
how long will the pup be alone?

pitc9
10-19-2007, 08:40 AM
A 3 month old puppy should not live outside alone.

(but then again IMO NO dog should live outside)

I think it would be in the puppy’s best interest to find him another home where he will be properly taken care of. Puppies are cute but they are also a lot of responsibility and hard work some people don't realize it.

joycenalex
10-19-2007, 08:20 PM
crate training. raising a puppy is very much like caring for a newborn, it's a high intensity job/duty. alex the wonder dog was crated while i was at work, i came home during lunch for a midday potty break/lunch. then when i was at home, he was wearing his harness and leash with one end clipped to my jean loop, so he was with me, and i could supervise him at almost all times.i would take him outside every 2 or so hours, after every meal and right after he woke up from a nap. he slept in my room at night in a dog bed. creating and training a wonderful dog takes time and committment from the humans in the dogs life. if you and your parents realize that it's not what you all can do now, then giving the puppy a better home is the best for all concerned. i am saying/writing this in neurtal, non judgemental tone, please don't hear/read it as a judgment, it's not. kindest regards, joyce