PDA

View Full Version : Spook Update November 30, # 62

Soapets
10-17-2007, 07:13 PM
I brought a little black kitten home from work with me today. A co-worker's relative had found this little kitten by a road somewhere, and had taken it in briefly. But there was a little girl in their house who is very allergic to cats, so they couldn't keep it. The coworker knows how soft-hearted I am when it comes to widdle baby kitty-cats, so when she told me about it I told her I would bring it home with me and either take it to the Humane Society to be adopted out, or find a good home for it myself. It has a cyst or abcess or something on it's right eye. But it doesn't seem to be in pain. We think it's a girl but aren't certain about that yet. It is black and it's front paws look like mittens! It is absolutely adorable!

I took it to the Humane Society tonight but they were getting ready to close and didn't have anyone who could really do much with it tonight, so I said I'd bring it home and take care of it overnight, and take it back to the Humane Society tomorrow afternoon. I have to work in the morning tomorrow, but have the afternoon off.

So I brought little "Spook" (or "Mittens"?) home with me, and fed it (it ate like a little piggy!) and it is sleeping now. My other fur-babies (cats Dottie, Little Orphan Annie, Shadow, and Angel, as well as dogs Sandi and Oreo) are OK with it so far. There have been a few hisses and growls, but nothing too bad and I'm not letting this little one out of the large carrier it is in unless/until I know it doesn't have anything that can spread to my other babies.

I'll take some pictures in a little while, and try to get them uploaded and posted. Right now I'm letting the little one sleep!

It's good to be back---I haven't been on here for awhile.....................

Deb

moosmom
10-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Soapets,

Welcome back!!!

Your little foster kitty sounds adorable and so lucky to have found you!!

Don't worry about the other critters, a little kitten is very easy to incorporate into a household of pets. I took in little Alicat from a rescue organization in Rhode Island. She was 12 weeks when I got her and my cats are fine with her. They let her know when they don't want to be bothered. She's adjusted very well.

Good luck!! Please show us pictures when you can. And keep us posted on her progress. We love happy endings!!

Freedom
10-17-2007, 07:30 PM
You are probably doing right keeping the kitten separated until it is tested for FIV / FeLV, and maybe a few other things. Plus, she is safer that way and able to rest better without hiding and being on alert with so many new roomies!

Hope someone can see to that eye soon!

Photos and updates, please!

Soapets
10-17-2007, 07:54 PM
"Spook" was taken to the Vet. by the people who had him, and he's on some Amoxil orally, as well as some eye drops. They gave me the medications to bring home with me to keep giving to him. (I'm going to refer to it as a "he" or "her" for now, even though I'm not 100% certain. "It" just doesn't seem right!) He probably has worms, according to the person I spoke with at the Humane Society. His belly is pretty round and "full". But he's curious and alert playing and eating and sleeping fine. He hasn't gone poop or potty yet that I'm aware of. I used a warm moist cotton ball to try to stimulate something in that respect after he ate, but he didn't do anything. I'll watch him tonight and try it again when I feed him after while. He is eating canned food, so I don't have to bottle feed him, either. (He put his cute little mitten-toed feet into his food bowl the first time he licked it clean, looking for more food!)

Since he's black and it's almost Halloween, I thought "Spook" would be a good name for him (or her) for now. "Mittens" would be better if his paws were white, but they're black just like the rest of him. He has mitten toes, though, so when he stretches out his front feet they look like mittens with the little thumbs in them.

I guess that's about all for now. I'll post some pictures of him tomorrow at the latest..................

Deb

cassiesmom
10-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Soapets! Welcome back! How small is the kitten, by the way? I wonder how she got separated from her mom? Best wishes, widdle kitty!

Medusa
10-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Aw, she sounds like such a cutie. And I'm glad you rescued her during this Halloween season when bad things can happen to black cats. Yay for you and Spook!

krazyaboutkatz
10-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Welcome back.:) Spook sure sounds adorable and I'm glad that you're able to care for her.:) I hope that she'll get well soon and that she'll be able to find a wonderful loving home soon. Good luck.:)

Soapets
10-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I decided to take Spook to the Vet. today before taking him to the Humane Society. I just had a feeling that the Humane Society wouldn't want to pay for his medical bill regarding his right eye. I am glad I took him to the Vet.

First of all, we found out for sure that HE IS A BOY. So now I can refer to him properly and accuratly, rather than calling him a "she" or "her" or "it"! He is 6-7 weeks old, and weighs a pound and a half.

Second, his right eye is really bad. He has a descemetocele (? spelling), which means a really bad corneal ulcer that has perforated through most of the cornea and is at high risk for rupturing. Luckily he was on an oral antibiotic as well as antibiotic eye drops, so there is no infection present.
He will undergo surgery to have his right eye removed tomorrow morning. We should be able to pick him up tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning.

Third, he has fleas! So I'm glad I didn't let him out of the kennel (much) while he was here last night, and that I put newspapers under the kennel and our other pets didn't get very close to him. But I'm treating our other pets, as well as our carpeting and furniture anyway, just to be on the safe side. I DID have him out a few times, just very briefly, to give him his medicine and eye drops and a hug or two............ But he didn't get to get down on the floor, or onto the furniture, etc. I or my husband held him the entire time he was out of the carrier/kennel.

Fourth, he has roundworm. So he is being treated for that, too.

The Vet. is only charging us $196.00 total for everything they are doing for him, and she isn't charging for the overnight stay. They are keeping him there overnight tonight and he will have surgery first thing tomorrow morning. She will call me at work after the surgery to let me know how everything went. I know I will be anxiously awaiting her call! I called my coworker to update her on what is going on, and she said she'll help pay for his care. I paid $100.00 today, and she said she'd pay me $100.00 when I see her on Monday. So the cost has been covered, and we are very thankful that things are working out the way they are!

I called the Humane Society and spoke to one of the gals I talked with last night when I took Spook there then. I told her what was going on, and that we would cover the costs now to get him healthy, and once he's recovered enough we'll turn him over to them to adopt out. They, as well as the Vet., said he will be very adoptable, as "special" kitties like he is are usually easier to adopt out than perfectly healthy kitties, etc.

NOW I just informed my husband of all of this, and he said it's all fine with him! He's working nights now so was sleeping earlier today when I went and did all of this and made the decision to cover the cost of treatment, etc., without consulting him first. THANK GOD he is as soft-hearted as I am when it comes to these little fur babies!

NOW my husband JUST said that he wants to make sure that if Spook isn't adopted out, and the Humane Society reaches the point where they will euthanize him because nobody has adopted him, he wants them to call us to come and get him, and we'll take him instead!

I absolutely LOVE and ADORE my husband!!!!

critter crazy
10-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Awwww.....you are so good for taking care of that special little boy! I sure hope he makes out okay, and is adopted!! Your hubby sounds very sweet for offering to adopt him, if the shelter dosent find a home. Great job!!:D

Catty1
10-18-2007, 05:07 PM
AWWW! is Winky/Spook being neutered at the same time - or do they figure that's too much for the widdle guy?

Thank God he was on antibiotics...that eye could really have caused major damage.

Prayers that he comes thru ok!

What's he like - a cuddler? Feisty? Quiet?

Looking forward to pics! :)

Soapets
10-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Hey Catty1, he's FEISTY and energetic and playful and curious. He HATES being locked up---sticks his front arms out through the kennel cage, bites at the cage, frantically paws at it to try to get out. Once out, he just wants to explore and play and have fun!

I didn't ask about neutering yet, but I don't know if it would be possible yet or not. His testicles are so small (SORRY SPOOK---don't mean to embarass you or anything here, but you ARE just a little tiny baby yet...) that I couldn't even tell if he is a boy or girl. The Vet. had to look very, very closely to determine that he is a little boy.

I'm going to go work on uploading some photos from last night and from this afternoon........................

Medusa
10-18-2007, 05:54 PM
It's a good thing you got Spook when you did. How lucky for him! I'm so glad that your husband feels the way he does. Care to bet money that you'll both end up falling so head over heels that you'll keep him regardless? ;) Thanx for the update and for taking such good care of Spook and giving him a chance.

catmandu
10-18-2007, 06:05 PM
The Lucky Found Cat Angels Are Heering Because Come What May, Spook Is Getting A Great Home , And All Will Be Well For That Little Starry.
The Tubby Angels Are There Tonight To Keep Thier Little Friend Warm And Comfortable.
And Theres Another Gold Star By Your Name At The Rainbow Bridge For Saving A Life, Bless You And Your Husband.

Freedom
10-18-2007, 07:02 PM
How wonderful that things have worked out for Spook!

I know many shelters refuse to adopt out black kitties around Halloween; for the cats' own safety. Would he be sitting in a cage at the Humane Society, or could you foster him? ;)

So glad to hear that the eye will be alright!

moosmom
10-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Soapets,

Your husband sounds like a real gem!!

Why not just skip the HS and keep Spook??? Black cats are not as easily adoptable as other ones. Superstition has alot to do with it. There's a reason he came into your life. Think about it! ;)

Soapets
10-18-2007, 08:52 PM
OK, I'm going to see if I can remember how to do this:

Here is a picture of Spook taken yesterday evening, showing his right eye:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p8eed42a68f4686bc3c95f4d866842571/e78ded3d.jpg

A picture that shows his "mitten toe":
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pac691d67d733ebe59faff915477fa747/e78de9d2.jpg

Another picture of him from yesterday:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pcead2453c2196336b41455acf430ef6c/e78deab9.jpg

Picture of Annie looking in at Spook yesterday:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p1d07606b93ad5837d0e2fdeac5a52997/e78dd19d.jpg

Photo of Spook next to my shoe at the Vet's (for size comparison):
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p8bddc2d4df13003719cc0869e38a51e3/e78dd242.jpg

Spook exploring at the Vet's office, by the door:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p422086b624c94057e74e32b124dfd8fa/e78dd4d7.jpg

We will "foster" him for awhile yet after his surgery tomorrow---for sure until after Halloween. When we do turn him over to the Humane Society, we will ask that we be allowed to keep him at home with us unless/until they get someone who is interested specifically in him. They can put an ad out for him, and call us to have us bring him there to meet his prospective family if/when anyone shows interest.

I HAVE been thinking a lot of just skipping the Humane Society all together and keeping him. We already have four cats and two dogs---what's one more? But I'm afraid that if we DO keep him, I won't get any more foster kittens in the future, because I keep FAILING at fostering! I already have three cats that started out as "fosters" for the Humane Society, and I know that if I want to be able to successfully foster kittens, I have to learn to let them go. There's no way we could keep all of them.

Adopting Spook might prevent us from helping another kitten sometime down the road. If I can learn to give them up to adoption to other homes, I will be able to help a lot more of them over time. But if it comes down to having him euthanized because nobody else wants him, we would definitely keep him.

I think that whatever is supposed to work out WILL work out, so we'll just wait and see what happens for now!

cassiesmom
10-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Awwwww, widdle Spook! Your poor eye. I'm glad it is not painful. Since he's having it removed at such a young age, I wonder if he will just adapt to not having it over the course of his life. I love the picture of him exploring at the doctor's office. What a tiny cutie.

Catty1
10-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I am just curious - what causes an ulcerated cornea, did the vet say?

I am sure the little one won't miss his eye...but it is a shame to lose it.

He will need major cuteness warnings whatever happens! :D

Soapets
10-18-2007, 10:20 PM
I work for an eye doctor, and humans who get corneal ulcers usually get them from some type of infection---bacterial or fungal. They can happen if there is a scratch or abrasion to the eye that gets bacteria or a fungus in it, or in humans, sometimes contact lenses and/or solution can contribute to them. We had a patient who lost an eye last year due to a fungal corneal ulcer. They are NASTY. In the early stages, it would have been very painful for Spook. But they can reach a point where the nerve endings in that area are dead, so nothing is felt. That's one of the things that bothered me about Spook when I first saw his eye. He didn't appear to be suffering any pain from it, and that's usually when it's pretty far along. I was expecting the Vet. to say the eye needed to be removed.

I was also expecting the cost to be a lot greater than she is charging for it. That's why I wanted to have the Vet. look at him before I took him to the Humane Society. I wanted to hear what a Vet. had to say about the eye, and the prognosis, and the cost, so that if the Humane Society said they would have to euthanize him, I would be able to tell them what the Vet. had said, etc.

The $196 she is charging covers the surgery and anesthesia, today's initial office visit, Spook's first feline leukemia virus shot, the fecal exam for worms, the flea treatment, the roundworm treatment, nail clipping, etc. And I didn't call ahead to make an appointment---I just went there and walked in. She isn't charging emergency charges, which add to the cost and which she would have every right to charge because of the urgency of the situation, if she wanted to. She said he's real close to having it rupture. THAT would be a lot worse than it already is. I think she gave us a price break because he is a stray and we aren't planning on keeping him at this time---we just want to do whatever it takes to give him a good chance of finding a furever home.

Anyway, remember the Vet. in your prayers---appreciation for her and her obvious love for the most vulnerable creatures that are brought to her!

Catty1
10-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Prayers for that wonderful vet who loves animals, and gives them and their 'people' a break. :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-19-2007, 12:25 AM
I sure hope that Spook's eye surgery goes well. His eye sure looks bad.:( I'm so glad that you took him to your vet asap. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Katjaye
10-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Spook is truly blessed! What a cute lil guy he is! Me and my hubby were ohhing and awwing over him tonight. It's too bad about his eye but such a wonderful thing that he fell into your wonderful hands!!!

Pawla
10-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Poor baby! :( What a wonderful vet that woman is! God Bless Her & YOU! Please keep us updated.

kuhio98
10-19-2007, 11:00 AM
I hope you decide to skip the shelter all together and keep him. Do you have a good working relationship with the shelter?

I thought I did with ours. I once took a kitty there and made sure all the paperwork said that if he wasn't adopted, they were to call me before euthanizing. They didn't call! They said it was a "clerical error". A kitten was needlessly put to sleep. If I had to do it all over again...........

sandragonfly
10-19-2007, 11:22 AM
We already have four cats and two dogs---what's one more? But I'm afraid that if we DO keep him, I won't get any more foster kittens in the future, because I keep FAILING at fostering! I already have three cats that started out as "fosters" for the Humane Society, and I know that if I want to be able to successfully foster kittens, I have to learn to let them go. There's no way we could keep all of them.
I can RELATE.... you're not the only one. :D my little girl just brough in two little peanuts last night! maybe that's different but I already am up to 13... plus a dog, and sugar gliders and chinchilla, and and.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hey, mittens is a better name.. he does not looks as spooky as he is. ;) he's so cute and I can tell he'll be so handsome ever after his surgery. hope all will go smoothly! give kisses to your little fella for me please ~ ((mwahies mwahies)).

good luck!! :)

kimlovescats
10-19-2007, 12:32 PM
What a wonderful thing you and your vet are doing for this little baby boy! He most likely had a severe herpes virus in his eyes from birth. It happens often and it can get this bad when not treated right away! The good news though is that he was found and you, your vet and friend are taking excellent care of him!

Foster failure? Hmmm.... what's that? :rolleyes: :p

Kim

Soapets
10-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Spook's surgery to remove the right eye was done as scheduled today. The Vet's office called me a little after 11:00 a.m. to tell me they were just starting the surgery, and that the Vet. would call me afterwards to let me know how things went.

I was on pins and needles all morning, thinking the surgery was being done earlier, not knowing for sure, dying to pick up the phone and call the Vet's office, etc. After the call around 11:00 I was at least finally aware of what time they were doing the surgery. I waited and waited for the Vet to call me afterwards. My husband called me around 12:40 to find out if I'd heard anything yet, and I had to tell him no. She FINALLY called me around 1:00 p.m. to say things went fine, and he was awake and doing OK. She said they wanted to keep him there overnight tonight yet, though, so I could tell that he was still recuperating from the ordeal and that they were concerned enough that they wanted to keep him there a little longer than originally scheduled.

I called the Vet's office again just before their closing time of 5:00 p.m. to ask how he was getting along. The gal I spoke to then said he'd come through it "like a trooper" and had eaten, and used the litter box, etc. I asked her if he was getting feisty yet, and she said yes. I felt more reassured after talking to her.

I will take pictures of him tomorrow and get them uploaded and posted on here. (I am keeping it all on the same thread, but changing the thread's title with new updates, so that the whole story is on one thread and not spread out among several different ones. I hope that's OK, and not confusing or anything to anyone.)

Medusa
10-19-2007, 06:40 PM
You have a gem of a vet there! I'm so glad that Spook is doing so well. I know that he'll thrive in your care, too. Certainly no pressure to keep him from me but I just have this feeling that you won't be able to part w/him. A friend of mine has a one eyed cat that she name One Eye Ota (one iota, get it?). He's her heart kitty. I'm just so happy for Spook. He definitely fell into the right hands. Bless you all!

Katjaye
10-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Oh what wonderful news! I am so happy things went well! Thanks for the updates! Lucky you for such a wonderful Vet and such great caregivers at the vets office! Lucky Spook for finding you!

kitten645
10-19-2007, 09:46 PM
That's wonderful. What a cute little fuzzball. I'm going to PM you for the address of this vet. I'd like to send her a thank you note for being so kind. These acts of kindness mean more than most people realize and I'm a strong believer in acknowledging those that go the extra mile.
Get well soon Spooks!
Claudia

krazyaboutkatz
10-19-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm so glad that Spook's surgery went well and that he's doing well.:) I hope he'll make a speedy recovery too.

Soapets
10-20-2007, 10:54 AM
We went and picked up Spook around 9:00 this morning. He is doing very well---wants to get out and run and play and explore. We're supposed to keep his activities fairly restricted for the next 7-10 days. He goes back next Saturday to have the stitches removed and will have another poop test done then to test the status of the worms. He is rid of the fleas. We have to give him one more dose of dewormer on Monday. And he gets Clavamox twice a day yet for another week. Here are some updated photos:

Here he is when we picked him up from the Vet.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p94b58320dfc3cb07e79cc0e436ac5275/e78c3c54.jpg

We fed him when we got home. Here Annie is watching him eat:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pbdb4ba2cac4f0dbfe6fb13235eaaacaa/e78c3aa1.jpg

Here he is, eating like a widdle piggy!:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p81879be660288151a344fa711b36f529/e78c3d50.jpg

And here are both Dottie (on top of his carrier) and Annie, investigating, while he continues to snarf down his food.:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p309fd8d7556be604297ed15fffe24f4f/e78c3bc3.jpg

Here is the summary of charges:
10/18 1 Frontline 250 ml (to use on our pets at home) $37.40
10/18 1 Knock Out + Area Treat 16 oz (for our house) $19.24
10/18 1 Fecal examination $11.00
10/18 1 Examination Office Call $30.00
10/18 1 Frontline Promotion $0.00
10/18 1 Fvrcp Booster $15.00
10/19 1 Anesthesia $35.00
10/18 1 Pyrantel Pamoate 237 Ml (dewormer) $5.75
10/19 0.33 Frontline Plus Cat Green 3 Dos $0.00
10/19 1 Growth Feline Can 5.5oz/24 (Science Diet Food) $0.87
10/19 tax on food $0.06
10/19 1 Enucleation (eye removal surgery) $100.00

Total $254.32 if I added it up right, but we only paid $239.32 ($100.00 on Thursday when I took him in, and $139.32 today) so either they forgot to charge for something or she gave us more of a discount. I'll have to call them and ask about it---maybe he didn't get the Fvrcp shot for $15.00 yet. But he should be tested for that first anyway, right? When we take him in next Saturday I'll get that clarified, and will gladly pay the extra $15.00 if it was mistakenly left off of the invoice. (I took that off of the written estimate she gave me on Thursday, but it isn't shown on the actual invoice, that I can find.)

ANYWAY, how do these charges compare with what some of you out there would have been charged for the same services where you are? I am fairly certain that she gave us a break on at least the surgery fee. I'm curious to find out what it COULD have been.

Soapets
10-20-2007, 11:02 AM
I went ahead and called the Vet. to ask about the Fcrvp shot. He did NOT get it yet, because she felt he is a little bit too young/small for it yet. They will do that either when we take him in next Saturday, or may wait a little while longer yet depending on his weight by then. She included it in the estimate to let us know what it would cost for her to do it if/when she does it.

Randi
10-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Oh Soapets, you are WONDERFUL for doing this, and your vet too. :) :) ... oh, did I mention your husband. :)

Spooks is adorable, and I really hope the rest of his life will be a dance on roses! A shame he had to lose an eye, but I'm sure he'll get used to it pretty soon. At least he can see.

Please give him kisses and scritchies from Fister and me.

Medusa
10-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Aw, the little sweetie. I would just love to stroke his forehead and snuggle him close. He deserves a good life and you're seeing to that. As for the vet fees, all I can recall w/out checking is that my vet charges $40 for an office call. Looks like you either got a discount there or maybe that's the usual fee, I don't know. Whatever the case, you appear to have a really good one. I'm so happy Spook is doing well.

Freedom
10-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Glad to see that Spook is doing so well. Thanks so much for helping him!

critter crazy
10-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Aye Matey!!! Hey spook, tell meowmy all you need now is a Eye patch!! You are just too adorable!!:D

jazzcat
10-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Oh my, I'm just now seeing all this. First off - welcome back, it's good to see you.

What a cutie Spook is and how lucky he is to have you. I'm so glad things went well with his surgery.

I also wanted to throw in my two cents that I hope he gets to stay with you. ;)

Soapets
10-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Little Spook is sure an ornery little fart! He HATES being locked up in the carrier. We've been taking him out and playing on the couch with him several times a day, and he tires US out! He pounces and jumps and twists and turns and does somersaults and swats and grabs and hops and plays and is VERY quick! He has no idea that he is supposed to take things easy this week, with limited activities and confined space to run and play and explore.

He's eating like a little piggy, canned Science Diet kitten food, and drinks water several times a day. He hasn't rubbed at the sutured area where his right eye was removed at all. He doesn't even notice that anything is abnormal. He has no idea that he is "handicapped" compared with other kittens and cats! The plan is still to try to adopt him out but it's going to be extremely difficult for us to let him go when the time comes. We want him to find a good, loving and safe home. If we can do that, we'll be more able to take in other strays and fosters in the future. If we can't, we will have "failed" at fostering AGAIN, and we'll have FIVE cats and two dogs.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I've posted pictures of him on our city's newspaper web site already, telling his story. Maybe somebody will see that and want to adopt him, so he won't have to stay at the Humane Society very long at all. I posted that we will be turning him over to the Humane Society after Halloween, and after he's all healed from the surgery, when he's ready to be adopted out. It will be difficult for us to let him go even if we know he's going to a good home, but at the same time it will be satisfying to know that we gave him a chance at life that he most likely would not have had otherwise.

Katjaye
10-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Good luck to all of you! I know it's hard to give them up...which is why my husband won't let me foster any...because he know's i would FAIL every single time! Lol! He's right but I still want to do it! Lol! Me and my daughter are still working on him though! Lol!

Spook looks great after surgery and once the stitches come out he'll be even more adorable!

I don't know how much those things cost...as almost every pet I have gotten came from shelters that took care of all of that before I got my babies...so, good luck with finding out the costs.

You and your whole family (fur kids as well) are just wonderful for letting him into your lives!

critters
10-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I have to admit that's one case where he's MUCH better off without that eye; it was a ticking timebomb. As for the restricted activity, I wouldn't worry about it. If he's leaving his stitches alone, I'd let him run amok and be a kitten again!! He probably didn't feel much like it before and is making up for lost time. Adult kitties heal fast, but babies heal even faster!

Freedom
10-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Little Spook is sure an ornery little fart! He HATES being locked up in the carrier. We've been taking him out and playing on the couch with him several times a day, and he tires US out! He pounces and jumps and twists and turns and does somersaults and swats and grabs and hops and plays and is VERY quick! He has no idea that he is supposed to take things easy this week, with limited activities and confined space to run and play and explore.

Why would he want to be in the carrier? He gets loads of attention when he is out! And it is SO MUCH FUN! Maybe a few moments in the carrier for a quick nap and to recharge the batteries, but kitten batteries recharge very quickly!

I failed cat fostering 3 times out of 3 and had to give it up. I know what you mean, as I had to stop trappping the kittens and getting someone else to handle that part of any colony I worked, as I just knew what would happen! Now I have my first 2 foster dogs. Hmmm. So you are in great company here on PT, the home of many failed fosters, he he.

Soapets
10-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Spook has met all of our other fur-kids face to face today! Little Orphan Annie seems to be the most accepting of him so far. He and she even went so far as to chase each other around the house some! They bat at each other, but Annie doesn't try to hurt him. I worry about her batting him on the right side of his face where the sutures are, though. I watch them closely to try to prevent that from happening. She'll swat at the air first, and if she does it on his right side, I distract them both.

Shadow actually went up to him and started licking the top of his head while Spook was eating some of their food that he found. Dottie still doesn't like him too well. She hisses and growls, and looks like she's trying to hunt him down. Angel didn't come out and interact with him much when we had him out and running around. She sniffed at him and hissed, then went about her business and ignored him. Our two dogs, Sandi and Oreo, did just fine with him. He isn't afraid of them, either, and didn't hiss at them or anything.

He will have to be in the carrier tomorrow while my husband and I are not present to supervise them. But we will gradually be letting him spend more and more time running around the house.

Spook found the round track with a ball in it, with cardboard for scratching inside the track circle---I don't know for sure what it's called. But he was so funny, because he got into the track that the ball rolls in, and chased the ball around that way. Pretty soon the ball was chasing him! He knew what to do with the scratching area, too, and had a lot of fun scratching it!

He hopped sideways on his tippy toes with his back arched and all of his fur standing straight up a couple of times, when he was trying to be brave! He is hillarious to watch! I'll try to get some more photos uploaded tomorrow afternoon sometime.

krazyaboutkatz
10-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks for sharing his pictures with us. He sure is a cutie pie.:) I'm so glad to hear that he's doing well and acts like a normal kitten. Your vet sure did give you a break. My vets office charges $52 for an office visit and I know that surgery would cost a lot more. I hope that he'll heal up quickly and continue to thrive in your care. I also hope that he'll find the purrfect loving forever home. Good luck.:)

rg_girlca
10-22-2007, 10:34 AM
A big hearty WELCOME BACK Deb. It's good to see you posting again and I hope all is well with you and your family. I must add that Willy has been missing his Annie girl something awful. Maybe you can help him out on that. :D

Bless your heart of gold for helping this precious little baby. I have to admit, seeing the pictures of his eye for the first time, almost made me sick. Poor widdle tyke. I am so happy to see that the surgery went well and yes, the vet really gave you a break on all the costs.

I pray that Spook will find a good, loving forever home, even though I think he is better off right where he is now. :D

Message from Willy. I should have known better than to mention the name ANNIE......lol!!!
My dear sweet precious Annie. How I've missed you darling. When I heard meowmie mention your name, I almost feel over backwards off my cat tree.
Hope to hear from you soon sweetie. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/tiger04/10-07-07A.jpg

cassiesmom
10-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Soapets, how's little Spook?

Soapets
10-25-2007, 08:52 PM
He's doing very well! He has the run of the house now, and all of my other fur babies have accepted him. He and Little Orphan Annie, especially, wrestle a lot, in fun. It is neat to see how the bigger cats interact with him. They know just how to play without hurting him. He pesters them constantly! He isn't afraid of any of them---even attacked our dogs' (Sandi's and Oreo's) wagging tails a few times. I have more photos to upload, but will probably wait until the weekend when I'll have more time. I was gone all day today---just got home a little while ago.

He wears out our other pets, just by running and chasing and attacking them, or they follow him whenever he goes exploring. He's having a blast! I don't think we're going to be able to give him up...................

Medusa
10-25-2007, 08:56 PM
He's having a blast! I don't think we're going to be able to give him up.

Yay! Happy Feet Dance!

Soapets
10-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Spook got his stitches out yesterday. He weighed in at 1 2/3 pounds, so has gained a little bit of weight. The roundworms are gone but he has coccidia so is now on medicine for that. We have to take another poop sample to the Vet's in 2 weeks to retest for that. He got his first vaccination yesterday, for distemper I think.

AND HE GOT A PACKAGE IN THE MAIL FROM MEDUSA! Here are some photos:

Spook tyring to open the package:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pb5a4c568caa97ce8fd2cd7977bcb9cc6/e77e6a80.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p22d01ff3f9fd1ad823bf2cacee2dc714/e77e6ae4.jpg

Annie joining Spook to see what's in the package:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pce491afbf01c0e277e56b6223b802bc3/e77e5cd8.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pfd272aa030d9c3cd29ab44c2c2bbca4c/e77e6693.jpg

Dottie lying on top of the couch, in the sun, supervising things:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p25dc7a0b6cc82c0ed0d631b2fc43c7cb/e77e61f1.jpg

Shadow joins in on the action:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p7b1adbac70396c2ac9098e206b526050/e77e605a.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p2bae167a92416707de4d8c5957310ed3/e77e5df3.jpg

MORE PHOTOS COMING UP...........................

Soapets
10-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Here's a better picture of all the stuff that came in the package:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p9e1a5520f538a1b526c3084d62be70be/e77e4e38.jpg

Spook and Annie with the treats and toys:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p220f69c5667688a9d1fa1b5971180081/e77e56bb.jpg

Spook taking a treat from my hand:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p116fbf4221039595a5662d75231ea03f/e77e520a.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pc11c53387e3d43a67b799e9e8ee47247/e77e4dc8.jpg

Mmmmmmmmm!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pfd6d8582fa2842a7cebad0fb0211aa83/e77e49ea.jpg

Spook with his toys and treats:http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pd8ffbf056c7e45a93712253a04f34b6f/e77e4ae3.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p8ea863bd867d2c94cdcede51b803b973/e77e47c3.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p00b32b64e94d3ad6cf2639d495f349e6/e77e4642.jpg

Now Dottie comes down to check out the goods:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pf21f2f954ad437c8c2f57bdba50f1e23/e77e3dd8.jpg
A BIG THANK YOU TO MEDUSA FROM ALL OF MY BABIES FOR THE PACKAGE OF TREATS AND TOYS!

jennielynn1970
10-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Oh my gosh... what a doll!!! There would be no way I'd be giving him up! Spook is just way too darn cute! Please give him some scritchies and a big old kissie from me!

sandragonfly
10-28-2007, 01:59 PM
looks like we got the same goodies. :D :D ;)

yay, *dances on happyhappie feetsie* spooky is doing well on the mend!! I don't think I could give him up either and I still want him from you! :mad: I know you won't give him up as I would. :rolleyes: :p aww. he's still a handsome looking boy! I can't get over with his mitten! (or mittens?)

give ol'big grandmother kisses from me for him please! that means all over his face right? :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Spook sure is adorable and your other cats are looking good too.:) I bet the treats won't last very long.;)

Medusa
10-28-2007, 05:13 PM
What a bunch of happy cats! All of them so adorable! I love the pic of Spook licking his lips. Chow down and play, gang!

phesina
10-28-2007, 05:25 PM
What a fine little guy, and what a wonderful story!

Thank you so much, Soapets and your husband and your vet and your other kitties, for giving this little boy such a great start he otherwise never would have had a chance for.

Best wishes that Spook finds a wonderful furrever home (and I'm hoping it turns out to be the one he's already found ;) ).

cassiesmom
10-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Yay, a package filled with neat things! What fun pictures too!

Here's an article about Coccidia.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=680

Soapets
10-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the link to the article about Coccidia. It was helpful to read. Luckily Spook doesn't have diarrhea at this point, and we've been watching him closely. He uses his own litter box, so the other cats shouldn't be exposed to it, either. He hasn't found their litter boxes, which are upstairs, because he hasn't ventured upstairs yet. His litter box is in the carrier, and the carrier door is propped open just enough so that he can fit through and get into it, but the other cats are too big. He doesn't act sick or anything. He pesters the bigger cats constantly when he's awake. He plays and plays and plays and plays, and then plays some more! Oh, and did I mention that he PLAYS!

Soapets
11-01-2007, 07:02 PM
SPOOK got two catnip mice from Catmandu and the found cats! He absolutely loves them! (Angel, Shadow, Annie, and Dottie all like them, too!) I will post pictures tomorrow or this weekend sometime.

Spook has full run of the house now, and he's doing well. Last night I saw this little tiny "black streak" whiz by me, followed by a large "black streak". Then the large black streak came whizzing back by me, followed by the little tiny black streak! It was hilarious to watch as Spook, almost 2 pounds, and Shadow, weighing 19 pounds, ran around the house chasing and playing with each other!

I took Spook to the Humane Society this afternoon and got him registered there. :( He is now officially up for adoption through them. BUT we get to keep him here at home with us unless/until someone wants to adopt him. :)

So now we are OFFICIALLY "fostering" him for the Humane Society. One of the workers there today was also there on the first evening I brought him home and took him over there two weeks ago. She remembered what his right eye had looked like then, and was pleased to see him doing so well now.

I left with them a book about cats that I bought, called "Cats for Dummies", to give to whomever adopts him, or even to show to anyone who might come in and inquire about him. I have written down his "story" on the front inside cover of this book, for his furever humans to have so they will know his history. I have also written down the link to this thread in that book, so that whomever adopts him can find this thread and check out this site, and hopefully join Pet Talk and keep us ALL informed of his growth, activities and progress over time! (If THAT happens, it will be much, much easier for us to let him go!)

I am sad this evening at the thought of his leaving here sometime in the not too distant future. We've had him exactly two weeks and one day, yet it seems like he's been a part of our home for much, much longer. It's amazing how attached we've become to him in just those two short weeks!

Please pray that Spook will soon be in his furever home, with a loving family and lots of treats and a computer and the willingness to join us here on Pet Talk!

Soapets
11-05-2007, 04:29 AM
Here is Spook with one of the two catnip mice toys he got from Catmandu: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, GARY!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p9f92a0075dee4e7b62fa82ee940de430/e776a37e.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p62598806a1c909b75ad2e39511bdce2c/e7769f1d.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p74ddb28906684617144763702b664962/e77699ea.jpg

Here he is, stretched out in the heated cat bed:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p34f88dd8523e3ed407c0ffd866301a51/e776a035.jpg
Here he is in my husband's arms, playing with a straw wrapper. This one shows how small he really is:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p526c26687d6f9f3619bb042d1dfa1033/e7769b75.jpg
And here are Spook and Dottie on the back of our loveseat:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p9d6ff0ee96f4314b3d413c52ac552cc1/e7769c42.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p21da26cd4b29cf33e7d7bfdbbd894e91/e77696ff.jpg

Killearn Kitties
11-05-2007, 05:38 AM
Gosh, I have completely missed this story up until now. What a little sweetheart Spook is! The photos that you took in the vet's surgery are adorable. :D

You have done such a wonderful thing for little Spook. I wish him all the very best.

Medusa
11-05-2007, 05:59 AM
How I wish I could take him! He is so sweet and tiny and cute and lovey and.....

cassiesmom
11-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Spook, widdle sweet boy, you are so precious and it looks like your eye surgery site is healing nicely.

catmandu
11-05-2007, 09:29 AM
The Lucky Found Paradise Hotel Cats Are On Top Of The World Now That Spook Has Recieved Thier Gifts. And We Know That He Will Share With His Cat Friends So That Everyone Can Have A Great Old Time.
Tis Better Tio Give Than Recieve.

Soapets
11-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Spook is still at our house, and is thriving. He had a follow-up Vet. appt. this morning. He weighs 3 pounds. He got his Rabies shot and another vaccination, and was tested for feline leukemia virus and it is NEGATIVE! He got his nails clipped, and we will have him neutered in about another month. He has only been featured once in the paper as being up for adoption through the Humane Society. We're hoping nobody asks about him there, because as far as we're concerned he's already found his fur-ever home!

momtomany
11-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Soapets sounds like he has found his furever home already.................

kittycats_delight
11-30-2007, 08:36 PM
hehehehe Deb seems like we have another failed foster. :p Oh well that is Great for Spook. :) Welcome to your furever home Spook. I know you will be very happy living with meowmie Deb. :D

Medusa
11-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Yep, I had that feeling that Spook wouldn't be going anywhere. :p

krazyaboutkatz
12-01-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm glad to hear that Spooks doing well:) and I knew you wouldn't be able to adopt him out.;) Should I say congrats now or wait unit it's official?;)