PDA

View Full Version : Prayers DESPERATELY needed for Jenluck's Sunkist kitten...

moosmom
10-17-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm posting to ask all PTers for their thoughts and prayers for little Sunkist.

Jen is on the way to the emergency vets because an older foster that Jen had, attacked little Sunkist when Jen's back was turned. He got him in a neck hold and wouldn't let go. Thank God Jen was there and could intervene.

So, I'm asking all PTer's to please keep little Sunkist and Jenluck in your thoughts and prayers.

Thoughts and prayers coming from CT.

DrKym
10-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Certainly sending up thoughts and candles lit for sunkist! Give Jen our love won't you Donna?

Freedom
10-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Oh dear poor Sunkist!!!

Prayers on the way from RI!!

critter crazy
10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh No!!! Prayers are definitely on the way!!! :eek:

Taz_Zoee
10-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Oh no!! I hope little sunkist will be okay.

jenluckenbach
10-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Thank you Kim and Donna for posting this. Thank you, thank you.

I can't believe I allowed this to happen to that little baby. :( I could not hate myself more. :mad:

Baby Sunkist is staying the night at the emergency vet and will go to the regular vet first thing in the morning.

Even though, so far, so good, I am so afraid.

Xray shows nothing broken.
Only 1 puncture wound.
She is sitting up, even though she has a head tilt.
Her vision does not seem to be impared.
I am assuming she is breathing OK, as they did not say anything about that (I was worried about the windpipe).
I am also assuming that they have any bleeding under control (again, as nothing was mentioned)
She does not appear to be in too much pain upon palpation.

She will get fluids and antibiotics and anti-imflamatories over night.

PRAY! Pray as hard as you can!! I am so sad/guilty/angry (at myself)/afraid. :(

My poor baby. :(

Catty1
10-17-2007, 08:21 PM
JEN - major prayers for little Sunkist!

It wasn't your fault...the widdle ones had been there for a long time, and no one had bothered them.

Like wee children - turn your back for just a second and things can happen.

HUGS HUGS HUGS - you are a fantastic foster mom. This was an accident, and likely even if you HAD been looking at Sunkist, this would have happened so quickly it would have been the same result.

Sounds like good news on the widdle girl...PT Prayers that she continues to do fine, and does well at the vet tomorrow.

HUGS! again

Donnaj4962
10-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Oh my, many prayers for widdle Sunkist.

And (((hugs))) to you Jen. You could never have known this would happen! Please do not blame yourself. It could have happened to any one of us.

I will watch tomorrow for an update.

moosmom
10-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Jen,

Thanks for the update. I'll be praying hard tonight for Sunkist.

As far as YOU young lady, this is NOT your fault!! You had no way of knowing that it was going to happen. I thank God you were there to intervene. So stop beating yourself up. Repeat...THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT!!

Little Sunkist is in good hands now.

Medusa
10-17-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry this happened to Sunkist, poor little thing. How awful. Prayers going out that all will be well......

Soapets
10-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Prayers coming your way from Nebraska. Keep us posted........................

jazzcat
10-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Oh no! I'm so sorry, poor little Sunkist.

Jen, these things happen and you are not to blame. You are a great kitty mom to all and there are many lucky cats out there that have you to thank.

Prayers on the way.

K & L
10-17-2007, 08:53 PM
I sure hope everything will be OK. You cannot blame yourself for this. Luckily you were there to get Sunkist to the vet ASAP! Good luck!

Queen of Poop
10-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Prayers for sweet Sunkist.

AbbyMom
10-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Prayers on the way for widdle Sunkist and hugs for Jen.

Freedom
10-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Jen, thanks for updating all of us. How scary for you to hear and realize what was going on! Thank heavens you were home, and were able to cope with this immediately. This is where all your training and experience came in, helping to stop the attack and getting baby Sunkist to the ER.

Prayers for the white coats to help Sunkist and for all to be VERY well by the morning!

Will the other beverage kitty be staying with you for the night? I think this will be the first night alone from all siblings, so maybe a little extra TLC for that one; and the purrs will help you feel better. Hugs to you, Jen!

Scooter's Mom
10-17-2007, 09:45 PM
I am so sorry this happened. I will say prayers for baby Sunkist.

Please know that this was NOT your fault.

Hugs coming your way,
Crystal

RedHedd
10-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Oh no! Poor Sunkist. Prayers that she'll be fine.

krazyaboutkatz
10-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about Sunkist.:( Please don't blame yourself. You never know what animals are going to do. I'm so glad that you were right there to take her to the ER. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

jenluckenbach
10-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I won't be able to update until this evening. I will be picking her up at Emergency vet this AM, then she goes to regular vet....THEN I go to work. So I didn't want you to worry that there is no update.

The good news is that the emergency vet did NOT call overnight, which means nothing drastic happened.

Needless to say, even sleeping medication could not help me sleep last night. :(

Killearn Kitties
10-18-2007, 05:32 AM
What a shame Jen. :( What a fright for you.
I will be adding my thoughts for you and little Sunkist. Good luck baby girl.

kb2yjx
10-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Jen! Please do not blame yourself!!!! The good thing is that you were there and got the baby to the ER ASAP!!! Hope you will be able to bring the little one home soon!!! PRAYERS from all of us here in NJ!!!!

catmandu
10-18-2007, 09:59 AM
The Pet Angel Visitors Are With Sunkist Now, Keeping Her Comfortable.
What A Horrible Thingyou Must Have Been Through Jen, And All Our Prayers Are Going To You And Sunkist.
What Ever Possessed That Older Foster To Do That!!!!

orangemm
10-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Jen, please do not blame yourself; we all know animals can be unpredictable, even under the best of circumstances. It's just the nature of the beast (no pun intended). You have done such wonders with these babies, it's a miracle they found you!

Lots of prayers going up for the little one and big ((((hugs)))) to you.

Who was the attacker?

jenluckenbach
10-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Here is half of an update.

When I saw Sunkist this AM she was doing well. PURRING like a V8 engine!

They said she ate, used the litter box, and was generally doing well over night.

I won't be picking her up until 7:30 tonight (from her regular vet) to get the rest of the diagnosis.

critter crazy
10-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Here is half of an update.

When I saw Sunkist this AM she was doing well. PURRING like a V8 engine!

They said she ate, used the litter box, and was generally doing well over night.

I won't be picking her up until 7:30 tonight (from her regular vet) to get the rest of the diagnosis.

Sounds very good so far!! I sure hope she is still doing well when you go to get her!! Fingers crossed!!:)

phesina
10-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Prayers for Sunkist and Jen both. And blessings that Sunkist was doing so well this morning and that YOU, Jen, were there to recognize the emergency and give Sunkist the aid she needed right away.

Love, hugs, pets, and purrs to you both,
Pat and cats

jennielynn1970
10-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Oh my gosh... I didn't see this at all!!

I hope Sunkist is doing ok tonight! You can't blame yourself... You had no clue that one of your guys/fosters would ever do that to the baby.

Which kitty attacked Sunkist??

catnapper
10-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Jen, its 8:00, how is Sunkist?????

jenluckenbach
10-18-2007, 07:07 PM
OK UPDATE!!

The baby is HOME! :) :)

The only damage that might be permanent is a head tilt to her left. It may straighten up, but it may not. :( But it does not affest that way she walks, so it is something she can easily live with.

The 1 puncture wound is already on the road to healing.

Her pupils are equal and reactive (normal)

She will be on 2 meds for about a week. A steroid and an antibiotic.

THANK GOD!!!

By the way, it was Columbus who bit her. :( I am so thankful that I was RIGHT THERE when it happened or he would have killed her.

Thank you all too, for your support and prayers.

jennielynn1970
10-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Ok, must have missed a foster somewhere... who is Columbus??? I really need to pay more attention, lol!

jenluckenbach
10-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Ok, must have missed a foster somewhere... who is Columbus??? I really need to pay more attention, lol!
see here

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=134694

jennielynn1970
10-18-2007, 07:19 PM
OOOOH!!! HIM! Totally forgot that you had him. Oooops! And he's so handsome... too bad he's a meanie to the kittens.

Catty1
10-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Oh, no - the new guy who 'followed you home'.

What happens to Columbus? :(

Freedom
10-18-2007, 08:23 PM
The only damage that might be permanent is a head tilt to her left. It may straighten up, but it may not. :( But it does not affest that way she walks, so it is something she can easily live with.

Bobby has a head tilt, we aren't sure what causes it. He was a feral we had to bring in. The head tilt only means he can't compete for food well (which is why we had to bring him in from the colony), so I make sure he eats alone now and then. It doesn't stop him from doing a THING around here, blitzing about, dashing up and down the cellar stairs, chew and destroy mice missions get completed very quickly. (Toy mice - he takes off the covering. :rolleyes: I find a wad of stuffing here and there, he stores the outsides in his 'special place.' Those are his trophies, I guess.)

But you also said this may not be permanent so just wait and see.

Thankful that this has turned out so well!

kimlovescats
10-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Jen, I've never heard of another cat doing something so vicious to another, especially a kitten!!! I am so glad that baby Sunkist is going to be ok. Maybe a muscle is just sore and giving him / her a stiff neck temporarily.

I hate to say it, but I think Columbus needs to set sail again! :confused: He definitely can't be trusted around other cats! Babies for sure!!! I hope he can find someone who will make him their one and only!

Kim

Queen of Poop
10-18-2007, 09:32 PM
A slight head tilt will be part of sweet Sunkist's "personality". Kind of like my RB dog Sami who had one "lazy" ear. Please give her a kiss for me. And know that you are not responsible, you saved the day!

krazyaboutkatz
10-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the updates Jen. I'm so glad to hear that Sunkist is now home and doing well.:) I hope that she'll be easy to medicate and will make a quick and full recovery. I'll continue to keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm so sorry to hear that Colombus was the one that attacked her.:( I guess you'll have to keep him separated from the others. It sounds like he needs to be an only cat. Hopefully he'll be able to find his forever very soon. Good luck.

Barbara
10-20-2007, 03:07 PM
I am so sorry to hear about little Sunkist and am glad she survived.
I never heard about a neutered tom being so aggressive towards a kitten. But I know it can happen with tomcats just killing kittens that are not their own. In feral colonies the moms gather togetrher to protect their kittens- that's what you did Jen - being now Sunkist's mom.

momcat
10-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Poor little Sunkist, I'm relieved to know she's doing well and is recovering nicely. Groucho is sending her plenty of gentle feel better purrs and headbumpies.

Oh Jen, I can only imagine how you must have felt over this but you must know one thing... this is NOT your fault! You were right there and did what needed to be done. Sunkist got immediate vet care and treatment, that did make a difference. As well as we think we know our animal companions they can be unpredictable at times. You did nothing wrong, you did everything right!!!

Please know our prayers are being prayed for Sunkist and you. Prayers are being prayed for Columbus too.

Medusa
10-21-2007, 09:10 AM
I've mentioned this before but when Yodie first came to me, she had a head tilt and it turned out to be an ear polyp. I'm assuming he was already checked for this? If not, look into it because polyps can grow quickly and cause so many problems. Praying that it's nothing.......