PDA

View Full Version : Founder's own thread--bad mom!

Glacier
10-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Making his own thread, instead of leaving this with the sled dog pictures!

I was out with a friend on Saturday night, celebrating her birthday. Didn't get home until the wee hours of Sunday morning! When I got home, Founder had a couple puncture wounds, just little ones on his front leg. Not worth a 4am call to the vet! I have a stash of antibiotics so I started him on Cephalaxen and Metacam(which I also have a stash of!). Founder didn't seem overly distressed; none of the other dogs had even a speck of blood on them. Ozzy was in the yard that night and he can be a PITA! I figured Ozzy and Founder had a disagreement over a bone, settled it with their teeth and had moved on.

Monday night, I see Founder licking at spot on his side and discover a slightly larger puncture hidden in his fur. Still not terribly concerned. Been here, done this repeatedly! Didn't take him to the vet.

Come home from work last night, let Founder out of the isolation pen and discover that the spot on his side is infected. Big fluid sac underneath it. So I brought him to town with me this morning and dropped him off at the clinic, hoping for a simple solution. Founder was remarkably cooperative with the whole process. He is not a fan of truck rides and hates going out the front gate. This morning, he dragged me to the truck and jumped right in. The dog is smarter than me! He knew he needed to see the vet!

Vet just called--Rick, cuz it's always Rick when I screw up or have an emergency. He must think I'm an idiot somedays! Yup, wound on his side is infected, probably needs a drain. But that's not the major problem. Founder has a four inch long tear under his back leg! Rick said he checked back there because he saw Founder licking the area! How in the *&^@^%@ did I miss that!? That would have warranted a 4am call! He hasn't limped, hasn't favored his leg, there was no bloody fur, he's been eating, wooing, running and acting like Founder always does! Still, how did I miss a huge tear!!!???
Crap!!!

So Founder is headed into surgery asap to get sewn back together!

cassiesmom
10-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Get well soon, Founder! I know Phred's Prayer Pups already got in touch with God for you in the other thread.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/founder1.jpg

anna_66
10-17-2007, 02:21 PM
It's hard to tell somethings wrong if they don't tell you!

I'm very glad Founder wasn't in pain and hope to hear he'll be all sewn up & doing well by this evening.

Prayers headed his way!

gini
10-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Please don't beat yourself up - you were concentrating on the wound on his side.

They do keep you busy don't they? I hope Founder will be just fine in a few days.

sandragonfly
10-17-2007, 03:46 PM
bad mom?? ha!! :rolleyes: how could you know if you didn't saw punctures there.. only on front/side. so, you think it was from the fight?

founder, I've always loved your name and hope you'll get through the sir jury smoothly!

finn's mom
10-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Such a good, tough boy. Here's to a speedy recovery, Founder!

Freedom
10-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Oh Founder! What ever did you get up to while your mom was out? And then not to TELL! Well, the word is out now, and the white coats will have you back in one piece in no time. Heal quickly, dear boy!

sabies
10-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Get well soon Founder and no more fighting!

Taz_Zoee
10-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Oh Founder, I'm sorry mom didn't see the owie. But you knew it was there and were very cooperative to go to the vet to get it all fixed. Good Boy!!
I hope you are feeling 100% again, real soon. :D

joycenalex
10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
tamara, try not to beat yourself more. when you knew there was a problem, you went to the vet. while you know a lot, you're still not a vet or st frances. be a little kinder to yourself, and smile, or try to, as you write the check to rick. kindest regards, joyce, who is also not a vet ;)

Queen of Poop
10-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Prayers for Founder.

Cinder & Smoke
10-17-2007, 09:25 PM
:eek:

Hi God ~

Sorrie bout not tellin "the Rest of the Story" ... but nunbuddie knew!

Did'Ja get sum Lunch aftur Sir Jury?
Doc Rick prolly liked havin Your Help inna OR today ... Founder all Zipped back up OK?

Did Ya have a chance to *whispur* in his Mom's earbone?
She's all Hyper-Worried bout bein a "bad mom" kuzza not spottin the big tear ...
Let her know she's da BESTEST Fur-Mom inna YuKon!

Kinda hard to spot a Boo-Boo when da sillie dawg isn't limpin or complainin.
Maybe tell Founder ta *praktiss* his *moanin* & *groanin* in case he hazza nudder problem.

THANKS fur patchin him up, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

ramanth
10-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Aww don't be too hard on yourself. It's hard to know what's wrong if they don't act like anything's wrong. Get better soon Founder!!

(Seriously... how does a huge gash not bleed!? I could never figure that out... I mean there show dogs on Animal Cops that had been shot and there's not blood. It just boggles my mind..)

K9karen
10-17-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm sure Founder will heal perfectly in the loving care of good 'ole Doc Rick. Gentle cyber hugs to you, Founder. Next time (hope not), please do an howlie or something so mom knows you're hurt.

Don't feel bad, Tamara. My RB Cody was a rugged soul and never ever complained. If I didn't notice things very carefully, (sometimes, I didn't), he wouldn't have made his many visits to the vets. To this day I feel as guilty as he$$. I could always tell he was uncomfortable with his HD if he limped. A week before he went to the Bridge, I took him to the vet and mentioned the wrong leg. On examination, the inward side his other rear leg was almost black and swollen like an elephant. I petted and massaged him constantly and never saw it. He was bleeding out ..never found out from where. Broke my heart. If only I saw it sooner. Who knows? With all your gang, I think you do a great job and Founder does too.

Glacier
10-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks everyone.

Founder got to come home when the clinic closed this evening. He got stitches in two spots, one on his side and the gash under his leg. He has a drain under his leg too. It has to stay in for five days and get flushed a couple times a day. I hate drains! Also got more cephalexin and meloxicam.

He's whiny and restless. I think that's from the anasthetic. Hopefully it stops before I need to go to bed! He's hating the bite-not collar, but he hates the e-collar even more. I'm not taking him back to get the stitches fixed so the collar is staying on no matter how much he whines about it!

He should be healed up in 10-14 days

Pawsitive Thinking
10-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Be a good patient Founder and heal up soon

anna_66
10-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm glad to hear he's home and I hope he's getting used to the no bite collar:)

Glacier
10-19-2007, 02:53 PM
I hope he's getting used to the no bite collar:)

We had to abandon the no-bite collar. Founder discovered that if he curled up in a ball, he could chew at the stitches in his back leg! So he's in an e-collar now--his second one! He destroyed one while I was at work yesterday!

This morning he was running around outside with his tail up and thinking about jumping on me. He must be feeling better.