PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and mushrooms?

WELOVESPUPPIES
10-17-2007, 06:25 AM
I just found this dried up black thing on Chopper's blanket in our office, something he must have brought in last night. I think it is a dried up mushroom. I saw him trying to eat it this morning before I realized what it was and picked it up. Should I be concerned? Should I induce vomiting? I know that mushrooms can be toxic but I am not sure that is what it is or how much he ate. I cannot think of anything else that he may have gotten off the patio (we have pavers and the occasional mushroom grows through).

EDIT: It was, I just checked the patio and where there had been a dried mushroom the other day it is gone now, just the stain where it was. What should I do my vet is not open yet to ask them?? Now I am concerned that he actually ate most of it last night hiding in the office. Would I notice by now if it was going to cause a problem? He seems fine this morning.

EDIT: Well I managed to reach the emergency vet in our area...she made it sound like I needed to get him to the vet right away with a sample of the mushroom because it could be very toxic for him (by the way she was rude...it wasn't like I was feeding him mushrooms but that is how she talked to me!!) My vet has opened now and I called them. They told me just to monitor him for any unusual behavior...I am confused :confused: how can one person be so worried and another be like...well lets watch and see. He seems fine but how long would it take before I noticed something wasn't right and by then would it be to late?? Should I make him vomit incase he swallow some this morning? Vomiting is something they told me to watch for...so far nothing. I looked on line and found a mushroom that looked like what I had seen grow in that spot earlier this summer, it was toxic.

Freedom
10-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Chopper, what did you get into now? Stick to getting into cute apparel, would ya?

I say just watch him. Anything unusual, take him in to your vet immediately.

Don't cha just love what our pets get into? :rolleyes:

I think the emergency vet is acting properly. If you are so worried that you would phone them, they have a liability issue if they tell you just watch and then something happens.

And your vet is also acting properly as they have more knowledge of both you and the dog. And perhaps they are closer to your home, as well.

Hand in there!

WELOVESPUPPIES
10-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Chopper, what did you get into now? Stick to getting into cute apparel, would ya?

I say just watch him. Anything unusual, take him in to your vet immediately.

Don't cha just love what our pets get into? :rolleyes:

I think the emergency vet is acting properly. If you are so worried that you would phone them, they have a liability issue if they tell you just watch and then something happens.

And your vet is also acting properly as they have more knowledge of both you and the dog. And perhaps they are closer to your home, as well.

Hand in there!

That's what I am doing, keeping an eye on him. He is such a little bugger, this little guy will eat anything I tell you.

I have put the parts of the mushroom I found into a baggie just in case I have to take him in I will be taking that with me. He seems fine, actually he is sleeping in my lap right now which is what he does every morning while I am working.

I am sure the girl at the ER vets was just doing what she should but it was her tone...she was not very polite and did not want to answer any questions like what I should watch for until I could get ahold of my vet.

Just keep him in your thoughts and prayers that all is well.

Freedom
10-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Hoping that Chopper escaped any hazardous mushroom issues!

Hellow
10-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Well, Reggies outdoor feast: Dried leaves with the occassional cricket or worm, served on grass or concrete, then come inside and throw all of it up on masters carpet (ugh). But, fact is, that most mushrooms you see are non-toxic. Hopefully thats the kind that Chopper feasted on and you dont have to take him to the vet!

WELOVESPUPPIES
10-18-2007, 06:33 AM
Looks like Chopper is fine. He did not have any problems yesterday. He did hack up 3 pieces of UNCHEWED dog food around 4 p.m. but was acting fine and has not done it again so I think it was because he is a piggy and thinks he is suppose to swallow them whole. Thanks guys for thinking of him ;)

lute
10-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Keep an eye on that young one! He'll be addicted to shrooms in no time.hahaha! Sorry, I just had to.

I'm glad Chopper is ok!

WELOVESPUPPIES
10-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Keep an eye on that young one! He'll be addicted to shrooms in no time.hahaha! Sorry, I just had to.

I'm glad Chopper is ok!

Your too funny :D

Thanks.

cassiesmom
10-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Ohhh, Chopper... you had an adventure... it's probably not a good idea to munch on something unless mom chose it for you. I'm glad you are all right! I'm with Freedom, I'd rather you get into cute outfits :D