PDA

View Full Version : **DiD You Read This? = How So Sad**Ellen DeGeneres & Adopted Puppy**

lvpets2002
10-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Ellen DeGeneres
News
Birthplace: New Orleans, Louisiana
Birthday: January 26, 1958

DeGeneres under fire for giving away dog
By BETH HARRIS, Associated Press Writer
Today at 9:30 am

Ellen DeGeneres is in the doghouse with a pet rescue agency after giving a pooch away to her hairdresser because it didn't get along with her cats.

The talk show hostess and her partner Portia de Rossi adopted Iggy, a Brussels Griffon mix, on Sept. 20. But when things didn't work out, DeGeneres gave the dog to her hairdresser.

In doing so, DeGeneres violated an agreement with the Mutts and Moms dog rescue agency by not informing them of the handoff.

When the agency called DeGeneres to ask about Iggy, she said she found another home for the dog. The agency sent a representative to the hairdresser's home Sunday and took the dog away.

DeGeneres went public about the situation Monday while taping an episode of her show to air Tuesday. She admitted she didn't read all the paperwork involving the adoption.

DeGeneres said she spent $3,000 having the dog neutered and trained to be with her cats. But the dog had too much energy and was too rambunctious, she told her television audience.

"I guess I signed a piece of paper that says if I can't keep Iggy, it goes back to the rescue organization, which is not someone's home, which is not a family," she said in a show transcript provided to The Associated Press.

"I thought I did a good thing. I tried to find a loving home for the dog because I couldn't keep it."

DeGeneres said her hairdresser's daughters, ages 11 and 12, had bonded with Iggy and were heartbroken when the dog was taken away.

"Because I did it wrong, those people went and took that dog out of their home, and took it away from those kids," a sobbing DeGeneres said on her show.

"I feel totally responsible for it and I'm so sorry. I'm begging them to give that dog back to that family," she said. "It's not their fault. It's my fault. I shouldn't have given the dog away. Just please give the dog back to those little girls."

Craftlady
10-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Mutts and Mom's made a HUGH misstake. I hope they are haunted big time by press etc. Hope they do the right thing and give the dog back to the hairdressers family.

Watch the video she made and it's heart wrentching.
Ellen paid extra to have the dog spend the night with the vet at his house instead of a cage to recup from it's surgery.
She went the extra mile to make sure the puppy was in a good home.
Once it was determined her cats couldnt get along with the dog.

pitc9
10-16-2007, 04:14 PM
I understand the contract was not followed and I'm sure the rescue will say that it was breach of contract. And they have every right to take the dog back because she signed a contract and did not follow it. If they bend the rules for someone famous, they'll say they'll have to bend them for everyone.
BUT
In this case, they should give the dog back to her hairdresser.
Ellen was responsible enough to pay a trainer to work with the dog to try to make it work out. It's not like she didn't try to make it work nor did she give the dog to a stranger.

Ellen should have gone about it differently, and she knows that now.

I'll be waiting to see how this ends up.

moosmom
10-16-2007, 04:18 PM
I totally agree with what Craftlady said. The rescue organization should've re-considered the best interest of the puppy.

Ellen made a mistake. But, she didn't take the puppy to another shelter, she found a loving home for him. There is nothing wrong with that. I hope all the negative publicity that the organization is getting will make them reconsider.

lizbud
10-16-2007, 04:24 PM
I try to watch her show everyday & I did see today's show where she
talked about it. I do hope the group reconsiders & finds this new family
to be responsible people who love the dog. Anyone who knows Ellen, knows
what a animal lover she is. I would think Ellen has enough smarts to know
a responsible pet lover when she sees one. Give the dog back, I say. :)

lvpets2002
10-17-2007, 08:55 AM
:( I am still saddened by this.. I cried every time I tried to watch the video.. Yes I signed the same contract with each & everyone of my adoptions.. I know there has to be rules/regulations & exceptions to every rule.. However I back Ellen up 100% on this, due to I just know in my heart she gave the puppy to a great loving home.. I sure hope Moms & Mutts gives this baby back to this family..

mruffruff
10-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Unfortunately, Moms and Mutts were in the right. However, I hope they see that it would be in everyone's best interest to screen the hairdressers family and return the dog to her and her family. Moms and Mutts certainly don't need the bad publicity. If they need an additional adoption fee, I'm sure that could be arranged.

sabies
10-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I read that they don't put small dogs in homes with children under 14. I understand about rules and contracts needed to protect the dog, but I think 14 is pretty old and no age really guarantees a dog's safety. Sometimes these rules keep dogs from good families but still allow abusive families to adopt.

CountryWolf07
10-18-2007, 01:08 PM
I believe Ellen is a good person, she is a animal lover.. so, I'm not upset about what happened, but it is unfortunate for it to happen.

jackie
10-18-2007, 05:30 PM
No one is above the rules, and I am sorry to see the shelter is getting so much flack for following their adoption rules.

It is sad how the whole thing has turned out.

lute
10-19-2007, 09:09 AM
How unfortinate! It may make the rescue look bad, but they were just following their adoption rules. But, what if the hairdresser family wants the dog back? What if they fill out their own adoption application and adopt the dog? It doesn't say anything about that. The dog was obviously well cared for and happy where it was.

JenBKR
10-19-2007, 11:16 AM
I read that they don't put small dogs in homes with children under 14. I understand about rules and contracts needed to protect the dog, but I think 14 is pretty old and no age really guarantees a dog's safety. Sometimes these rules keep dogs from good families but still allow abusive families to adopt.

I heard that too, and they are saying that's the reason they will not adopt this dog out to the hairdresser's family. I saw the daughter (age 12) on Good Morning America the other day, and she was heartbroken. If all houses with kids under the age of 14 were banned from adopting dogs, a lot of dogs would miss out on good homes. I grew up with a dog in the house, and I can't imagine it any other way.

lvpets2002
10-19-2007, 12:24 PM
I heard that too, and they are saying that's the reason they will not adopt this dog out to the hairdresser's family. I saw the daughter (age 12) on Good Morning America the other day, and she was heartbroken. If all houses with kids under the age of 14 were banned from adopting dogs, a lot of dogs would miss out on good homes. I grew up with a dog in the house, and I can't imagine it any other way.

:o Thank you.. I grew up on a farm & always had dogs running with us.. Thats when you bond is when you & the puppy are young.. I think 12 & 14 is a good age to have a dog.. Heck its everyday you hear of Grown Adults that abuse & dont know how to treat pets & are cruel to them.. :( I just think the whole subject matter has gone way out of line.. I read somewhere that Moms & Mutts had already adopted the dog to someone else.. The bottom line here is just get the puppy to a loving home & leave him so he can get settled..

JenBKR
10-19-2007, 12:37 PM
M&M has a policy against adopting TOY BREED dogs out to families with children under 14. Iggy is definitely a toy breed dog. This is not an uncommon stipulation for rescues to have.

Why is that? Just curious, never heard of that before.

lvpets2002
10-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Why is that? Just curious, never heard of that before.

:) Jen dogs like Yorkie, Pomoranian, Small Poodles.. Any dog thats basically under 10 lbs..

PupPLuv
10-19-2007, 04:18 PM
This whole deal is sad. I agree, they should follow rules. But when I watched that little girl crying her eyes out, begging for her dog back, I was so upset! I know everyone's intentions were good, but it didn't turn out so well. But I did hear a rumor ((But I'm not sure if it's true)) that the lady at the shelter called the media and the police and made a huge public deal about it. I don't think that should've been the response...But still it's not deserving of all of the death threats the shelter is getting. Well...I guess I'm going back and forth, but really, no one tried to do anything wrong, they were both doing what they thought was best. It's just a shame it got this messy. Best wishes for everyone....

Genny
10-19-2007, 05:40 PM
I know M&M were only following their policy but I still think it is sad; Ellen is a big animal lover from what I have heard over the years and she was only doing what was in the puppy's best interest.

PupPLuv
10-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Update: http://www6.comcast.net/entertainment/articles/2007/10/16/People.DeGeneres/

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
10-20-2007, 06:01 PM
YES, the dog has been rehomed so the "hoping" can stop.

please realize Mutts and moms isn't some super needy shelter, they need adoiptions but the puppy wouldn't have been rotting in a cage if he wasn't taken by that family. Both M&M and Ellen were dumb here. the adoption should have been on a trial basis only, knowing he wasn't good with cats or not knowing he was good with her cats. Ellen is a great person, tried to be an example but she didn't care enough to read a contract(she should be used to it after all these years).

bckrazy
10-22-2007, 12:29 AM
I no longer have any respect for Ellen, I think the only person who is being truly tasteless about all of this is her. D: Her crying/sobbing speech on her show was probably the lamest thing everrr. She didn't even alert the rescue that she was giving the puppy away... she just gave him away after 2 freaking weeks! It takes months & months for some cats to adjust to having a dog around, especially a puppy.

Ellen broke a contract. The rescue treated her like any "normal" adopter, and seized the puppy, and the puppy went to a new home. WOW. There really is no need for public outcry & Good Morning America publicity stunts... this one puppy is going to affect the opinion of millions of people in the country, toward rescue in general. I hope Ellen and her hairdresser are pleased with themselves.

3muttsandaboston
10-22-2007, 12:44 AM
This whole thing is sad. An updated article...

We’ve been unable to get a comment from someone about the following but the latest speculation is that Mutts and Moms lost their license to operate as a non-profit organization a year ago. Does this mean they had no rights to take the dog back? The LAPD is now even saying they may have erred by getting involved.

We were emailed us this information about what is allegedly being reported at the California Secretary of State website:

Suspended: The California corporation has lost all rights and powers for failure to meet statutory filing requirements of either the Secretary of State’s office or the Franchise Tax Board. Information regarding the type of suspension can be obtained by requesting a status report. Fees and instructions for requesting a status report are included on the Business Entities Records Order Form. CA Sec of State.

ET Online reports that it is said the contract in question does not contain an age clause, another reason given by Mutts and Moms for taking back the dog. Their sources also tell the syndicated entertainment and news program that the family Ellen gave the dog to — her hairdresser, his wife and their two pre-teen daughters — did fill out an application online when the dog took up residence with them.

It was at that time the agency said they would come out to inspect their property as part of the adoption process. Instead, they reclaimed the dog and calling the police. As Mutts and Moms were officially registered as the owners by the chip, authorities turned over custody to them.