PDA

View Full Version : Ellen Degeneres & Pet Adoption*Update post #16*

critter crazy
10-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Beth Harris
Associated Press Writer
Oct. 16, 2007 12:00 AM
LOS ANGELES - Ellen DeGeneres (http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/articles/1016degeneres1016.html#) is in the doghouse with a pet rescue agency after giving a pooch away to her hairdresser because it didn't get along with her cats.
The talk show hostess and her partner Portia de Rossi adopted Iggy, a Brussels Griffon mix, on Sept. 20. But when things didn't work out, DeGeneres gave the dog to her hairdresser.
In doing so, DeGeneres violated an agreement with the Mutts and Moms dog rescue agency by not informing them of the handoff.
When the agency called DeGeneres to ask about Iggy, she said she found another home for the dog. The agency sent a representative to the hairdresser's home Sunday and took the dog away.
DeGeneres went public about the situation Monday while taping an episode of her show to air Tuesday. She admitted she didn't read all the paperwork involving the adoption.
DeGeneres said she spent $3,000 having the dog neutered and trained to be with her cats. But the dog had too much energy and was too rambunctious, she told her television (http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/articles/1016degeneres1016.html#) audience.
"I guess I signed a piece of paper that says if I can't keep Iggy, it goes back to the rescue organization, which is not someone's home, which is not a family," she said in a show transcript provided to The Associated Press.
"I thought I did a good thing. I tried to find a loving home for the dog because I couldn't keep it."
DeGeneres said her hairdresser's daughters, ages 11 and 12, had bonded with Iggy and were heartbroken when the dog was taken away.
"Because I did it wrong, those people went and took that dog out of their home, and took it away from those kids," a sobbing DeGeneres said on her show.
I feel totally responsible for it and I'm so sorry. I'm begging them to give that dog back to that family," she said. "It's not their fault. It's my fault. I shouldn't have given the dog away. Just please give the dog back to those little girls."
Mutts and Moms, a volunteer nonprofit organization in Pasadena, does not have a listed phone number and didn't immediately respond to an e-mail request for comment.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/articles/1016degeneres1016.html

lvpets2002
10-16-2007, 03:02 PM
:( Yes this is so so Sad.. I Posted a Thread in Dog General of this story.. Yes give the puppy back.. Yes I know you sign the contract.. But if you tell the truth they always waive the contract.. I am sure there is more to the story.. I still cryed with her & for the poor wittle puppy.. :(

lady_zana
10-16-2007, 03:22 PM
I understand the reason the rule....they want to be sure it's in a good home...who knows who someone might give it to? But if they've checked out this new place, Ellen's friend, and she's a responsible pet owner, why not let the dog live there? Ellen's right - the adoption agency isn't a home or a family.

(And I hope the $3,000 was mostly for the dog training....if she paid $3000 to get it neutred, she needs to look for a new vet! :p )

Ginger's Mom
10-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Let me play devil's advocate for a moment.
Does anyone know if the adoption agency contacted the new "owners" and asked them to come in and fill out the proper paperwork? How did they know where the new owners lived, to go get the puppy? It it possible/probable, that there were attempts to get a home and background check that were ignored by the new "owners" until they learned how serious the adoption agency was when they showed up for the pup? Is it possible that they thought because they know Ellen Degeneres that they thought they didn't need to go through the same process other adopters need to go through? I don't know if that is the case or not. But it is possible that they are just as responsible for what happened as the adoption agency. They may have been able to avoid the whole "heartbroken" children fiasco by doing what needed to be done to keep the puppy.

Again, I don't know if any of that happened. I am just suggesting that there may be two sides to the story, and I seriously hope that this does not ruin the reputation of a rescue if it is truly doing good work for dogs.

animal_rescue
10-16-2007, 03:49 PM
*sigh* This all makes me think of Charley. I don't know if you guys remember this but he was my neighbor's Collie mix that I loved like my own. He died because of stupid owners! If his first owner's would have just given him back to the HS then he wouldn't have died like he did. :(

Anyways why can't they just fill out the paperwork themselves and adopt him out as their own? What is so wrong with that?!

KittyGurl
10-16-2007, 04:06 PM
This is so sad. They shouldn't of taken the dog back. The puppy would be so much happier in a home than in a shelter. Poor dog...

critter crazy
10-16-2007, 04:09 PM
I can definitely see both sides of the story, but Like so many others have said, that poor dog dosent deserve to be in a shelter, he should be in a home.:(

moosmom
10-16-2007, 04:14 PM
I just watched the video of Ellen's show where she was explaining the situation. It broke my heart. I commend her for being honest with the rescue organization. And I think instead of taking the dog back, they should've just asked the couple with the children to fill out a new adoption form. To physically remove the dog from a loving home simply because Ellen made a mistake was wrong. If the home were abusive, that is one thing. But this was a loving furrrrever home. I hope they change their minds.

Ginger's Mom
10-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Donna, I did not see Ellen. Are you saying they never asked the family to fill out the proper paperwork? How did they find out where the family lived?

Logan
10-16-2007, 04:46 PM
You guys are as fair as I have seen all day today. Thank you for that! On one of my other groups, everyone is crying foul, saying the rescue did the wrong thing. How do they know?

Those of us involved in rescue know that there is a reason that they do vet reference checks, home visits, etc. And for the rescue to decide to waive those rules just because it is Ellen who is turning over the dog to a new owner, just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm living proof of how the system works. I fostered Ben (Golden Retriever) last year for a week. An approved family ended up adopting him. No one else in our rescue group ever saw him. He was turned in as a stray at our rescue's vet office and I picked him up after he had all of his shots and had been temperment tested. The family ended up with a change of life situation and couldn't keep him. They called me. I knew I wanted him, but I did go through proper channels to have them release him back to rescue and then I formally adopted him. It was the right thing to do, although those folks would have turned him over to me, no questions asked. They didn't remember that they needed to contact the rescue. They just knew I loved him and since we had kept in touch, they told me, first. Boy am I glad they did!!! :)

I feel horrible for the situation Ellen found herself in and I feel really badly for that family, too, and the dog. Hopefully all parties involved will use this opportunity to educate people about why rescue does what it does to find proper homes for the dogs they take in. And if the family that she gave the dog to will go through the proper adoption procedures, pass the home check and vet reference check, he can be right back with them. Something tells me that the rescue would not want all of this negative publicity and hopefully they are working in the best interest of the dog. I'm cautiously optimistic!

Logan

lizbud
10-16-2007, 05:13 PM
I just posted in Dog General about this & to repeat, it's,

I try to watch her show everyday & I did see today's show where she
talked about it. I do hope the group reconsiders & finds this new family
to be responsible people who love the dog. Anyone who knows Ellen, knows
what a animal lover she is. I would think Ellen has enough smarts to know
a responsible pet lover when she sees one. Give the dog back, I say.

Only thing I would add is ,Ellen made the point that she did the wrong thing.
She was upset that the dog had to suffer for her mistake in not following
the adoption policy. She was doing the right thing in finding a good home
for the pup, but overlooked the policy papers. I hope something can be
worked out for all concerned.The family & their little girls did bond with the pup.

Argranade
10-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I hope that family with those 2 girls get's the dog back!

How rude is that.

CathyBogart
10-16-2007, 06:02 PM
I have to side with the rescue, though I think they should give the family the option of going through the rescue to get the dog back, IF they pass the rescues screening process.

Ginger's Mom
10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Hopefully all parties involved will use this opportunity to educate people about why rescue does what it does to find proper homes for the dogs they take in. And if the family that she gave the dog to will go through the proper adoption procedures, pass the home check and vet reference check, he can be right back with them. Something tells me that the rescue would not want all of this negative publicity and hopefully they are working in the best interest of the dog.
What a good thought! :) I hope you are right.

I hear everyone saying that the dog went to a shelter. The name Mutts and Moms doesn't sound like a shelter to me. I would have thought that it is a rescue agency, and they usually rely on foster homes for their dogs, not shelters.

I still have no idea what really happened, but the other thing that surprises me is that someone in Ellen Degeneres position would sign a legal agreement without being aware of what it said. I would just think you would be extra careful when you have so much you could lose. I got Ginger from a rescue group located about 4 hours from where I live. Their paperwork said that if I ever needed to rehome my dog that I was to place the dog back with them. I questioned the lady about that before I signed the paperwork. I asked her if that meant that if I found that I was unable to care for my dog but I had a relative or close friend that Ginger had bonded with, I would not be able to place my dog with that person? She said if I contacted them and informed them of the rehome and who she was going with they would probably approve the rehome fairly quickly. So I added that to the "other" section of the adoption agreement.

jennielynn1970
10-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Has there been any word about the dog or the family it was taken away from?

It's unfortunate that it happened the way it did. These type of things really have negative effects on animals, but I'm sure the rescue was doing what it felt was best at the time. I hope so anyway.

critter crazy
10-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Agency Wants to Keep DeGeneres' Dog
By BETH HARRIS
Associated Press Writer
LOS ANGELES
[/url] [url="http://a.tribalfusion.com/h.click/aemxJ5Xa6MRr3CUbM1VWJTnrBoPFZbNYaMq5EJa4aQ0nqbIYbj 7TdMRnPvZbnVnwodrF3Evi3Hep3PvZcmrrJXVfP1c3V0VvwpTb 43bFWTFJDUPY1PEUYSc3rPdJsYHZbtVPvN4r3kdScaZdl/http://fredericksburg.com/Homes"] (http://oascentral.fredericksburg.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/fredericksburg.com/L18/368575799/x33/Fredburg/LennarVaHeritage_StoryAd_News/VaHeritageLeesHill_StoryNews.jpg/53427779763063566574414142302f57)

Ellen DeGeneres' doggy drama intensified Tuesday when the agency that took the talk show host's adopted dog back said they were keeping it.

The dog adopted by DeGeneres and later given to her hairstylist's family in violation of an animal rescue agency's rules will not be going back to the family, a spokesman said, amid threats of violence against the agency.

DeGeneres made a tearful plea on her talk show that aired Tuesday for the owners of Mutts and Moms to give Iggy, a Brussels Griffon mix terrier, back to her hairstylist's family.

The dog was removed from the hairstylist's home Sunday. The owners of Mutts and Moms claimed that DeGeneres violated the adoption agreement by not informing them that she was giving the dog away.

Mutts and Moms owners Marina Batkis and Vanessa Chekroun were in possession of the dog and will not be giving it back, attorney Keith A. Fink told The Associated Press.

"She (Marina) is not going to give them the dog," said Fink, who is not legally representing the owners but is authorized to speak on their behalf.

"She doesn't think this is the type of family that should have the dog. She is adamant that she is not going to be bullied around by the Ellen DeGenereses of the world ... They are using their power, position and wealth to try to get what it is they want."

DeGeneres' attorney, Kevin Yorn, did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Fink said DeGeneres' partner, actress Portia de Rossi, signed the agreement. DeGeneres originally said on her show that she (DeGeneres) had signed it.

DeGeneres' publicist Kelly Bush confirmed De Rossi signed the agreement, although DeGeneres' name also was listed.

"She (Ellen) was wrong by not reading the agreement," Bush told the AP in a phone interview. "She thought she was doing a good thing. She's notorious for rescuing animals and finding them good homes. She found the dog a wonderful, wonderful home."

Fink asserted that DeGeneres and De Rossi breached the agreement.

"If you adopt a dog and you no longer want the dog, you can't unilaterally decide who you want to give the dog to," he said. "She's trying to tell a story to make herself look good."

As a result of the ensuing publicity, Fink said Batkis and Chekroun had received voice- and e-mail threats of death and arson, and their Paws Boutique store in Pasadena was besieged by media Tuesday, disrupting business. The women handle the volunteer, nonprofit Mutts and Moms rescue agency out of the store.

"It's very upsetting to hear that someone is getting those kind of calls," Bush said. "Ellen just wants the dog reunited with the family."

DeGeneres had said her hairdresser's daughters, ages 11 and 12, had bonded with Iggy and were heartbroken when the dog was taken away.

Fink said Moms and Mutts has a rule that families with children under 14 are not allowed to adopt small dogs.

"It's for the protection of the dog," he said.

DeGeneres said on her Tuesday show that she spent $3,000 having the dog neutered and trained to be with her cats, but Iggy did not mix well with the cats so she gave him away.

"She got rid of the dog not because it didn't get along with the cats," Fink said. "She didn't like the dog."

Not true, according to Bush.

"She loved the dog," the publicist said.

Four-month-old Iggy was trained by Zack Grey at his UrbanTales pet store in Los Angeles.

"Ellen and Portia followed the process every single day," he said. "It just didn't work. It had nothing to do with not loving the puppy."

Ginger's Mom
10-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Oh, :( , I am sorry to hear some of the comments made by the rescue's attorney. They may have been better off to have said nothing. It makes it sound like they are more concerned with appearing to be "bullied by the Ellen Degenereses of the world." Most rescues say age 12, and even with an age of 14, these children are not too much younger and may have proven that they are responsible enough to co-exist with at small dog. And any comments by her as to why Ellen got rid of the dog are inappropriate.

I hope the dog finds a nice quiet home where the media cannot find him and he can be loved and spoiled.

smokey the elder
10-17-2007, 07:48 AM
My group has the same clause in the adoption agreement, and legally it actually has very little teeth (at least in New York.) A repossession done before my time required the use of a lawyer and several thousand dollars. They were NOT able to just barge in and take the cat. Maybe the rules are different in California.

loveallfurryfriends
10-17-2007, 07:54 AM
I understand the reason for the rules. I do think that this family should be given the opportunity to adopt this poor pup. Ellen was honest about the whereabouts of the dog, and that should count for something. It seems like the rescue could have given the stylists' family the chance to apply for adoption. Those poor kids!!! I am sure the doggy is so confused!!!

moosmom
10-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Loving family vs. cage at rescue organization.

Something is definitely wrong with this picture. It's sad that it's resorted to this. Shame on Mutts and Moms for not considering what is in the best interest of the dog.

Freedom
10-17-2007, 08:33 AM
In some earlier posts in this thread, people mention the dog went to a shelter, but I am not sure of that? I think maybe this rescue, like many and like the rescue I am with, uses foster homes. Just not sure.

I think the rescue was right in enforcing their rules. Let the hairdresser's family submit an application, go through the background checks and adopt the dog properly IF they qualify.

I REALLY dislike the fact that Ellen is using her TV program to lobby for breaking the rules and letting the family KEEP the og without the proper background checks.

Poor doggie.

Craftlady
10-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Ellen just mentioned on today's show (Wed) that her name wasnt on the microchip(she was told it would be added). They scanned and didnt show her name thus she cant have the animal back. She was telling the audience to make sure when your pet is microchiped to that you (owners) names on the list.

The story gets more interesting.

CathyBogart
10-17-2007, 09:34 AM
How do ANY of us know the rescue is not looking out for Iggy's best interest? Frankly, if I had been receiving threatening phone calls regarding an animal in my care I would be reluctant to place it back with the people who brought it to the attention of the folks making the threats.

Personally, while it was her right, I think Ellen would have been better off not to mention the name of the rescue. Maybe she didn't realize how vehemently people would react, but this is definitely the sort of thing that would sour someone's attitude towards a prospective adopting family.

How does one spend $3,000 training a four month old puppy anyways?

CathyBogart
10-17-2007, 09:46 AM
I saw this on Dogster and it made me go :eek:

"She got Iggy on September the 20th. She says on her show that the hairdresser had it for two weeks. That is two new homes in less than 1 month."

So if she only had the dog two weeks, what $3,000 training did she have done? and how is a 4 month old puppy supposed to learn how to get along with cats in under 2 weeks?!

Ginger's Mom
10-17-2007, 12:02 PM
I think many of the people on this thread have said the same thing, that the rescue group was just looking out for the best interests of the pup. I just feel that the attorney who is speaking for the rescue has said some unfortunate things. I, and others, were defending their actions. As to how long Ellen had the puppy, how much she paid to "train" it, and whether she was reasonable in her expectations or not, it really doesn't matter. What matters now is, is this rescue making decisions based on the best interests of this dog, or are they just digging in their heels and saying they won't place the dog there because they won't be told what to do by Ellen Degeneres? My hope and assumption, is that Iggy is with whatever foster home had him before so that he is not expected to learn yet another person's rules and habits. But at this point, any decisions as to where this dog should be placed should be made by a third party, looking at all of the options, including placing him back with the hairdresser, not by someone who is emotionally involved.

lizbud
10-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Ellen just mentioned on today's show (Wed) that her name wasnt on the microchip(she was told it would be added). They scanned and didnt show her name thus she cant have the animal back. She was telling the audience to make sure when your pet is microchiped to that you (owners) names on the list.

The story gets more interesting.

I didn't get to see today's show because it was preempted by GWB's
BS news conference. :mad: Missed the entire first half of the show.

Did she comment any more about the rescue group or the dog itself?

I do think the group was wrong to say they only wanted to do a house
visit when their real reason was to take the dog back because they are
po'd with Ellen.

zippy-kat
10-17-2007, 01:51 PM
I have to add my 2 cents into the mix...

My first question was, if the family still wants the dog, why can't they fill out an application for him? Apparently, that was answered by the "no kids under 14" law. Still, I'd apply... what could it hurt?

I commend Ellen on her previous rescues and for trying to rehome this fellow. That said, the excitement of a puppy shouldn't interfere with reading the adoption agreement IN ITS ENTIRETY! And, my goodness, expecting a puppy to change in such a short amount of time?! There had to be more to the story than just a training issue.... maybe Iggy was cat aggressive?

I don't fault the shelter for taking the dog back and/or not allowing an exception; afterall, if they made an exception in this case, they'd have to allow one for all who apply. That said, I think I'd be hiring a new lawyer and/or PR person.... *cringe*

In all of this, I feel most sorry for Iggy. :(

sweetpatata6
10-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Here is a page with a Video (http://news.aol.com/entertainment/television/tv-news-story/ar/_a/agency-to-keep-ellen-degeneres-dog/20071016073409990001) in the middle of her on the show talking about it

JenBKR
10-17-2007, 03:45 PM
I feel bad for the dog and the kids. It sounds like the family really bonded with the dog.

And, my goodness, expecting a puppy to change in such a short amount of time?! There had to be more to the story than just a training issue.... maybe Iggy was cat aggressive?

I heard on the radio that Ellen's cat was being very aggressive towards the dog, and kept attacking him. Don't know if that's true or not, but that was what I heard. I honestly do understand that sometimes when you adopt a pet it is not a good match for the family for whatever reason. I hope that Iggy can find a happy home after all of this - actually, with all of the publicity that he's getting, I imagine there will be people lining up to adopt him.

Pam
10-17-2007, 07:18 PM
my goodness, expecting a puppy to change in such a short amount of time?! There had to be more to the story than just a training issue....

I don't fault the shelter for taking the dog back and/or not allowing an exception; afterall, if they made an exception in this case, they'd have to allow one for all who apply.

In all of this, I feel most sorry for Iggy. :(

Absolutely agree 100%. Ellen did not read the contract. I'm sure she'll be more careful the next time she has a contract placed in front of her. I applaud the rescue group for not backing down. I think we are all sick of seeing celebrities getting special treatment. Personally, I couldn't help but think that Ellen deserved an Emmy for her performance. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong. I occasionally watch her show and think she is very funny. I just smell something fishy with this whole thing. To melt down in front of millions of people over something like this just doesn't add up. I am sure Iggy will have no trouble finding a new home. The publicity has been good for him too. People will probably be lined up for a chance to adopt him. Let's hope the next family reads the contract.

RICHARD
10-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Cesar Milan.

Catty1
10-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Who???

animal_rescue
10-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Cesar Milan.

I second. Long Live Cesar! :D

Craftlady
10-17-2007, 10:06 PM
I heard tonight on one of the cable news stations (a quick news flash), that the dog was placed in another home (adoption).

ramanth
10-17-2007, 10:39 PM
I feel sorry for all the animals at this rescue because this type of attention can't be positive. :( Hopefully they'll be able to continue to find good homes for their animals.

Perhaps the family can just let go and adopt a dog from a different rescue. Lord knows there are plenty of animals that need homes out there.

Giselle
10-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Cesar Milan.
Oh yes, alpha roll the cat :rolleyes:

Ellen broke the a legal binding document. When you break a contract, the animal gets taken back. If this happened to one of us, nobody would care. But now, people are sending DEATH THREATS to a non-profit rescue organization and it makes me sick!! Mutts and Moms have had to inactivate their Petfinder link because of the overwhelming e-mails and such. How does that help the other homeless dogs? How does this fiasco help Iggy?? I just feel so bad for Mutts and Moms. They're just doing what they believe is in the best interest of Iggy, and they receive death threats for it.

Ellen should be ashamed for publicising this shameful lack of judgment on her part. As one wise person once said, "You will only defend something if you know it is wrong." Ellen knew what she did was wrong. That's why she's calling on the masses for defense.

RICHARD
10-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Oh yes, alpha roll the cat :rolleyes:

Do you mean alpha role the cat?

With a Beta down to the Delta? Look out for the Gamma rays.

--------------

Cesar Milan is a spooky guy. This guy absolutely knows dogs-I have learned some things from him....the meter reading guys can come in my yard now! I just tried a few of his methods and they really work.

If anyone can rehabilitate a dog, train a human (his mantra) he would be able to.

------------

This is the power of a TV show.

Like, why not make a large donation to the rescue? Sponsor some dogs? Pay for some neutering? Spaying? Health care in exchange for the dog?

Here is someone that has the "power of the Oprah " to make causes come to the front of the news and she whines about something that could have been avoided because her SO read the fine print and she didn't.

IN typical famous person fashion, They story goes like this, "it don't work for me.....I'll just get it out of my house......Hey, wanna dog?"

sasvermont
10-18-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure who did what to whom, but boy, could I use a break from this story. I hope this situtation has a good ending at some point.

:rolleyes:

Cataholic
10-19-2007, 01:21 PM
There are many of us on here that understand the love between a pet and ourselves, and probably have had situations where WE were bawling like fools, in front of people, behind closed doors, at night into our pillows. Maybe Ellen, despite her star status, is just like one of us? Unable to hold back? Would use any shameless plug to do what WE thought was right at the moment? Heck, I would go so far as to say there are some of us that might WISH we had more power (be it fame or fortune) to make things different in this world. I know I would resort to nearly anything to save an animal from what I thought was a 'wrong' fate. I have cried over the rehoming of a puppy that I have never even met! I have cried over a dog tied up, or, a stray cat that runs across the road.

So Ellen went public? Why shouldn't she have, if she thought it would bring around the results she wanted? SHE wasn't asking for anything for HER. She wasn't asking for the dog back, surely SHE doesn't need a ratings boost (what, a 3 time emmy winner/nominee?). People all day long, and twice on Sunday use their power or influence to achieve a result they want. Why should she be any different? Oh, that's right, cause she is a *star*.

The documents aren't usually binding, once the adoption has taken place. One can't retain ownership of something they have sold or transferred. I don't know why Ellen voluntarily gave up the information. I wouldn't have. Does that mean I am a completely law-avoiding person? Nope, and chances are good if ANY of you have broken so much as a promise, or a law- even a speeding one, you are in the same boat.

Reading a contract? Most people I know do not read their contracts, let alone understand it.

Moms and mutts didn't want to give in to Ellen? They didn't want to make an exception? Okay. Here is an exercise for all of us. How many of us have been in a situation where an exception WAS made, just for us? Candidly? I had rented apartments for many years, and despite a "strict" no pet policy, I had pets in the apartments. The landlord made, eek, an exception for me. Rules are broken every day, exceptions are made every day. Come on. Somehow, if someone is a *star* they don't get special treatment, they get negative treatment from people.

Moms and mutts dug in their heals, and instead of putting the animals' first, they put their own ideals. How sad for the animals they are helping.

A disclaimer- this post is not made directly with anyone else's post in mind, it is a general statment of my opinion (which does not translate into fact, even in my mind). So, please don't cut and paste some section of it into your own post and somehow manage to find offense with something. It is a general post on a public forum.

RICHARD
10-19-2007, 03:42 PM
LOL,

I forgot that there are different rules for different people.

It's a real pi$$er to see someone like that twit Spears be able to turn themselves in to the cops when they want.

Or Orlando Bloom being able to pass in a BAC test after an accident.

-------

I love the line that "documents aren't binding".

Then why bother?

--------

I think that we should make exceptions for everything.

Illegal immigration, collecting airguns and planning Columbine-style attacks- What about the rapper that was buying machine guns and silencers?

I'll have to remember that, should I get parking ticket!

--------

What a great lesson for the kids in the house....

They do not adopt small pets to homes where the kids are under a certain age-but since Ellen knows, us we'll get our way.

The rules don't apply to us or Ellen.

So, when you get older you can break a rule or a law.

Today's kids, Tomorrow's whiners.

lizbud
10-19-2007, 04:41 PM
As one wise person once said, "You will only defend something if you know it is wrong."

I am going along reading all the comments & I read that sentence & stop.

It makes no sense at all. What is this supposed to mean?

Catsnclay
10-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Well I am really confused about all of this!

First, the Mutts & Moms: apparently their contract says that they will not adopt out to children under 14. WHY???? The Humane Society doesn't have a problem with kids.

Does their contract state anything about having other pets? Like cats???? We all know that mixing cats & dogs takes a very LONG time to do, but yet there doesn't seem to be a problem with the cats, only the kids :rolleyes:

We have adopted all of our cats from various places, and NONE of them has ever called us to see how the cat was fitting in.

Sometimes I wonder if these contracts are just for show.......

I also wonder if this whole thing is being played out because it IS a "high profile" person. If this happened to you or me, do you really think they would have burst into our home, police & attorney in tow just to reclaim a dog??????

I think not.......... :( Just give the dog back to the girls that have grown to love & care for him, and get on with life. Ok, so now you got your name & orginazation in the news, you got your 15 minutes of fame, so do the right thing.

End of story.

CathyBogart
10-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Because M&M is NOT the humane society! They are a private organization and they can adopt or not adopt to whomever the choose. The individuals in the rescue pull these dogs from wherever they get them and spend their time, energy, effort, and love getting them ready to be adopted.

Besides (even though this doesn't really matter) their policies only said that they don't adopt TOY breeds out to children under 14. This is not an uncommon rule for rescues to have.

The rescue we adopted Star from still calls periodically (over a decade later) because her foster mom loved her SO MUCH. We're always delighted to hear from her. I think it's a mark of a great woman that she still cares for the dog she invested so much love into.

Iggy is in a FOREVER home now. As Ellen herself said, this is all about the dog, really, and he has been placed.

As for their 15 minutes of fame...does M&M even EXIST anymore? All of their websites are down, they may very well have been driven out of existence.

M&M gave this family the chance to go through the adoption process, and the family refused. They had every right to reclaim THEIR DOG.

RICHARD
10-19-2007, 08:37 PM
This is what cracks me up about the whole story.

People who love pets sometimes take extra special precautions, do not hesitate to spend thousands of dollars to treat and care for them.

They buy them the best food, treats and toys.

But yet we all have a problem with a rescue that takes that extra step to assure the safety and well being of an animal.

Could those same "Humane" groups only care that an animal is spayed/neutered then adopted?

-----------

Like CB just stated-

They are a private organization and they can adopt or not adopt to whomever the choose.

-----------

I can see where any agency would not adopt a small breed of animal to a family with kids under the age of 14.

Had something happened to the dog while in the care of the 'new' family would we be so nonchalant then?

Let's change the story and have Ellen start crying about the dog she adopted, gave away and then was run over because some teen left the gate open?

We'd blame her because she broke the rules of the rescue and she didn't follow the contract.

But, that's the way us pet lovers are. :confused:

The local news played some of the messages left on the M&M website.

I do not blame them for taking down the websites.

Also, Ellen's publicist called the rescue and threatened them with turning the story over to the media if the dog was not returned to the family.

Good going, jackass.

-----------

I am watching the Dog Whisperer and he is getting a dog and cat to live together....

Pretty incredible. :D

Pam
10-20-2007, 04:29 AM
Because M&M is NOT the humane society! They are a private organization and they can adopt or not adopt to whomever the choose.

That's it in a nutshell. It doesn't matter what people think of their contract. The fact remains it is their contract. People don't like it - - they can go elsewhere. God knows there are thousands of homeless dogs in shelters everywhere out there looking for good homes.

dukedogsmom
10-31-2007, 09:56 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/1025072iggy1.html

tikeyas_mom
11-12-2007, 02:06 AM
H0oneslty.. I donot agree with Ellen giving the puppy away to her friends family without confulting the adoption agancy she got the puppy from.. when you sign a legal document saying that you will forever care for the puppy you have to abide by it. She shouldnt have adopted the puppy if she didnt want it.. Her friends could have just adopted a dog if they wanted one. I'm sure this puppy had been tossed from several homes in its life, ended up at the resuce society, and then just got adopted AGAIN by Ellen, and she even gave it away.. I just dont aggree.. I think that the rescue that the dog came from had EVERY right to take the dog back.

IRescue452
11-12-2007, 05:01 AM
Those emails disturb me. They stress "we have nannies". WTH is that supposed to mean!?! Does that mean you won't be taking care of the dog that is supposed to be yours? You'll delegate that to your nannies. Gah, I'd never adopt to those snobs. Sorry, rant.