PDA

View Full Version : How do they know??

Sirrahsim
10-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Boomer is nowhere to be found. I haven't even opened the closet where his cage is stored but he somehow knows that he is going in for his shots today and has gone into hiding :D Is he psychic?? Does he recognize the sound of the word "vet"? :rolleyes: :D

sirrahved
10-16-2007, 11:26 AM
I think they can tell by our mannerisms that something is up. Same thing with medicine time!

Medusa
10-16-2007, 12:12 PM
I do what I can to break routine because when it's time to dispense meds before bed, Yodie and Specs disappear. So rather than do them all at once, I break it up and catch as catch can. Cats are truly psychic creatures and so intelligent. When I had dogs years ago, it all depended on how I said a word; it was my tone of voice that got them going. If I got all excited, no matter what I said, they got excited, too. I could've said "Mom has some poop for ya! Want some poop?!" and they'd jump up and down as if to say "Yeah, yeah, gimme poop. Gimme poop!" But w/cats, I have to actually spell the word "treat" and it doesn't matter what tone of voice I use. If I say certain words, they know and they'll either come running or run off, depending on the word.

critter crazy
10-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Heck, the first time we were going to take Autumn to the vest, she somehow knew and we found her hiding in my sons dresser drawer, hwich was closed! How she knew where we were going is beyond me, same with how she got in the dresser drawer???:rolleyes:

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Open a box with tuna! Boomer won't be able to resist that :p ;)

Taz_Zoee
10-16-2007, 12:51 PM
I know exactly what you are saying. Isn't it weird?? Taz is the same way. As soon as I pick him up he curls up, where as he doesn't do this on any other day if I pick him up.
I think they are mind readers. Or they can sense our stress, because I know it is stressful on me to take either of my "kids" to the vet.

Catsnclay
10-16-2007, 02:06 PM
We don't even use the word 'vet' around the house! :rolleyes:

Yes, I swear all mine, including little Taz, know what the word "vet" means and mine too, curl up real tight in a ball when I go to pick them up.

Funny isn't it?!!

I guess they can understand what we are saying!!!! :eek:

catmandu
10-16-2007, 04:06 PM
I WILL EVER BE AMAZED WHEN ONE CAT HAS TO GO TO THE VETS, ON THE FACT THAT EVERY CATS THERE TO BE PICKED UP AND CARRIED TO THE CARRIER, BUT THE CAT THAT NEEDS MEDICAL TREATMENT.
A SAD THOUGHT, DO THING THINK WITH THE PASSING OF MOOSE, ALMOND ROCCA, SHEMP AND NOW PRECIOUS THAT MY PICKING THEM UP MEAN THAT THEY ARE NEVER COMING BACK?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/cats1011229.jpg
I CERTAINLY HOPE NOT.

orangemm
10-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Boomer, please come out and make it easy (ha) for your meowmie!

Amazing how they just KNOW when it's "that" time.

Kinda scary, if you ask me! ;)

sandragonfly
10-16-2007, 05:24 PM
oh aww boomer...

missy, next time, don't say or even think about it - it works for me, just walk around and pick up the cage like a zombie so they won't know. :D (actually never had one cat hid). :)

Edwina's Secretary
10-16-2007, 05:52 PM
I remember Barbara posting once about taking Filou to the vet. You must clear your mind of any thought or mental picture of the vet...else Boomer will read your mind! Or so she said! :D ;) :D

Sirrahsim
10-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Thankfully he came out and I managed to scoop him up in the middle of his sunbathing. I love that I can open my carrier up from the top or the side because it is SO much easier to get him in through the top.
He got his shots and a physical and looks pretty good. He has gained 1 pound in the past two years which for some reason means that I need to cut back on his food?? If I only gained 1 pound in 2 years I'd throw a party :p :D :D

catfamily
10-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Great news having a healthy checkup.They definetly pick up the vibes when they know it's vet time.
My Colby runs right under the bed at vet time.And I haven't even shown him the carrier yet ;)