PDA

View Full Version : I don't think Marshmallow knows her name...

sirrahved
10-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Marshmallow suffers from MNS (multiple nickname syndrome). People that come over are frequently confused. Most often we call Marshmallow either Chewchew or Bacca, or some form of one of these. People say to me all the time, "I thought her name was Marshmallow?"

While I was laying in bed this morning, I thought I would try out her "real" name. I called it three times. No response. Then I called out Chewchew just once and she came running. I think I have a confused cat on my hands!

We do call her Marsha or shmellow sometimes, but I can't think of a time when we use her full name to her ever. She's only Marshmallow when she's at the vet, meeting someone new, or on the boards!

Please tell me I'm not the only one that has a cat that doesn't know her real name!

sasvermont
10-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Lucy=Fatty, little black girl, LucyLu, spoiled brat

Chloe=cry baby

JuniRose= Juni get down, droolie face

Medusa
10-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Puddy is Shnorky and Woobly which I call her more often than not but if I call her Puddy, she comes. I think they can be just like people and prefer a certain name over others.

Fuzzybuns
10-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Maybe it's the audible difference in the names...ChewChew is a sharper sound compared to Marshmellow.
I think some animals prefer certain names, it sounds wierd but why not? I prefer Misty over my given name of Melissa.

Toby knows his name I think, because he turns his head and looks straight at me when I say it. He doesn't come to me until I call him Bubby though.

Dixie Doodle is always called DooDoo and she totally ignores me until I call her Doodlebutt, lol. You'd think I'd get a clue...

Churchy doesn't care but I think deep down inside he prefers Georgy Porgy because he starts talking (telling me loooong stories) up a storm then.

I don't think them knowing their real name is that much of an issue. As long as they have a constant name for doctor files and whatnot, I wouldn't worry about it.

kuhio98
10-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Pepper knows her name is Pepper. But she also knows that when we call her by that name, she's most likely in trouble.

When she's not being nawtee, she responds to Pep-Cat, Pepperoni, Pea Pod and Pepper Pea Pod Pie.

Marshmallow probably knows her name, but she's letting you know she prefers ChewChew. :D

catmandu
10-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Kuhio 98 Is Purrfectly Right.
The Lucky Found Cats Know My Treat Voice, And The Who Knocked This On The Floor Now Voice.
Kitten Trio!!!!!!
Shes Such A Dear Sweet Cat And A Rose By Any Other Name Is Still As Sweet, And So Is Marshmallow.

Craftlady
10-16-2007, 10:35 AM
SKinny - also comes to "Skinny Cat"

Cindy - also comes to "Little Cat or Cindy Lou"

Eleanor and Stephen dont have nicknames.

krazyaboutkatz
10-16-2007, 11:46 AM
She probably just perfers her nickname to her real name.:)

Starr has many nicknames and he knows his name is Starr but I also call him Peepers a lot so he loves this one too. I also sometimes call him Poopers, Little Boy,Chubbers, Mr. Poopoopy Doo,and Baby Boy. I talk to him in a high pitched baby voice and he loves it.:)

Storm knows his name but has selective hearing. I also call him Big Blue, Stormy Storm,and Jelly Face.

Sunny is Baby Sun,and Sunzy.

Sky is Fluffy Sky and Bush Babyand if I try to call him Herman which was his name until I changed it, he won't even look at me. He hates that name.

Pearl is Pearly Girl or Pearly Butt, Missy Mam, and Little Girl.

Ziggy Stardust is Ziggy, Ziggy The Piggy, Big Girl, Bush Baby, and Baby Girl.

Pawla
10-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Squeak is most often Squeaky Puss, but her name started out as Lucy. After a few days we realized that Squeak better suited her, so we changed her name.

Ellie had many names. El, Wild Man, El from H#**, and one that we called him due to the fact that he mated with his blanket on a daily basis, which I won't reveal here. ;)

It doesn't matter what we call them as long as they know they're loved. I don't think there would be that question with anyone here on PT. :)

Freedom
10-16-2007, 01:38 PM
It's a good thing for YOU that the nicknames she responds to are "polite!" :D

RedHedd
10-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Mitzi is Mitty, itty-bitty-pretty-kitty, Buddha or most often lately Buddy (pronounced more like Boo-Dee) or Boo'd (she's kinda round and often sits in a pose that makes her look like a little furry Buddha) :D She most often responds to Mitzi, but she's come running to anything else I call out, especially if treats or food is involved. I think she responds more to tone of voice, rather than what's being said.

columbine
10-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Smudge will "answer" (thump his tail) to Poofles, Smoofapoof, Sweetie-kitty, and I Love You. Just about anything, really. But the crinkling of a bag of treats will bring him running!

Love, Columbine

KittyGurl
10-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Snow has tons of nicknames. Here are some: Snowy, Snowball, Snowbelle, Snowmobile and Miss Snow.

Angel is just Angel. She doesn't really have nickname except I call her Baby sometimes.