PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Help The Feral Cats....UPDATE.....LOOK WHAT I GOT!! PICS INCL.

Reachoutrescue
10-13-2007, 02:01 PM
I again everybody. There has been an outbreak in my neighborhood of stray cats. There has been this one mama around my house for a while and I have gotten pretty close to her, but she is very mean. Last week I saw about 10 kittens in a yard about 4 houses down. They look about 12 wks old. Nice sized kits. Last night there were four kittens and the mom on my porch...so I decided to try to trap them and get them fixed and vaccinated. The mom is too mean to adopt out so I will just let her go when she is done, but the kittens I will try to domesticate them and adopt them out. I set out two live traps last night with a small amount of canned food in them. One cage was not closed, some how they managed to get the food but not trip the trap. The other trap caught mama. I will take her in on Monday to be spayed and vaccinated as well as ear tipped. I am going to set up the traps again tonight in hopes to get a couple of babies. Here are two pics of the mom. She is really feral but very pretty.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/AsstRescPics013.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/AsstRescPics012.jpg

catmandu
10-13-2007, 03:46 PM
MY GOODNESS SHE IS A PRETTY CAT.
WHAT A SHAME IT IS THAT THERE ARE SO MANY PETS RUNNING AROUND COLD AND HUNGRY WHEN THEY SHOULD HAVE GOOD HOMES.
BUT IN A SOCIETY WHERE CHILDREN ARE OFTEN ABUSED AND MISTREATED , WHAT CHANCE DO THESE POOR CREATURES HAVE?
THIS REMINDS ME OF WHEN I HAD A HUMANE TRAP OUT FOR POUNCER ROCCALNO, AND EVERY NIGHT A DIFFERENT POOR SCARED FACE WAS THERE.
BLESS YOU FOR CARING AND HELPING BREAK THE CHAIN OF UNWANTED KITTENS.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/cats1011222.jpg
BO BO AND I SALUTE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Freedom
10-13-2007, 03:52 PM
OH! She looks quite like my Cuddles! Hi Sweetie!

There are kitten traps as well. They are smaller and more importantly, need less weight to trigger the door. When I do TNR, I have some of each.

At 12 weeks, it will be a bit of a challenge to tame the babies, so you are getting in at the last moment. We usually try to get them at 5 weeks or so. Here is a link, the last essay under "Kittens" is tips on socializing. May be of interest to you. The hardest part (for me anyways) is that you need to separate them.

http://www.alleycat.org/resources_care.html#10

Bless you for caring about these kitties!

Medusa
10-13-2007, 04:55 PM
She has a Puddy expression on her face if I ever saw one. How cute!

Pete
10-13-2007, 08:48 PM
My wife and I contribute to a fund at our no-kill animal rescue unit that helps trap feral cats at apartment complexes throughout the city. The apartment owners trap them, especially with their kittens, and bring them to us..We spay/neuter them and socialize the kittens. The adults which cannot be socialized are sent back to the apartments where they were found. Many times it is the only home they know as they were abandoned there by people moving. The apartment owners have their maintenance people get cat food from us and then feed them there. A lot of new apartment lessee's also feed them. The kittens are adopted out to good homes. We even have people that goes to the kittys prospective homes to inspect it and make sure it's ok.

kimlovescats
10-13-2007, 10:32 PM
What a beautiful girl! So sad that she is so scared! :(

Pete, welcome to PT! Your wife and you are doing a wonderful service! Thanks for sharing that with us!

Kim

Reachoutrescue
10-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Freedom -- Thank you for the link...it is very helpful

Pete -- Welcome to PT...and great job with the stray kits....you and your wife are angels for caring for these poor babies. It is good to know so many people care about their well being.

Well, I set up two more traps earlier today and around 7:15...look what I got......

Lil' Boy (sorry it's blurry...he moved)
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/AsstRescPics019.jpg

Lil' Boy...so sweet
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/AsstRescPics017.jpg

The family reunited....
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/AsstRescPics014.jpg

I know there are at least 4 more babies out there. I was worried that they were not mama's babies, but as soon as we set the trap on the table next to her she tried getting to them. We placed mama in a small dog cage with litter box, food, and water (and a blanket of course). She is not as feral as I thought. Dave and I were able to pet her, flea treat her, and deworm her. We are not sure how she would be if we picked her up, so we just put the trap inside the door of the cage and let her relocate to the cage. The kittens are actually really sweet, as you can see. They are very scared, but do not mind human contact. I dewormed them and flea treated them as well. For tonight they will stay in my garage. I want to be sure the fleas are dead before I bring them in the house. I will bring them in tomorrow and put the family in a larger cage. Paws does not take in ferals for surgery on Sundays or Mondays, so they will go in on Tuesday morning for surgery, shots, chipping, and testing. We are going to work with all three of them in hopes we can make them fully trust people and them adopt them out.

I have reset the traps. I am hoping the morning brings fresh faces to get off the street. I will post more as soon as I can. :)

Catty1
10-13-2007, 11:01 PM
OH, they are so beautiful! Good news about Momcat maybe being a little more social that was thought.

The orangie reminds me of lvpets2002 Bump TeeBoo and Skid.

The black guy - how handsome! And those whiskers!

Way to go - I hope you get the whole family. :)

fragrancehound
10-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Look at those eyes on all 3 of them! Simply precious. :)

jennielynn1970
10-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Oh those sweet faces!! The momma just breaks my heart. Hope she will allow herself to be socialized. The tuxie boy is a heart throb! So handsome!! He should get snatched up in a jiffy!

krazyaboutkatz
10-14-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm glad that you've been able to trap the mother and 2 of her babies. All 3 are adorable and hopefully they'll all be able to find new loving forever homes.:) Good luck with trapping the other kittens.:)

moosmom
10-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Great job!!

One suggestion though. Since Mama is quite feral, you might want to consider separating the kittens from the mama, in an effort to socialize them. They're old enough to be away from Mama.

Just a thought. They're beautiful!!!

kimlovescats
10-14-2007, 01:40 PM
What wonderful news! I am so happy that mama is less feral and just very scared! Keep working with her and pet her every chance you get! I agree that it would probably be best to separate the kittens from her. If they sense that she is scared, then they will be as well!

Kim

K & L
10-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Woo Hoo!!! Job well done and good luck on capturing the remainder kittens. You're my hero!

momcat
10-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Bless you and thank you very much for helping this beautiful kitty family. Mommycat has gorgeous markings and the babies are beyond adorable. I'm wondering if mommycat seemed so mean because she was separated from her babies?

orangemm
10-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Yes, bless you for doing all of this for the mama and babies; mama looks scared to death, poor darling.

Those babies are so cute. Their little faces and eyes say it all, don't they?

Another family saved by an angel.

Please keep us updated!

Reachoutrescue
10-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Thank you everybody. I actually trapped two other kittens two days ago. One was all orange and while trying to give him flea treatment he bit Dave (not bad, just a small mark) and jumped out of my arms and ran off. I have seen him around but no luck trapping him. He is staying far away from those shiney things! The other kitten looks just like the black and white one, but is very scared and won't let me pick him up. I have not snapped pictures of him yet, but he is a boy and is very very cute. He is still with his mama cause he is so scared, I thought it might help him relax a little. I seperated the other two and they are doing very well. The little black and white one is more relaxed and friendly than the little orange and white one. That one will need some work. We have named the lil orange and white one Pumpkin and the black and white one Sox. The new orange and white one is not named yet and mama's name is Cali (for calico how original am I). If anybody has suggestions on names for the new guy, please pass them a long once I post pictures. Thanks everybody for your nice comments. I will post again soon.

cassiesmom
10-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Ohhh, Tracy! What a beautiful family! I agree with momcat - I wonder if Cali was just scared because she knew her kittens were apart from her. She reminds me of Catmandu's Precious. They are gorgeous. If I had a gi-mongous house I would take all three of them so they could stay together. Bless you for the work you're doing!

Catty1
10-18-2007, 10:08 PM
I hope you get #4 baby again....maybe his mom and sibs out in the yard(in the cage) would help???

Katjaye
10-19-2007, 01:39 AM
They are all just adorable! Even though they don't know it yet...they are going to be so thankful they met you! Wonderful job and good luck!