PDA

View Full Version : Possible UTI??

Jods
10-12-2007, 10:04 PM
So back a bit ago I took Mercedes to the vet because she was having some sort of discharge coming from down there :eek: So they put her on these meds I don't know the name, but it was large green pills. twice a day. So it seemed to slow down, but it never fully went away so back to the vets we went. So this vet (bunch of different vets in one building luck of the draw who you get) didn't think it was what the guy had written down on her file he thinks its something else. So he puts her on 3 weeks of a heavy dose of Clavamox (sp) to see if that will help. He seemed confused because he said she's spayed if she wasn't it be easier to figure it out :confused: And the weighed her and she's gained 4 lbs since her last visit!! :D As some of you know we;ve always been struggling with her weight shes such a skinny dog, altho the vet says shes fine I say she could gain a few more lbs! But he said it wouldn't hurt for her to gain a bit either so he suggested giving her large breed puppy mixed with her adult food. So I have to get me some of that. So crossing my fingers that these new meds work. Oh and she has two black moles on her I asked the last vet about and he said they are fine, we'll this vet says we shoudl remove them if they get any bigger, btu with a dane only living average 7 yrs and her being 6 it could be risky :( So we'll play that one by year and I'll watch them that they don't get bigger.

Gomer is also doing well, he spends all his time at the cottage with my parents (he's their dog) I miss him soooooooo much since I moved out, I beg my parents all the time to let me have him, but they love him too much. :( Oh well at least he's happy.

Freedom
10-12-2007, 10:57 PM
I hope this is what works for Mercedes!

Is there a vet in the group you prefer? When you call for an appt., can't you make it with the vet you want? I go to one clinic with 4 vets and I tell them who I want the visit with. As long as it's not an emergency visit, I can usually get in within a day or 2. Typically, one of th epets has a major clamaity the day everyone is off except the ONE doc I don't really like. :rolleyes:

Let's see some pics of Mercedes!

Catlady711
10-14-2007, 01:52 AM
I'm guessing the 'big green pills' might have been Cephalexin 500 mg because ours are that color, but I could be wrong on that. If it is that is a common antibiotic to use.

The Clavamox is a bit more powerful of an antibiotic and is used to treat a bit different type of infection.

I'm guessing the vet that said if she wasn't spayed it would be easier would have been thinking Pyrometra (infection of the uterus) but since she's spayed that couldn't be what it is. I'm guessing that's why the first dose of antibiotics didn't help because they are somewhat guessing what type of infection it is without having a culture done which takes days to get results from.

As for the mole, it is more risky in older dogs to do surgery. Usually with older or sickly animals you have to weigh the risk of surgery vs the risk of doing nothing. Some moles are harmless some could be various forms of cancer from non aggressive to aggressive. Usually fast growth is an indicator of a cancer and would be more likely to be removed. No growth could mean it's just a mole, non cancerous growth or even a non aggressive localized cancer. Basically both vets meant the same thing they just said it differently. I think they both meant that as long as the mole stays the same size not to worry about it, but if it grows they may need to reevaluate the situation.

Just my two cents worth of unsolicited opinon. lol ;)

Jods
10-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks! yeah I \'ll keep an eye on thsoe moles. The dr said something about since its a black mole its more of a worry?? :confused: Hope it stays the way it is!

Catlady711
10-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks! yeah I \'ll keep an eye on thsoe moles. The dr said something about since its a black mole its more of a worry?? :confused: Hope it stays the way it is!

I guess the color of it seems to be important but location also means something too. I know my boss (the head vet) seems to be more concerned about black moles on the eyelids. We've taken off alot of them at work and many times they are a type of cancer, but not always, even when two bumps look similar in color or location they still may or may not be something to worry over. Seems like the ones that grow fast are the ones that come back from the lab as being a type of cancer.

I'm sure they've made a note on your file to check them anytime you come in for a visit to monitor them. As long as you are keeping watch on them and get your dog in for a recheck if they grow between visits you'll probably be fine.

I hope they don't grow either and are no more than a minor color imperfection to cause no problems.