PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Drunk Driving

ramanth
10-12-2007, 12:50 AM
I work until 1 a.m. and as such am on the road at that ungodly late hour. Tonight I was nearly run off the road by what I suspect was a drunk driver. :mad: :mad:

I saw headlights swerving in my rear view. I slowed down and got as far over as I dared and anxiously waited for them to pass me. Nearly swapped paint but I anticipated it (happy I was paying attention!) and then I watched as the car drove down the center of the highway and swayed from lane to lane and onto the shoulder several times. I expected them to drive right off the road but they barrelled on. I wish I got the $@%&!! plate.

My question is.... Would the police want me calling in for a suspected drunk or do they have better things to do? Or is it a fruitless call since there is no way to know where the person is going (unless I follow them)?

Do State/County Police have a non emergency number?

I prefer not to be on the phone while driving, but if it's of the opinion that I should report it, then I'll start (as long as I can get a decent description of the car & plate number).

I'm just so riled right now... gonna take some time to get to sleep. :(

chocolatepuppy
10-12-2007, 05:21 AM
In the little town I live in it would be just as quick to call the non emergency number to get the police out looking for the driver. Not having the plate number isn't that important if you have a good description of the car and where it was headed. I'm glad you're ok.

Cinder & Smoke
10-12-2007, 05:51 AM
MOST Law Enforcement Agencies consider erratic drivers to be "Life Threatening Emergencies"
and therefore proper to be reported on a 9-1-1 line - and they WILL attempt to
intercept and further observe the erratic driver.

And DON'T try to "follow" a high-speed vehicle or worry about the License Number -
the more important reporting issues are exactly WHERE you are (location)
and the Direction the erratic driver is heading; a good description of the erratic vehicle
is helpful - but not exactly required - they'll be looking for ANY vehicle acting strangely near
the area you've alerted them to.

Another "advantage" of calling 9-1-1 is that 9-1-1 centers have good communication with
adjacent communities - and can frequently alert multiple departments to be on the lookout for
the erratic driver - you get more bang for ONE phone call! ;)

Pam
10-12-2007, 05:52 AM
I followed (at a safe distance) a drunk driver several years ago before cell phones. I was wishing I had a way to alert the police because he was weaving all over the road and anyone coming along in the opposite direction would have been hit head on. He finally veered all the way over to the other side of the road into a clump of trees. The car stayed there so I imagine he was probably going to sleep it off. You betcha I would have called if I had a cell phone though. He was an accident waiting to happen and could have very well caused the death of innocent people. I am glad you are OK Kimmie.

Ginger's Mom
10-12-2007, 06:02 AM
Yes, you should definitely call the police if you see a drunk driver, they do not have "better things to do," as this is taken very seriously. They will send someone out to check the area, and hopefully someone else will also call so they have an idea of what direction the person is heading in. I am glad to hear that you were able to safely get out of this person's way. I hope he made it home without injuring anyone.

pitc9
10-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Once I was behind a drunk driver and called 911, I told them where was and they asked me to keep them in site as I stayed on the phone with the dispatcher. As the cop got close to me they asked me to turn on my 4 way flashers so it was easier for them to find me. The cop came up behind me and turned his flashers on and the dispatcher told me to move over so the cop could pull behind the drunk. JUST as I was moving out of the way, the car quickly tried getting off at an exit (I assumed they spotted the cops lights) but they missed the road and drove through the grass and took out the HUUGE sign for the exit!!! :eek:

I must admit, it was kind of neat, I felt like I was some cop show.
All I needed was the Bad Boys, Bad Boys what-cha gonna do.... playing in the back!! :D

Kimmy, I'm so glad he didn't hit you and that you had time to get out of his way. The way I look at it is that the police can't be everywhere all the time, and they can't see all the drunk drivers. So yes, I would call on a drunk driver. (again)

mina'smomma
10-12-2007, 07:44 AM
I use to work for a Sheriff's Dept. and the deputies actually like it when you call in when there is someone who is drunk driving. They use to tell me that people who did that was like having a second set of eyes on the road. One even said that it helped catch those who were thinking they could get away with it.

cyber-sibes
10-12-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm glad you're alright, you could have wound up dead.
I would most definitley call.

From the MADD site: (In 2006) 17,602 people were killed in alcohol-related crashes - an average of one every half-hour.*Drunk drivers were involved in 13,470 fatalities in 2006. *(those at or above an illegal BAC of .08)

The saddest thing is that usually the people that get hurt are total strangers to the drunk, they just happened to be in the drunk's path of destruction- and their lives are ruined. My friend's brother was hit by a drunk & was in a coma for a week, with 11 head fractures & a shattered jaw, multiple broken bones, & now has steel plates in his head and permanent brain damage-- and is still is trying to work to support 3 children. He will never regain all he has lost. :(

Angie - cool! :cool:

Cincy'sMom
10-12-2007, 09:09 AM
That's scary! Glad you didn't get hit or hurt in all that!

I don't know if it is still around, but there used to be a number to call when you saw a suspected Drunk Driver. I think it was 1-800-GRAB-DUI. I think patrol cards had it on bumper stickers. Don't know if it was nationwide, or just in our area, but yes, I think I would call someone. Maybe 911 since I don't have a non-emergency number in my cell phone?

BitsyNaceyDog
10-12-2007, 09:14 AM
I think it's very important to call the police when you see something wrong- especially a drunk driver. Even if the driver wasn't drunk something was wrong for him to be driving so poorly.

It actually surprises me how many people turn their heads the other way and don't do anything. Once while driving down a busy highway Justin and I saw a car on the side of the road completely engulfed in flames, we called 911 and they had no idea about the car, no one had yet reported it. Justin and I pulled into a gas station nearby and waited until we saw the fire trucks arrive. I've also called (a non-emergency number) twice to report loose cows walking in the road. Both times they were on semi-busy roads, but thankfully not highways.

CathyBogart
10-12-2007, 09:19 AM
To me, drunk driving is attempted murder. I call 911.

ramanth
10-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks guys.

I feel horrible for not calling last night. I pray no one was hurt and the person just slept it off.

I suck at recognizing most car models during the day so at night it's especially hard. I also have this fear about calling 911. I'm so afraid I'm going to get in trouble for something that may not be viewed as a life threatening emergency.

I'll be looking into a non emergency number or maybe take a trip down to the local station and ask them. :)

KBlaix, I once called in an accident and the operator snapped at me that they were already taking care of it. I realize she must of just been having a bad day, but it sure didn't help my fear of calling 911. In an age of cell phones I bet most assume someone else will call and take care of it.

mina'smomma
10-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys.

I feel horrible for not calling last night. I pray no one was hurt and the person just slept it off.

I suck at recognizing most car models during the day so at night it's especially hard. I also have this fear about calling 911. I'm so afraid I'm going to get in trouble for something that may not be viewed as a life threatening emergency.

I'll be looking into a non emergency number or maybe take a trip down to the local station and ask them. :)

KBlaix, I once called in an accident and the operator snapped at me that they were already taking care of it. I realize she must of just been having a bad day, but it sure didn't help my fear of calling 911. In an age of cell phones I bet most assume someone else will call and take care of it.

I don't know how your county views drunk driving, but here in Clare County we view it as a life or death situation. We even lost a deputy because the guy was drunk driving and driving down the wrong side of the expressway. He had a headon collision with the deputy. He was so drunk that not only did he not realize he was going the wrong way he was also driving without headlights on. Because of him not only did he take his life, but he killed the deputy and left three little girls with no daddy.

AbbyMom
10-12-2007, 10:16 AM
I'll be looking into a non emergency number or maybe take a trip down to the local station and ask them.

Please do ask your local police. Here in the Chicago suburbs, we are always to call 911 for everything. Even to report a stray cat.

We are NOT to call the police on a local phone for anything that requires dispatching.

Edited to add: Please do call 911 the next time. I've wondered about this myself and now I'm resolved to do it.

Catty1
10-12-2007, 10:40 AM
I called once because of an erratic driver - except the poor guy seemed to keep falling asleep at the wheel!

911 here will put me through immediately to whatever police detachment I request - Calgary, Cochrane RCMP, etc

Used it too one winter when someone's car slid into the ditch medium between the two sets of lanes on the #1 just past Banff.

It was dark and cold - and there was some traffic...but not much.

The guy was standing outside his car and may have had a cell...but I didn't see any sign of it.

I totally use 911 for drunk drivers - and anything else like that.

I wonder, for all the dangers of using cells while driving, how many lives they have saved?

smokey the elder
10-12-2007, 12:05 PM
I would call 911 and report (after pulling over to the side of the road) and try to give a landmark or mile marker. DUI is not something to mess with.

lizbud
10-12-2007, 04:44 PM
I think that situation should be reported as soon as you can. I don't
carry a cell phone, so I'd have to stop to call. I think you are mature
enought to know what's an emergency, and what isn't. :)

Maybe the 911 operator was snappy because she had a heck of a day
and was just stressed out.Doesn't excuse her behavior,but might explain
it.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm so glad you started this thread, it's just a good reminder to everyone that drunk driving is serious. Even getting behind the wheel of a car after one drink can be very dangerous.

Two years ago Justin and I were hit by a drunk driver. We were very blessed as neither of us were hurt. The lady was so drunk that she fell onto the ground when she was trying to get out of the car, she couldn't stand at all. (She wasn't injured at all, just totally drunk.)