PDA

View Full Version : Crock Pot Recipes?

gini
10-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Does anyone have any really yummy crock pot recipes?

I love the idea of putting everything in the crock pot - letting it simmer all day and VOILA! - dinner is ready - all you have to do is add a salad and you are done! And then there are leftovers too!

Logan
10-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I have a few good ones. I'll try and post some later tonight, Gini. Only problem is that they usually feed a ton of people and might not be practical for just one person, or even 2.

Karen
10-11-2007, 04:21 PM
But usually, once cooked, the food is freezable in individual portions, right?

Sadly, lots of the slow-cooker foods I used to eat are ones I am now allergic to, so no recipes handy, sorry. Pester Lady's Human ...

slick
10-11-2007, 05:11 PM
I have not used my crockpot in years. I have a couple of recipe books I can send you....or if you want some recipes right away, try googling.
Google is my friend. :cool:

DrKym
10-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Fast one to do as you can use the 4 hour cycle if you wish or I use the 10 if the chicken is frozen.................

pour in one cup water, half a cup of red wine (use the purple grape juice if you prefer) add several ( i use 6 here) chicken leg quarters top with quartered potatoes then baby carrots then sliced onions (we like them so i usually use 3) add salt pepper garlic and a bit of lemon pepper put the lid on and TADA!

I usually serve this with a salad or with applesauce depending on the boys moods.

Marigold2
10-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Chili is always good as is spagetti and roast.

To make a roast I add one package of Lipton Onion Flavor Mix. Fill crock half full of water. Some A1 sauce, onions, celery, peppers, potaotes, carrots, black pepper, garlic powder and then simmer for about 6 hours. I do make sure everything is covered with water.

There are tons of good cook books at the library that can help. Have fun and eat well.

AmberLee
10-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Here's a Weight Watchers crock-pot recipe I love (although I've forgotten the point count... :o )

~ 1 1/2 punds of chicken. I prefer boneless, skinless thighs, but as you prefer ...

Slice one onion into thin slices.

1/2 cup of catsup

12 oz. of diet coke/pepsi

Dried onions

Parsley flakes to taste

Sliced mushrooms, to taste

~~~~
Okay. Put the chicken in the crock pot. Add sliced mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle with parley flakes and dried onions*. Pour the catsup over the items. Pour soda over all. Cover and cook for 8 hours. At the end, the soda and catsup should (famous last words) have cooked into a tomato based barbeque like sauce. I usually have to either cook the sauce a bit more by itself on the stove with a pinch of corn starch or flour to thicken it, or say the heck with it and eat it sloppy (my usual mode). It's _very_ yummy.

* I add the dried onions to help thicken the sauce a bit more, it's usually too runny when I make it. But I like it anyway.

slick
10-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Dr G and Amberlee:

Those recipes down divine and I'm going to try them very soon...perhaps this weekend. Amberlee, I have all the ingredients for yours and Dr. G, I just need to go and buy the baby carrots and the wine :D and I can try yours.

PS: I now keep Diet Coke on hand because a certain Pet Talker....won't name names.....**whistles**......has turned me on to Rum and Coke with a touch of fresh lemon. ;)

gini
10-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the recipes.............the reason I came here is I figured that if you had a recipe you had already tried it and loved it.

There are so many crock pot recipes online - and a lot of them seem to call for an unusual amount of liquid. With the lid on - that liquid doesn't cook down.

Amberlee and Dr. G and Logan, thanks - it just seems like crock pot weather to me.

RICHARD
10-12-2007, 02:14 AM
DO NOT BUY ANY OF THE PREPPED FROZEN MEALS.

I made one once.......I took two bites of it and tried to give the rest to the dogs.

They would not touch it. It's one of those things that make me want to toss my cookies just thinking about it.

Ginger's Mom
10-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Hmm, AmberLee, I think I may have to try that one. I have a Fix-It and Forget It Cookbook, and try to find one new crockpot recipe every month. Here is one of my favorites from the book.
Chicken Parmigiana
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
2 Tablespoons butter
14 oz jar of pizza sauce
6 slices mozzeralla cheese
grated parmesan cheese
Beat egg and seasonings together, dip chicken to coat, and then coat in bread crumbs. Saute chicken in butter.
Put pizza sauce in slow cooker, pour pizza sauce over chicken, and cook 6-8 hours on low. Layer mozzarella cheese over top and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Cook an additional 15 minutes.

That same book also have a fabulous Sweet and Sour Pork recipe. I have really been enjoying this book.

AmberLee
10-13-2007, 01:57 AM
Yum, some of these really sound GREAT!

Cincy'sMom
10-13-2007, 10:57 AM
These are from my Betty Crocker Crock Pot cookbook.

The frist is actually for Pork chops, but I think I have used it for Pork Roast.

6 boneless Pork chops
1 cup cranberry-orange sauce
1/2 c. seedless red raspberry preserves
1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

In 1 3.5 or 4 qt. crock cooker place pork

For sauce, in small bowl combine, cranberry sauce, raspebbery preserves, tapioca, lemon peel and cardamom. Pour over meat.

Cover. Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 3.5-4 hours.

This is more for a party...Sausage Pizza Dip

1 lb bulk Italian sausage
1 sm onion, chopped
2 gloves garlic, minced

1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 7 1/2 oz can tomatoes, cut up
1/2 of a 6 oz can tomoato paste
2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons basil
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

1/2 c chopped olvies
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

In large skillet cook sausage, onion and garlic til meatis brown and onion is tender; drain

In 3.5 or 4 quart cooker, combine sausage mixture, tomato sauce, undrained tomoatoes, tomoato paste, oregano, basil, sugar, red pepper. Still together. Cover. Cook on low heat 6-8 hours or high heat 3-4 hours.

Stir inolvies. Spkinkle with cheese. Serve with desired dippers (breadsticks, mozzarella sticks, veggies, etc.)

I think when I made that one, I actaully embellish and put more "pizza" toppings in the dip.

Dorothy39
10-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Look what you've started Gini~ Oh my, the above recipes are to die for!!!

We're talking Crock Pot now,as in, allowing to simmer all day long and then~ Voila!!!! ;)

Here's a recipe from MidWest Living ~1999~It's called~ Lisa's Famous Potatoe Soup. :o
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8 cups coursely chopped peeled potatoes (about 5 pounds :eek: ) You can cut back on it, trust me.

1 small onion, chopped(1/3 cup)

1/2 pound sliced bacon, crisp coooked, drained and crumbled.

1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened.

3 141/2 ounce cans reduced sodium chicken broth.

1 10 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup.

1/4 teaspoon pepper.

1. In a 4 qt. electric crockery cooker, stir together the potatoes and onions. Stir in the bacon.

2. In a large mixing bowl,combine the cream cheese, the chicken broth, the cream of chicken soup, and the pepper. Add the mixture to the crock pot.

3. Cover and cook the soup on low hear for 8 to 10 hours , or , on high heat for 4 to 5 hours. Voila!!!!! You can serve it with Brats!!!!! :o

Makes 8 servings!!!!

slick
10-13-2007, 10:09 PM
This is what I cooked tonight.....

Brown 1 cut up chicken and set aside.
In the bottom of the crock pot put in
3 or 4 quartered potatoes (I used the red-skinned ones and left the skin on)
top with a layer of sliced onion
top with the browned chicken pieces

Mix the following together and pour over the chicken:
1 can of coconut milk
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 tsp hot sauce
1 1/2 tsp curry
fennel
cumin
coriander
ground ginger
ground cloves
(not sure how much of the above I added...1/2 tsp I suppose)

Cook on low for 8 hours.

I'm going to serve it with brown rice and I using some liquid from the crock for the rice. I debated cooking the rice because there are potatoes in the crock but what else will I do with all sauce???;)

It won't be ready for another hour and it smells divine. I'll give you a rating later.

Dorothy: I absolutely have to try that one. Thanks.

Catty1
10-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Shoot...I had a crock pot given to me...guess I should use it some time! Will pick some great recipes from here!

shais_mom
12-09-2007, 11:03 PM
I fix soup in my crock pot A LOT!
Chili, vegetable - you name it.
Except Potatoe with the milk in it - burns - ick.

Chicken breasts or Spare Ribs
put in crock pot cover with a bit of ketchup or bbq sauce - your favorite seasonings - and pour a CAN of COCA COLA over it. Cook on lo until cooked thru.

joycenalex
12-10-2007, 09:17 AM
3-4 # pork roast, one can drained sauerkraut, 1/2 thinly sliced onion.
place 1/4 can kraut on bottom of crockpot, place 1/2 onions next layer, then pork roast, cover with onions and kraut. cook on low 4 to 8 hrs. serve with mashed potatoes, a green veg, cranberry-orange relish and enjoy.