PDA

View Full Version : Question on tipping

Ginger's Mom
10-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Anna's thread in the Dog House made me curious. How would you feel if we did away with tipping? What if service occupations were paid an hourly wage like every other occupation, and the service companies (hotels, restaurants, hairdressers, groomers, cab drivers, etc) just added 20% to their prices. Then the extra money is included in the price. No deciding who gets paid what, which service professional deserves more. They would be paid like everyone else. Yes that means that people who don't deserve as much pay as the person working next to them would be getting the same or more, but let's be honest it works that way in any non-service oriented job. So what are your opinions on this?

Sirrahsim
10-11-2007, 11:14 AM
In Japan the tip was always included in the cost of the meal. They told us over and over that you were not supposed to tip off base and that they aren't supposed to accept it even if you choose to. I liked it and I think that it would be nice if we did away with tipping.

sirrahved
10-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I like tipping the way it is. If you are working for a tip you work harder!

slleipnir
10-11-2007, 01:36 PM
I work in a bar, so I work for my tips. As much as I'd love to always get the tip....people just wouldn't care for good service. I see people in wendy's or fastfood that are SO unfriendly. Could it hurt to smile??? I think if they depended on tips, maybe they would try harder to be friendly. Plus, if you're somewhere and you get crap service, you might not tip as much, or anything.

I think in britain that's how they do things though. We had a big group in once and they were very cheap tippers. I think they said it's because where they're from, they don't tip.

cassiesmom
10-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I started going to a new salon for haircuts. They have a policy about gratuities that my old place didn't. My new salon doesn't allow customers to include their gratuity as part of a payment by check or credit card. You can pay for the services that way, but the tip gets paid in cash. I've found that I round up just slightly by tipping in cash from what I would if I were including it on my credit card. I don't especially like the gratuity policy, but I do like the haircut!

BitsyNaceyDog
10-11-2007, 02:07 PM
I started going to a new salon for haircuts. They have a policy about gratuities that my old place didn't. My new salon doesn't allow customers to include their gratuity as part of a payment by check or credit card. You can pay for the services that way, but the tip gets paid in cash. I've found that I round up just slightly by tipping in cash from what I would if I were including it on my credit card. I don't especially like the gratuity policy, but I do like the haircut!
They probably did that because the credit card compay gets a percentage of the tip when you add the tip to the card. We usually try to have cash for tipping when we go out, if we don't we usually tip a little more generously so not to short the person we're tipping.

I think I'd rather not have to tip. I'd rather know that the meal I'm ordering is $15, rather than $12 plus the tip.

Ginger's Mom
10-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Thank you for your answers. They have actually made me think of something else. If people are truly tipping based on service, and not just giving 15% because that is what common practice is, is it too subjective? What is good service? For instance, Audrey said maybe it would get them to smile more and be more friendly. Maybe someone else doesn't really want someone who is going to be smiley and talky, but just wants them to take their order, keep their table clean, glasses filled, and respond quickly to a wave (I came in for dinner not to make a new friend-yes I really am that grumpy :) ). Obviously you can't please everyone, even though you treated both tables the same way, they may feel you deserve a different tip. Is this alright? Is it just a drawback, or benefit, of the job?
Just as a quick funny aside, cassiesmom I just saw your post. I went somewhere new to get my haircut this weekend. The stylist talked non-stop about nothing the whole time she was working on me. I will not be going back to her, but I did tip her well.
ETA: Kari, I agree, I would like to know upfront what it will cost and let the company figure out who should be paid what. Even if they have to charge a little more to do that.

Killearn Kitties
10-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I really could do without the tipping system. I do tip for good service where that is the policy, but I would much prefer that people were just paid a living wage and that was the end of it.

pitc9
10-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm on the fence about this...

Leaving as is:
I like knowing that my server is working for his/her tip. If they do a better than average job I always tip over the average. If they are short with me, rude, or leave me with an empty glass then I'm not going to leave anything extra.

Including tip into wages:
If the tip was included and my server isn't working for a tip then they won't care how long my glass is empty because they know they've already gotten my money.

Catlady711
10-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I really could do without the tipping system. I do tip for good service where that is the policy, but I would much prefer that people were just paid a living wage and that was the end of it.

I totally agree with that. I hate going to places that add a mandatory tip onto your bill regardless of what kind of service you get. I don't go back to places like that again.

G535
10-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Tipping is not required down here and the minimum wage is a decent living wage, if it wasn't there would be no incentive for people to find work.

ramanth
10-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I voted other.

I've heard in other countries servers are paid a decent salary and that tipping is not required but appreciated. It'd be nice if the US did that.

I typically tip 20% unless the service is really bad.

RICHARD
10-11-2007, 05:39 PM
I try to tip well but sometimes have a problem with tip jars at coffee joints.

catnapper
10-11-2007, 08:37 PM
I am one who generally over tips when the service is good. I'm picky and know it, and if my server can keep up with me and go above and beyond their job, they are doubly rewarded with their tip.

I have one Wawa sandwich maker who LOVES me because I raved to her manager about her... I wish I could tip that girl because she makes the BEST sandwiches for me :p and if she didn't already make me great sandwiches, she makes them BETTER since I talked to her manager. I feel bad that I can't tip the Wawa counter people.

A tip should be personal and at the discretion of the person served based on their enjoyment of their service. Its been my experience that every time the tip has been automatic that the service has been less than professional.

K9karen
10-12-2007, 12:34 AM
I voted other.

I've heard in other countries servers are paid a decent salary and that tipping is not required but appreciated. It'd be nice if the US did that.

I typically tip 20% unless the service is really bad.

I agree.

My niece sometimes worked breakfast hours and because of the "specials" barely made anything in tips. She still had to do the same amount of work as she did for lunch or dinner.

No offense to anyone, but some of the best service I had was during my overseas travels. My "extra" tipping was always graciously refused.And it would have been well deserved.

kitten645
10-12-2007, 12:59 AM
I've been told that single women and women in general are poor tippers so I tend to over compensate, However, as a single woman that eats alone on Oocasion I do notice a lesser service. Put in the table by the kitchen. Completely ignored etc etc.

anna_66
10-13-2007, 10:04 AM
What is good service? For instance, Audrey said maybe it would get them to smile more and be more friendly. Maybe someone else doesn't really want someone who is going to be smiley and talky, but just wants them to take their order, keep their table clean, glasses filled, and respond quickly to a wave (I came in for dinner not to make a new friend-yes I really am that grumpy :) ).
I'm glad you've started this thread.
It gets us away from the bitter feelings in the other thread;)

I'd love it if tips were just included and we could be paid an hourly wage. No more guessing what your going to get.

If that's being grumpy, I'm grumpy too:D

If the tip was included and my server isn't working for a tip then they won't care how long my glass is empty because they know they've already gotten my money.
I so don't agree with that Angie. Of course there are servers who are like that and are only there to bring home the money, but then there are others who really care about taking care of their guests...people like me:)

As for the single woman and women in general,
I get just as bad tips from men as I do from women. A lot of times I get better tips from women:D

Pam
10-13-2007, 10:11 AM

I'm in favor of that. Just do away with tips and pay the servers a better hourly wage. As in every occupation there are people who are good workers and people who do only what is necessary to barely get by. I have seen that in every place I have worked. Of course if you are a slacker it will be reflected in your review as the boss undoubtedly notices that as well.

With that thought in mind, it would be nice to do away with tips yet have the ability to *rate your server.* It could be a little comment sheet left on the table when your bill is presented. That way word would get back to the managers as to who is doing a good job and that would be reflected at raise/review time since the boss is not right there receiving the service but would then be aware of who is going above and beyond.

anna_66
10-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Funny you bring up the comment sheet Pam.

Remember when almost all places had comment cards to fill out on the table?

My mom and dad just got back from vacation and stopped at a place that still had them. Mom said she started filling it out even before they were done with their meal.
She said she could tell right away with the way the server was that they were going to get good service:)

Miss Z
10-13-2007, 11:23 AM
I think in britain that's how they do things though. We had a big group in once and they were very cheap tippers. I think they said it's because where they're from, they don't tip.

Precisely. As I said in the other thread, tipping is very culturally based - some places over here even require you NOT to tip because it is insulting!

I don't mind tipping as long as it's a gesture for excellent efforts and not a necessity just because the waiter/ess did their job. :)

It has been interesting, though, to note how it is more common practice to tip across the pond. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future! ;)

Randi
10-13-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree with this.

Ginger's Mom
10-13-2007, 11:33 AM
With that thought in mind, it would be nice to do away with tips yet have the ability to *rate your server.* It could be a little comment sheet left on the table when your bill is presented. That way word would get back to the managers as to who is doing a good job and that would be reflected at raise/review time since the boss is not right there receiving the service but would then be aware of who is going above and beyond.
It's funny you should mention this Pam. I have noticed that it is becoming more common place for chain restaurants (Applebee's, Hard Rock) to have something printed on your receipt indicating that you can go to their website, put in your check number and leave a comment about your dining experience. I very rarely do it, but if the experience is particularly good or poor I would make a point of doing so. And of course this is the answer to giving feedback so the managers know which servers should be given additional benefits after we have done away with tipping (the last line was said tongue in cheek, of course ;) ).

Rachel
10-13-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm in favor of that. Just do away with tips and pay the servers a better hourly wage. As in every occupation there are people who are good workers and people who do only what is necessary to barely get by. I have seen that in every place I have worked. Of course if you are a slacker it will be reflected in your review as the boss undoubtedly notices that as well.

This reflects how I feel as well. Somehow the whole concept of tipping makes me think that these particular businesses expect us to not only *pay* their employees but motivate them too. Well, I didn't get to hire them and don't get to fire them, so please don't expect me to do the other part either. That said, I almost always tip 20% and even the worst service gets a 15% tip because I don't want people handling my food to have any reason to ....well, you know. The whole system makes me irritated to say the least. :mad: :mad: :mad:

lizbud
10-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Well I would vote to upgade all restautant/service job to match minimum federal wage & then tip for good service as an extra bonus per customer.

I really don't eat out if I'm already watching my pennies anyway. :D

cassiesmom
10-13-2007, 04:59 PM
They probably did that because the credit card compay gets a percentage of the tip when you add the tip to the card.

Thank you, I didn't know the credit card company could do that. At the place I used to go, I liked being able to include the tip in my check because I was never really sure how to properly give it to the stylist. At this new salon, the receptionist takes care of that. I just made a note on my appointment card to remember to have cash ready for the tip on the day I go.

My very first haircut after college - now this was 20 years ago and I'd been going to an inexpensive salon as a student. I was getting ready to start my first nursing position, so I went to my mom's salon for a haircut. It cost $25 which was exactly how much money I had with me. I couldn't give a tip! I just remember being so embarrassed and not knowing how to get out of there. The next time my mom went, she turned in my tip with hers.

Freedom
10-13-2007, 06:13 PM
I much preferred when I was travelling in UK and Europe where there is no tipping. The servers make a proper wage. And tips if offered were refused.

Mostly, I tip because it is expected and the person can't survive in that job without tips. I leave little or no tip if there is a problem, but I always make sure the person knows what went wrong.

RICHARD
10-13-2007, 10:12 PM
It's been a while since I had my hair cut.......

LOL, It was a freebie at the Pet Talk BBQ last year! :eek:

I always tip the gal who would cut my hair.

Why?

I am always complimented on my hair.

I HATE TO GET HAIRCUTS!

I have enough problems with my own locks, can you imagine touching other people's hair to make a living?

---------------

My cousin was a hairdresser.

She told us some stories about people who showed up at her salon.

YIKES!

Ginger's Mom
10-14-2007, 06:57 AM
The more I think about it the more I think we should get rid of the practice of tipping and get just have the company pay their employees a decent wage. It would cost poor tippers more (because of course prices would go up) but wouldn't really be much effect on the cost to good tippers.
Does anyone know how/where/when the practice of tipping started?

anna_66
10-14-2007, 07:11 AM
Well I couldn't really find 'when' the practice started, but I did find out some stuff I didn't know while doing the search like where they don't tip, who to tip, and how much to tip...very interesting!

Tip-Wikiedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip)

Catlady711
10-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Well I couldn't really find 'when' the practice started, but I did find out some stuff I didn't know while doing the search like where they don't tip, who to tip, and how much to tip...very interesting!

Tip-Wikiedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip)

That was a very interesting article.

Quotes-

The word originates from the 16th century verb tip, which meant "to give unexpectedly"

In some jurisdictions, tipped workers qualify for a lower statutory minimum wage from the employer, and therefore may supplement deficient pay with tips. For example, the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires restaurant employers to ensure that the total tip income reported to them during any pay period is at least eight percent of their total receipts for that period. If the reported total is below eight percent, employers must allocate as income the difference between the actual tip income reported and eight percent of gross receipts. Therefore the IRS is implicitly assuming the average tip to be eight percent.

Edwina's Secretary
10-14-2007, 12:31 PM
It's been a while since I had my hair cut.......

LOL, It was a freebie at the Pet Talk BBQ last year! :eek:

I always tip the gal who would cut my hair.

Why?

I am always complimented on my hair.

And I am STILL awaiting my tip!

I tip in cash at the nail salon and hair salon (I don't tip the guy who cuts my hair as he is the owner but I do tip if someone else washes or otherwise helps.) I assume credit card tips are accounted for in taxes and cash may not be.

But it does get somewhat silly. I pay $5.00 to get my nails polished....what tip do you give? I watch what others do and $2 seems standard..so that is a 40% tip!

mruffruff
10-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Whenever I go someplace where tipping isn't allowed, I get lousy service.

When I get better-than-adequate service, I like to let the waiter know with an equally better-than-adequate tip.

Some places require that all tips are turned in at the end of shift and divided equally. THAT isn't fair.

I'd like to see minimum wage paid and tipping be at your descretion. It has risen to 20% or $2.00 for a $10 meal. If the service was less than reasonable, I only leave a $1 per $10 charge. Doesn't happen often.

I was a waitress many years ago. Wages were $1.60 per hour and keep your tips. It's a tough job, but the incentive made it worthwhile.