PDA

View Full Version : New kitty...Sort of...Advice?

Chinadoll
08-05-2002, 11:11 AM
My BF(Joey) is getting a kitten. His manager’s cat just had a litter so he’s taking one of the girls. She’s a cute little white and black kitty with blue eyes. She’s about 5 weeks old and he decided to name her Gigi because he says she’s a pretentious little miss. His manager is giving the kitty to him in about another week.

Now, my point…. Until he moves in another month, he would like Gigi to stay with me. Which is fine, but I have 2 concerns… 1) I’d hate to lose the progress I’ve made with Scout. He is finally comfortably with me, as long as I’m not walking around and no one else is around, he is a normal playful always demanding attention kitty. I hope he doesn’t get upset that another kitty is around. He’d still get tons of attention from me. Also, what if he gets very attached to Gigi and she finally moves in with Joey? Am I going to have to deal with a temperamental kitty because he misses his friend? They would still see each other, just not live together.

2) With Gigi coming to live with me for the first few weeks, will she bond more with me? I know cats can be very affectionate with lots of people…but I’d hate for her to get attached to me because I’m the one that will ultimately spend the most time with her, her first few weeks away from her mommy and siblings. I’ve told Joey he needs to spend as much time with her as possible to get her adjusted to her new living arrangements. And of course, there’s always how attached I’ll get to Gigi and will I want to let her go live with him after she spends time with me.

Am I being a worrywart?  Any advice?

NoahsMommy
08-05-2002, 11:19 AM
These are very good questions, and no, you aren't being a worry wart. These are very valid feelings.

We adopted a kitten this weekend and I was so worried (I mean, completely physically worried I was almost in tears) what Noah and Noel would do, more how they would feel having to share us with a new kitten. Noah is great! He loves the new kitten...Scout is a boy? If so, I think you'll be OK. Our girl, Noel, is really unhappy. :(

As far as the bonding, you don't have to worry about that, your BF will..hee hee! :) Just kidding, cats are so adaptable, I wouldn't worry about it. It may be a wierd transition for the kitten, thinking she was kicked out...or maybe that's me projecting my feelings onto the cat. :rolleyes: But....she'll get used to it. Will your BF be spending time at your place to visit? That will help a lot too. :)

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.

Piglet
08-05-2002, 11:25 AM
Hi Chinadoll!
Congratulations with your sort of new kitten! :)
I think Scout will love having a new playmate, especially one that is a bit younger will be easy for him to accept. I do think that 6 weeks is a bit early for a kitten to be seperated from his mother...
It's probably very good for the kitten to spend time with Scout and you and your boyfriend, at this age they are still learning social skills and if there's lots of people and animals around they won't be shy or afraid when they're older..that's about all I know.

All kittens have blue eyes at first, so they might end up being any colour! Black and white kittens often get green eyes, very pretty..:)
You do realise that once you have the kitten in your home it will be extremely hard to give it back to your boyfriend?:D
Good luck!

Chinadoll
08-05-2002, 11:40 AM
Thanks a bunch!!
Yes, Scout is a boy and yes, my BF will spend as much time as possible at my place with Gigi(new kitty).

If 6 weeks is a bit too young, what is a better age? That's when his manager told him they would be ready to go to new homes.

Piglet
08-05-2002, 11:46 AM
About 10 weeks is what I was told, that's why I'm patiently waiting for Teddy :)

Here's an article I found that might help you:

socializing kittens (http://www.purina.com/cats/kittens.asp?article=128)

Chinadoll
08-05-2002, 12:23 PM
Thanks Piglet!

sasvermont
08-05-2002, 12:28 PM
Well, the breeder I use holds the kittens for 16 weeks - although I think that is a bit long. By that time, the Mother WANTS the kittens to GO!

Cats like being the only cat, in most cases. Although they enjoy the companionship of the other cat, they also love being the center of attention.

Advice to you? Well, do what you heart tells you to do. Scout will survive for sure. And hey, you may want to get one of those kittens for yourself.... It is much easier having two cats than one!

Keep us posted.;)

Chinadoll
08-05-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont
Keep us posted.;)

I will :) I'll have tons of pictures(when Scout lets me hve the camera...he thinks it's his new toy!) whenever the new kitty come home. Thanks!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-05-2002, 02:36 PM
I think Scout will be just fine, and it might actually help him relax a little more if he sees the other kitten relaxed in his surroundings. And if you are going to get the kitten at 6 weeks, it would be good for it to have Scout around to help ease him away from his mom and sibs. Much easier to have Scout around then to be thrown into an environment with no other critters at all, then have to spend a lot of time alone while your BF works.

I really think the hardest part will be you having to give her up when the time comes. ;) Also, then Scout might get used to having another kitty around and be heart broken when she leaves, then you'll just have to get another - oh how terrible that would be. ;) :)