PDA

View Full Version : I'm Getting Braces. Help!!

KittyGurl
10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
So yesterday, I went to the dentist and they said I need braces. I asked them if it would hurt and they just said "No, you won't feel a thing." I know they are just saying that because braces sound like they really hurt. Do anyone here ever get braces? Does it hurt?

Karen
10-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Getting the braces themselves doesn't hurt much, especially if you get the kind they just glue on, not the bands that go all the way around. However, be prepared for your mouth being sore while you have braces - the whole goal is moving your teeth around, and that's not gonna be painless! That's more of an ache than a sharp pain. It also depends on your teeth - some peoples' teeth are more sensitive than others!

But it is well worth it in the long run, don't worry!

Almita
10-10-2007, 05:19 PM
It does not hurt, when they glue them onto your teeth. When you get the rubberbands changed, it won't hurt just you will be very sore for a few days to a week. It doesn't hurt, just soreness.

ramanth
10-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Yep, like Karen said, not sharp pain, just a soreness. I had braces and it wasn't that bad. :)

Taz_Zoee
10-10-2007, 06:02 PM
As everyone stated, no pain while getting them on. Only the pain of your teeth moving and then the insides of your mouth from the brackets cutting into them. But they give you wax for that, which I never used...didn't like it. :p
I remember being excited before I got mine on. Then excited again to get them off. I was 14 when I got them on and I asked the doc two questions. If he had answered yes to either of them I wouldn't have gotten braces. I asked if he had to pull teeth and if I had to wear head gear. I got lucky, I guess you could say. LOL

KittyGurl
10-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks everyone. At least it doesn't hurt, guess a little of uncomfort. I feel so much better about this.

i love my piggy
10-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey I had braces on my top teeth. No it does not hurt bad...it is a little sore after they tighten them but it is not that bad. I have to get phase two :( I got really sick after I got them on. :( but my friend just got them a fiew months ago and she had no pain at all. :) don't worry it won't be bad!!! Trust me!!! :D

shais_mom
10-10-2007, 11:28 PM
there's no pain when getting them just a soreness for about a week afterward. you'll have to eat soft foods probably.
course I had them about 20 years ago! :eek:

BC_MoM
10-11-2007, 01:49 AM
I've had braces since last April.

They do hurt - but it's more soreness than pain. The first few weeks of having braces is a perfect time to try to lose any weight you've been wanting to lose!

A few hours after you get them, your mouth will get sore. I suggest eating something before you go to the orthodontist, and then having soup or something soft like macaroni and cheese.

Your gums and the inside of your mouth might get a bit raw and get imprints from the braces for several days - a week or so, but it will go away as your gums toughen up. You can use the wax that is provided, but try going without it for as long as you can to "get used to it".

Each time adjustments are made, your teeth will be sore again for a few days, but usually it's only a few teeth or it's just sore to bite through things like a sandwich.

If your wires start sliding and poking the back of your mouth, let your orthodontist know the next time you go for an adjustment and they will clip them shorter and/or put a stopper on them to prevent it.

Overall, braces are not bad at all. Eventually, you hardly notice them, though! Really!

slleipnir
10-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Mine only were sore. They were a little sensitive for a while, but the more I got them changed, the less sore my teeth were. Eventually it doesn't bother you at all.

sirrahved
10-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I liked having braces. Expanders suck, but that is another story!

Fun things you can do with braces:
Get cool bands when you get your wires changed
Put a staple hooking the top and bottom and see what happens!(This is one of my favorites!)
If you get to have rubberbands these are non-stop enjoyment. Just opening your mouth, flicking them with your tongue, etc.
Brushing your teeth is more fun... you get the groovy toothbrush!
When you are bored you can always play with wax.
Test the myth that if two people with braces kiss they get stuck together.
If you are missing your orthodontist you can always break off a bracket.

Afterwards you get retainers... I can't even begin to tell you where the fun starts with those!

Yes, your teeth will be sore when you get your wires changed. Think like a muscle ache. This only lasts for a day or two.