PDA

View Full Version : Pride dog food?

JenBKR
10-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Hubby and I were chatting with our new neighbors yesterday about our dogs, and the subject of dog food came up. Our neighbors said that they feed their dogs Pride dog food. Has anyone ever heard of this? They said that they pay about $15 for 50 lls. of food, which sounds pretty cheap. I'm just curious about it, thanks!

lvpets2002
10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
:) Yes Jen it is big here in Texas.. Dont mean to sound rude & please dont take it personal.. It is what we call Trash food with Lots of Corn filler.. Dogs will poop it out as fast as they eat it.. Yes its the cheapest of cheapest.. OleRoy or Alpo would even be better than that.. My Dogs get Pedigree Wet & Purina Dry Beneful..

pitc9
10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Here's the website:
http://www.thepridedogfood.com/index.html

And I used the "Grade your dogs food"
and it got an F (60 points)

I personally would not feed it to my dogs.

JenBKR
10-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Geez I did a search for it but didn't find anything.....must have done something wrong haha. :eek: The first ingredient is chicken-by-product. I had a feeling that it wasn't a great food by the price, but I was just curious. We are perfectly happy with Chicken Soup, I wasn't thinking of switching (unless by some miracle I did find a good quality food at that price that would work for him, but I am certainly not expecting that to happen ;) ).

lute
10-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Pride is big around here too. A lot of hunters feed it to their hunting dogs. I don't want to upset anyone that feeds this, but it is CRAP!!! It's definatly cheap for a reason!

flipgirl
10-10-2007, 06:51 PM
lvpets2002, you say Pride is bad but so is Pedigree and Purina Beneful....the former being full of bad preservatives and cheap fillers and the latter being full of artificial colours and pieces of coloured bits to make their food look more like meat.

To the OP, when you are looking for food, look for one where there is at least 2 or three quality proteins in the first three ingredients and there is no corn, wheat or soy. Look for one that is preserved naturally with vitamin E for example, rather than one preserved with BHT or ethyoxquin (sp?). Protein such as turkey, chicken, and salmon are great choices - it can also come in the form of turkey meal, chicken meal or salmon meal - just be sure to avoid meat and bone meal. Also avoid foods that have any by-products. If price is an issue, there's Wellness or Chicken Soup which are good foods but not as highly priced as some of the premium foods out there. I feed my dog Innova - I like it because the first three ingredients are turkey, chicken and chicken meal and they bake the food rather than extrude it. Take a look at the website: www.naturapet.com. THere's also Eagle Pack Chicken and Rice which is for all life stages and they do have different formulas for large breeds as well. Their website is: www.eaglepack.com - you can contact Eagle Pack and they can recommend a food for you. They are also very good at replying to email inquiries.

JenBKR
10-11-2007, 09:52 AM
lvpets2002, you say Pride is bad but so is Pedigree and Purina Beneful....the former being full of bad preservatives and cheap fillers and the latter being full of artificial colours and pieces of coloured bits to make their food look more like meat.

To the OP, when you are looking for food, look for one where there is at least 2 or three quality proteins in the first three ingredients and there is no corn, wheat or soy. Look for one that is preserved naturally with vitamin E for example, rather than one preserved with BHT or ethyoxquin (sp?). Protein such as turkey, chicken, and salmon are great choices - it can also come in the form of turkey meal, chicken meal or salmon meal - just be sure to avoid meat and bone meal. Also avoid foods that have any by-products. If price is an issue, there's Wellness or Chicken Soup which are good foods but not as highly priced as some of the premium foods out there. I feed my dog Innova - I like it because the first three ingredients are turkey, chicken and chicken meal and they bake the food rather than extrude it. Take a look at the website: www.naturapet.com. THere's also Eagle Pack Chicken and Rice which is for all life stages and they do have different formulas for large breeds as well. Their website is: www.eaglepack.com - you can contact Eagle Pack and they can recommend a food for you. They are also very good at replying to email inquiries.

Yes I know, I do feed Chicken soup myself. I had just never heard of Pride - must not be big around here. Thanks everyone!