PDA

View Full Version : Creamsicle and her allergies: Question

Medusa
10-10-2007, 11:03 AM
It seems that little Cgirl has to get a depo shot every 30 days or the skin allergy comes back w/a vengeance. This time she lost almost all the fur on her ears and the top of her head and chest. Dr. Lee said that I could put her on some other food but since I free feed because I'm gone so much, I'd have to put all 7 of my cats on it and I know I'm asking for trouble if I do that. Plus he said that it's terribly expensive. I suppose I could cut back somewhere else if I absolute had to switch foods but they all get along great on Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula. At first I thought it was the treats I was giving them, so I stopped all treats but her scabs came back. Dr. Lee isn't even totally convinced that it is indeed a food allergy so I may have to do testing on her. In the meantime, he's given me liquid Prednisone to give her every other day after the depo shot wears off in 30 days. He doesn't seem to feel that this will hurt her at all. I was on it for quite some time for arthritis and also after my bone grafts to help w/inflammation and aside from weight gain, I didn't really experience any other side effects. Of course, cats are different and that's my concern. That said, I do know the side effects but I'm wondering about long term. Has anyone had their cat on Prednisone for a good length of time and, if so, how did your cat fare? Any help and/or suggestions that you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

lvpets2002
10-10-2007, 12:43 PM
:( Oh my I am so sorry for wittle Creamsicle.. I know it has to be so uncomfortable.. Now I had a dog on that medication.. It only worked for a very sort time for my dog.. Now what worked the best for my dog's allergy skin problems was Generic brand of Benedrel & a Bayor Asprin 2 each twice daily.. Now please please ask your Vet for sure for your wittle one Creamsicle.. Best of Luck & Huggss & Prayers.. Let us know ok..

Freedom
10-10-2007, 05:46 PM
The primary long term effect of prednisone is kidney failure. If humans are on it long term, they have to have blood work twice per year to test kideny function. And to this day I believe that is what did in my Mr. Amber Cat. He was given prednisone for pain relief for fused vertebrae in his back. After 3 years on once per day 5 mg, he developed kidney failure and was gone in 6 months. :(

Bobby was on prednisone for his itching and rash, but I refused to keep him on it. Changed vets, and the n ew vet agreed not to keep a 1 year old on it long term as it will shorten his life. Right now Bobby is taking over the counter Chlor Tri Meton, and wearing an e collar.

Can you keep on the depo shots indefinitely? If so, could you just put an e collar on for the last week or so when it wears off but she can't have the next shot yet? Bobby can't have depo shots, so I don't know a thing about those.

catmandu
10-10-2007, 05:51 PM
The Only Cat That Was My Companion And Had Rashes Was The Late Moose , And His Were Flea Allergy Related. Good Luck With Creamsicle, And We Pray That Those Shots Work Well.

Catlady711
10-10-2007, 06:48 PM
As I recall Purina Indoor Cat Formula has several colors to the foods. We see alot of pets every week come in our hospital with food related allergies, more specifically to the dyes in the foods. Try just switching to the regular Purina Cat Chow with the tan colored crunchies and in a month or two you should notice a change if it's the dyes.

Good luck.

Medusa
10-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Try just switching to the regular Purina Cat Chow with the tan colored crunchies and in a month or two you should notice a change if it's the dyes.

That's what I fed them before I switched to the indoor formula, so it shouldn't be a problem switching back. That would be so wonderful if it turns out to be something that simple. Thanx. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow and I'll post as soon as I see results.

Catlady711
10-10-2007, 10:38 PM
That's what I fed them before I switched to the indoor formula, so it shouldn't be a problem switching back. That would be so wonderful if it turns out to be something that simple. Thanx. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow and I'll post as soon as I see results.

Question is was there an allergy problem when they were still eating the regular Purina? or did it start a few months or longer into making the change to the indoor formula? Allergies can take a few months or up to a year to show up, and about 6-8 weeks to go away once the allergy trigger is removed.

I hope in your case the only issue is the dyes and a food change clears up the problem for you and your kitties.

Also if you are going to do a food trial you have to make sure they get NO other food but the main diet. That means no treats, people food, or other goodies otherwise it's difficult to tell if it's actually the food and not one of the treats causing the problem.

I had to do a 3 month long food trial with Dusty to rule out allergies, turns out in her case it wasn't a food allergy it was stress, and pain from arthritis causing her to overgroom.

Good luck and I hope it works for you.

Medusa
10-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Question is was there an allergy problem when they were still eating the regular Purina? or did it start a few months or longer into making the change to the indoor formula? Allergies can take a few months or up to a year to show up, and about 6-8 weeks to go away once the allergy trigger is removed.

No, there were no allergy problems. That's all I ever fed them, never deviated, until a few months ago when I decided to give them some treats, which I had never done before. So when she got the scabs, I assumed it was the treats and immediately stopped them but it's been several months now and the allergy continues. So I'm going to try going back to regular cat chow and see if that works.

Catlady711
10-11-2007, 04:26 PM
No, there were no allergy problems. That's all I ever fed them, never deviated, until a few months ago when I decided to give them some treats, which I had never done before. So when she got the scabs, I assumed it was the treats and immediately stopped them but it's been several months now and the allergy continues. So I'm going to try going back to regular cat chow and see if that works.

Does kinda sound like the treats may have been the trigger. Although I kinda wonder about seasonal allergies as well, we've been seeing alot of them at work lately.

Hope the food trial does the trick and the scabs and injections are a distant memory. Good luck.