PDA

View Full Version : Vista

Hellow
10-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Ok, as most of you know i will be getting $500 at the end of this month. I have alreadt designed an new computer for myself since my old, duck taped together HP Pavilion xt973 is just not good enough. I will be getting the computer from HP, the cheapest desktop they have, customised to fit my needs by myself. My question is, is Vista an good OS for an computer? I wanted to ask thsi because i wanted some hands - on reviews by people that actually own it.

My new computers specs: (HP a6200T customised)
Operating system Genuine (http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/mda/genuine_landing.html) Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core processor E2140 (1.6GHz)
Memory 2GB DDR2-533MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024)
Graphics Card 64MB NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE, DVI-I, TV-out, VGA adapter
Networking 56Kbps Data/Fax Modem for dial-up Internet access
Hard Drive 160GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive 48x max. CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive (48x32x16x48x)
Front Productivity Ports 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, audio
Sound Card Integrated 5.1 Capable Sound w/ front audio ports
Security Software No additional security software (60-day Norton Internet Security trial)
Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
Keyboard and Mouse HP keyboard and HP scroller mouse
Removable Storage 3.5 in. 1.44MB floppy drive
(the most powerful computer i will have ever owned lol!)

G535
10-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Vista should run ok on that machine as it runs ok on my less powerful machines.

If you haven't already ordered it I would suggest a better video card of 128MB or more and a DVD burner instead of the combo drive.

buttercup132
10-09-2007, 09:27 PM
I think you should get Reggie to the vet and fixed up before you even think of a new computer. It's working, maybe not the greatest but it's working. She might need something more then you think so at least wait, and since your family doesnt have much money maybe you should put the money left over from this vet visit away in case she has another emergency, seeing as every time she gets sick you don't have the money for the vet.

BC_MoM
10-09-2007, 09:34 PM
WHAT? How can you even THINK about a new computer when you have a SICK dog who needs to see a vet ASAP?

That's just disturbing.

You really need to rehome Reggie. You clearly have more "important" priorities than her health.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
I think you should get Reggie to the vet and fixed up before you even think of a new computer. It's working, maybe not the greatest but it's working. She might need something more then you think so at least wait, and since your family doesnt have much money maybe you should put the money left over from this vet visit away in case she has another emergency, seeing as every time she gets sick you don't have the money for the vet.

My mom is going to take care of that.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 09:37 PM
WHAT? How can you even THINK about a new computer when you have a SICK dog who needs to see a vet ASAP?

That's just disturbing.

You really need to rehome Reggie. You clearly have more "important" priorities than her health.

What??? Why do you think i asked Karen to lock the thread? BECAUSE SHES NOT SICK! My mom is going to take care of the vet part so i wouldnt have to blow my money on reggie.

BC_MoM
10-09-2007, 09:38 PM
EXCUSE ME? You have the money, you pay for it.

On paper, neither Molly nor Mickey are legally mine. They under my mother's name. But that doesn't mean I don't help pay for vet bills.

Like Molly's emergency trip on Friday, I PAID FOR THAT WITH MY OWN MONEY.

Or, dang... I should have just forgot about it and gone out to a movie with my friends like I had originally planned! Dang me!

YOUR DOG IS SICK. Any dog PEEING BLOOD needs to see a vet! Could you be any more dense? :(

Hellow
10-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Vista should run ok on that machine as it runs ok on my less powerful machines.

If you haven't already ordered it I would suggest a better video card of 128MB or more and a DVD burner instead of the combo drive.

Well i mean i was trying to keep the price below $500 because thats all my moms giving me.

Heres my new specs:
Operating system Genuine (http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/mda/genuine_landing.html) Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core processor E2140 (1.6GHz)
Memory 2GB DDR2-533MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024)
Graphics Card 64MB NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE, DVI-I, TV-out, VGA adapter
Networking 56Kbps Data/Fax Modem for dial-up Internet access
Hard Drive 160GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
Front Productivity Ports 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, audio
Sound Card Integrated 5.1 Capable Sound w/ front audio ports
Security Software No additional security software (60-day Norton Internet Security trial)
Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
Keyboard and Mouse HP keyboard and HP scroller mouse
Removable Storage HP Pocket Media Drive bay

Hellow
10-09-2007, 09:42 PM
EXCUSE ME? You have the money, you pay for it.

On paper, neither Molly nor Mickey are legally mine. They under my mother's name. But that doesn't mean I don't help pay for vet bills.

Like Molly's emergency trip on Friday, I PAID FOR THAT WITH MY OWN MONEY.

Or, dang... I should have just forgot about it and gone out to a movie with my friends like I had originally planned! Dang me!

YOUR DOG IS SICK. Any dog PEEING BLOOD needs to see a vet! Could you be any more dense? :(

Please get this through your concrete head:
SHES NOT PEEING BLOOD! SHES WELL! THAT WAS ALMOST 2 WEEKS AGO! Hello, anyone there???

BC_MoM
10-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I thought you said that your mom was paying for the vet, so you didn't have to blow YOUR money? Clearly it is your mother's, and if you were smart, you would say something like, "It's okay, Mom. Reggie's health is more important than a computer that I don't really need."

See, in this world there are needs and wants.

Reggie seeing a vet is a NEED.

You buying a new supped up computer is a WANT.

Lady's Human
10-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Aside from other obvious issues, here's some reading on MS Vista (AKA resource hog, system killer, and numerous other names......There's a REASON Dell offers XP on all their machines)

http://aspnetresources.com/blog/vista_sucks.aspx

Hellow
10-09-2007, 09:51 PM
I thought you said that your mom was paying for the vet, so you didn't have to blow YOUR money? Clearly it is your mother's, and if you were smart, you would say something like, "It's okay, Mom. Reggie's health is more important than a computer that I don't really need."

See, in this world there are needs and wants.

Reggie seeing a vet is a NEED.

You buying a new supped up computer is a WANT.

Actually, it is an need because im on my schools News Crew and i am the video editor. Every day i bring home the camcorder and i have to hook it up to my friends computer because mine arent powerful enough. And my friend is about to move so ill be on my own. So the computer is an need because i have to have an computer powerful enough for daily video editing. And the fact that reggies not sick and my mom is paying for her vet visit dosent support your argument. I do not want any more about reggie being sick beyond this point. The topic is reviews of my computer and Windows vista. If you wish to know my curent computers specs just pm me.

Lady's Human
10-09-2007, 09:53 PM
If the school wants you to do video editing then the school should supply the computer and the software to do the editing.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Aside from other obvious issues, here's some reading on MS Vista (AKA resource hog, system killer, and numerous other names......There's a REASON Dell offers XP on all their machines)

http://aspnetresources.com/blog/vista_sucks.aspx

Well i believe that my planned computer has enough juice to run vista effectivly. Also DL.TV uses vista on their online show.

BC_MoM
10-09-2007, 09:55 PM
If the school wants you to do video editing then the school should supply the computer and the software to do the editing.

Exactly. Nice try at an excuse, though.

I know for a FACT that your school would allow you to stay after school, or let you stay in at recess to work on a school computer. I was involved in a similar thing in elementary.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Well it was purely voluntary but at the time i didn't know my computer wasn't powerful enough. And the fact that if i quit it would screw up the whole entire schools news service helps to explain my need for an new computer.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Exactly. Nice try at an excuse, though.

I know for a FACT that your school would allow you to stay after school, or let you stay in at recess to work on a school computer. I was involved in a similar thing in elementary.

We do not have recess nor afterschool because all of the teachers leave right after we leave on the buses. And the fact that it was voluntary (Use your own computer/software) and that the school is not required to provide neither.

Lady's Human
10-09-2007, 10:00 PM
It's not a need, it's a want. It's cool, new, and you want it.

It sucks in reality, but it's well marketed. (Like most MS products)

Vista is a nightmare on many systems, and most businesses are staying away from it.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
It's not a need, it's a want. It's cool, new, and you want it.

It sucks in reality, but it's well marketed. (Like most MS products)

Vista is a nightmare on many systems, and most businesses are staying away from it.

Well, i heard from the biggest nerds in the world(*cough PC World *cough) that eventually everyone will be running Vista or Mac or Linux so its better tojust upgrade now. Yes Windows XP sucked when it first came out but Microsoft fixed most of the bugs and they are working hard on Vista. But i also dont want to downgrade to an 2000 operating system thats not going to be supported in 2009.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 10:07 PM
My curent desktops specs:
Processor: Intel Celeron 1.2 gh
Memory: 128 MB upgradeable to 512
Drives: 1 18 gig hd
Optical Drives: 1 CD-rw drive, 1 CD-RW/DVD rom drive
Computer age: 7 years

NOW do you see my need for an better computer?

Lady's Human
10-09-2007, 10:12 PM
No, for the simple reason that that's more powerful than some of the servers we use for image processing at work. (Dual 533 PIII's)

Max out the memory, get a faster (bigger does not equal better) hard drive, and a newer DVD drive.

I still have a computer running windows 2000 pro, some of the machines at work are running NT 4.0. The age of the OS doesn't mean a heck of a lot.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 10:17 PM
No, for the simple reason that that's more powerful than some of the servers we use for image processing at work.

Max out the memory, get a faster (bigger does not equal better) hard drive, and a newer DVD drive.

I still have a computer running windows 2000 pro, some of the machines at work are running NT 4.0. The age of the OS doesn't mean a heck of a lot.

Well, my computer cannot suport the faster hd's because the power supply is on its last legs, teh processor half melted on me one day while i was *trying* to game and it slowed considerably, the fan barely works, one of the memory slots is tore up, the audio connector is broken, Windows XP is pretty much screwd. It would cost much more to repair it than to just buy teh planned computer. I might be able to salvage an few parts off of my computer but not much. Need anymore expalation?

Lady's Human
10-09-2007, 10:33 PM
You're bound and determined to waste the money on a new computer, so be it.

Just be prepared for all the flack you get the next time Reggie gets sick and you can't get the pup to the vet.

I'm sure if the school REALLY needed the video editing done they could find a way for you to do it. You're explaining your way into a new computer, and convincing no one.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 10:44 PM
If i quit the whole entire school would be mad at me because there would be no news and all because collin didnt buy an new computer because of people on an pet forum. That would ruin my reputation at school. So i need an new computer.

Scooter's Mom
10-09-2007, 10:49 PM
By all means, buy the new computer.

If your family is SO POOR they can't afford food and are regularly having to borrow money from your dads boss, then you certainly NEED that new toy.

Have fun.

Lady's Human
10-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Popularity is HIGHLY overrated. Better to be yourself and to hell with popularity than actively try to be popular.

If your popularity is based on getting a new computer, what is it worth?

If the kids were TRULY your friends they would understand you were saving the money for more important things, not necessarily the pup, but whatever tight spot came up, or college, or trade school............

You're going to be in school for a few more years, then on to other things. Your conscience will be with you for life, as will financial habits you start now.

wolf_Q
10-09-2007, 10:53 PM
If i quit the whole entire school would be mad at me because there would be no news and all because collin didnt buy an new computer because of people on an pet forum. That would ruin my reputation at school. So i need an new computer.

It shouldn't be because of "people on a pet forum" it should be because you care about your pets. Reggie should be more important to you than a reputation. If it came down to it I would sell everything I owned to take care of my dogs. I chose to take them into my care, it is my responsibility to make sure they are cared for. I realize you are a kid and it is not all up to you, but if you really care about Reggie you should set aside some of that money for her. That way the next time she needs to see a vet there will be a way if your parents are in a tight spot financially.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Plus the fact that i cant leave the thing unattended for fear itll catch on fire. And my mom said this is MY money and i get to do whatever i want to with it. So i decided to buy an new computer with it. My mom is going to take care of Reggie. This is the schools news service were talking about. So, if i quit, i would have about 899 kids mad at me because there is no news.

Lady's Human
10-09-2007, 10:57 PM
This is sounding all too familiar............ :rolleyes:

Time to bow out.

3muttsandaboston
10-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Honestly this is really saddening me. I just read through your "reggie is sick" thread and was appaulled. Insead of getting some money and blowing it on a bunch of crap that you don't need why don't you save it? You were saying in the other thread that your dad has to borrow money to pay the rent. Tell me How is he going to pay the rent next month? The month after that? Why not save this money and pay the rent with it or take reggie to the vet? When your dad gets a better job or a raise or something you can then get a computer. When you have no money you need to keep your priorities straight. And tell the truth i'm sure you could EASILY find someone else to do the video editing. I think you just want to do it because you want the attention. Honestly though I have never lived in your situation. My dad makes about 150k per year and my mom makes much less she owns a local newspaper. That is why I have so many critters. If I couldn't afford animals I wouldn't have them! Doing so is just selfish. I got my first dog Zoe when I was 13 years old. I babysat and saved money and my parents finally relented and got her. I of course didn't pay her vet bills but I did buy her collars and other non essentials. With our dogs on several occasions we have payed 700 dollar or more vet bills at the emergancy clinic. Face it pets are expensive and if you can't afford them don't get them. I remember a post from a while ago saying you couldn't afford a water bottle for your girbil and now I see you buying a 500 dollar computer. :confused:

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Honestly this is really saddening me. I just read through your "reggie is sick" thread and was appaulled. Insead of getting some money and blowing it on a bunch of crap that you don't need why don't you save it? You were saying in the other thread that your dad has to borrow money to pay the rent. Tell me How is he going to pay the rent next month? The month after that? Why not save this money and pay the rent with it or take reggie to the vet? When your dad gets a better job or a raise or something you can then get a computer. When you have no money you need to keep your priorities straight. And tell the truth i'm sure you could EASILY find someone else to do the video editing. I think you just want to do it because you want the attention. Honestly though I have never lived in your situation. My dad makes about 150k per year and my mom makes much less she owns a local newspaper. That is why I have so many critters. If I couldn't afford animals I wouldn't have them! Doing so is just selfish. I got my first dog Zoe when I was 13 years old. I babysat and saved money and my parents finally relented and got her. I of course didn't pay her vet bills but I did buy her collars and other non essentials. With our dogs on several occasions we have payed 700 dollar or more vet bills at the emergancy clinic. Face it pets are expensive and if you can't afford them don't get them. I remember a post from a while ago saying you couldn't afford a water bottle for your girbil and now I see you buying a 500 dollar computer. :confused:

Its called about 5 counties people coming to an festivle called Gold Rush and my mom selling Arts & Crafts and my dad selling Hot Dogs. Alltogether we should make round $3,000 off this. I get $500, my dad gets $500, and my mom gets $500. The rest goes towards bills and reggies vet. This event happens October 21 - 22.

Aspen and Misty
10-09-2007, 11:08 PM
I think the thing that bothers me the most about you wanting to use your money on a new computer is that the next time Reggie is sick we will see a "what can I do? we don't have the money to pay for it" thread. I'm not trying to be mean or rude or anything. If it was me, as I love my dog's very much, I would put that $500 in a savings account. If you don't want to put it all away for future vet care, what about even $100 or $200 of it. That way the next time Reggie gets sick you have the money available to get help.

Also, Petsmarts Banfield (And many other vet offices) offer health insurance for dogs. I have it on both of my dogs, the cheapest plan is like $20 a month. With these plans you generally get free office visits, and the shots plus a lot of other common health problems are covered under the plan. This way any time Reggie was sick you could go and see a vet without the financial strain.

Just think, putting away $240 of your money could get Reggie vet care for a YEAR. A little bit of money goes a long way.

Ashley

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:11 PM
As i said, there is going to be about $1,200 left overr from this. The money can come out of that. My new computer uses all of my money. I cant help that because what i have ordered is what i need, not want.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Ok, from this post forward, i want for there to be no more comments about my money and Reggie Thats taken care of. I only want there to be stuff about my computer and Vista. Nothing else.

Animalhouse26
10-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Hubby works with puters and HATEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS Vista! He will stick with XP for the next 5 yrs

Scooter's Mom
10-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Ok, from this post forward, i want for there to be no more comments about my money and Reggie Thats taken care of. I only want there to be stuff about my computer and Vista. Nothing else.

You want this to only be about computers? Then I want Reggie to be rehomed and for us to never see a "what can I do? we can't afford to get Reggie to a vet" thread ever again.

If only life were that easy, huh?

Lady's Human
10-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Reggie, this is all LINKED to Reggie.

It's about money management, and separating needs from wants.

Needs.........food, shelter, health care (both human and animal if there are animals in the house), education........

Wants............toys, computers, etc.......

3muttsandaboston
10-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Well honestly this is a pet forum not a windows vista forum so you will have a hard time finding someone to go along with what you are doing. Wow recently I wanted to spend my money on alot of things but what did I do with it? I got my 2 kittens spayed of course. Getting this computer is just selfish.

Kfamr
10-09-2007, 11:19 PM
This really isn't surprising - we all knew from the beginning where the kid's priorities are. Reggie is just on the back burner, so to speak. Nothing's going to get through this boy's thick skull.

3muttsandaboston
10-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Kfamr I love the bottom portion of your siggie! ;)

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:24 PM
How is this linked to Reggie? Original topic: VISTA, V I S T A , not our money and reggie, my money, new computer and vista. AS I HAVE SAID, MY MOM IS PAYING FOR REGGIE! I have made my decision about how to spend my money: NEW COMPUTER! The rest is up to my parents but im buying an new computer because i dont want to forget to turn my computer off and i wake up at 3:00 AM and find i am trapped in my room because my computer caught on fire. Then i would die. Now, weigh this: Me dying vs. reggies vet?

BC_MoM
10-09-2007, 11:25 PM

Plus the fact that i cant leave the thing unattended for fear itll catch on fire. And my mom said this is MY money and i get to do whatever i want to with it. So i decided to buy an new computer with it. My mom is going to take care of Reggie. And this is not about my reputation, its about the schools news service. So i would have about 899 kids mad at me if i quit .

Huh? :confused: I'm confused.

Poor Reggie. :(

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:26 PM
This really isn't surprising - we all knew from the beginning where the kid's priorities are. Reggie is just on the back burner, so to speak. Nothing's going to get through this boy's thick skull.

Hey, im not thick! Read my post right before this. I love reggie but my mom is taking care of reggie. What diference would it make if i paid for reggie. None. My mom would just give me back the same amout of money that i lost.

BC_MoM
10-09-2007, 11:27 PM
You are no different than any other child. What can we expect from a "13" year old, though? Not much I guess. I will boast and say that I would have offered to pay vet bills instead of buying a new computer when I was 13, though.

It's sad what the world is turning into, and the kid's it is producing. :(

The rest is up to my parents but im buying an new computer because i dont want to forget to turn my computer off and i wake up at 3:00 AM and find i am trapped in my room because my computer caught on fire. Then i would die. Now, weigh this: Me dying vs. reggies vet?

I think you're exaggerating pathetically.

Lady's Human
Computers don't create enough heat to start a house fire unless the power supply has been altered.

Comp draws too much current, fuse blows, no more heat.

Hellow
Huh? :confused: I'm confused.

Poor Reggie. :(

I believe you missed an post between those two and you missed the one at the top of this page.

3muttsandaboston
Throw the darned computer away then, a 12 or 13 year old doesn't need to be on the computer 24/7 anyways. Why do your parents let you stay on the computer all the time. Right now where you are it's 12:27 on a school night. Why aren't you in bed?

BC_MoM
10-09-2007, 11:29 PM
I believe you missed an post between those two and you missed the one at the top of this page.

No. I believe you first said it would ruin your rep, then you were saying it WASN'T about your rep.
If you're going to lie, at least lie well.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Computers don't create enough heat to start a house fire unless the power supply has been altered.

Comp draws too much current, fuse blows, no more heat.

No, the power supply is almost dead. And it once sparked and caught my curtains on fire while the case was open and i tried starting it up. This had no relation to what i was doing inside of it, though. And sometimes i press the power button, i hear an little click, then nothing.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Throw the darned computer away then, a 12 or 13 year old doesn't need to be on the computer 24/7 anyways. Why do your parents let you stay on the computer all the time. Right now where you are it's 12:27 on a school night. Why aren't you in bed?

I need the computer for school. And im on here right now because of this thread.

Lady's Human
10-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Sorry, switching power supplies are designed to fail before sparking or causing fires. Otherwise insurance rates for houses would be based on whether or not you have a computer.

3muttsandaboston
10-09-2007, 11:33 PM
The internet is not for school and honestly the internet is no place for a 12 or 13 year old especially after midnight. I didn't get a computer until I was 14 and even then I wasn't alowed on it all the time.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:34 PM
I once had an desktop catch on fire and i had to take an fire extenguisher to it. Then i traced the source of the fire to the power supply.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:35 PM
The internet is not for school and honestly the internet is no place for a 12 or 13 year old especially after midnight. I didn't get a computer until I was 14 and even then I wasn't alowed on it all the time.

Well, i paid for it and its in my room so its technically mine. And wikipedia if for school lol.

Lady's Human
10-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Reggie, I work on electronics for a living. Stop while you're ahead.

3muttsandaboston
10-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Ok lets put it this way. I know many many kids who went all their school years with no computers and they did just fine. Go outside and play with other kids your age heck play with your dog she looks like she could use the exercise.

Scooter's Mom
10-09-2007, 11:38 PM
I once had an desktop catch on fire and i had to take an fire extenguisher to it. Then i traced the source of the fire to the power supply.

You are one talented 13 year old. I'm no longer posting in this thread. It's like talking to a brick wall.

I wish you luck in your future endeavors and wish Reggie nothing but healthy joyful days.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Reggie, I work on electronics for a living. Stop while you're ahead.

I have literally built 11 computers before to exact specs. I also fix computers at my house and i sometimes fix my teachers macs when they break. I also once helped the server technician in my school fix teh school-wide server in 1 day. Trust me, i might just be an kid, but i proably know the same or more about computers then you do.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Ok lets put it this way. I know many many kids who went all their school years with no computers and they did just fine. Go outside and play with other kids your age heck play with your dog she looks like she could use the exercise.
LOL yea she could lose about 3 pounds. And there are no other kids in this area where i live, remember, my region is very rual.

BC_MoM
10-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Well, a genius like you needs to sleep so his brain can grow! So, get to bed young man! And while you're at it, get your priorities straight! ;)

3muttsandaboston
10-09-2007, 11:43 PM
I have literally built 11 computers before to exact specs. I also fix computers at my house and i sometimes fix my teachers macs when they break. I also once helped the server technician in my school fix teh school-wide server in 1 day. Trust me, i might just be an kid, but i proably know the same or more about computers then you do.

I seriously doubt that.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Well, a genius like you needs to sleep so his brain can grow! So, get to bed young man! And while you're at it, get your priorities straight! ;)

LOL but my mind is made up, i AM buying this computer. My parents already said they would take care of reggie.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:44 PM
I seriously doubt that.

You obviously dont know how much i know about computers. Kids literally know me as the Computer know it all of Lumpkin County lol!

Lady's Human
10-09-2007, 11:51 PM
If you knew that much about computers you would never be buying ANYTHING saddled with Vista as its operating system.

You have a lot of learning to do, more about life than computers. A computer is a bunch of silicon, copper, gold, solder, and trace elements.

A dog is an unconditional friend.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:53 PM
If you knew that much about computers you would never be buying ANYTHING saddled with Vista as its operating system.

You have a lot of learning to do, more about life than computers. A computer is a bunch of silicon, copper, gold, solder, and trace elements.

A dog is an unconditional friend.

How many times do i have to repeat this? 9,999,999? My parents are taking care of reggie!!! REPEAT: PARENTS!!! Not me, Parents!!! They already said they would!

Lady's Human
10-09-2007, 11:55 PM
The point is that rather than running out and buying something now, you should start thinking about later.

Hellow
10-09-2007, 11:58 PM
The point is that rather than running out and buying something now, you should start thinking about later.

My parents told me to spend my money on whatever i want and thats what im going to do. Im going to buy this new computer. I have had my current computer since i was 6 and its way too old for my uses. I need an new one and my parents will deal with the rest of the stuff. Im just an normal 13 year old who loves games but his crappy computer can play them. (i hope they come out with an pc verson of Halo 3. Its only rated M because of teh blood which can be turned off.

PS: i brought my low-powered laptop to school so i could use it on the bus but since my bus is 3/4 of below 4 grade elementry schoolers my laptop came home pretty battered. I mostly stayed in the back where all of the middle and high schoolers sit and where the elementry schoolers cannot go. My laptop has even worse specs than my desktop.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 12:10 AM
I do not wish for there to be any comments about Reggie after this post. Only comments about My computer and vista.

Lady's Human
10-10-2007, 12:12 AM
So go to pricewatch.com, get a no-OS whitebox comp for about $200, load win XP or linux on it, and save the other $300 for a rainy day.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 12:17 AM
No i trust HP for all of my computers. I would never ues anyone else. And also i like the fact that i get an free 17 in flat screen monitor!

Flatcoatluver
10-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Why don't you spent the money on food for Reggie that is high quality, instead of just buying it at walmart? Wait, of course you don't have the money. I can think of four threads about your pets where you don't have the money, and your pets may die because of it. Not to mention you have only been a member on pt since May.

I don't know what decade you live in, but most teenagers don't look forward to hearing the school news, I hated it and all of our student body did as well.. or is that just your excuse to get a computer?

I don't know, but maybe you just don't care about your pets. You just want to blow money as soon as you get it. I got my first dog at the age of 13. My parents offered to pay for the dog's vet care, but no Zoey is my dog. Just in the past year I have spent over $1000 on her vet care. Yes all my money, and yes I am a teenager still. I just added a new dog to my fur family, on top of all of Zoey's vet care, I have recently spent 500 on Sage's vet care. Pets are expensive and things show up. I just don't understand how selfish you are.

I just love all the drama you have brought to pt.

I am just in shock, I really am. (NOT)

Genny
10-10-2007, 02:40 AM
Collin, I know you think everyone here is against you and trying to make you feel bad, but they aren't. Everyone really loves their pets and they don't understand why you wont at least put back a couple hundred dollars incase your family needs the extra $$$ later on. What is Reggie gets sick again? Then your family might not have enough money, but at least ya'll might have that extra couple hundred you could save; we don't mean to keep it saved and never spend it, just until your dad/mom can get a better job or somehow get some more money where you guys will be better off financially than you are right now.

Remember nobody is trying to fuss or argue with you; we just all love animals and want the best for them. We know your mom said she would pay for Reggie's vet. bills when ever you take her, but why not let your mom keep that $$$ for food and things that you guys need (I remember you saying once on the 'Reggie is sick thread' that ya'll didn't have much money for food.

Anyway just re-think about what everyone here has said. Reggie is your dog and she loves you; she should come before a new computer. Well it is getting late so I'll go.

Genny

Daisy and Delilah
10-10-2007, 02:58 AM
Collin, your reaction to the responses in this thread are unbelievable. After posting what you did about Reggie being sick and your financial woes, what did you expect? Why are you acting so put out with the reaction of pet lovers on a pet board? Are you just trying to get attention?

Also: I can't help but wonder why you don't have more opportunity to earn money with your computer expertise. If you're so good at it and so widely known in the community, why not get some side jobs to help raise vet money for Reggie? Lastly, I visited your area last year in November. I will visit again in the same month this year. I didn't find this town to be so completely and utterly down and out and without some forms of generating income. It seemed like a normal, fairly small, town to me. I was able to eat and shop there just like anywhere else.

Above all: I hope Reggie is well and will continue to be well. She's a cute little doggie and deserves to be loved.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Why don't you spent the money on food for Reggie that is high quality, instead of just buying it at walmart? Wait, of course you don't have the money. I can think of four threads about your pets where you don't have the money, and your pets may die because of it. Not to mention you have only been a member on pt since May.

I don't know what decade you live in, but most teenagers don't look forward to hearing the school news, I hated it and all of our student body did as well.. or is that just your excuse to get a computer?

I don't know, but maybe you just don't care about your pets. You just want to blow money as soon as you get it. I got my first dog at the age of 13. My parents offered to pay for the dog's vet care, but no Zoey is my dog. Just in the past year I have spent over $1000 on her vet care. Yes all my money, and yes I am a teenager still. I just added a new dog to my fur family, on top of all of Zoey's vet care, I have recently spent 500 on Sage's vet care. Pets are expensive and things show up. I just don't understand how selfish you are.

I just love all the drama you have brought to pt.

I am just in shock, I really am. (NOT)

Hey, i dont want this new computer, i need it. I need an new one because of the fact that mine is about to blow up literally and i need it for school. So there. If i hear another comment beyond this point ill deleate this thread and start over freash. All i want is reviews of Windows Vista. And, Reggie is owned by my parents. She always has been and always will. That means that they pay for Reggies expenses. I own Little Bit but my parents sometimes buy the food and litter.

buttercup132
10-10-2007, 07:21 AM
My parents told me to spend my money on whatever i want and thats what im going to do Then do the smart thing, don't be greedy and save it for a emergency. If it's your money your parents don't have say in it and you can keep it. Unless of course you want to be stuck in the same situation again where your dog gets sick. From the food she eats and considering her weight there is bound to be a big problem down the road.

Hey, i dont want this new computer, i need it Wow that's a joke. You don't NEED a new toy. Grow up and stop caring about what other people think and start caring about your family ie: Reggie and your other pet. And maybe help with the groceries for your human family. Your school will understand I highly doubt each one of them are selfish as*holes.

And, Reggie is owned by my parents. She always has been and always will. That means that they pay for Reggies expenses So are you saying because your parents own Reggie and she needed to go the vet but your PARENTS couldn't afford it and you had the money sitting there you wouldn't help pay for it cause she your PARENTS dog and not yours?

If i hear another comment beyond this point ill deleate this thread and start over freash. Might as well not even make another one then. It will either turn out like this one or have no replies. Noone is going to help a selfish little kid who puts his want before his dogs needs.

Youn are starting to sound alot like another member on here who also claimed to be poor but instead of getting her cats spayed she would get expensive purses and clothes that she didn't need.

jackie
10-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Why don't you post this thread on an computer forum and save yourself the grief. Sounds like you have made up your mind anyway. Move on.

BTW, I agree that your dog looks like she could use some more exercise, log off and go play fetch.

BC_MoM
10-10-2007, 11:02 AM
If you want info on a stupid computer, find a different forum. You're not going to get it here.

Neither Mickey or Molly are legally mine, as I said before, but I still buy food, treats, crates, beds and pay for vet bills and trips to the groomer for them.

Because I am not materialistic. Life comes before plastic.

JenBKR
10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Believe it or not, I got all the way through high school without a home computer. It may seem like computers are necessary these days, but they really aren't. People can actually survive without them. Poor Reggie :(

Genny
10-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Believe it or not, I got all the way through high school without a home computer. It may seem like computers are necessary these days, but they really aren't. People can actually survive without them. Poor Reggie :(

right; I got my computer when I was 14 years old. I didn't have one the whole time I was in school until I turned 14.

Daisy and Delilah
10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
When I was growing up, there were NO computers. They didn't exist yet. I made it through just fine :) There are millions of people just like me :D

JenBKR
10-10-2007, 01:13 PM
When I was growing up, there were NO computers. They didn't exist yet. I made it through just fine :) There are millions of people just like me :D

Remember when you had to go the whole way to the school library to do research for a paper? And look in those things called 'books' for the information? :p ;)

ilovemypup
10-10-2007, 01:14 PM
You probably will have a worse reputation for letting your dog suffer.

And you better be pretty damn lucky that you even have that 500 dollars to spend.
There are a lot of kids that cant't even buy anything to eat because they don't have money!
Those kids also save their money and don't blow it on things like that! They save up for college, bills for helping their parent, etc etc.
You need to think more.

Catty1
10-10-2007, 01:16 PM
I wonder to what extent computers are used in schools THESE days? And whether students are expected to have access to one in order to do their homework? Heck, just because computers weren't in school when I was there doesn't mean they aren't more widely used now. (walked to school uphill both ways, in knee-deep snow...and I did just fine... :p )

That said, I wouldn't go near Vista if my life depended on it. It is a REAL classic example of Microsoft finishing its testing by unleashing it on the public, marketing it really well so that folks think they HAVE to have it.

Then the users find out all kinds of bugs, and Microsoft keeps sending out security patches and all that ****. It is just a stupid game, and I am not supporting Microsoft in this. Matter of fact, I find that no-name brands are often just as good as the 'brand' names - cleaning products, food, etc.

Collin - That box that Lady's Human was talking about...have a look at things like that. They should have a warranty - and you can fix things anyway.

Paying for a "name" brand is not always the way to go. My system has one thing for the computer, a Samsung monitor, and a DVD writer/player that is some other brand, but one recommended by a trustworthy computer tech I know. (He's the president of the Linux club in Calgary).

You should be able to get a good system for WAY under $500. If you have a little extra, put it away for a treat someday, or a toy for you and Reggie to play with.

There are a number of consumer review forums around - try Googling "Vista Reviews"; also, in that same forum, you might ask about name brands on computers and what system everyone has.

:)

Hellow
10-10-2007, 03:10 PM
I wonder to what extent computers are used in schools THESE days? And whether students are expected to have access to one in order to do their homework? Heck, just because computers weren't in school when I was there doesn't mean they aren't more widely used now. (walked to school uphill both ways, in knee-deep snow...and I did just fine... :p )

That said, I wouldn't go near Vista if my life depended on it. It is a REAL classic example of Microsoft finishing its testing by unleashing it on the public, marketing it really well so that folks think they HAVE to have it.

Then the users find out all kinds of bugs, and Microsoft keeps sending out security patches and all that ****. It is just a stupid game, and I am not supporting Microsoft in this. Matter of fact, I find that no-name brands are often just as good as the 'brand' names - cleaning products, food, etc.

Collin - That box that Lady's Human was talking about...have a look at things like that. They should have a warranty - and you can fix things anyway.

Paying for a "name" brand is not always the way to go. My system has one thing for the computer, a Samsung monitor, and a DVD writer/player that is some other brand, but one recommended by a trustworthy computer tech I know. (He's the president of the Linux club in Calgary).

You should be able to get a good system for WAY under $500. If you have a little extra, put it away for a treat someday, or a toy for you and Reggie to play with.

There are a number of consumer review forums around - try Googling "Vista Reviews"; also, in that same forum, you might ask about name brands on computers and what system everyone has.

:)

Yes, we need good computers for school. Reasons:

There is an online math book at go.hrw.com so fi we leave out math book at school...
In my case with the news crew i have to have an very powerful computer for daily video editing
and we can do our homework and save it so if we lose the original copy just print another.
But i like Windows because of compatibility issues with other os's. Otherwise i would be using an Mac because its smaller and looks better.

Catty1
10-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Just don't go for Vista or HP just because of the name.

A really good person to contact - if you can track one down - is a place that repairs ALL kinds of computers, and isn't owned by one of the big manufacturers.

That person could give you really good feedback on what companies have certain problems in their machines.

Sometimes paying for a name-brand is good; sometimes you are paying for the name only and could get a much better machine for less $$.

Lady's Human
10-10-2007, 03:22 PM
If you buy an HP, (especially a low end HP) you are getting:

A proprietary motherboard which may or may not be compatible with future upgrades.

Integrated video memory (which isn't going to help with speed)

On-board graphics, as opposed to a separate graphics card

limited (or non-existent) expansion slots

and a "free" 17" monitor........which really means you're buying a $200 computer, a $150 monitor, and they're only charging you $500 for it.

BC_MoM
10-10-2007, 03:39 PM
You're really bad at BSing, Collin.

Schools CANNOT assume ALL students have access to computers. That is why teachers MUST stay after school with students if need be, and that is also why library's offer free (or cheap) computer use.

YES, I know you "need" it for certain things like video editing.

But I think your school would understand if you spent money on a sick dog rather than a new computer. If they didn't, they just aren't worth it anyway.

But..... this is starting to get redundant. This kid is HOPELESS. Maybe if we stop responding to his threads he'll go away! :D

Catty1
10-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Collin - it's your money. Don't get ripped off by a so-called 'deal'. What Lady's Human said above is, often, sadly the case.

And because the store staff see a young person like you come in, they are not likely to be honest with you.

Do you know the model of the HP and the monitor? Check for prices online. Compare.

Also, learning to save some of your money is part of growing up. Don't get ripped off by spending $500 for a computer just because you have $500.

Research and compare the prices.

i love my piggy
10-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Ok you can get a working computer at a thrift store for under $30 Ok the moniter might not be a FLAT SCREEN and there won't be VISTA but whatever your dog is your priorty. OK!

Hellow
10-10-2007, 04:05 PM
If you buy an HP, (especially a low end HP) you are getting:

A proprietary motherboard which may or may not be compatible with future upgrades.

Integrated video memory (which isn't going to help with speed)

On-board graphics, as opposed to a separate graphics card

limited (or non-existent) expansion slots

and a "free" 17" monitor........which really means you're buying a $200 computer, a $150 monitor, and they're only charging you $500 for it.]

Actually, the monitor is not included. But i think this is an pretty high powered computer that im getting for $500. Amd im going to buy it online using one of those $8 visa debit cards found at Wal Mart. My computer is comfigured witn an intel Pentium Dual Core processor, Deticated 64MB NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE, DVI-I, TV-out, VGA adapter graphics card, 2 Gigs of memory, an 160 GB 7200 rpm hd, Microsoft(R) Works 8.0, Windows Vista home Premium, Integrated 5.1 Capable Sound w/ front audio ports, LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive, and an 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, audio ports on the front. This is an customised a6200T desktop by HP. All of that plus an HP Pocket Media Drive bay for $503 plus shipping which my mom will pay. Does anyone agree with me about this being an good computer? I believe in HP because my dad had an HP desktop that lasted him 13 years. And, as i have said, my mom is going to take care of reggie.**** No need to worry or argue that reggie is not getting the proper care because if i spent my money on Reggie my mom would just give me back the same amount.****

ilovemypup
10-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Also I would not recommend getting Windows Vista, because since it's new it have a bunch of bugs/gliches/etc etc.

I would wait.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Also I would not recommend getting Windows Vista, because since it's new it have a bunch of bugs/gliches/etc etc.

I would wait.

Yes but by the time i get this computer ordered Microsoft will have released an Service Pack to fix all of the currently known glitches and bugs and security holes. And i also like the fact that DL.TV uses Vista in their show. And an Wii lol!

Lady's Human
10-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Microsquash has been issuing SP's for Vista well prior to it being on the market. It hasn't fixed a damned thing, which is why most comp manufacturers are still offering windows XP as an option.

Frankly, Vista is in the ranks of MS DOS v 4.0 and Windows Me. Operating systems which should have never been released.

As to PC World reviews, they gave Me a good review, and I know many, many people who could never get it to install on their systems, never mind get it working.

lizbud
10-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Frankly, Vista is in the ranks of MS DOS v 4.0 and Windows Me. Operating systems which should have never been released.

For what it's worth, I agree with you here. Vista was rushed to market
well before the glitchs were worked out. I wouldn't touch it. It's not
worth all the trouble.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Yes but it is illogical to buy an Widows XP machine because it wont be supported by Microsoft at all by 2010. No support = No bug-fixes, security patches, service packs, no technical support, etc. And that compunded onto the fact that my current computer is about to blow up literally seems to tell me that i need an new computer.

critter crazy
10-10-2007, 04:45 PM
So i guess the question would be, If you already know so much, why even ask for help in the first place??:confused:

Lady's Human
10-10-2007, 04:54 PM
And Windows NT and Win 2000 Pro are no longer supported by Microsquash, but they are both still in heavy use.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 04:58 PM
So i guess the question would be, If you already know so much, why even ask for help in the first place??:confused:

For hands on reviews.

Blue_Frog
10-10-2007, 05:03 PM
PC: In a nutshell, no. Don't bother going with a brand name - you are paying for the name, and likely support that you won't ever use. If you do as much technical support as you say, then that would not be a problem for you. I build computers, and I would not recommend getting a pre-made PC if you have the knowledge that you say, to build your own.

I do recommend that you look into individual components -- the money isn't going to go bad, or burn a hole in your pocket -- do your research first. Look at the individual components (motherboard, memory, processor, etc.). Browse computer forums for both positive and negative experiences with the hardware you are looking for. Take your time and do it right, and you will have a better item for your money. Here are some examples of pre-mades at Tiger Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=2627) - also cheaper, and does ship if you are going that route. They also sell individual parts, or will build you a custom for those parts.

Vista: In a second and larger nutshell, no. NO NO NO. I've used vista, i've tested software and hardware against vista, and my personal recommendation is that it sucks. hard. But thats just me. Do your own research first - a GIS for Vista Problems (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=vista+%2Bproblems&meta=), Vista Issues (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=vista+%2Bissues&meta=) (hey look, an entire forum just named that --- http://www.vistaissues.org/ ) and, just for fun, Vista Sucks. (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=vista+%2Bsucks&meta=) Don't get it in hopes that MS will fix it by the time you get it, thats just shooting yourself in the foot.

In regards to budgeting and your pet: Think VERY strongly before pouring out every last dollar into this. Christmas is coming up, will you have money for something under the tree for your parents and pets (if you do that kind of thing that is)? Even if you set aside $100 for a rainy day, thats better than nothing. From what i've seen in your posts, your family comes and goes with money -- it happens. But, its naive to believe that everything in the future will work out roses after you've spent all your money. What happens, when theres no money, and something bad happens with your dog again, and your parents don't have the money either because its all been spent? Then, having spent the full $500 on a new computer will leave you looking back and feeling like an a##hat. Trust me, i've seen my sister go through that.

I think that all people want you to do is seriously and objectively THINK it through, before jumping into it. /soapbox

Hellow
10-10-2007, 05:13 PM
PC: In a nutshell, no. Don't bother going with a brand name - you are paying for the name, and likely support that you won't ever use. If you do as much technical support as you say, then that would not be a problem for you. I build computers, and I would not recommend getting a pre-made PC if you have the knowledge that you say, to build your own.

I do recommend that you look into individual components -- the money isn't going to go bad, or burn a hole in your pocket -- do your research first. Look at the individual components (motherboard, memory, processor, etc.). Browse computer forums for both positive and negative experiences with the hardware you are looking for. Take your time and do it right, and you will have a better item for your money. Here are some examples of pre-mades at Tiger Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=2627) - also cheaper, and does ship if you are going that route. They also sell individual parts, or will build you a custom for those parts.

Vista: In a second and larger nutshell, no. NO NO NO. I've used vista, i've tested software and hardware against vista, and my personal recommendation is that it sucks. hard. But thats just me. Do your own research first - a GIS for Vista Problems (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=vista+%2Bproblems&meta=), Vista Issues (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=vista+%2Bissues&meta=) (hey look, an entire forum just named that --- http://www.vistaissues.org/ ) and, just for fun, Vista Sucks. (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=vista+%2Bsucks&meta=) Don't get it in hopes that MS will fix it by the time you get it, thats just shooting yourself in the foot.

In regards to budgeting and your pet: Think VERY strongly before pouring out every last dollar into this. Christmas is coming up, will you have money for something under the tree for your parents and pets (if you do that kind of thing that is)? Even if you set aside $100 for a rainy day, thats better than nothing. From what i've seen in your posts, your family comes and goes with money -- it happens. But, its naive to believe that everything in the future will work out roses after you've spent all your money. What happens, when theres no money, and something bad happens with your dog again, and your parents don't have the money either because its all been spent? Then, having spent the full $500 on a new computer will leave you looking back and feeling like an a##hat. Trust me, i've seen my sister go through that.

I think that all people want you to do is seriously and objectively THINK it through, before jumping into it. /soapbox

Actually, i would build an PC if i had the time. But i have virtually built my own PC on HP's customization page. And i like it. Its everything i need and leaves room for upgrades. The one reason why i keep buying premade PCs is that you pretty much know that it'll work. When you build your own you just don't know. And since DIY PCs have parts from different manufactures such an Segate for Hard Drives but Samsung for Optical drives, you don't know what has gone wrong if your PC suddenly stops working. But with an premade you know what to fix or just call Technical Support and they will know for sure.

Lady's Human
10-10-2007, 05:19 PM
I hate to tell you this, but EVERY computer manufacturer outsources parts, and they don't always know what fails. If it falls outside the tech support flowchart, they may or may not be able to help you.

If you DIY and you properly assemble the machine, you will know precisely what fails when. (and if you build it properly it probably won't fail)

You'll also learn more about how the system works.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 05:28 PM
I hate to tell you this, but EVERY computer manufacturer outsources parts

Yes, i know. But HP's machienes are manufactured well because mine has survived through 7 years of abuse and moving. And my dads has lasted for 13 years and still runs.I trust most of my digital life to HP and it normally lives up to what i say. And i have personally designed this system so it should meet or exceed my needs. and its still under $500. The rest i will buy toys for Reggie with lol.

Catty1
10-10-2007, 05:56 PM
So they were well made 7 years ago and 13 years ago.

What about now?

Where do the parts come from?

Here's a couple of consumer review pages that look pretty good:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/computers/index.html

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/computers/index.htm

Alysser
10-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I might have supported you in the other thread, but seriously these excuses have me shocked. There is a big difference between NEED and WANT. YOU don't need a computer, you want one. You said yourself, it was voluntary. You didn't need to volunteer to do it. 899 students wouldn't be mad at you for not getting news in, that is complete BS. In my school, no one even cared. I find it VERY hard to believe your school doesn't have the technology to allow you to do it there. What about your local library? I also doubt the teachers leave as soon as the students do. What if you need extra help with something in hard subjects such as math or language arts, or anything for that matter? People have to stay after school because during the school day there is not time for that stuff.
I'm sorry but I have to agree, you are being rather selfish. I really disliked the statement "BLOW money on reggie". That means you are wasting money on something, and if you really cared about your dog then a $300 or so wouldn't be a waste. You just care so much about reputation in school, because that is more important then your pets lives I guess. Whatever, I wish you would see where we are coming from but you obviously don't seem to care.

As for deleting this thread and starting it over, this will all happen again.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I might have supported you in the other thread, but seriously these excuses have me shocked. There is a big difference between NEED and WANT. YOU don't need a computer, you want one. You said yourself, it was voluntary. You didn't need to volunteer to do it. 899 students wouldn't be mad at you for not getting news in, that is complete BS. In my school, no one even cared. I find it VERY hard to believe your school doesn't have the technology to allow you to do it there. What about your local library? I also doubt the teachers leave as soon as the students do. What if you need extra help with something in hard subjects such as math or language arts, or anything for that matter? People have to stay after school because during the school day there is not time for that stuff.
I'm sorry but I have to agree, you are being rather selfish. I really disliked the statement "BLOW money on reggie". That means you are wasting money on something, and if you really cared about your dog then a $300 or so wouldn't be a waste. You just care so much about reputation in school, because that is more important then your pets lives I guess. Whatever, I wish you would see where we are coming from but you obviously don't seem to care.

I have one question, HOW DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH REGGIE?!?!?! MY MOM AND DAD ARE TAKING HER TO THE VET!!! IM NOT! THEY SAID THEY WOULD! I am buying this desktop! i will buy Reggie some toys with the leftover money if there is any. I have the desktop placed on order for when i pay they will ship it. And there is no way to cancel that.

ilovemypup
10-10-2007, 06:43 PM
You just said this Reggie,

i will buy Reggie some toys with the leftover money if there is any
]If there is any? Come freaking on! You are going to BLOW all of your money on a COMPUTER! You are going to be in the same boat.. saying how you don't have any money for anything..

Don't say we didn't tell you!

Alysser
10-10-2007, 06:50 PM
I have one question, HOW DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH REGGIE?!?!?!

Your dog was sick and probably still IS, you made a thread complaining you and your parents had no money, and then you start this thread saying you are getting $500 to spend and you waste it on something you DON'T need! You can claim all you want that you need a computer but in reality, you are just making excuses. NO one needs a computer. I didn't get one until I was 8 and even then I was allowed on 30 minutes a day. The point is, you finally get money and you refuse to spend it on your dog because your "parents" will spend it. We don't care if you get her toys, SHE NEEDS to see a vet!! You claim she has stopped peeing blood but maybe a new problem has arisen to cause it to stop. You are not a vet, you don't know that she isn't sick anymore.

The thing that annoyed me is that you're not "going to blow money on reggie". I guess a computer is worth more then your dog.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Your dog was sick and probably still IS, you made a thread complaining you and your parents had no money, and then you start this thread saying you are getting $500 to spend and you waste it on something you DON'T need! You can claim all you want that you need a computer but in reality, you are just making excuses. NO one needs a computer. I didn't get one until I was 8 and even then I was allowed on 30 minutes a day. The point is, you finally get money and you refuse to spend it on your dog because your "parents" will spend it. We don't care if you get her toys, SHE NEEDS to see a vet!! You claim she has stopped peeing blood but maybe a new problem has arisen to cause it to stop. You are not a vet, you don't know that she isn't sick anymore.

The thing that annoyed me is that you're not "going to blow money on reggie". I guess a computer is worth more then your dog.

Hello? Anyone there? Did you read the part in large text? It clearly says my parents are going to pay for reggie to go to the vet. Repeat.

ilovemypup
10-10-2007, 06:53 PM
*clap clap* Maltese_Love that was great..*clap clap *

Alysser
10-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Hello? Anyone there? Did you read the part in large text? It clearly says my parents are going to pay for reggie to go to the vet. Repeat.

:rolleyes: I did read it, if you even read my post you'll see I said something about that. That still doesn't explain all these stupid excuses and the fact "I'm not going to BLOW money on reggie". That to me is a nicer way of saying "My dog isn't worth it, I'm not going to waste $500 on her when I can get a new computer!".

ilovemypup
10-10-2007, 06:56 PM

You acting like this isn't helping anyone. Little attitude maybe?
You don't understand that your dog is STILL SICK do you? Money or not..she is ILL!

buttercup132
10-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Hello? Anyone there? Did you read the part in large text? It clearly says my parents are going to pay for reggie to go to the vet. Repeat Don't be getting rude and acting like a smart ass. It's not going to get you anywhere. Noone here has been rude to you, they are just telling you what you don't want to hear. Even I havn't been rude to you where as I usually am. I'm trying to think of your dog what you should be doing to be responsible and so is everyone else.

Why won't you put the money away for another emergecy? I'm sure you won't have the money then either, that way at least you can show your parents your responsible and help.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 06:58 PM
You just said this Reggie,

]If there is any? Come freaking on! You are going to BLOW all of your money on a COMPUTER! You are going to be in the same boat.. saying how you don't have any money for anything..

Don't say we didn't tell you!

Well, my hobby is computers. The computer i am going to buy costs $498.99 exactly. Thats pretty low-end. And my parents are going to buy reggie some toys and are going to take her to the vet. Im responsible for my own money and this is what i chose to spend it on. Love does not mean spending your one chance to get somthing you really want (ex. the computer) on your dog when your parents are going to take care of that. Thats stupid. When your parents are going to buy reggie toys and vet care why use your own money when you can buy the one thing you have been needing and wanting to get for 5 years.

ilovemypup
10-10-2007, 07:01 PM
I don't know your Love.. but to me, love for my dogs means taking care of her, helping her out, training her, and getting off the computer and spending more time with her!

And for that last time.. you don't need a high end computer.

Alysser
10-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Love is taking proper care of an animal. FEEDING IT, GIVING IT SHELTER, and PROPER MEDICAL CARE till the last beat of its heart. Love is taking the time to care for it properly, play, spend time with it till the last beat of its heart. She is suffering if there is a long-term problem, I don't get why that's so hard for you to understand. The fact that you just said "that's stupid" says it all to me.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 07:05 PM
You acting like this isn't helping anyone. Little attitude maybe?
You don't understand that your dog is STILL SICK do you? Money or not..she is ILL!

Ok, reggies sick thread. First post = 9-29-07. Post saying she was fine = 10-03-2007. All of this ended 3 days before the 10-03-2007 post i just didnt want to say she was ok until i was sure. This was almost 1 1/2 weeks ago! She is well, happy and as active as ever. Shes not grunting in pain nor peeing blood nor having to pe every 20 min! There is NOTHING wrong with her. Its over, you've just got proven wrong and lost the argument.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't know your Love.. but to me, love for my dogs means taking care of her, helping her out, training her, and getting off the computer and spending more time with her!

And for that last time.. you don't need a high end computer.

For my hobby and for my job at school i do. And did you read the sentence right before that?

KittyGurl
10-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Oh my gosh people!! Stop picking on Collin! He is getting Reggie checked out by the vet! His mom is taking her and Collin wants to buy a computer!

Don't you all understand!!! Reggie is going to the vet: SO JUST DROP IT AND STOP PICKING ON COLLIN!!!!!

Alysser
10-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Ok, reggies sick thread. First post = 9-29-07. Post saying she was fine = 10-03-2007. All of this ended 3 days before the 10-03-2007 post i just didnt want to say she was ok until i was sure. This was almost 1 1/2 weeks ago! She is well, happy and as active as ever. Shes not grunting in pain nor peeing blood nor having to pe every 20 min! There is NOTHING wrong with her. Its over, you've just got proven wrong and lost the argument.

DOGS hide pain. First of all, no one here lost the argument. YOU ARE NOT A VET! You didn't go to school for 8 years, YOU didn't do the proper tests to see if there is anything wrong with her, you can't see inside her organs or her bladder. YOU don't know! So stop acting like a vet.

carole
10-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Ok well i have not read all the replies as there are too many, so not sure what has been said, but i just wanted to say a few things here if that is ok.

Firstly it is your decision what to spend your money on, as long as you can live with that decision.

You say your mother will take care of Reggie, well i certainly hope so.

I think you have been given some sound advice here, and it is entirely up to you whether you listen or not.

Secondly you cannot post threads saying your pup is sick and you don't have any money, and then announce you have 500 to spend on a computer and not expect some backlash, and even though you start a thread, you really have no control over where it goes from there, so saying i want this stuff about reggie to end now and only talk about computers, does not work on PT.

It is not about winning an argument here, it is about the concern and welfare of an animal, that is what PT is all about you know, and believe me if you have ever suffered from a UTI, urinary infection , they are extremely painful, just as much for an animal, and it is infact cruel to let any animal suffer with these knowingly,the pain is unbearable, just a few facts for you to consider here.,If the dog had been peeing blood i would imagine it is quite a serious situation and needs addressing smartly,usually it is just microscopic blood, so if you can see it, that dog needs urgent vet care in my opinion.

i think you need to stop being so defensive here and just realise that people are only thinking about your pet and offering you sound advice and because they genuinely care about the welfare of your pet as you should do., OK.

All I can say is i hope you enjoy your new toy, and i sincerely hope that your pup is taken care of and in the future too.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 07:13 PM
DOGS hide pain. First of all, no one here lost the argument. YOU ARE NOT A VET! You didn't go to school for 8 years, YOU didn't do the proper tests to see if there is anything wrong with her, you can't see inside her organs or her bladder. YOU don't know! So stop acting like a vet.

Read the post by Kittygurl you dweeb lol!

Almita
10-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Wow, this is pretty sad. Go ahead buy the computer just because it is the newest thing doesn't mean you have to get it for what you want to do. There's many programs for all types of computers. Yes it's your job at school, you can always go to other houses to do it or at least work it with the computer you have now. If you are getting that computer so you can have a better reputation because you want to be oh so popular that is so sad.

I'd rather use the money for important more useful in life things. Like the vet bills, i'd rather pay for it since my parents already have to pay enough bills why won't i help? It would be easier on them. Since when everyone is older, you have to get used to paying all those bills, and wuse the money for it. Not for new technology because it's the latest thing in the computer world that you should get it since everyone has it.

Pam
10-10-2007, 07:15 PM
My mom is going to take care of the vet part so i wouldnt have to blow my money on reggie.

Blow your money on Reggie? Is that how you look at it? I am sorry that I defended you in the other thread. :(

ilovemypup
10-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Listen.. I read the whole thread.. and everybody told you to take her to the vet. I read the WHOLE thread!
Stop acting like you are a vet! Do you know postivly that your dog is okay? NO!

Hellow
10-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Wow, this is pretty sad. Go ahead buy the computer just because it is the newest thing doesn't mean you have to get it for what you want to do. There's many programs for all types of computers. Yes it's your job at school, you can always go to other houses to do it or at least work it with the computer you have now. If you are getting that computer so you can have a better reputation because you want to be oh so popular that is so sad.

I'd rather use the money for important more useful in life things. Like the vet bills, i'd rather pay for it since my parents already have to pay enough bills why won't i help? It would be easier on them. Since when everyone is older, you have to get used to paying all those bills, and wuse the money for it. Not for new technology because it's the latest thing in the computer world that you should get it since everyone has it.

No, ive never wanted the latest stuff just for my rep. I need it for my job. My desktop cant do jack. My laptop is +8 years old and obviously cant do jack either. So i have an use for this latest stuff finally. And i have no people i know except on the other side of the county to go to and my mom cant drive.

Alysser
10-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Read the post by Kittygurl you dweeb lol!

Wow, yes I am such a dweeb. WTF is that?? :rolleyes: I suggest you stop calling me names and start taking a look at yourself. I DON'T care if you claim she is going to the vet at the end of the month. OH Yay! ANOTHER 30 days to suffer! :rolleyes: I doubt she is even going to the vet. And sorry I don't reply to posts yelling at me because that's just childish. DWEEB LOL :rolleyes:

ilovemypup
10-10-2007, 07:17 PM
job? you can't legally work until you are like 15..

I just hope we won't have to see a memorial thread.

Hellow
10-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Blow your money on Reggie? Is that how you look at it? I am sorry that I defended you in the other thread. :(

No, in my language, blow your money = spend it all in/on one person, place, or thing in an non-insulting way. Its just teenage talk.

Karen
10-10-2007, 07:20 PM
No one - I repeat - NO ONE should anyone neames on Pet Talk. I am closing this thread because it is going precisely nowhere. Collin, step away, go play with Reggie for 20 minutes, and come back and red peoples' posts. You ask for advice, but are resisting it with every reply, about Vista, about HP, about a computer, and about saving money.

Next time you ask for advice, please at least consider the answers you are given, instead of dismissing everything out-of-hand.