PDA

View Full Version : Ford Race to the Dream -More new Pictures, Post #101

Cincy'sMom
10-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Anyone seen commericals for the Fors Race to the Dream Challenge? If not, you can check out what it is and register here Ford Challenge (http://www.fordvehicles.com/racetothedream/)

Basically, for 9 weeks they pick weekly winners to fly down to Miami Florida Nov. 10-13 and compete in dricing competitions. I am a finialist!!! I get to go to Florida and drive at Miami Speedway!! And if I win, then I get to stay all week and go to the races, and drop the greeen flag at the Busch Race, and be an honorary Pit Crew member at the Nextel cup race, and go to the victory celebration and and....ahhh!!!!

I get the call at work,and I am shocked beyond belief! Of course they ask me who my favorite Ford driver is and blank...I'm a Chevy fan!! First things that pops in my head is Robin (Robilee) is a Carl Edwards fan, maybe I can get her his autograph. So that is who I say. Of course after I hang up I am kicking myself for not saying Kenny Shrader, but oh well!

So, I have 1 month to learn to drive stick and practice with a big truck! Anybody have a practice vechicles for me?

The details of what I won:

Nine (9) First Prizes: Each First Prize winner will receive a trip for two (2) to Miami, Florida. Trip package includes:
· Hotel accommodations (one (1) room, standard, double occupancy) for three (3) nights, four (4) days in or around Miami, FL November 10-13, 2007
· Round-trip air economy class transportation (for two (2) from a major U.S. airport close to winner’s residence to Miami, FL
· Ground transportation to Sponsor-scheduled events
· Two (2) day racing experience at Homestead-Miami Speedway
· Select Sponsored provided meals
· One (1) $200 Visa gift card for additional meals or activities
· Two (2) Ford Racing gift packages

Almita
10-09-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm jealous, I would do that if i had a license and could drive. Also old enough! That is awesome, i hope you get to win! Rooting for you :)

lizbud
10-09-2007, 06:38 PM
That's really neat. :) I can drive with a stick, it's easy to learn. I will
be a proud supporter for you. Go Amy. :) Good luck in the race.

Cinder & Smoke
10-09-2007, 06:59 PM
I am a finalist!!!
I get to go to Florida and drive at Miami Speedway!!

So, I have 1 month to learn to drive stick and practice with a big truck!

W:DW!!

How do you pull these stunts off???
Ya got a 4-Leaf Clover tattooed on your forehead?

Four weeks to become a Stick Shifter ... that Can be done! ;)

"Practice with a 'Big Truck'" ??? Uhhhh - just WHAT are you supposed to Drive?
"BIG" as in a Car Transporter/Semi? :eek: THAT might take a lil extra Coaching!

So ... who ya taking along on this adventure?
Are you taking applications, or does Ralph have that spot sewed up?

Have *Phunn*!!
:D

ramanth
10-09-2007, 07:41 PM
That's awesome Amy! Congrats! I look forward to photos. :D

Cincy'sMom
10-09-2007, 08:18 PM
"Practice with a 'Big Truck'" ??? Uhhhh - just WHAT are you supposed to Drive?
"BIG" as in a Car Transporter/Semi? :eek: THAT might take a lil extra Coaching!

No, not that big!! Like an F150/ F250 size. I'm used to driving a small truck..Ranger, Dakota size.

Ralph is pretty well tied into going. His one hang up is that he has been called for Jury duty and selection is going on. He hasn't been called in yet, but has to continue to check until the panel is chosen. If he has to go in, the trial could take 3-4 weeks. I have to return the packet by Friday at 4 pm. Hopefully by then he will know he has been released!

Karen
10-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Oh how cool! If Ralph cannot go, I know tons of folks who'd jump at the chance! ;) ;) And can drive stick, so could coach you, too!

anna_66
10-09-2007, 08:49 PM
As I told you earlier...COOL:D

I think it's awesome that someone I know is a winner...lol!

Like Karen said, I know someone who'd go if Ralph can't;)

Oh, Mark said his truck isn't a stick but you could use it...it's big!

Cincy'sMom
10-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Oh, Mark said his truck isn't a stick but you could use it...it's big!

I may take him up on that! I am hoping the regular truck stuff will be in automatics!!

RICHARD
10-10-2007, 12:06 AM
And you didn't have to eat pork and beans. :D

A hint on the manual tranny.
Think of a seesaw. Pretend you have to balance the pedals.
As you let out the clutch, give the car gas.

4 Dog Mother
10-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Well, I guess you haven't come down yet for that high you're on. How cool that you won this trip etc. If Rob was still around, he would be trying to convince you that a brother is better to take along than a husband. Didn't you go to your first truck race with him?

I can't think of anyone more deserving of this trip than you. I hope you find a truck to practice on - hey, why don't you go to a Ford dealer and tell them about your win - maybe they would let you practice on one so they could use you in some way for a commercial or something. Never hurts to ask!

Cinder & Smoke
10-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Hey, why don't you go to a Ford dealer and tell them about your win -
maybe they would let you practice on one
so they could use you in some way for a commercial or something.
Never hurts to ask!

W:)W! ~~~ GOOD Idea, Mom!!

Must be why God made you a "MOM"! ;)

Give that a shot, Amy ...
Ford may have some "strings" written into the Rules ... but ask anyhow.
A Local Dealer may *like* Mom's Idea!

Be sure to mention you come with a well-established and HUGE "Phann Klub"!

;)

Cincy'sMom
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
- hey, why don't you go to a Ford dealer and tell them about your win - maybe they would let you practice on one so they could use you in some way for a commercial or something. Never hurts to ask!

I actually mentioned that idea to Ralph last night! I just don't know how it would look to have me, the wife of a Chrysler employee, begging from Ford! Still, may be worth a shot!

I did talk to a friend here at work, and she said I can practice on her Saturn stick anytime I want, so at least that will help. I was also thinking maybe I should borrow little sis's big ol' Chevy truck to at least get used to a bigger vechile. Whatcha think Christy? I could give you the Firebird for a few days....

Cinder & Smoke
10-10-2007, 10:31 AM
I was also thinking maybe I should borrow little sis's big ol' Chevy truck
to at least get used to a bigger vechile.

Will part of the "skills tests" be 4-Wheel Driving (like they showed in the Ford videos)?

Look up "Truck Parts & Accessories" and similar headings in the Yeller Pages ...
pick out the "fancy" 4-Wheel Drive Shops and pay a quick visit ...
A 4WD SHOP may be interested in "Sponsoring" you;
and they certainly know who the Bigger & Better 4WD CLUBS are ...
contact a 4WD Club or two to see if they'd like to help the cause.
(Attend a couple weekend 4WD Rallies - do some Durt Runnin!)

We're gonna need a Team Name and Logo ...
* Truckin Fur Amy (Logo = Girl in 4WD cab, three Pooches in bed, mud flying)
* Amy Rocks ... (Logo = 4WD Truck perched atop huge boulder)
* ??

Who's handling "support donations"?

YEE-HAW!!

4 Dog Mother
10-10-2007, 11:47 AM
I'll handle any donations. Just make them out to me --- but I can't promise they will get back to her. After all there would be expenses to do such a thing!

AdoreMyDogs
10-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Wow how cool that you get to do that! Congrats on the win, that's really amazing!

Cincy'sMom
10-20-2007, 02:38 PM
It's getting closer....yesterday Ford Racing called to let me know that I paased the background/driving check and to book our flight. Seems they couldn't get us in earlier enough on Saturday, and wanted to know if we minded flying down Friday night. Hmmm..another free night in a nice hotel...not at all!!!

Cinder & Smoke
10-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Ford Racing called ... wanted to know if we minded flying down Friday night.

Hmmm..another free night in a nice hotel ... not at all!!!

So ... do we have our Team Name & Logo decided upon??

How's the Driver Training going??
Are you an "experienced" 4-Wheeler yet?

Goooooo, Amy!
;)

Cincy'sMom
10-20-2007, 03:02 PM
No training yet. I was in Minneapoils this week, speaking at a Medical Device conference. Hope to practice some manual transmission this week!

AmberLee
10-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Congratulations. I'm so excited for you. Wow.

Cinder & Smoke
10-20-2007, 03:28 PM
:eek:

No training yet.

Hope to practice some manual transmission this week!

Good GREIF, Girl ~~~ Friday will soon BE here!!

Hope you're planning to put in some LOOOONG lunch hours and a
few all-nighters behind the wheel!

* clutch down
* SHIFT to 1
* clutch up (slowl & smoothe)
* give 'er gas
* when it won't GO any faster ...
* off the gas + clutch down
* SHIFT 1 to 2
* clutch up
* give 'er gas
* repeat till you run outta numbers on the Stick

Piece a cake!

Cincy'sMom
10-21-2007, 07:04 AM

Good GREIF, Girl ~~~ Friday will soon BE here!!

"Friday" isn't until November 9. Plenty of time!!!

Cinder & Smoke
10-21-2007, 07:24 AM
"Friday" isn't until November 9. Plenty of time!!!

:o
Ohhhhhhh ... :p

Ya got some "Training Vehicles lined up?

So, are "we" gonna have Team Shirts wiffa Logo, an HATZ, an Dawg Collars?

Gooooo, Amy!

anna_66
10-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Amy, Mark and I were just talking about this...are they going to be filming it or anything so us 'regular' people get to see it:p
I wanna watch you drive:D

Cincy'sMom
10-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Amy, Mark and I were just talking about this...are they going to be filming it or anything so us 'regular' people get to see it:p
I wanna watch you drive:D

On the website, they have little clips from last year, so somewhere someone is taping. I don't think it is aired, like the Speed Road Tour Challenge or anything, but maybe they give participants a DVD or something? Maybe if we take our video camera, Ralph can get some footage? We'll figure somethig out!

Ralph has been up for Federal Jury Duty, and when he went in, he told them about this package we won. The Lawyers through they would be done with the trial by then, so they weren't too concerned. But they said "She doesnt get to drive the car or anything, does she?" Ralph says yeah she does. "Well, I wouldn't let my wife do that! What does her mom think of this?" Ralph says, "Her mom is okay with it, and her dad is hoping you prevent me from going, so he gets to!"

And yes, they did pick Ralph for the jury! ( but no court that week as the judge is out of town!)

ramanth
10-21-2007, 09:46 AM
How exciting! So funny about the lawyers. If they only knew. ;) Glad Ralph will get to go!

Cincy'sMom
10-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Started some training today....

Monday morning when I got into work, the chemistry manager, who is my former boss, a friend, and huge NASCAR fan, decided it was time to get moving on this, and started talking about hooking up with a local Ford delaer (sound familiar ;)) So I put him in charge of "training"

We went over to one of the Dealer's here in town today, and after explaining the whole deal to 2-3 guys, we finally got a Nascar fan. He thought the prize was very cool and was pretty jealous! But he sat down and was explaining racing to me from his motorocycle experience, and then was talking through the different cars I could try and what experience they would give me. We started in a 2008 Mustang 5 Speed. It took me a while to get the hang of starting in 1st again, but once I got going, shifting is no biggie. My friend was very patient at "teaching" me manual transmission and at least outwardly didn't freak down at my bunny hop starts and stalls!

We took the Mustang back and then took out an automatic F150. I must be used to driving a bigger car now, cuase it didn't feel nearly as big as the one I test drove 4 years ago. The sales guy was really ineterested in the contest and said I could come back to try other cars...he get me in a F250 and maybe back in the Mustang. Hopefully he doesn't get tired of seeing me over there!!

If things work out, plans for Sunday are to go to my friends house and hook his trailer up to his Chevy Avalance. Get me used to towing something, since I never have, and the video showed them pulling a trailer....

RICHARD
10-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Remember.

Little gas. little clutch.....just like a see saw...

And practice...How's it gonna look if you can't do the "winner's burnout" :eek:

Cinder & Smoke
10-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Started some training today....

My friend was very patient at "teaching" me manual transmission and at least outwardly
didn't freak down at my bunny hop starts and stalls!

... said I could come back to try other cars ... he get me in a F250 and maybe back in the Mustang.

... and the video showed them pulling a trailer ...

Ahhh yes ~ Driving 102 ... Stick Shiftin ...

Glad you got enrolled in Skewel - study hard!

Any chance you could call someone connected with the Ford program and ask
What Skills you'll be required to demonstrate?

It'd be nice if you could practice only the skills you'll need in the Contest.

I thought I saw a Dually Pickup in some of the still pix ... if at all possible get a
lil "drive time" in a Dually :eek: ... They're a LOT *wider* than you *think* they are!

Are ya wearin a driver's Helmet and Nomex Suit for your practice sessions?

GOOD LUCK - Drive FAST!!

Cinder & Smoke
10-24-2007, 07:45 PM
How's it gonna look if you can't do the "winner's burnout" :eek:

I think the challenge here is to save the BurnOut till the checkered flag lap -
and NOT do a burnout when the green flag drops!

;)

cyber-sibes
10-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey this is really cool, Amy! Definitly gonna look forward to seeing the pics! Whose mom & dad are going to babysit the pups while you & Ralph go have fun? Or can ya stuff them in a suitcase & bring them along? ;)

Cinder & Smoke
10-27-2007, 09:20 AM
:confused:

So, Driver, how go the Practice Sessions?

Which *skills* are we werkin on?

Are we *goin FAST* yet?

Go **FASTER**!

lizbud
10-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Hey Amy, exactly how big are the trucks you will be driving? Does it have
the 4 on the floor, or column shift? I'm starting to feel the excitement, and
I'm not even driving. :D Lots to luck on the race. :)

Cincy'sMom
10-28-2007, 06:50 AM
No, no more driving practice yet this weekend. Yesterday was game day...Wolverines Vs the Golden Gerbils! My first game at the Big House!!

Liz, I think the trucks will just be stock F150s and F250s. I'm hoping those will be automatics, and only the race car will be a manual. I think I can handle that!

Thanks for the encouragement both of you (and others!) I'm getting excited too, only 2 more weeks!

Cincy'sMom
11-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Guess it is offical now...my picture has been added to the website. www.racetothedream.com

We got our information packet on Friday. Looks like Ralph spends most of Saturday and Sunday chillin at the hotel pool, or touring Miami, while I am in training, then he gets to come to the track on Monday for actaul competition. We leave this Friday, and One week from today, 1pm is the Race!!! Good thoughts please!!

Cinder & Smoke
11-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Guess it is official now ... my picture has been added to the website.
www.racetothedream.com (http://www.racetothedream.com)

Saturday and Sunday ... I am in training ...
Monday ... One week from today, 1pm is the Race!!!

Good thoughts please!!

Good Pix, Driver ... but ya shudda worn your Helmet to psyche 'em all out!

Watch those Fiur Guys ... they'll be tuff nuts to beat.

Now, let's get *SERIOUS* with Practice this week ... NO "excuses" ...
Go do some *SHIFTIN* and 4-Wheelin!

You'll have the Largest and most wide-spread "Phann Klub" *ROOTIN* for you
on Race Day
--- ALL of Pet Talk + your Lab and Chrysler ...
Hear us *ROAR*!

Have *PHUNN* and Drive ***FAST***!

lizbud
11-05-2007, 12:13 PM
It looks like there are two spots still open for week 7 & 8. We'll be rooting
for you Amy. Best of luck & just remember, "take no prisoners' :D

anna_66
11-05-2007, 01:56 PM
*Favorite Ford Driver-Carl Edwards* Too Funny:p:D

I'll be thinking about you and wishing you the best of luck.
Have fun you two!

ramanth
11-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Darnnit... the site is down. :( Regardless... good luck!! :D

captain
11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Go Amy
Go Amy
Go Amy

Cincy'sMom
11-08-2007, 04:24 PM
For any of you that might be in the listening area, I will be giving a radio interview tomorrow afternoon at 3:30pm EST on AM 1370 WSPD. I thought at one time they might have online programing as well, but I'm not sure on that...

Edit: I just checked their page and on the top right hand corner, there is a click to listen option.

WSPD (http://www.wspd.com/main.html)

lizbud
11-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Cool :cool: :cool: I'll check back to give a listen tomorrow.

Cinder & Smoke
11-08-2007, 07:22 PM
I will be giving a radio interview FRIDAY afternoon at 3:30pm EST on AM 1370 WSPD.

Edit: I just checked the WSPD Radio home page and
on the top right hand corner, there is a click to listen option.

*Click On* WSPD (http://www.wspd.com/main.html)

Step-by-Step to Listen:

* Click on the WSPD Radio web site >>> http://www.wspd.com/main.html

* Click on the Upper Right Corner "click to LISTEN LIVE" button

* IF it doesn't start to load the "listening page" ...
** RIGHT CLICK on the "click to LISTEN LIVE" button
** FIND the "PLAY" choice and *click* it to ON (checked)

* NOW the Live Player should start to load.

*** Works fine even on dial-up connections.

GO AMY!! ~~~ Drive FAST!!

anna_66
11-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Dang, I won't get to hear it. I'll be on a plane high in the sky:D
Good Luck!

cyber-sibes
11-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah Amy! I'll try to catch it tomorrow, thanks for the link, Phred!

cyber-sibes
11-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Got your links working?
Countdown...about 45 minutes to go.... :D

lbaker
11-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Oh POOP, it's still not working for me :mad: :( I will be watching the race though, at least I hope so!!

4 Dog Mother
11-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Well, Amy just called. Unfortunately, the radio station called her and told her they would not be doing the interview after all. Appartently, they don't think that there is enough interest with their normal listeners to give her a 10 minute spot. She tried letting them know that listeners would be tuning in on the internet from all over the world, but they didn't feel that made a difference. She would have posted this news herself, but her home computer is down right now and she's busy at home finishing her packing. Thanks to all of you though who had planned on tuning in to listen!

Cinder & Smoke
11-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Dumm Radio Station has a lotta nerb! :mad:

Well, Amy just called.
Unfortunately, the radio station called her and told her they would not be doing the interview after all.
Apparently, they don't think that there is enough interest with their normal listeners
to give her a 10 minute spot.

NUTZ!

I think this calls for a Nastee-Gram to the station's program director!

THANKS for the Alert, Amy ... and so SORRY for your disappointment.

Now you can just focus on the Shiftin & Drivin!

And remember ~ You're gonna have **PHUNN** doin this!

GOOOOO, Amy ~~~ Drive **FASST**!! :D

cyber-sibes
11-09-2007, 02:44 PM
I was wondering what happened, cause they're talking about all kinds of other stuff. Oh well, what do they know? :rolleyes:

Well Amy, at least all of us tuning in are on the same vibe today! have fun, go fast, be safe! You & Ralph have a wonderful time!

Cinder & Smoke
11-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Dumm Radio Station has a lotta nerb! :mad:

I think this calls for a Nastee-Gram to the station's program director!
---------------------------

And remember ~ You're gonna have **PHUNN** doin this!

Ref: the *squwalk* to the "Program Director" ...

Guess What?

The "Program Director" in none other than "Brian Wilson" ...
who just happens to ALSO be the On-Air "Talent" that was to do Amy's Interview. :rolleyes:

Feel free to rattle his cage - I sent him a Note of Complaint ...
E-Mail Address = [email protected]

/s/ Phred

lbaker
11-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I just sent a verrrry sarcastic email to him *hee hee hee*. It felt good reminding him just how BIG NASCAR IS with women & men and how many people would have been listening to his "little hometown radio station" had he not cancelled. heh heh heh. ;)

Cinder & Smoke
11-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Hey MOM!!

Did "Our Driver and her *Pit Crew* >get there< yet?

Hope they remembered to check in wiff Mom.

Wish her WELL when you talk to her ...
and let us all know if they decide to televise any of the Event.

GOOOOO, Amy ~~~ Drive **FASST**!!

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

4 Dog Mother
11-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Christy got a text message about 10:37 pm last night - they had landed safely and all was well with both of them. Hope to hear more today!

4 Dog Mother
11-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Amy is currently on the phone with an update right now! Today was day one of practice. One thing they practiced was an off road course in a Ford F-150. She said that was totally awesome. The other thing they practiced was driving the Ford F-350 truck some. She said that's going to be the challenge of it all for her. They have to back a Ford F-350 Dually with a 24-foot trailer at a 90 degree angle after completing a road course.

More practice tomorrow. They get like 3-10 lap sessions in stock cars with an in car instructor, get to do a pit stop, and then they will also practice more of what they did today. I think she said something about one of the challenges being tomorrow night too, but the bulk of the challenges are actually set for Monday!

Parts of this challenge will also include drag races, but we're sketchy on the specifics so she'll give the majority of the details when she's home and can post herself. She's supposed to call with an update tomorrow night if she can, so we'll try to update you all as we learn more then! Again, thanks for everybody's support.

Cinder & Smoke
11-10-2007, 09:58 PM
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

The other thing they practiced was driving the Ford F-350 truck some.
She said that's going to be the challenge of it all for her.
They have to back a Ford F-350 Dually with a 24-foot trailer at a 90 degree angle
after completing a road course.

OMG!

Backing a trailer can be a bit of a "challenge" ... here's the Fire Department way >>>
(Ask Sista Christy to *TEXT* this to Our Driver >>>

Grip the Steering Wheel at the BOTTOM (NOT the top or sides)

Move Hands and BOTTOM of steering wheel in the direction you Want the TRAILER to go ...

Move BOTTOM of wheel to the LEFT (the wheel is turning CLOCKwise) and the
TRAILER will turn to the LEFT (or toward the driver's side).

Move BOTTOM of wheel to the RIGHT, and the TRAILER turns to the RIGHT
(or towards the passenger side).

Make GENTLE corrections ... if things go wrong - PULL STRAIGHT AHEAD
till the rig is lined up straight and try again.

Best to face yourself FORWARD and watch the action in your mirrors.

It's (almost) easy! :p ;)

GOOOOO, Amy ~~~ Drive **FASST**!!

Cinder & Smoke
11-12-2007, 08:05 AM
I think she said something about one of the challenges being tomorrow night too,
but the bulk of the challenges are actually set for Monday!

She's supposed to call with an update tomorrow (Sunday) night if she can,
so we'll try to update you all as we learn more then!
Again, thanks for everybody's support.

Well ??? :confused:

Did we hear from Our Driver (or her Pit Crew) last night?

How's the Amy Go FAASST! Project coming along?

Today's the Big Race Day ... so >>>

Have **PHUNN** and >>>

GOOOOO, Amy ~~~
Drive **FAASST**!!

4 Dog Mother
11-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Last update was last night and she is having a ball! She didn't do very well with the challenge of backing up the truck with a trailer so she doesn't expect to win the big prize but she is having a great time. I am sure she will have lots to report when she gets home. She said Ralph went to the beach yesterday and to some shops - he was having a good time too even though he doesn't get to go to the racetrack with her. Today there will be some drag racing and other things that not being a race fan I can't remember. Maybe Christy and her dad can get on later - but it looks like they will be home tomorrow.

Cinder & Smoke
11-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Are we havin **PHUNN**?

She is having a ball!

She didn't do very well with the challenge of backing up the truck with a trailer
so she doesn't expect to win the big prize ...
but she is having a great time.

... but it looks like they will be home tomorrow.

Hey ... WE ALL Had **PHUNN** - chequered flaggie or not!

Not ebberbuddie can say they've {{{HUGGED}}} a NASCAR Driver!
Now WE can!

BIGG {{{HUGS}}} to OUR Driver!!

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif

Cinder & Smoke
11-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Well ... :confused:

How did "WE" do?

Are we gonna have "Film at 11" ??
Sure hope "we" had **PHUNN** ... The Pep Squad sure did!

;)

anna_66
11-13-2007, 02:52 PM
I can't wait to hear how things went for you Amy, sounds like it was fun!

4 Dog Mother
11-13-2007, 05:44 PM
She called Christy (home) this morning to say they were at the airport but wouldn't be in Toledo until 5:30 pm. Ralph's parents were picking them up and taking them back to their house to pick up the dogs. Don't know if we will hear from them or not. The awards banquet was held last night but they only announced the top three. She was not one of them. But she said she found out that every one there had more experience than she did. The retired lady raced sprint cars! But she was still very excited about her experience and very glad she got to go - a once in a life time experience for sure!

Cinder & Smoke
11-13-2007, 06:15 PM
She found out that every one there had more experience than she did.
The retired lady raced sprint cars!

A *RINGER* in the crowd! :p

Glad she had **PHUNN** ...

and I'll bet she DID GO FAASST!!

Cincy'sMom
11-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Hey everybody! Just a quick note to let you know we got in okay. We are still at Ralph's parents sharing videos and photos. We do have our computer back, but not re-hooked up. I am off tomorrow so I will do that then and share all the pictures. All I can say is awesome, awesome, awesome!!

Thanks for all the support!!!

Cincy'sMom
11-14-2007, 07:07 AM
The computer is back up and running! I am loading camera software now and will get pictures up soon, but thought I'd start by explaining the weekend, even though I can not put everything into words...too amazing!

We flew down Friday night, planes were all early if you can believe that! We were met at the airport by a private car (extended, but not limo), to take us to the hotel. We got there around 11:30 and walkd around a few minutes, but I was hungry!! We went across the street and got some appetizers at the Cheesecake Factory (YUM!) and then went back to the hotel, where I realized I totally overlooked the welcome package they left in our room. I duffle bag, 3 polo shirts, 2 t-shirts, 2 hats, candy, pop, bottled water, sunscreen, a disposbale camera, a pad of paper, a $200 Visa card and on....

Saturday morning we headed down to the lobby to meet the rest of the contestants and head to the track. One couple was from Jackson, Michigan (only about an 1 hour or so from us). and another couple, although from Iowa, are huge Eldora fans, and come every summer. Another couple has dirt sprint cars and comes racing in Ohio at Fremont and Attica every year.

So we get to the Speedway, and go to the Championship Club. This is a boxed (suite type) area in Turn 1 where we signed all our waivers, got our pictures taken, etc. We then got to meet our instructors, (we each had 2 personal for the entire weekend, one for the truck , one for the car), we had lunch, and then time to talk, get to know each other, etc. while they were shuffling us a few at a time for our physicals. The whole time, the Petty school is going on, so there is carsint he background, and just an awesome setting.

The physicals weren't real detailed, blood pressure, listen to our heart and lungs etc., but they actaully took us, into the infield, to the Care Center. Not somewhere you want to end up, but sorta neat to actually get to see what the infied care center is!

After that, our guests were taken back to the hotel and we start checking
out the trucks. We got a quick overview of the trucks and their features and then we split off into groups to go to the off-road course and trailer tow. My group went to the off-road course first. They ran a demo for us, then it was our turn to jump in and start the ride. Being shy like I am, I jumped up there and was the first one to attempt the course. Wow! My poor Nitro may not be the same, cause I am going to have to find somewhere to go off-roading. It was dirt ina parking lot, but they did a great job! We worked that suspension hard on those trucks! Across bridges, up hills, up on the outside of the race track, just a ton of fun.

Next we went over to the trailer tow. I have never, ever, ever, pulled anything in my life, and now I have to jump in a F350 Dually and haul a 24 ft trailer, through a course, back it up about 70 ft. turn it at a right angle, and drag race down the strip, lock the brakes, and stop before hitting a fence. We hung back on this one and waited til last. I made it through the course fine, only got maybe 1 cone, but man backing it in was rough!! Finally got it, but wow! The drag race of course was awesome and so impressive with how the truck stopped, you would never know it was also stopping a good size trailer.

After that, it was back to the hotel fora quick shower, then dinnerwith the group. And they did not skimp on food either! That night we had steak, a potato bar (mashed potatoes, add whatever toppings you like, cheese, mushroom, bacon, sour cream, onion, etc. and they heated in a pan for you, and served it in a martini glass). Also had a pasta bar with various noodles, sauces, veggies, garlic, etc, cheese trays, fruit and all kinds of pastries for dessert.

I need to restart the computer to finish loading the camera software, and we'll get on to day 2!

Cinder & Smoke
11-14-2007, 07:35 AM
... even though I can not put everything into words...too amazing!

I need to restart the computer to finish loading the camera software, and we'll get on to day 2!

Sounds like maybe she had just a lil bitta **PHUNN**!

anna_66
11-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Sounds like maybe she had just a lil bitta **PHUNN**!

OMG I was thinking the same thing! Can't wait to hear "The Rest of the Story":D

Cincy'sMom
11-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Day 2

We got to the track on Sunday morning around 8 am and had breakfast in the Busch Garages. Little weird to be eating where next week, they will be working on their cars, but cool at the same time.

After breakfast, we headed out to the track for our first 10 lap session. I was in the last group to go (3 at a time), and got to drive one of Elliot Sadler’s old 38, M&M’s cars. It was a blast! Since we were on the track with other cars, we could pass if we caught, and so toward the end of my run, I did catch someone on the backstretch and passed in turn 3.

After that, we then went out for a 20 lap run, and had to come in 3 times for stop and go on pit road. Somebody else screwed up my 38 (problem in the rear end), so I had to change cars, and ride in the Fusion’07. Not a bad ride, but not quite so hooked up. We had to run the course a little more true, and not cheat so much, couldn’t get back in the throttle as earlier. And of course, all three times on pit road, I stalled it out, but we got her back running. We ran out of gas with 3 to go, so I had to squeeze in my 3 laps a little later, during competition. Worked out well, gave me another pit road start, and my instructor and I worked out a plan, and fixed a few things for us. I did my 10 lap competition run, when we had to come in a make a stop and go, and that time we didn’t stall her. It was a good run.

We then had lunch, before heading over to the on-road courses. First, we ran the precision driving course, where we just had go through an auto cross course. Next we went and practiced the drag race with the tree and everything. Finally it was back to the trailer tow for another practice run there. I still didn’t get as well as I liked, but a lot of the instructors were firefighters, and were offering the same advice as Phred. It did help, but it still was tough for me.

After that, we started competition. First up was the off-road course. I was 8 out of 9 to go, and what a ride!!! I took the first part pretty easy, but after coming down the banking from the speedway, I was moving pretty good. There was one tight turn, I had to back up and re angle, to missed the concrete barrier, hit the gas, sent some mud flying and up the hill we went. I gassed it on the way up, hit the huge bump, bounced, came down, my foot landed on the gas, and my arm (or chest?) hit the horn. We launched! Went airborn and planted it on the other side of the hill. I think we scared all the Ford People on the other side of the hill. Finished the run, my instructor and I were laughing!!!! It thought it was so cool! And everyone that it awesome I honking the horn to get their attention so they all got to see us flying. I think they were all making much more dramatic then it was, but it was cool.

After that was the trailer tow, competition and man, that was a struggle. But I got her backed in, didn’t get a DQ, and survived. That was what we were hoping for. After that we ran the precision road course, pretty decent there, only caught 1 cone, in 2 runs. Finally (and by this time it was dark!) we competed in the drag race. I didn’t get quite the jump I would have liked, but how cool. We only got up to about 80 (1/4 mile), but we only had a few hundred feet to get ‘em slowed down. By the end of the day, my right leg was a little sore, from standing on the gas, then standing on the brake all day.

After that we went back for dinner, where we had steak, and chicken, and salmon, and potatoes and veggies, salad, and bread, and a sundae bar with alllllll the fixings.

I should mention, guets stayed at the hotel Sunday, so Ralph missed all this and only got to hear the stories later. He took a cab down to South Beach, spent some time there, and then came back to the hotel and had some drinks with some of the Dale Jarret instructors.

lbaker
11-14-2007, 09:01 AM
WHOA Amy, I'm exhausted just reading about it!! :eek: :D Good job!!

4 Dog Mother
11-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Sounds like you had a great time - can't wait to see the pictures. You can't know how proud I am of you kiddo. You are always willing to try something new - I know I would have never been able to take part in that kind of competition. And no matter what - even going up against others who had some experience at least in driving trucks and backing trailers - you turn it into a fun and awesome experience. You are truly Awesome Amy! Your brother is smiling down from heaven saying "I could have done better but wow, you did great, sis! I am proud of you!"

anna_66
11-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Amy that is so AWESOME! Wow, I don't know if I could have done it!
What an experience!!!!

I'll be waiting for the pictures:D

Cincy'sMom
11-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Day 3

For the final day, our guests got to go with us. We started with breakfast at the track again, then it was photo op time. We got lots of pictures with the group, with our instructors, etc., etc. Finally we got to get back on the track, and go out for another 10 lap run. My instructor warmed up the Aaron’s Dream Machine 00 and decided he had to get me in that car. It was too big for me, but we padded her up and what a ride! We could run a little higher line then the day before and there was so much grip, we could stay in the gas a lot longer in the corners, and then get back in the throttle earlier.

Next was our 2 lap qualifying run. I should mention all the competitions were in an ’08 Fusion. They had 2 of those, so everyone was using the same car, same step, etc., one was just a little longer, since we had contestants from my short little 5’3” up to Dave, who was 6’8”. There was no way we were driving the same car!

So my first lap wasn’t bad, I think Ralph timed it at about a 41.5 (or average speed of 130 mph). I had run some quicker laps in practice, but lap 2 was going to be better. We cheated the corners bad, were back in the throttle earlier and cooking!!! We came into Turn 3 hot, and about the place you wanted to start maintaining speed, we were already getting back in the throttle. The car got a front end chatter, so I had to let off the gas. We turned toward the wall, to try to get the tires to catch, but no luck. We had to yank off the wall, and start headed for the grass/pit road wall. Tires were screaming! We finally caught, fished tailed out of it, and came down the front stretch in the middle of the track, never hitting a thing! We still ran a 42.3 that lap, with all that. If we held it, I think we would have been in the 39’s, easy. Of course, we go back around, to get on pit road, and as I am braking I am shaking like a leaf. My right leg is doing a tap dance on the pedal. We got in, I climbed out sat on the window and pumped my arms. Then I decided that was enough, so I stood up on the door, like the drivers do. (After that everyone started doing it, but I was first!!)

We weren’t done of the track yet. We ran another 10 lap practice, and I was little gun shy at first. Ran up a bit slower (average speed around 123), and I got passed. But as my confidence built back up we got back run 40.5 second laps, and ran that car down, and passed ‘em back! This one we did our practice pit stop, where the guys come over the wall, jack the car up, run the air gun (don’t actually change any tires), but then we are down and away. Our final even on the track, was the competition just like that, 5 laps, pit stop, 5 laps. I stalled her out on pit road, but got it re-fired on my own and didn’t loose too much time. All told, we ran 72 laps. Quite an experience!!

After that, it was back to truck competition. We ran the off-road course again, and this time I kept it a little more under control. I finally made the gate at the top of the first hill (only about 3 or 4 of us ever got through it clean), and it wasn’t as exciting as the first run, but I think we had a better time. We wrapped up with the Precision course, and I ran it my fastest and I ran it clean, no cones touched.

After that, we had out victory lane celebration, champion and all. The winner was a firefighter and late model racer from Mississippi.

Finally, dinner was at a restaurant that was open only to our group. We were there from about 7:30 to almost 11, having a few drinks and saying goodbye to everyone. The whole thing was amazing!

I can’t say enough about the way Ford put this together and the people they had involved. If you ever want to go to a racing school, check out Dale Jarrett’s. The guys there are awesome! Great people, a ton of fun, and very talented!

As for my 2 instructors, they were the best! I’m sure everyone thought that about theirs, but I know I had the 2 greatest guys there. We're going to try to meet up in Kentucky at some point with Joe, my DJ instructor and let Ralph have a turn. Sean, my truck-driving instructor is from our area, and lives pretty close to the track up in Michigan. He is going to be in Toledo in a few weeks, so we are going meet up with him then, but we are also talking about going to the dog park (he has an 11 month old lab, and isn’t too far from the parks in Saline or Lansing), going go-kart racing and hanging out. I now you always say those things, and they don’t always happen, but I do hope we get the chance to keep in touch with both of them.

So, sign up for next year! But make sure you use a phone number that you can always get to. I found out they called once and if you didn’t answer, they called the next person on the list. I was #2 my week, but some people were 5 or 7 or even 11 for their week.

cyber-sibes
11-14-2007, 09:27 AM
OMG :eek: , that sounds like so much fun for you, although I would have been quite happy hanging out with Ralph on the sidelines! You're brave, girl!!! Plus it sounds like you're going to get a chance to get together with some of them for more fun & fast driving - cool! Looking forward to the pictures!

Cincy'sMom
11-14-2007, 09:30 AM
One more thing, and hopefully the pictures are almost done uploading. There will be a 3o second commerical sometime Sunday during the race, showing highlights from Monday. I don't know if I'll be in it or not, but it will show what we did, and the champion.

Cincy'sMom
11-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Okay, this is a new site, so I'm not sure how to share pictures yet, but we'll give it a shot. It says it could be 24 hours, before it becomes a public album, so I'll try to send out some invites to it as well.

It doesn't seem like it is going to let me post anythign directly here, but here is the album, maybe?

Ford Race to the Dream (http://www.photogra.com/index.cfm?p=viewphoto&albumID=1846362&d=1)

It doesn't look like it is there yet, but by tomorrow, you will be able to use that link, go to public albums, and under Sports, select Auto Racing. My album is called Ford Race to the Dream

Cinder & Smoke
11-14-2007, 12:21 PM
It doesn't seem like it is going to let me post anythign directly here, but here is the album, maybe?

Ford Race to the Dream (http://www.photogra.com/index.cfm?p=viewphoto&albumID=1846362&d=1)

It doesn't look like it is there yet, but by tomorrow, you will be able to use that link, go to public albums, and under Sports, select Auto Racing.
My album is called Ford Race to the Dream.

I got to it both by *Invitation* and by following the steps:
* Open Photogra.com
* Go to Public Albums
* Auto Racing
* Click on Amy's "Ford Race to the Dream"

Try THIS as a direct link >>>

http://www.photogra.com/index.cfm?p=viewphoto&albumID=1846362&PG=Yes&d=1

NOTE:
Really GREAT collection of *snappies*!!

Watch Our Driver GO FASST!!

Logan
11-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh, Amy, I got excited reading your reports! What fun that was!!!!! I don't know if I could have done it, but I'm so glad you did and that you are reporting it all to us!!!! :D Like your mom, I'm proud of you, too!!!!!

Cinder & Smoke
11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Your brother is smiling down from heaven saying
"I could have done better but wow, you did great, Sis!
I am proud of you!"

Don't think so ...

Ole Rob had his helmet on and was Ridin Shotgun the whole weekend ...
Who do you think was Blowin the Horn!? :D

Only thing he was sayin was "Give 'er more gas, Sis! ... GO FAASSTER!"

Cincy'sMom
11-14-2007, 01:43 PM
One more addition...

This was my pit road practice stop Pit Stop (http://www.sharkle.com/video/145026/)

anna_66
11-14-2007, 01:55 PM
I was so excited with your call this morning and to hear it all in person! Again...WOW! It sounds like it was so awesome!
Too bad you didn't get 1st place, but it sounds like it was a blast any way!

I'm looking at the pictures now...Ralph, was that you taking pictures of boobies and butts :o :p :D

Oh Amy you look nice in your suit! I love the pictures of the group standing in front of the car...COOL! Now I can say I have a friend who's a race car driver:D

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pictures...gets me all excited again...LOL!

You Rock Amy!

Cinder & Smoke
11-14-2007, 01:57 PM
;)

NICE Pit Stop, Driver! ... Hit right on the Marks!

Good Tyre *CHIRP* on the exit, too!

:cool:

lbaker
11-14-2007, 02:16 PM
I had to laugh at the "boobies & butts" also :p :D

Cincy'sMom
11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I had to laugh at the "boobies & butts" also :p :D

Oops! I shoulda taken those out before I uploaded!! I may have forgotten to mention that South Beach is top-optional! Those pictures we re a special request for one of Ralph's friends....a retirement present, if you will!

Cinder & Smoke
11-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Oh, they're just *phine* ... no need to remove 'em! :p

Oops! I shoulda taken those out before I uploaded!!
I may have forgotten to mention that South Beach is top-optional!

RALPH!

Next tyme - get CLOSER - (or Zoooom more)!!

4 Dog Mother
11-15-2007, 08:43 AM
And now we know why Ralph didn't mind not going to the race track every day!

cyber-sibes
11-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Cool pictures!(and a few hot ones, too ;) )
I know I could never do that, I would be way too scared! Love that first car with all the colors on it - you look good behind the wheel! Thanks for sharing all your photos :D

ramanth
11-15-2007, 05:13 PM
What a great time Amy! Loved the report, photos, and video. Blue is your color. :D

I got a chuckle out out of the beach photos too. ;)

shais_mom
11-17-2007, 12:26 AM
You are truly Awesome Amy! Your brother is smiling down from heaven saying "I could have done better but wow, you did great, sis! I am proud of you!"

I just got caught up with this. :)
I'm so glad you won this experience Amy!
Sounds like you had a fabulous time!!
(Ralph too! ;))

I must say tho- this made the tears flow!!!
God Bless you all!!
vrrrrooooooooooooooooomm!

Cincy'sMom
11-17-2007, 02:19 PM
There was an short article in one of our local weekly papers today.

Toledo Free Press (http://toledofreepress.com/?id=6706)

Cinder & Smoke
11-17-2007, 03:53 PM
There was a short article in one of our local weekly papers today.

Toledo Free Press (http://toledofreepress.com/?id=6706)

:cool:

W:)W!

**NICE** write-up, Driver!! ;)

That reporter was almost as Pumped Up as YOU are!

Have you taken off your Driver's Suit, yet?

lizbud
11-17-2007, 04:41 PM
You looked like a pro in that pit stop. :D What a wonderful experience
for you Amy. I'll have to get your autograph at the next Findley getogether.

Did you really get to keep your driving outfit?

Cincy'sMom
11-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Did you really get to keep your driving outfit?

I did! But no, Phred, I haven't put it back on since we finsihed competition on Monday. Not quite sure what I am going to do with it yet, but it will most likely become part of our sports bar themed basement....

Cinder & Smoke
11-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Not quite sure what I am going to do with it yet ...

WEAR IT to the next NASCAR race ...
and keep your eyes open for an un-occupied race car on the grid ...

How Fast can you *hop in* and *buckle up*? :cool:

Angus's Dad
11-18-2007, 05:02 PM
We seen you Amy:D

Cinder & Smoke
11-18-2007, 07:58 PM
We saw you, Amy! :D

NUTZ! ~~~ IMissed it! :mad:

Guess I need a TV in the bathroom. :rolleyes:

Can anybody post it on YouTube or on here as a Video Clip?

Cincy'sMom
11-19-2007, 06:20 AM
I don't see that Ford has it ontheir site yet, athough they are supposed to. In the meantime, maybe I can video it from the TV tonight and post it. I'll try!

Cincy'sMom
12-13-2007, 09:41 PM
I know the trip was a month ago, but I still keep getting reminders of the fun! Lat week, I got a check in the mail from the Ad agency that did the commerical during the Miami Race. Can you believe we got paid for that? Not only that, but I got a letter from the Screen Actors guild that I am now eligible to join! Does that mean I can vote on the Oscars?

Yesterday I got another package in the mail from Ford, a 2008 Die-Cast Ford Fusion Car of Tomorrow, and a CD of pictures that the professional photographer took. I have uploaded those here (http://labsnspots.shutterfly.com/action/pictures?a=67b0de21b35ee34da4f9)

(there are also a few mixed in that one of the other contestants sent me). Another of the contestants asked everyone to send them pictures, and they are compiling them for everyone, so I should have more to share soon!

shais_mom
12-13-2007, 09:46 PM
I know the trip was a month ago, but I still keep getting reminders of the fun! Lat week, I got a check in the mail from the Ad agency that did the commerical during the Miami Race. Can you believe we got paid for that? Not only that, but I got a letter from the Screen Actors guild that I am now eligible to join! Does that mean I can vote on the Oscars?

Yesterday I got another package in the mail from Ford, a 2008 Die-Cast Ford Fusion Car of Tomorrow, and a CD of pictures that the professional photographer took. I have uploaded those here (http://www.shutterfly.com/share/pictures.jsp)

(there are also a few mixed in that one of the other contestants sent me). Another of the contestants asked everyone to send them pictures, and they are compiling them for everyone, so I should have more to share soon!
ppssttt
Toledo sis, that is a link for signing into shutterfly. When I clicked on it - it asked me to log in and took me to my alblums...

Cincy'sMom
12-13-2007, 09:48 PM
ppssttt
Toledo sis, that is a link for signing into shutterfly. When I clicked on it - it asked me to log in and took me to my alblums...

I can't figure that site out! I want my image station back!! Help! Please? How do I share the album?

shais_mom
12-13-2007, 09:51 PM
I can't figure that site out! I want my image station back!! Help! Please? How do I share the album?
I actually think its easier to share thru shutterfly.
Select all the pics that you want to share by clicking on the box. Go to the tab - SHARE ONLINE.
Send to yourself or whoever you wish. Click Send.
Next a link will come up or you can wait a couple minutes and the link will show up in an email.
C/p that link. :eek: :p

Cincy'sMom
12-13-2007, 09:53 PM
I'll try that. In the meantime...did This (http://labsnspots.shutterfly.com/action/pictures?a=67b0de21b35ee34da4f9) work?

shais_mom
12-13-2007, 09:54 PM
I'll try that. In the meantime...did This (http://labsnspots.shutterfly.com/action/pictures?a=67b0de21b35ee34da4f9) work?
yup yup~ :p

Cincy'sMom
12-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Cool!

BTW, I love your "Location"!

shais_mom
12-13-2007, 09:59 PM
I was waiting for a BACK FLIP!:D

Cincy'sMom
12-13-2007, 10:03 PM
I was waiting for a BACK FLIP!:D

With a helmet on my head is about the only time I would try it! But even then....

Cinder & Smoke
12-13-2007, 10:54 PM

W:)W, Driver!

Another batch of really Great *snappies* ...

That HUGE :D *SMILE* :D you wore in every picture says a lot!
Nice photo essay of Cecil B. deRalph doin his thing --- when do we see Film at 11?

Ya Did GOOD, Driver --- We in the PeaNut Gallery **SALUTE** ya!! ;)

Have you worn The Suit to work or Church yet?

pitc9
12-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Forgive me Amy for only just NOW posting in this thread, but I just spent my first 45 minutes at work catching up and looking at all the pictures!
WOW!! There were a lot!! :eek:

I can easily see how exciting it was to be there and do all that cool stuff!
Wow!
A chance of a lifetime!

4 Dog Mother
12-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Cool pictures, Kiddo! Did you ever quit smiling - oh, yeah, you still haven't when anyone brings it up.

anna_66
12-15-2007, 06:34 AM
Seeing all these pictures make me green with envy, and at the same time so excited that you got to do it:D

Oh yeah, I never did say I got to see your spot on TV...COOL! Glad you got paid for it!

Thanks for posting these Amy!

lizbud
12-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Terrific pictures Amy.What a great experience for you. :) here is one of
the pictures I thought was really great...... You look like a real Pro. :)

http://shim1.shutterfly.com/procgserv/47b7cc32b3127cce98548a74425800000027100AbM3LVi3cuG Lg